Why the higher prices?

I need some help and guidance and please I mean no disrespect to die hard Royal Caribbean fans but why are the prices so much higher then Carnival and even Norwegian for the same length cruise to similar ports. In fact I priced a 7 day to Bermuda on Norwegian that included unlimited beverages and it was still cheaper then a 5 day Bermuda on Royal Caribbean, same time of year as well. So what am I missing? Does RC include things that other lines don't? I know they have a newer fleet but so does Norwegian, I'm just trying to figure this all out as I'm new to cruising. Thanks!

I need some help and guidance and please I mean no disrespect to die hard Royal Caribbean fans but why are the prices so much higher then Carnival and even Norwegian for the same length cruise to similar ports. In fact I priced a 7 day to Bermuda on Norwegian that included unlimited beverages and it was still cheaper then a 5 day Bermuda on Royal Caribbean, same time of year as well. So what am I missing? Does RC include things that other lines don't? I know they have a newer fleet but so does Norwegian, I'm just trying to figure this all out as I'm new to cruising. Thanks!

My extended family is split between Loyal To Royal and Carnival Cruiser.

While both appeal to large age groups, my personal feelings are Royal Ships offer more than what I have seen from pictures of Carnival.

As others have said, it's all about demand. Lots of folks from outside the US come here to sail on their ships (especially Oasis class), which increases it even more compared to other lines I've been on (cruised alot, Royal just seems to have more international guests than NCL or Carnival).

If flowriders and rock walls aren't a requirement (ok there are other things too) check Celebrity as well (if interested of course).

I've got 2 NYE cruises booked (Royal Allure OTS vs. Celebrity Silhouette, have yet to decide) and the Celebrity is 10% less, includes free classic drink packages for my wife and I, and is a normal balcony vs. a Boardwalk balcony on Allure.

Allure is Allure (been on it and Oasis), but that is a good difference in net cost for what is nearly the same route. Celebrity just flat out gives better perks at usually the same or better cabin price. Plus they have some 9-12 day Caribbean routes that Royal doesn't do regularly out of FL.

Edited by JasonV1

Wife and I switch between CCL and RCL. Taken as a whole, IMO they are on par with each other. We are more geared towards embark/debark ports and the savings of not having to travel far to get to a ship. But every now and then we will head to fla. for variety and pickup a different ship there.

Back to price RCL is only slight higher than CCL in general is you book 1.5-2 yrs out. After that RCL rises in price then you are at the mercy of their bogo marketing sales to which they are now a running joke.

Edited by JKrise

It's about branding. RCL has distinguished & established themselves a better cruise line operator & brand more so than most others via their actions. As a result, than can and do charge more. And people are willing to pay more for a particular brand.

Cruising is about more than just the itinerary. People will likely consider a range of things such as facilities, entertainment, dining quality and options, cabin and ship decor/ambience/comfort, kids programs...the list goes on! What every consumer perceives as value will be affected by a different range of these things. Royal obviously has enough people perceiving value in their product to charge higher prices than Carnival and Norwegian.

In Australia, RCI have been named the preferred line over P & O which is the traditional line. I have only travelled RCI so don't exactly know why. Perhaps the mega ship mentality? I must say I was impressed with Voyager. Of course, now Ovation is coming here and it seems some Aussies are very happy.

Wow thanks everyone for the very insightful replys and they all make a lot of sense when I really think about it. And as much as I love Disney, been to WDW 6 times I will never pay those prices they charge it's crazy! I'm traveling with my husband and teenage daughters so everything adds up quick! Guess I'll just keep looking for a good deal and when I see one I can live with I better jump on it. My husband thinks it's crazy to book something 10-11 months out but from what I can tell from this board that's not unusual at all.

In Australia, RCI have been named the preferred line over P & O which is the traditional line. I have only travelled RCI so don't exactly know why. Perhaps the mega ship mentality? I must say I was impressed with Voyager. Of course, now Ovation is coming here and it seems some Aussies are very happy.

