Major QM2 interior refit 2016

QM1

I hadn't sent a statement from Cunard before that committed to completing the cabin refurbs prior to the 2017 WC. Sounds promising that our Christmas Caribbean cabin will have been completed when we get there.

We are on QM2 on 2 March 2017, Sydney - Hong Kong. First time on Cunard. Are the cabins getting a refurbish, i.e. new beds/carpet/furniture?

We just sailed the May 10th sailing....and I have to say that the beds were wonderfully comfortable! I wouldn't change a thing! (no, we weren't in the Queen/Princess category)

We just sailed the May 10th sailing....and I have to say that the beds were wonderfully comfortable! I wouldn't change a thing! (no, we weren't in the Queen/Princess category)

Thanks for that report, happy cruising to you.

We are on the first trip from Hamburg on 21st June, Hope to take many photo's while on the cruise.

We will do TA on 1 September 2016 from Southampton to New York. Please post the photo's of all the new features. Looking forward!

There is a list of the cabin grades and when they are being refurbished - will hunt it out for you and add it to this post. From memory it is the Grills and balconies (maybe not all?) this year and the ocean view and insides during 2017.

You'll be on not long before me - I did that cruise in 2014 and had a wonderful time. Still tossing up whether to book HKK to SIN or DXB to Southampton to go with the 10 days or perhaps a shorter one in Australian waters before then.

Here it is Uncle Les https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/refit_schedule

Thanks for that.

A bit of a tight turn into the dry dock I would imagine

There are some youtube videos of the whole operation - just use search term qm2 2016 refit. Here's a fan made time lapse that shows the whole operation in under three minutes:

As I understand it they only have a narrow window of time to get her in there. At high tide she has barely a meter of water under her keel as she goes over the dock sill.

We will do TA on 1 September 2016 from Southampton to New York. Please post the photo's of all the new features. Looking forward!

So far it looks like it's only at the interior demolition phase. Lot of junk on the aft end as seen here. It looks like the teak decking is either town up or covered with plywood.

Edited by BlueRiband

There are some youtube videos of the whole operation - just use search term qm2 2016 refit. Here's a fan made time lapse that shows the whole operation in under three minutes:

As I understand it they only have a narrow window of time to get her in there. At high tide she has barely a meter of water under her keel as she goes over the dock sill.

Many thanks for posting the link to the video. Very interesting as is the next video that appears.

Can't wait to get onboard in July!

No progress photos from Cunard yet, but the contractor working on the restaurants and Corinthia Lounge posted a link on the twitter page: "...The Mayfair Shops area is also undergoing an extensive remodeling onboard on Deck Three to house designer brands for fine jewellery and watches..."

No word on if "$10 Treasurers" and "Gold by the Inch" will be banished. These cheap sales tables turn that grand space into a flea market. :(

Edited by BlueRiband

Wow! Thanks for sharing!:D

No progress photos from Cunard yet, but the contractor working on the restaurants and Corinthia Lounge posted a link on the twitter page: "...The Mayfair Shops area is also undergoing an extensive remodeling onboard on Deck Three to house designer brands for fine jewellery and watches..."

No word on if "$10 Treasurers" and "Gold by the Inch" will be banished. These cheap sales tables turn that grand space into a flea market. :(

I am betting they leave the cheap sales tables out to make money. The crowds are huge when they do.

Facebookers might want to join

https://www.facebook.com/G32GBQM2/

It appears that Contractors are taking some snaps & posting them here.

Some interior pics of lifted carpets and a thoroughly dismantled Chart Room. Exterior pics of scaffolding going up on the aft. Superstructure & many of the glass screens being removed and pics of the port side hull in the dock, where paint is being scraped & the pods on that side have already have had their props removed.

Comments, but no photos stating that work is taking place on the shops in the Grand Lobby & also that a company called "Dalesauna" is installing a new Spa Pool on the "Aft deck" - Which I'm presuming is the Deck 8 pool.

Based on what I've seen on there, Cunard weren't kidding when they said it was a big job!

Edited by JollyJackTar52

Cunard has posted some videos on their own official site:

QM2 Remastered - Deconstruction

In the dry dock video Captain Oprey mentions that the refit is a 90M GBP (approx 130M USD) job with about 2600 contractors. There's a nice shot that shows how she barely fits in the dock and her keel blocks are lowered to only 850mm (33.5in).

Edited by BlueRiband

I know it's marketing but I love the videos that Cunard do. The ships are majestic and so much the centrepiece. They just seem to covet their ships and I appreciate it!

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes everything ! With this major Remastering Cunard are not leaving a stone unturned, even the tenders have been removed and are at the moment being repainted.

Seasoned Cunarders are in for a real treat ;)

Of course they will. And all that keeps your fares down.

I must admit, I have relatives I am not particularly fond of and I bought them junk at these tables as souvenirs. :eek: