Is a Celebrity Cruise too old a demographic for us?

bhls701

Hello all,

We are looking to book a cruise to the Caribbean in December of this year. We are both 50, but prefer the 35-50 crowd vs. the 50-65 crowd. We are interested in a 7 night cruise that visit 4 islands not 3 as we would prefer only 2 at sea days to 3 as we would rather see more islands. The cruise that seems to fit us best for timing and criteria is the Celebrity Silhouette. We are concerned that the cruise might lean more towards the 50-65 crowd than what we would prefer. Given this is in December and only 7 nights do you believe we would be okay or would this still lean towards the older crowd? Thank you

As a frequent Celebrity cruiser, my experience has been that on seven-night cruises the passengers tend to be younger than on longer cruises. I chuckled when you said 50 to 65 crowd because I have been on cruises when 65 would be the youngest passengers!

The fact is, though, you just never know. Cruisers when schools are generally keeping tend to be older as a whole. Cruisers when school is on holiday or vacation tend to be more family oriented and younger. My experience has been that early December crusies tend to have older, older than seventy often, passengers. Cruises in mid-to-later December have younger cruisers and families.

I love Silhouette, by the way. Celebrity is trying hard to attract younger passengers. You might be very pleased with your cruise, but there is no guarantee the passenger mix will be what you want.

As a frequent Celebrity cruiser, my experience has been that on seven-night cruises the passengers tend to be younger than on longer cruises. I chuckled when you said 50 to 65 crowd because I have been on cruises when 65 would be the youngest passengers!

The fact is, though, you just never know. Cruisers when schools are generally keeping tend to be older as a whole. Cruisers when school is on holiday or vacation tend to be more family oriented and younger. My experience has been that early December crusies tend to have older, older than seventy often, passengers. Cruises in mid-to-later December have younger cruisers and families.

I love Silhouette, by the way. Celebrity is trying hard to attract younger passengers. You might be very pleased with your cruise, but there is no guarantee the passenger mix will be what you want.

You can be 70 and be very youthful or 50 and appear to be much older.

Hello all,

We are looking to book a cruise to the Caribbean in December of this year. We are both 50, but prefer the 35-50 crowd vs. the 50-65 crowd. We are interested in a 7 night cruise that visit 4 islands not 3 as we would prefer only 2 at sea days to 3 as we would rather see more islands. The cruise that seems to fit us best for timing and criteria is the Celebrity Silhouette. We are concerned that the cruise might lean more towards the 50-65 crowd than what we would prefer. Given this is in December and only 7 nights do you believe we would be okay or would this still lean towards the older crowd? Thank you

How short-sighted can you be? I'm not a Celebrity fan but I do believe they attract a more accomplished and well-traveled clientele than most other mass market lines. It really has little to do with age and more to do "worldliness."

We are Oceania loyalists and have seen everything from young families to seasoned elders. What they have in common (more than age), i .e., a cosmopolitan lifestyle, is "what makes them O sailors?"

At the bottom line, do you want to have dinner conversations about world affairs and garner a few valuable professional contacts OR do you want to just talk about "how 'bout them Niners?"

If you want water slides, noisy pool action, more active night life, go Royal Caribbean or NCL. Celebrity IMO has a different vibe. I want to say a little more upscale and refined. No water slides, no surfing, no high diving shows. Better food. To me a Caribbean cruise is about having a good time. Most islands are the same.

How short-sighted can you be? I'm not a Celebrity fan but I do believe they attract a more accomplished and well-traveled clientele than most other mass market lines. It really has little to do with age and more to do "worldliness."

We are Oceania loyalists and have seen everything from young families to seasoned elders. What they have in common (more than age), i .e., a cosmopolitan lifestyle, is "what makes them O sailors?"

At the bottom line, do you want to have dinner conversations about world affairs and garner a few valuable professional contacts OR do you want to just talk about "how 'bout them Niners?"

I'm sorry but as a person in my 30s are you saying that i do not know how to talk about world affairs, or am a professional person with a career? i don't give a crap about sports.

two way ageism here

Age is but a number... You can be 70 and be very youthful or 50 and appear to be much older.

...Celebrity IMO has a different vibe. I want to say a little more upscale and refined. No water slides, no surfing, no high diving shows. Better food. To me a Caribbean cruise is about having a good time. Most islands are the same.

