Taking alcohol on board

Host Sharon

I don't know how anyone would have the brass neck to do that in public. Its not something most people would do surely?

We have the odd G&T or wine on the balcony but like most others on here buy wine, drinks etc when out of the cabin.

Perhaps it's up to us as customers to point out this type of behaviour if we see it in any of the bars or venues. A bit of public humiliation might stop it.

It does seem a shame that things might change for the majority who don't break the rules because of those who do. Such is life.

I've been following this thread, and coincidentally I was waiting my turn in the barbers yesterday and listening to a conversation between the barber and the customer in the chair, as you do.

The customer said he had recently returned from a cruise on Aurora, and went on to describe his experience. One of his comments was that he thought the drinks prices a bit on the high side. He then said that someone recommended doing what many do and buy a hip flask (or two), buy their desired tipple ashore, and just purchase glasses of mixers in the bars, obviously adding the spirit from the hip flasks. He said it saved them a small fortune on the 18 night cruise.

I was quite stunned, as we always have a bottle in our cabin, but buy wine etc in the bars and restaurants, as we thought everyone does, naively perhaps.

Maybe the abuse of bringing bottles on board is more widespread than a tiny minority.

I am sure they would have been seen on the ships cctv and its these people who are going to bring forward a ban on bringing your own alcohol on board.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I don't know how anyone would have the brass neck to do that in public. Its not something most people would do surely?

We have the odd G&T or wine on the balcony but like most others on here buy wine, drinks etc when out of the cabin.

Perhaps it's up to us as customers to point out this type of behaviour if we see it in any of the bars or venues. A bit of public humiliation might stop it.

It does seem a shame that things might change for the majority who don't break the rules because of those who do. Such is life.

Some people are thick skinned and they are probably the same ones who stop their autotips at GS.

I would be sorry if we were no longer allowed to bring a bottle or two onboard with us :( We enjoy the odd drink (numbers 1, 3, 5 etc ) as we dress for dinner but, like others, still manage to spend a fair amount on booze during our trip.

Someone said that people don't take their own alcohol with them to land based hotels - but we certainly do! Again, it doesn't stop us spending in the bar.

On another note, I thought it was just me who detests Britvic tonic! I'm not a 'tonic snob', I happily drink supermarket own brand, but find Britvic particularly unpleasant. I now know that I am in good company :)

I've been following this thread, and coincidentally I was waiting my turn in the barbers yesterday and listening to a conversation between the barber and the customer in the chair, as you do.

The customer said he had recently returned from a cruise on Aurora, and went on to describe his experience. One of his comments was that he thought the drinks prices a bit on the high side. He then said that someone recommended doing what many do and buy a hip flask (or two), buy their desired tipple ashore, and just purchase glasses of mixers in the bars, obviously adding the spirit from the hip flasks. He said it saved them a small fortune on the 18 night cruise.

I was quite stunned, as we always have a bottle in our cabin, but buy wine etc in the bars and restaurants, as we thought everyone does, naively perhaps.

Maybe the abuse of bringing bottles on board is more widespread than a tiny minority.

Bit over the top pouring your own spirits in the bars. Even most Aussies would not do that, most I said not all !!! Despicable. If one cannot afford to buy a couple of drinks a day on board, one should not be able to afford to cruise. Standby for incoming.:halo:

Yep, someone will always stuff a good thing up.:evilsmile:

I would be sorry if we were no longer allowed to bring a bottle or two onboard with us :( We enjoy the odd drink (numbers 1, 3, 5 etc ) as we dress for dinner but, like others, still manage to spend a fair amount on booze during our trip.

Someone said that people don't take their own alcohol with them to land based hotels - but we certainly do! Again, it doesn't stop us spending in the bar.

On another note, I thought it was just me who detests Britvic tonic! I'm not a 'tonic snob', I happily drink supermarket own brand, but find Britvic particularly unpleasant. I now know that I am in good company :)

Can't beat ye olde Schweppes, my favourite mixer for my scotch and dry. Not a G&T man. Don't like the taste of gin.

I agree having tasted Britvic mixers on P&O UK, never again.

Bit over the top pouring your own spirits in the bars. Even most Aussies would not do that, most I said not all !!! Despicable. If one cannot afford to buy a couple of drinks a day on board, one should not be able to afford to cruise. Standby for incoming.:halo:

That comment brought back an amusing memory.

We were on a world sector on Arcadia in 2012(?) which went clockwise round Aus from Yorkeys Knob to Fremantle calling at Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Fremantle. Quite a few pax were disembarking in Brisbane and Sydney, and their places were taken by Aussies who were disembarking at the later Aus ports, in fact some only did Brisbane to Sydney.

