Back to HAL after a few years.....

canadarocks

Is it true that there are no more formal nights? So are "Gala" nights now formal dress optional, including the specialty restaurants?

Is the wine policy now 1 bottle per person for in room consumption? What's the corkage fee? Last time we sailed with HAL it was bring all you want onboard! :D

I know specialty restaurants have increased in price.... is there anything else that's changed in the last 4 years?

Is it true that there are no more formal nights? So are "Gala" nights now formal dress optional, including the specialty restaurants?

Is the wine policy now 1 bottle per person for in room consumption? What's the corkage fee? Last time we sailed with HAL it was bring all you want onboard! :D

I know specialty restaurants have increased in price.... is there anything else that's changed in the last 4 years?

Hey welcome back ..

Gala night replaces formal night and it is "formal optional" I guess. Men must wear a collared shirt and nice pants, but a jacket and tie are not discouraged. Of course, ladies are just dressing nicely whether it be pants and a nice top or a nice dress.

Wine is definitely one bottle per person (up to two people in a cabin I believe) and after that you can bring on wine but at a corkage fee of $18 per person.

Other changes? The Adagio is 2 not 4 now. Lido is not the "Marketplace" on most ships and they serve including the salad.

Captain's toast is gone, but there is a great Mariner's reception on most ships with comp wine, drinks, etc on embarkation day.

That's my quick recap - sure others will chime in (I hope)

Gala Nights: Since this new designation, all aboard were properly attired. I saw very little difference between "formal nights" and "gala nights". I wear my tux and I am not alone. Other gentlemen are in suits or coats/ties, but that is no different than the past.

One bottle of wine/person/stateroom is the norm. I do not have any current information about corkage fee.

Re: Specialty Restaurants, I think the quality and the service has improved since you last sailed.

That wine thing - yeah, it used to be...

If you want to bring more wine on board, you will get a sticker put on the wine and you will be charged the corkage fee (which isn't really corkage, since you are supposed to consume in your cabin). However, if you are a regular in any of the bar areas, particularly on a longer cruise, you might be able to bring your private bottle to that bar area and be able to consume there. It all depends on the bar staff and whether they really like you.

When in a port and you want to bring wine back, the same thing applies with the 'corkage fee'. Or, you can leave it a security and it will be delivered to your cabin last night. If you think that you might be buying some wine during the cruise, be sure to bring your own totes from home.

For 'gala' evenings, I have recently seen male passengers being allowed into the dining room with no jacket. A tie is preferred, but not mandatory if you are wearing a jacket. I still wear my tux, because I can still fit into it and I want to get my money's worth on the thing. Sadly, I have seen more and more folks change their clothes immediately after they eat and then go to the showroom in shorts and t-shirts. Bums!

There have been other changes I am sure, but those are some of what you asked. Others will add, I am sure.

Jim

We are coming back after several years and looking forward to our New Year's cruise this year. We sailed the Eurodam previously and I am excited to see how she has changed over the years.

Of course, since it will be New Years, I am hoping for parties all over the ship. I am already getting excited.

I don't find the Lido Marketplace concept much different than before except for the lack of the made-to-order sandwich station (which may be returning because of the complaints Seattle has received about its elimination) and the crew made salad bar with the ridiculously large plastic salad bowls. Talk about waste!

I do think the New York Deli Pizza concept that is being incorporated on the ships provides for a better pizza. But, one needs to order a whole small pizza. (IMO, that is not a great idea. Again, IMO, if one wants only a slice or two, etc., the rest goes to waste.)

Edited by rkacruiser

"It's good to be on a well run ship" is a very old advertising slogan of Holland America Line. It is as true today as it was in the '60's, '70's, etc.

And, the crew! Their service. attitude, friendliness, and helpness have not changed since you last cruises HAL.

Wine is definitely one bottle per person (up to two people in a cabin I believe) ....

Not quite. It's one 750 ml bottle per adult with no corkage fee. That bottle is to be consumed in your cabin. The number of adults in the cabin does not come into it at all; if there are four adults sharing the cabin :eek:, then there can be four bottles corkage-free.

If you wish to consume the bottle in the dining room, or a public lounge, you may bring it and pay the corkage.

You may also bring aboard as many bottles of wine as you can carry, both at initial embarkation and every port, and pay the corkage fee. Those bottles can be brought to the public areas without additional charge.

Not quite. It's one 750 ml bottle per adult with no corkage fee. That bottle is to be consumed in your cabin. The number of adults in the cabin does not come into it at all; if there are four adults sharing the cabin :eek:, then there can be four bottles corkage-free.

Yep. Four adults in the cabin probably NECESSITATES 4 bottles for the cabin.;):D

Poolside Grill is now the Dive-In with some really terrific choices and great fries - and pagers so you can enjoy the Lido outdoors instead of standing in line.

We liked the large new Lido salad bowl servings and they seemed very popular on our last cruise. Fresher, more international choices at the new Lido "Marketplace".

And pre-made "small plates" at the Lido lunch - fruit, cheese, grain salads, etc - small bites, nice variety.

Wish they would add some Fabulous 400 items for dinner in the MDR - 400 calories total for 2-3 course package, not spa or "sugar free" items. But genuine tasty small portion real meal courses.

There will be changes, many are good. Some are just missing now. But overall, HAL keeps doing it right for the price and itinerary choices.

Edited by OlsSalt

As you are sailing over New Year's -- there will be a couple of more parties -- everything depends on the captain.

On our last couple of cruises there was no more VIP parties.

This past spring we were on a 21 day cruise and very few men dressed up.

The dining room was rarely open for lunch.

