Mdr

conom

Variety. Do you always go to the same restaurant at home?

Food in the specialties is more cuisine-specific than in the MDR. If you want a big thick steak, it's going to be in Polo, not the MDR. If you feel like Italian and want a greater selection of pasta dishes, it's going to be in Toscana. Same principle for Jacques and Red Ginger. And, of course, if you don't want to dress "up to code" for dinner, there's the Terrace cafe which is usually better than you expect.

Nothin' wrong with the MDR, however. If the specialties went away, we would be quite happy to dine there every night.

We tend to prefer the GDR (because of the daily variety of dishes, not because it is necessarily superior to the specialties). We've been in a suite where due to the length of the cruise and the number of reservations we were entitled to, the butler booked us in the specialties every night. We cancelled most of those. We'll go to a specialty maybe once or twice on a cruise, but not more.

But we've met some people who absolutely refuse to eat in the GDR. Ever.

To each his own.

And as DrH said, Terrace is a good option for dinner (especially on the big ships).

Mura

The Terrace has many options that the GDR does not. Like fast service, grills (steak, shrimp and chops), Sushi and various rolls, salads made to your order, freshly made pasta etc...

"Your world your way" :D

Edited by PaulMCO

I am with Lyn & Paul.

MDR usually takes too long for me. At the Terrace you can have a "little of this & a little of that" rather than set meals like in the MDR. Also more variety.

The exception is when DW wants to have her salad Nicoise, which they usually only serve in the MDR. Also, sometimes on sea days we enjoy breakfast in the MDR.

Edited by Paulchili

Is the Terrace buffet style or A la Carte?

It's an "upscale" buffet. No pushing and shoving, no self service (served by staff) and often plates are carried by staff to your table (if so desired).

Wonderful choices and good food for breakfast, lunch & dinner.

Edited by Paulchili

We are going on the Nov. 2nd Riviera cruise. No sea days. Will the GDR ever be open for lunch ?

It may depend on the port

some ports where they know most of the passengers will be off the ship then it is not usually open

The Terrace has many options that the GDR does not. Like fast service, grills (steak, shrimp and chops), Sushi and various rolls, salads made to your order, freshly made pasta etc...

"Your world your way" :D

At dinner, does The Terrace have some (or all) of the same starters and entrees as the MDR, or is it a completely different offering?

I prefer the Grand Dining Room as well as the specialties rather than the Terrace. I like both of us be eating together, and the same course! And I like the spa choices on the GDR menu.

That being said, there are some dynamite menu items at the Terrace and sometimes they grill fresh fish outdoors. Lovely. And if the weather co-operates, you can sit outdoors.

Frances

We like the MDR/GDR but Terrace has lobster and great sushi every night. Also, when the weather is nice we can dine "al fresco." Terrace also saves a lot of time if there are things to do after dinner.

Waves for lunch is fast, open late (I think until 4 PM) and also has a very nice lobster/steak dish. Milkshakes, too!

Your world, your way with the best cuisine at sea!

I prefer the Grand Dining Room as well as the specialties rather than the Terrace. I like both of us be eating together, and the same course! And I like the spa choices on the GDR menu.

That being said, there are some dynamite menu items at the Terrace and sometimes they grill fresh fish outdoors. Lovely. And if the weather co-operates, you can sit outdoors.

Frances

DH loves Terrace, but I hated going there because it seemed we never were sitting down at the same time. So, I enforced a rule that we'd both select a starter plate and when we were both finished with that, we'd then go select an entree plate. Problem solved.:) We both enjoy the outside dining option that Terrace provides.

But, overall, I still prefer the relaxed fine dining atmosphere of the GDR.

At dinner, does The Terrace have some (or all) of the same starters and entrees as the MDR, or is it a completely different offering?

Some of the same items as on the GDR menu for that day, but more in addition to the GDR menu, especially as salads, appetizers and the grill.

Some of the same items as on the GDR menu for that day, but more in addition to the GDR menu, especially as salads, appetizers and the grill.

Thank you. I'm new to Oceania. Guess I need to learn the correct acronyms (GDR). ;)

DH loves Terrace, but I hated going there because it seemed we never were sitting down at the same time. So, I enforced a rule that we'd both select a starter plate and when we were both finished with that, we'd then go select an entree plate. Problem solved.:) We both enjoy the outside dining option that Terrace provides.

But, overall, I still prefer the relaxed fine dining atmosphere of the GDR.

That works as long as others do not swipe your table while you are gone

had that happen to us :eek:

we rarely go to the Terrace for dinner

I dislike the hopping up & down & prefer to be served at a table ;)

That works as long as others do not swipe your table while you are gone

had that happen to us :eek:

we rarely go to the Terrace for dinner

I dislike the hopping up & down & prefer to be served at a table ;)

LOL...we've learned to leave something at the table, my wrap or a book.

I too hate jumping up and down...which is why I prefer GDR. If I could only convert DH. At least I've gotten him trained to SIT, STAY!:). Good Boy!

WE really enjoyed sea days in the GDR. The samplers around the world were great. Although we ate most of our dinner meals at the specialty restaurants on our 18 day transoceanic cruise with 10 sea days, we feel we missed some good meals in the GDR. Our next 18 day cruise will have 30 percent GDR dining. It will e tough to forgo specialty meals. What a rough life we lead.

We do not care for the MDR but dislike the Terrace Café more (love - really love the specialty restaurants). So, if we cannot get a reservation in a specialty restaurant, we do room service from one of the specialty restaurants (only available for passengers in PH or above suites).

While this sounds negative, we really like the Riviera (and would no doubt like the Marina as well). I guess that our issue with the food is that we are used to sailing on luxury cruise lines and the MDR and Terrace Café on Oceania just don't compare favorably. On the other hand, the specialty restaurants are equal to or better than most luxury cruise line restaurants.

Food is subjective and this is how we feel about it. The opinion of others may differ.

P.S. We have no problem whatsoever with long meals ....... drinking wine and enjoying each other's company. It is the food quality that we have an issue with.

Edited by Travelcat2

I wouldn't worry, I like most all of them - mix it up a bit. When we do eat in the MDR we always ask for a table for 2, that way we can control the timing. We had a bad meal in most of the places, but that's really not likely-sometimes you just tried and it's not going to be good wherever you eat. That's why they have in suite dining.

Love breakfast in Terrace if I can eat outside. On the Terrace. Otherwise GDR.

Hate buffets. Eat dinner at the Terrace only if the outside weather/view is irresistible. Otherwise specialty or GDR.

Sometimes we actually skip dinner. [emoji33]

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by potterhill

We like the MDR/GDR but Terrace has lobster and great sushi every night. Also, when the weather is nice we can dine "al fresco." Terrace also saves a lot of time if there are things to do after dinner.

Waves for lunch is fast, open late (I think until 4 PM) and also has a very nice lobster/steak dish. Milkshakes, too!

Your world, your way with the best cuisine at sea!

At times we love the "al fresco" dining on the terrace. This summer we had the best view I think we ever had from a dinner table in Monte Carlo. Saw the whole city from our table and it was just wonderful. So you need to pick and choose where you dine. There is no one perfect place. :):):)