Agree with both of these replies. :)

Book the cruise you want and go in with an open mind. Age is but a number... we have met some fabulous 25 year olds and some fabulous 75 year olds on cruises.

Age is a mindset and attitude.

Have met many young 80 yo and old 40yo.

Last two weeks in December will have a younger in years crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

If you want water slides, noisy pool action, more active night life, go Royal Caribbean or NCL. Celebrity IMO has a different vibe. I want to say a little more upscale and refined. No water slides, no surfing, no high diving shows. Better food. To me a Caribbean cruise is about having a good time. Most islands are the same.

^^^^^ this one.

On a Celebrity cruise to Bermuda, we had traditional dining and when we went to our table, a couple was already seated. They both had white hair and probably were in their late 70's. We thought, oh no, wish we had been seated with someone younger.

Well, we had more fun at dinner and couldn't wait to dine with them every night. We also met up with them numerous times around the ship. Often, they did not get off the ship in port so it was fun to hear all the scuttlebutt they heard about passengers and crew.:D

Fast forward to the next year when we were going to Bermuda again. Guess who we met up with?:) We kept in contact with them for a number of years but sadly, have lost contact.

This has got to be one of the most self-serving, snooty, elitist comments I've seen on these boards in a long time. If you represent the clientele on an Oceania cruise, I don't want to be anywhere near those ships.

Edited by Cruzaholic41

You just never know.....we've been on Carnival and the overall demographics seemed to be a bit more "mature" than a cruise on HAL, which IMO, has a bad rap for attracting the geriatric set. It all depends on timing, length, itinerary, price and promotions etc. You kinda' have to make for your own good time and as there's over 1000 on the ship....I'm sure you'll find your contemporaries.

It really has little to do with age and more to do "worldliness."

I am probably as "cosmopolitan" and "worldly" as most seasoned cruisers.

However, somehow I manage to leave an impression as that of a drunken sailor.

Guess I should avoid Oceania?

You hit the nail right on the head! BTW, I started sailing Celebrity when I was 36.

It seems silly to focus on age to the apparent exclusion of ambience. It's better to ask about the activities, and the level of entertainment, in trying to establish the "mood" of a cruise. Better to read reviews of past cruises, possibly scan the roll calls of upcoming cruises, to get a feel for the ambience. In any event, few cruises are completely dominated by any one niche - you are talking about a couple of thousand people sharing the ship with you - how large a herd of compatible attitudes is necessary?

Length of cruise and date of cruise is way more important in determining what may be an average age , no matter what cruise line .

For OP's 7 night in Dec , if it includes the holidays , younger , if early Dec , older.

OP in 50's ? Looking for 35-50= Holiday cruise.

Edited by MCC retired

This has got to be one of the most self-serving, snooty, elitist comments I've seen on these boards in a long time. If you represent the clientele on an Oceania cruise, I don't want to be anywhere near those ships.

Neither snooty or elitist.

Just a dose of reality.

All a relatively new cruiser needs to do is read a few pages of CC threads associated with each cruise line and s/he will come away with a feel for its ambiance and tenor.

Are the CC exchanges more about chair hogs, smuggling alcohol, avoiding gratuities, nickel/diming, booze cruises, passenger hordes, amusement park atmosphere and mediocre food OR are they more heavily focused on sharing the finer points of travel challenges, maximizing itineraries, etc. You'll see far more of the former on some of the mass market lines (less so on lines like HAL, Princess, Celebrity and Disney) and more of the latter on the "upscale" mass markets and premium or luxury lines (e.g., Oceania, Regent, et al).

Of course, every line has some wonderful and worldly, "cosmopolitan" customers whose personal needs, desires and means may have them favoring (out of preference or necessity or both) what a certain cruise company has as a significant part of its core culture.

But one thing is sure: the choice has far less to do with a single factor such as age and little to do with classism (i.e., "we're better than you.") After all, why do some mass market lines have separate suite environments (the ship within a ship for folks with different [not "better"] priorities? In part, they are trying to appeal to clientele who don't want to deal with the mobs, the Vegas wannabe environment, etc.

For us: we've done lines like NCL and RCI in the past. The food alone, as well as the service, mobs and nickel/diming were enough to cross them off the list.