The Tamarind is no longer open for lunch.

We didn't get an invitation for the Mariner's cocktail party on Embarkation day.

Are you saying there's no deli station any longer? I'm not one who typically eats from "regular" buffets and almost always have a deli sandwich for lunch (on Carnival). I even prefer them to the raved-about Guys Burgers.

In fact, I've whined for years that Carnival's deli doesn't have potato chips although you can order them through room service, but HAL's deli (on my one HAL sailing nearly 6 years ago) had them available to eat with your deli sandwich.

I'll be sad if there's no deli. :(

But I'm sure I won't go hungry! ;)

Regardless of the changes made to the Lido, etc. I'm sure we will enjoy cruising with HAL again. Their ships are so beautiful and traditional and they speak volumes of elegance. It will be nice to cruise on this type of ship without all the glitz, bright lights, etc.

Since this will be New Years, does everyone dress up as if it were a Gala evening?:)

"It's good to be on a well run ship" is a very old advertising slogan of Holland America Line. It is as true today as it was in the '60's, '70's, etc.

And, the crew! Their service. attitude, friendliness, and helpness have not changed since you last cruises HAL.

Precisely! HAL service remains best among main stream lines, as does stateroom comfort and service; while MDR food quality and choices have faded somewhat, they still beat the competition.

It is unfortunate that dress codes have been essentially abandoned - yes, I know that what people at the next table wear has no impact upon the flavor of my food, the fact remains that attractive surroundings -- including the clothes people wear - contribute to the overall experience. Collarless shirts and shorts are fine at fast food places -- but sloppy dress is not really compatible with linen tablecloths and napkins, attractive place settings and china, and gracious service. Sadly, the schlubs of the world have spoken and HAL has listened.

Trend has been less formal all around the cruise industry (except high end all-inclusive lines maybe - I'll never know :rolleyes: ). I think part of it is fallout from the airlines charging for luggage. Without formal wear (and all that goes with it) two people can pack into one large suitcase and a couple carry-ons and save $50 or more (r/t) on an extra suitcase. Looking forward to not having that issue next year from Seattle so we will definitely pack the formal stuff. :D

Also looking forward to comparing HAL to what it was last time and also with RCCL.

Precisely! HAL service remains best among main stream lines, as does stateroom comfort and service; while MDR food quality and choices have faded somewhat, they still beat the competition.

It is unfortunate that dress codes have been essentially abandoned - yes, I know that what people at the next table wear has no impact upon the flavor of my food, the fact remains that attractive surroundings -- including the clothes people wear - contribute to the overall experience. Collarless shirts and shorts are fine at fast food places -- but sloppy dress is not really compatible with linen tablecloths and napkins, attractive place settings and china, and gracious service. Sadly, the schlubs of the world have spoken and HAL has listened.

It's a good thing that this isn't allowed on HAL ships.

Edited by OVgirl

We are returning to HAL after 6 long years. So excited to step aboard the Amsterdam on Friday for a blissful 48 days. All lines have had cutbacks and changes but we still enjoy every cruise.

Cheers, Denise

My mouth dropped when I read 48 days! I can't even begin to imagine......

Anyway, I was going to post how excited I am to be taking my first HAL cruise! We were looking for different ports and found one that fits the bill. Eurodam here we come (3/17). We picked a guarantor balcony and can't wait to see where we end up. Not really concerned since it will be a balcony.

It might be the exception but certainly not the usual. I thought it was still a no no.

On my recent med cruise, people entering with shorts were asked to leave and come back with long pants. I don't think I saw anyone with caps on while eating. I may have worn a t-shirt right back from shore excursion one night (absent-mindedly). I didn't get called out for this, however.

To not derail this thread into another dining-room clothing one, here are some other few things that have changed in the past 4-6 years:

- No more late night dessert extravaganza but more aft poolside BBQs

- More bars, no more single-use disco on the refurbished ships

- Also, the refurbished ships are starting to re-introduce 4-string quartets with Piano (Lincoln Center Stage)

- Lido now has free apple, lemonade, and one other fruit juice dispensers (none freshly made, though)

- Dive-in grill with the best french fries on a ship

- BB King band (at least on the Vista and newer class ships)

- No more silly waiter towel-waving parade and dancing. (Though last cruise, they just had a small parade to recognize the crew)

On my recent med cruise, people entering with shorts were asked to leave and come back with long pants. I don't think I saw anyone with caps on while eating. I may have worn a t-shirt right back from shore excursion one night (absent-mindedly). I didn't get called out for this, however.

To not derail this thread into another dining-room clothing one, here are some other few things that have changed in the past 4-6 years:

- No more late night dessert extravaganza but more aft poolside BBQs

- More bars, no more single-use disco on the refurbished ships

- Also, the refurbished ships are starting to re-introduce 4-string quartets with Piano (Lincoln Center Stage)

- Lido now has free apple, lemonade, and one other fruit juice dispensers (none freshly made, though)

- Dive-in grill with the best french fries on a ship

- BB King band (at least on the Vista and newer class ships)

- No more silly waiter towel-waving parade and dancing. (Though last cruise, they just had a small parade to recognize the crew)

When did you last cruise? On our March cruise and all prior, they had glasses of 8-10 varieties of juice in the area where desserts are during the day in the Lido.

I love the different choices and will be disappointed if they are gone.

We are returning to HAL after 6 long years. So excited to step aboard the Amsterdam on Friday for a blissful 48 days. All lines have had cutbacks and changes but we still enjoy every cruise.

Cheers, Denise

Congratulations on your 50th and enjoy your dream cruise. I have never sailed with you but am excited for you:).