Cabin Steward Left Envelope for His Tip

Rebels82

Just off the Crown. We have cruised over 20 times on other cruise lines, as well as, several on Princess. On the last full day, the cabin steward left a blank envelope with the Disembarkation info. I know in the "olden days" envelopes were given for the different departments for tips. Since the automatic tips, we have never been given an envelope to tip the steward. We have given tips to stewards in the past.

We interpreted this envelope as a suggestion for his tip and did not appreciate it.

Is this a normal thing for stewards to do?

Just off the Crown. We have cruised over 20 times on other cruise lines, as well as, several on Princess. On the last full day, the cabin steward left a blank envelope with the Disembarkation info. I know in the "olden days" envelopes were given for the different departments for tips. Since the automatic tips, we have never been given an envelope to tip the steward. We have given tips to stewards in the past.

We interpreted this envelope as a suggestion for his tip and did not appreciate it.

Maybe THAT steward. I'd contact Princess and ask if this is a new thing. Maybe they need to be informed that their staff is asking for additional tips. When we tip extra, we just give cash (no envelope). I wouldn't appreciate someone so obviously asking for additional.

Just off the Crown as well. Cabin steward left a cute stuffed animal near the end of the trip, but no envelope.

While we felt he had done his job properly, it was not to a level of additional $. We did fill out a form acknowledging his work and submitted it at the main desk.

Skippy

We were on the Ruby in Dec. and yes we did get an envelope with disembarkation info and tags for our luggage but nothing mentioned about a tip, just an envelope with info in it. If nothing was said on the envelope about a tip I'd have to think you're reading way too much into the reason behind the envelope.

I don't recall having a Princess steward(ess) leave a tip envelope since auto gratuity was implemented. However I wouldn't want that to become the normal procedure.

I can't remember if they've left a commendation card but leaving either of these are not a big issue for me. If I want to do a commendation or extra tips they are readily available at the PSD. That's how I want to do it but if I feel our steward(ess) has earned an extra tip, how I get the envelope isn't a major issue for me.

While it's a little tacky to me to leave an envelope, it's nothing I'd report to Princess.

We were on the Ruby in Dec. and yes we did get an envelope with disembarkation info and tags for our luggage but nothing mentioned about a tip, just an envelope with info in it. If nothing was said on the envelope about a tip I'd have to think you're reading way too much into the reason behind the envelope.

OK, I read the post as the envelope was just left with the debarkation info. If it's an information sheet, with luggage tags and all, IN an envelope, I wouldn't even think about it.

Never had a steward leave an envelope... have had them tells us a day for two before the end of the cruise that they were leaving the ship early... switching ships in the next port, never happened... I took it as a ploy for us to tip early something extra... we tipped on the last morning, as we know service goes down hill if you tip early, lol. Some stewards are clever... we are on them after 50+ cruises on 9 different lines... we always tip extra but do last morning not earlier..

Not at all and that is when we will not tip extra.

Recently off the Crown, March 21st. We did not get any envelope. If we did I would not appreciate it.

I am also not a fan of the staff prompting you how to complete the e-mail survey. I fill it out as I see it.

We did provide our cabin steward a nice additional cash tip on the last evening, providing really nice service over the 33 days.

Maybe someone asked for an envelope and he got the rooms mixed up? It could have been a simple mistake.

I have had this happen a couple of times, but I have never thought it was anything more than the steward delivering material he was given. It has never affected how I tip.

We have never been left a white envelope from our room steward for a tip. We always go to the PSD on the last night and pick up one from the counter where there are plenty of these envelopes. We have always left a tip for our room steward.

Paul

When someone says leaving a nice cash tip, what is the norm here? I am doing an 11 night cruise in Sept.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For me, on an 11 day, if the service was great, about 50 bucks. I like to leave the impression that Americans are kind and generous people.

We have never been left a white envelope from our room steward for a tip. We always go to the PSD on the last night and pick up one from the counter where there are plenty of these envelopes. We have always left a tip for our room steward.

Paul

I will usually get a few envelopes from passenger services. If you want your steward, wine steward (Vines), waiter, etc. to be able to keep a tip you need to put it in an envelope with your cabin number on it. They are required to turn in all tips. If your tip is in an envelope with your cabin number on it (and, of course, the person's name) they will get it back if you haven't turned off the auto-tip. Otherwise whatever you give them goes into the pool.

Maybe THAT steward. I'd contact Princess and ask if this is a new thing. Maybe they need to be informed that their staff is asking for additional tips. When we tip extra, we just give cash (no envelope). I wouldn't appreciate someone so obviously asking for additional.

From what I understand, it's quite against the rules for a staffer to just take a cash tip. Procedure is that you leave a tip in a sealed envelope with his name and your cabin number, he turns it in and management checks to make sure you've auto-tipped, then the envelope with 100% of the money is returned to him. Otherwise, he's supposed to turn in whatever you gave him to the general tip pool.

If someone merits a tip, it's not too much trouble to fill out an envelope.

When someone says leaving a nice cash tip, what is the norm here? I am doing an 11 night cruise in Sept.

The norm is to be sure to leave the daily auto-tip gratuity in place which covers essentially the Princess suggested tipping amounts.

Anything in addition to that is at your discretion and in an amount that you personally feel is appropriate in addition to the gratuity you have already paid.

Another cruise line. We were in a suite, thanks to someone else, and on the penultimate day we had THREE visits from the butler, at times when he was NOT carrying out his duties, with the comment:- "Are you satisfied with the service I have given you?".

I reported him to the concierge and the Hotel Director as being no better than a street beggar. They agreed and we didn't see him again. We also did a post cruise report and were thanked by the company with OBC for our next cruise.

Sure, it often happens.

For DW and I, it's no big deal that an envelope is left in our stateroom.

You do not have to give extra if you don't want to. The choice is always yours. Correct?

Some people make much ado about nothing. Or find some odd rationale not to tip, even of they received exceptional service over and above expectation.

So, just wondering, how did you show your gratitude, verbal or otherwise, to your room steward? Or not?

Enjoy your cruise. And, if God wills, you live and not die before your next cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Don't think the Cabin Steward did this on their own. They are monitored by their supervisor closely and will not do anything beyond what is allowed by the company. If they do they will lose their job and they won't risk it. The supervisors inspect cabins routinely to see if all is in order.

I don't recall having a Princess steward(ess) leave a tip envelope since auto gratuity was implemented. However I wouldn't want that to become the normal procedure.

I can't remember if they've left a commendation card but leaving either of these are not a big issue for me. If I want to do a commendation or extra tips they are readily available at the PSD. That's how I want to do it but if I feel our steward(ess) has earned an extra tip, how I get the envelope isn't a major issue for me.

While it's a little tacky to me to leave an envelope, it's nothing I'd report to Princess.

I've never had that happen, but agree it's rather tacky .... kind of like a tour guide who make a little speech at some point during a tour indicating they they appreciate tips. That's a total turnoff to me, and will probably negatively affect the amount of tip I am likely to give.

The worst experience I had was from a coach driver on pre cruise Princess coach taking us from Airport to overnight hotel in FLL.As we were all seated he said 'Yes we do accept tips' .When we got off he dumped our luggage on sidewalk and drove off.