After careful research and additional experience over the years, we finally settled in on the "premium" segment because it best suits our needs while providing exceptional value in the "net daily rate" for any particular cruise. Importantly, many of the passengers we've met are well traveled, professionally accomplished and "cosmopolitan." When grandkid is ready to cruise, we'll add Disney to that portfolio. Why? Despite the price, Disney does things right and it will provide a very familiar and comfortable environment for her.

Bottom line is: I'm on vacation and, within my ability to afford it, I want to avoid as many irritants as possible while I pursue my interests. Choosing a venue with a significant number of like-minded people is merely good common sense.

Hardly snooty or elitist.

neither snooty or elitist.

Just a dose of reality.

All a relatively new cruiser needs to do is read a few pages of cc threads associated with each cruise line and s/he will come away with a feel for its ambiance and tenor.

Are the cc exchanges more about chair hogs, smuggling alcohol, avoiding gratuities, nickel/diming, booze cruises, passenger hordes, amusement park atmosphere and mediocre food or are they more heavily focused on sharing the finer points of travel challenges, maximizing itineraries, etc. You'll see far more of the former on some of the mass market lines (less so on lines like hal, princess, celebrity and disney) and more of the latter on the "upscale" mass markets and premium or luxury lines (e.g., oceania, regent, et al).

Of course, every line has some wonderful and worldly, "cosmopolitan" customers whose personal needs, desires and means may have them favoring (out of preference or necessity or both) what a certain cruise company has as a significant part of its core culture.

But one thing is sure: The choice has far less to do with a single factor such as age and little to do with classism (i.e., "we're better than you.") after all, why do some mass market lines have separate suite environments (the ship within a ship for folks with different [not "better"] priorities? In part, they are trying to appeal to clientele who don't want to deal with the mobs, the vegas wannabe environment, etc.

For us: We've done lines like ncl and rci in the past. The food alone, as well as the service, mobs and nickel/diming were enough to cross them off the list.

After careful research and additional experience over the years, we finally settled in on the "premium" segment because it best suits our needs while providing exceptional value in the "net daily rate" for any particular cruise. Importantly, many of the passengers we've met are well traveled, professionally accomplished and "cosmopolitan." when grandkid is ready to cruise, we'll add disney to that portfolio. Why? Despite the price, disney does things right and it will provide a very familiar and comfortable environment for her.

Bottom line is: I'm on vacation and, within my ability to afford it, i want to avoid as many irritants as possible while i pursue my interests. Choosing a venue with a significant number of like-minded people is merely good common sense.

Hardly snooty or elitist.

seconded!

So anyways...back to the ship in question by the op...I think Silhouette is an excellent choice. Celebrity is slowly upgrading entertainment and activities aboard their ships with every dry dock, and Silhouette has already been refurbished. I'm in my low 40s and I had a great time on the Eclipse a few months ago.

I'm 35 & my, soon to be, wife is 24. We did a 11nts cruise on Equinox earlier this year.

The ship was fantastic but most people onboard was a lot older then us. Sometimes it didn't matter at all and sometimes it did.

Entertainment are more focused on a older crowd, for an example, I like Trivias and normaly (when we sail RCCL) I do pretty good, but on Celebrity I did realy bad. The questions wasn't focused on the things and years that I'm used to.

We did have FEW experieces when older people "looked down on us" and thought that they where better than us just because of their age.

Would I sail on Celebrity again? In a heartbeat! But I think that in the Caribbean we shouldn't do cruises on Celebrity that's longer then 7nts or just do back 2 back cruises that are 7nts each. From what I have found out, longer cruises often = a higher age. It's the same on Royal.

Edited by Extra Kim

So anyways...back to the ship in question by the op...I think Silhouette is an excellent choice. Celebrity is slowly upgrading entertainment and activities aboard their ships with every dry dock, and Silhouette has already been refurbished. I'm in my low 40s and I had a great time on the Eclipse a few months ago.

Paul, I know I'm not allowed to do this here, but "anyways", used by a person of your stature?

It's "anyway" all day long! There is no word "anyways". Now, please, no "irregardless" or "often times" either. Marco Rubio lost me when he said the latter in a speech.

However, I'll forgive you as you live in the Keys!:D

All in fun, best wishes and, yes, Celebrity is definitely a cut above CCL, RCI and NCL, and I'm a young 57! Oooh, 58 comes in September. :eek: