Dave’s Live From Oosterdam 21-day Southern Caribbean, Jan. 29 – Feb. 19, 2016

RetiredMustang

Hello all,

I’m doing another “Live From” blog, this time from MS Oosterdam on a 21-day Southern Caribbean Seafarer/Wayfarer Collector’s cruise.

Here is our itinerary:

- Jan 29: Fort Lauderdale, depart 4 p.m.

- Jan 30: Half Moon Cay, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.

- Jan 31: Grand Turk, noon – 8 p.m.

- Feb 01: Samana, Dominican Republic, 10a.m. – 5p.m.

- Feb 02: At Sea

- Feb 03: Kralendijk, Bonaire, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.

- Feb 04: Willemstad, Curacao, 7 a.m. – 11 p.m.

- Feb 05; Oranjestad, Aruba, 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.

- Feb 06: At Sea

- Feb 07: At Sea

- Feb 08: Fort Lauderdale, 7 a.m. – 4 p.m.

- Feb 09: At Sea

- Feb 10: At Sea

- Feb 11: Philipsburg, Sint Maarten, 8 a.m. – 3 p.m.

- Feb 12: Castries, Saint Lucia, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.

- Feb 13: Bridgetown, Barbados, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

- Feb 14: Fort-De-France, Martinique, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

- Feb 15: Basseterre, St Kitts, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

- Feb 16: St. Thomas, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

- Feb 17: At Sea

- Feb 18: Half Moon Cay, 8 a.m. – 3 p.m.

- Feb 19: Fort Lauderdale, arrive 7 a.m.

Here is a map of our itinerary:

Oosterdam%20itinerary_zpstjsvihm9.jpg

This is a special cruise for us. I retired from U.S. Federal service effective last Saturday – the RetiredMustang is now fully retired, so we are celebrating that, in addition to our usual desire to escape the Washington, D.C. winter. And, we have become 5-star Mariners, so we have a few more perks.

The bottom line is that we expect to relax and enjoy this cruise even more so than usual. We have been to all the ports on this itinerary before, some many times, but plan to try some new things at some and enjoy old haunts in others (Paradise Point comes to mind).

I will attempt to do this as a live blog as I have done before, but it will depend on the onboard internet speeds, and whether I am able to spend as much time blogging, or decide to get a life more often. I will keep track and post reports for each day in chronological order, but they may come after the fact. However, I will keep track of any of your questions and will answer them as quickly as possible; but I just may not get a day’s On Location and my activities posted actually on that day.

I have a new toy/tool this time, if I can figure out how to use it properly – a portable scanner that can save scans as either .pdf or .jpg files. With a .jpg file, I can re-size and rotate it, upload it to photobucket or CC photo gallery, and then post it as I did with photos on previous blogs. The main difference is that the scanner hopefully will do a lot better job of keeping the text in focus – I know I did sort of OK most times, but I have had some pretty fuzzy stuff from time to time. Maybe the new scanner will help.

What I won’t have is an insta-read thermometer like Crew News did a few weeks ago, so I will not be reporting the temperature of room service milk, eggs, etc. I have to admit that I was fascinated by Roger’s reports; but I just don’t have that technology or skill set.

At any rate, we are starting another HAL adventure, which I will report as best I can, and I hope you will come along.

More later,

Dave

Pre-cruise activity

This was almost a déjà vu all over again cruise, like the Snowmaggedon escape we had in 2010. My last actual work day was Thursday, Jan. 21. The weather forecast was for 24-30 inches (60-75 cm) of snow Friday-Saturday, with up to 40 inches (one meter) in the suburbs. We discussed trying to escape Thursday afternoon/evening, but decided to hunker down and wait for the road crews to clear enough for us to get out Tuesday or Wendesday. As it turned out, we got (only!) about 20 inches (50 cm) where we live, but the area northwest of us did indeed receive a meter of snow.

On Monday, we decided to leave late morning, and made it south a couple of hundred miles; the Va. Dept. of Transportation had done an excellent job of clearing the roads in a short time. That Monday escape left fairly easy driving days to south Florida. We arrived Wednesday, coming down the Florida Turnpike in torrential rain, but we learned later we luckily missed the tornado by a few hours. We were/are staying in Plantation FL near Ft. Lauderdale and expect to have an easy drive to the port tomorrow.

I will check in again either tomorrow morning, or after we are aboard tomorrow afternoon.

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Oh my-this is the EXACT cruise I want to do so will look forward to all your future posts.

Congrats on retirement-it's great! My husband and I love it. (now we just need our Canadian dollar to get back up there so we can plan a long cruise):)

Congratulations on your milestones! And many thanks for taking us along on your exciting cruise. I always enjoy your reports! May you both stay safe and healthy to enjoy the Oosterdam - I think she's the most elegant ship I've been on, just something special about her. And some of your ports will be new to me so I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences. Blessings and Bon Voyage! m--

Friday, January 29, embarkation day

A quick post to check in. Well, we are aboard Oosterdam. We drove to the port, arriving after 11 a.m. We did a quick check in and were able to board right away. Our cabin was ready, and our bags came by about 1:30. We have unpacked and I was able to create an internet account. I will post more after boat drill (or this evening).

More later,

Dave

Friday, January 29, embarkation day

A quick post to check in. Well, we are aboard Oosterdam. We drove to the port, arriving after 11 a.m. We did a quick check in and were able to board right away. Our cabin was ready, and our bags came by about 1:30. We have unpacked and I was able to create an internet account. I will post more after boat drill (or this evening).

More later,

Dave

Hope your having fun Dave. What kind of Internet account to buy on board??? What were the options? I'm hoping for one of their newer plans after the dry dock in April.

First of all - many congratulations on your retirement! Doesn't it feel good to board a ship knowing that you don't have to go back to work afterwards?:D I am so looking forward to your reports, especially as I am doing this itinerary next year. And please don't worry about not taking food temperatures - I'm not sure how it was relevant anyway, as something like that would vary from tray to tray, room to room, and so on.

Bon Voyage! and I will be watching you sailaway.:)