Arcadia had a good duty free shop where e.g. a litre of Teachers was about £10. By the time we got to Melbourne the shop was virtually empty.

The Purser was an Australian lady who made the following announcement over the PA 'To all of my fellow countrymen who boarded in Australia and are disembarking in Australia I must remind you that, as we have not left Australian waters, you have no duty free allowance'.

We had made friends with several Aus couples who boarded with us in HK and through them were invited to numerous cabin and illicit deck parties which took place prior to our last Aussie port. I suspect very little of the duty free hooch made it's way ashore!

I must be the odd one out. On our last cruise I really liked the tonic that was in my G&T and saw that it was Britvic. Yes I would usually have Schweppes but my daughter tells me to try Fever Tree which she says is great.

Annieuk, I had NEVER, EVER drunk gin. Then I bought my hubby a tour of the Sipsmiths distillery in London as a pressie. After a long, hot, delayed journey we were greeted with a glass of Sipsmiths and Fevertree, I was so desperate for a cold drink I tried it, and it was a revelation. Fevertree tonics are in a separate class. Have tried one or two other gins but really only like Sipsmiths. Didn't rate the Andersons on P&O at all, although the Colonel Alexander cocktail (Crow's Nest on Aurora) using Pinkster gin was delicious.

I contacted P & O about their over complicated drinks packages but they 'have no plans to change them'. We have just been on a Celebrity cruise and paid for a package that included soft drinks, coffees, alcohol up to a certain price limit per drink and we found it convenient and much easier than having to sign for everything. Why don't P & O quote a price for a similar package? I suggest more people contact them on this subject, they may then take notice.

That comment brought back an amusing memory.

We were on a world sector on Arcadia in 2012(?) which went clockwise round Aus from Yorkeys Knob to Fremantle calling at Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Fremantle. Quite a few pax were disembarking in Brisbane and Sydney, and their places were taken by Aussies who were disembarking at the later Aus ports, in fact some only did Brisbane to Sydney.

Arcadia had a good duty free shop where e.g. a litre of Teachers was about £10. By the time we got to Melbourne the shop was virtually empty.

The Purser was an Australian lady who made the following announcement over the PA 'To all of my fellow countrymen who boarded in Australia and are disembarking in Australia I must remind you that, as we have not left Australian waters, you have no duty free allowance'.

We had made friends with several Aus couples who boarded with us in HK and through them were invited to numerous cabin and illicit deck parties which took place prior to our last Aussie port. I suspect very little of the duty free hooch made it's way ashore!

We did the Sydney - Southampton sector of the same cruise on Arcadia in 2012 - 49 days, via Africa. Lot of Australians on board, as well of course many Brits doing the 'Worldie.' Along the way, on occasions the ship did permit purchase of liquor from the shop for in cabin consumption, a good time was had by all, but my bar bill on arrival in Southampton was still significant. Tis the hot weather that makes us thirsty you know. Glad you had a good experience with the colonials anyway.;p

I contacted P & O about their over complicated drinks packages but they 'have no plans to change them'. We have just been on a Celebrity cruise and paid for a package that included soft drinks, coffees, alcohol up to a certain price limit per drink and we found it convenient and much easier than having to sign for everything. Why don't P & O quote a price for a similar package? I suggest more people contact them on this subject, they may then take notice.

Considering the way many Brits are with alcohol, do we really want All Inclusive Drinks Packages on P&O? IMO it really would be like Benidorm at Sea.

We've never taken alcohol on board with us (no room in the suitcases). Although we have bought the odd bottle of something to try at different ports. It wouldn't bother me if they stopped letting people bring alcohol on board as we book a cruise for the destinations. It certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker for us and from some of the comments on here it sounds as if some people's behaviour is going to affect things in the future. I too hope they don't go the way of the All inclusive.

Well I've just read on a Princess thread that their all inclusive package has just gone up and would now cost a couple £1450 for a 2 week cruise. Makes you realise what a good deal we get with P&O and their policy .......

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

That is an amazing amount for 2 weeks drinks. We have wine every evening ( sometimes ordering a bottle but saving half for the next night as we are not great drinkers ) and we generally have a drink after which ever show we go to. I think that we were around £200 on our 12 night cruise in March so we would definitely not get through £1450 in drinks over a 2 week cruise. I would not welcome the introduction of all in packages. We once went on an all inclusive holiday and the behaviour of some of the people left a lot to be desired, some seemed to think that they had to drink the total cost of the holiday. We have been on Celebrity with a "free" drinks package but we still only drank the same as we do on P&O because we are aware of the health implications of over indulging.

We like to buy a bottle of spirit and a few mixers via the room service and chill out on the balcony.

Later on finish off buy buying a few drinks around the ships bars .

I find nothing complicated about paying for what we consume and think the prices are reasonable

compared to other cruise lines.

