Ordering Multiple Plates in Dining Room

boltnut55

I've cruised almost 10 times (I know that's nothing) and have always ordered multiple dishes in the dining room. 90% of the time, it's multiple appetizers, including soup/salad and possibly dessert, like a sweet item and a fruit platter. Once in a while, I may order two entrees, and two of us will share the extra entrée. I don't think I've ever ordered 2 of the same thing other than on lobster night. Unless something was bad (mushy pasta comes to mind), we are part of the clean plate society - nothing wasted except garnish.

Last year, we went during lunch, which is slightly different that dinner service (not our regular servers and not assigned time), and we did the same thing. The rushed server commented about how we were ordering multiple plates and going to make him late in cleaning up later. We ignored him, and I think he eventually "became normal."

About two weeks ago, my niece and her extended family went to a Caribbean cruise. First night at dinner, they ordered multiple dishes and their server said something about how the buffet is upstairs. He also spilled water on one of them and didn't apologize, but in general was not good. My niece complained to the maître-D and next meal, they got a new server.

Is this a trend? Are these anomalies? Have you run into this as well? We just booked our next cruise for this September. I'm more curious than anything else. Thanks.

I have had just the opposite experience. The servers take multiples in stride and sometimes even suggest ordering two when you can't decide.

Did these examples happen on the same cruise line?

Edited by Scrapnana

I have had just the opposite experience. The servers take multiples in stride and sometimes even suggest ordering two when you can't decide.

Did these examples happen on the same cruise line?

Other than these 2 times, I've had great experiences. Mine last year was on Celebrity, and my niece said she was on Royal Caribbean. I'll be going on Carnival Inspiration coming up.

We have never had a problem. My wife never orders additional items, but I've ordered extra entrees. We have always had very good service on each cruise. However, if I ever encounter such rudeness I will report it without hesitation.

We've never had a major problem other than a bad waiter on one Royal Caribbean cruise. One of our tablemates spoke to the maitre d' after our first night's meal. We had a new wait team the rest of the cruise.

e

I've cruised almost 10 times (I know that's nothing) and have always ordered multiple dishes in the dining room. 90% of the time, it's multiple appetizers, including soup/salad and possibly dessert, like a sweet item and a fruit platter. Once in a while, I may order two entrees, and two of us will share the extra entrée. I don't think I've ever ordered 2 of the same thing other than on lobster night. Unless something was bad (mushy pasta comes to mind), we are part of the clean plate society - nothing wasted except garnish.

Last year, we went during lunch, which is slightly different that dinner service (not our regular servers and not assigned time), and we did the same thing. The rushed server commented about how we were ordering multiple plates and going to make him late in cleaning up later. We ignored him, and I think he eventually "became normal."

Was this on your P rinsendam crruise?

About two weeks ago, my niece and her extended family went to a Caribbean cruise. First night at dinner, they ordered multiple dishes and their server said something about how the buffet is upstairs. He also spilled water on one of them and didn't apologize, but in general was not good. My niece complained to the maître-D and next meal, they got a new server.

Is this a trend? Are these anomalies? Have you run into this as well? We just booked our next cruise for this September. I'm more curious than anything else. Thanks.

Which ships are you writing about?Order whatever you want.

Edited by sail7seas

Allow me to play devil's advocate here:

If you have first seating dinner, there is a time limit. If you order more than can be served and consumed in roughly 90 minutes or so you are creating an issue for the later occupants of your table.

And at open seating lunch, if you walk in very close to closing time and order a bacchanalian feast I wouldn't blame them one bit for suggesting you hit the buffet. And yes you will likely be making your servers late for their next assignment be it afternoon tea service or just a backroom detail.

But that said I too would like to know which ships the OP is reporting about. My guess is Royal Caribbean as well: on Vision of the Seas a few years ago, at late sitting dinner as soon as the waiter was finished distributing the first course to the ten persons at the table, the next course would be out. And so on. One of my tablemates gave the head waiter a total hiding; we didn't get new servers but the pace did become more reasonable (which in reality meant the next course sat at room temperature at the waiter station).

Other than these 2 times, I've had great experiences. Mine last year was on Celebrity, and my niece said she was on Royal Caribbean. I'll be going on Carnival Inspiration coming up.

The Inspiration is the ship that several waiters give us extras, even if we didn't order it. We've sailed her many times and many of the crew have done multiple contracts on the ships out of Long Beach. Some crew we've known for over 10 years.

Last cruise on the Carnival Miracle I'd order one non-Vegetarian Indian entree. They always brought out two from the kitchen. Totally embarrassing as one order is served on two plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On our recent cruise the wife in one couple ordered multiple entrees in addition to one or two appetizers and a dessert. Except for dessert, none of the dishes were finished, always sent back half-eaten.

We liked being at the same table with the same people before meeting that woman :o

Allow me to play devil's advocate here:

If you have first seating dinner, there is a time limit. If you order more than can be served and consumed in roughly 90 minutes or so you are creating an issue for the later occupants of your table.

And at open seating lunch, if you walk in very close to closing time and order a bacchanalian feast I wouldn't blame them one bit for suggesting you hit the buffet. And yes you will likely be making your servers late for their next assignment be it afternoon tea service or just a backroom detail.

But that said I too would like to know which ships the OP is reporting about. My guess is Royal Caribbean as well

While I normally choose late dining, I'm not sure what my niece's family did, but we love food, so my impression is that they would have arrived at opening just as we would have for open seating lunch :) As also a provider of customer service though, I really try not to let my customer know the problems they cause me because, well, I don't feel like they should care, so while the server may be muttering under his breath about "oh no, this will make me rush to clean up after these hungry people," one should not say it out loud. Instead of complaining, I think what we actually did was to say we'd hurry up and eat - I mean, that's our usual accommodating selves.

Mine was Celebrity, and my niece's ship was Royal Caribbean.

Last cruise our waiter told the men they might want to ask for a second app as the main dish was on the small side.

Tbh sometimes the app is the best course.

Have never had this issue and we order multiples to share family style as well; tell them to just bring multiple apps at the same time, or multiple mains, no need to stagger. Has always worked out well. Most of the time the wait staff encourages it.

I wouldn't take a flippant comment from wait staff in stride; the food and bev manager would hear all about it and if they can't be found the HD would.

We have never had problems ordering multiple items. Sometimes two, a soup and salad, sometimes many like on lobster and escargot night our waiter will tell us to get what we want early so they don't run out. We had a table of four who ordered, 13 escargot, and 12 lobsters. Never any problems. There must have been an upset waiter, and if he had poured water on me I would have been very upset too.

Tbh sometimes the app is the best course.

I agree! I'm on a diet, so I'm trying to lose as much as I can between now and then, but I will also be making different choices (I'm not necessarily saying "better" though). The other day I declared to the family that I'm not going to order an obligatory entrée and then eat it just because it's the next course. I'm just going to order more of the earlier courses because I like them more anyway, and they can bring them out as they please.

We've ordered multiple appetizers or desserts to share, but never multiple entrees.

One time, however, our waiter could see that my husband was torn between two choices for entree. He finally settled on one, and ordered it.

To our surprise, the waiter brought the ordered item....and the other item as well. He said, "I know you really wanted to try this, so here's your chance. Enjoy!"

My husband was very pleased....and he did enjoy both entrees!

Well that added absolutely nothing of value to the discussion. If you don't want to discuss, move along. Some of us like the ability to share and try new things on a cruise. The only thing gross was the waiters conduct; grossly out of line that is. Starting an insult with "Sorry" doesn't make it okay...

Edited by LMaxwell

Well that added absolutely nothing of value to the discussion. If you don't want to discuss, move along. Some of us like the ability to share and try new things on a cruise. The only thing gross was the waiters conduct; grossly out of line that is. Starting an insult with "Sorry" doesn't make it okay...

Interesting comment in light of your inquiries about premium/luxury lines in a different thread. On most premium/luxury lines, you could easily ask for appetizer or bite-sized items for a taste test. No need to order multiple anythings.

Interesting comment in light of your inquiries about premium/luxury lines in a different thread. On most premium/luxury lines, you could easily ask for appetizer or bite-sized items for a taste test. No need to order multiple anythings.

Thanks for the tip