It will be interesting if RCI retains that status with the AUD still dropping and Princess now having a very competitively priced drinks package, roughly 2/3 of the price of the RCI equivalent.

Wow thanks everyone for the very insightful replys and they all make a lot of sense when I really think about it. And as much as I love Disney, been to WDW 6 times I will never pay those prices they charge it's crazy! I'm traveling with my husband and teenage daughters so everything adds up quick! Guess I'll just keep looking for a good deal and when I see one I can live with I better jump on it. My husband thinks it's crazy to book something 10-11 months out but from what I can tell from this board that's not unusual at all.

Speaking of booking a year out. RC had great prices on Harmony when they released the 2016-17 cruises. Best ever for Oasis class. Stay tuned...what goes up must come down - just like the record profits and stock prices at RC.

All it took last time was some bad press (Carnival) in the cruise industry and prices dropped to record lows.

our experience is that ncl carnival and rci basically present the same product, just deliver it a bit differently

most our Ncl experience was pre-freestyle and we liked it better that way

My wife works in the travel industry and the way we book, we often get a slightly better deal with C over RCI on early booked cruises with flexibility. Closer in, and deal shopping we often are looking for the best deal or a departure from a specific port.

Royal has a very Loyal following of long time cruisers. Some are pretty set on RCI only, or maybe celebrity. Others range off on other lines. Carnival has a similar cadre. A lot of people get started on one line, start to get some perks and repeat cruiser deals and then just settle in on that cruise line. Nothing wrong with that. We've cruised a ton of lines, lots of them have been gobbled up or went out of bidness, especially after 911. We do enjoy Platinum Carnival status but are building time with RCI as well.

Frustrated with NCL, they changed their lattitudes program so many times. We've been in, out and back in Silver status about 3-4 times depending on when they start counting, what kind of cruise they count, and whether they count cruises you took, got credit for, then they took the credit away!

:)

To those who are willing to pay the price for RCCL the answer to your question is "yes" RC does include things others don't. Now, what those "things" are is purely subjective. For me, it's a nicer ship, a different experience, perks for frequent cruisers, different make up of passengers. I've cruised Carnival, NCL, and Princess. RCCL is more to my liking and as long as the price is acceptable to me, I'll continue to choose them. But additionally, the price on most cruises for comparable cabins is not usually that far off. But as for amenities... depends on what you consider most important.

We booked a mini suite on our upcoming cruise on the Navigator well over a year ago, when the itineraries first came out. We are in a group so the group rate then was just "slightly" lower than the standard rates were at that time. I was pricing out the Jr Suites again yesterday just to see how much higher they were and they were $1055.00 more PER PERSON!. :eek: And that was with the BOGOHO promo. It's understandable though. Our sailing is selling out. All that are left are mini suites and inside cabins. All other types of cabins are completely sold out. The are not going to offer low prices on a sailing that is selling well. I am so glad we booked early. I don't see us getting any price drops.

To those who are willing to pay the price for RCCL the answer to your question is "yes" RC does include things others don't. Now, what those "things" are is purely subjective. For me, it's a nicer ship, a different experience, perks for frequent cruisers, different make up of passengers. I've cruised Carnival, NCL, and Princess. RCCL is more to my liking and as long as the price is acceptable to me, I'll continue to choose them. But additionally, the price on most cruises for comparable cabins is not usually that far off. But as for amenities... depends on what you consider most important.

Agree with most of what you say with the exception of "different makeup of passengers." Same people cruise RCI, NCL, Carnival, Princess, etc. I've never noticed much difference on any line, however itinerary and time of year can impact the passenger mix more than any other factor.

Just because they call it a sale, it doesn't mean it is one. People see the word "SALE" and they assume it's a real sale.

Just what I was trying to say. Publish a high price, then offer xx% off in a big "sale".