A few months ago we were in Manchester Airport mid afternoon , when a final call was given for

a flight to Germany and out of the sky lounge came at least a dozen well tanked up Germans .

They then decided to run and jump on the waiting area seats shouting and screaming like little girls .(insult to little girls really) and using foul language .Not nice for family's with kids to listen to or anyone else for that matter. One guy near us said " Looks like they have had their moneys worth".

Just so happy we were not boarding their plane, felt sorry for the other passengers that were flying with them .

So it's not just the Brits in my experience that do this.

Only last night on the news a plane heading for Liverpool was diverted to Bristol .Same old story .

Getting back to the P&O ships ,in our opinion P&O have got the balance right for drinks.

Basically ... you drink it and you pay for it , non of this lets get our moneys worth culture.

There are plenty of cruise lines that cater for All INCLUSIVE drinks if that's what people want,

we have been on such ships and had a great time no problems at all but those ships tend to be

a bit pricey hoping to get you to buy the drinks package from them .

Some of our drinks they would have wanted a surcharge fee on top of paying for the drinks package.

We like P&O with the drinks policy as it is now ,so if it aint broke why mend it ?

If we were not happy we would move to a cruise line that met our needs .

Edited by kalos

Considering the way many Brits are with alcohol, do we really want All Inclusive Drinks Packages on P&O? IMO it really would be like Benidorm at Sea.
Yeah,its common knowledge all expats in Spain are alcoholics,talk about steriotyping,lol.

Benidorm, San Antonio,Magaluf take your choice Brits and unlimited alcohol.

Have to say we have purchased an all inclusive package with Celebrity for next year and would never even think that we would cause an issue. I do think that people worry too much. Remember that on a ship the Captain can throw you off ......

There are many AI cruisers out there from the UK who like a drink in moderation who, like us, view Benidorm and Magaluf as our holiday from Hell.

With 20 P&O and 18 Thomson cruises under my belt I have not seen any significant difference in on board behaviour due to alcohol despite Thomson (TUI) having drink packages. TUI's Discoveries include drinks in the fare and all agree it is excellent value for money. For example there are 11 named wines available by the glass including prosecco and there are a lot of well known named brands of spirits etc.

P&O don't need a drinks package if they give lots of onboard credit.

Well I've just read on a Princess thread that their all inclusive package has just gone up and would now cost a couple £1450 for a 2 week cruise. Makes you realise what a good deal we get with P&O and their policy .......

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Correct, Princess Australia ships AU$89.99 per day for the drinks package and US ships US$59.99 per day, plus 15% gratuity. (No auto gratuities on Princess ships based in Australia, e.g. Sun/Sea/Golden Princesses.:hearteyes:)

Yes P&O UK are very good with their policy. P&O Australia you cannot take any booze on and they even tip out your sports bottles in case you are smuggling spirits on. :evilsmile:

Wow, we really are on the goody two shoes thread here are we not. We regularly cruise with various lines but mostly with P&O and our bar bill is rarely less than £1000. I have to say that neither of us have been falling down drunk but we have enjoyed our drinks and that is, like the French, we drink with our meals . By the way I now lots of ex pats in Spain and France, none of whom are alcoholics. I trust that on your next cruise you will all be tucked up in bed by 2200 and tut tut along at the rest of us who enjoy a drink and a laugh with rest of the guys. By the way how many of those of you who decry alcohol are actually nicotine junkies!!

Oh and we actually quite like Benidorm!!!

Peter and Jenny

I suppose the amount one spends on board re booze, depends on one's desires and capacity to pay for it. No doubt many Brit cruisers, just exist on the old age pension, like in Australia, if you get it. In Australia, age pension is means tested. There is no inherent right to an aged pension. We don't get it.

But don't get me started on that.

Sorry for going off track on the thread. (BTW, I thought Benidorm was a cough syrup, sold at Boots, until someone enlightened me, lol.) Sounds a nice place.

Wow, we really are on the goody two shoes thread here are we not. We regularly cruise with various lines but mostly with P&O and our bar bill is rarely less than £1000. I have to say that neither of us have been falling down drunk but we have enjoyed our drinks and that is, like the French, we drink with our meals . By the way I now lots of ex pats in Spain and France, none of whom are alcoholics. I trust that on your next cruise you will all be tucked up in bed by 2200 and tut tut along at the rest of us who enjoy a drink and a laugh with rest of the guys. By the way how many of those of you who decry alcohol are actually nicotine junkies!!

Oh and we actually quite like Benidorm!!!

Peter and Jenny

We certainly aren't goody two shoes. We just buy our drinks on board. Wine at dinner every night, pre dinner drinks and the odd glass at lunch too. I'm afraid we don't smoke though.;)