Carry on luggage vs checking in

lanai14

I organized a rather large group of family and friends to join the western caribbean 7 day out of Galveston. I need good blogs or comments here to justify why everyone going with me should bring a carry on and not check in luggage. Especially since everyone else missed out on the FTTF. Thanks!

like Keith said, you Need to have all valuable etc in your carry on luggage. If something gets brocken or missing you will not get reimbursed.

Also, medication should always be in the carry on luggage.

I usually have a small trolly as carry on. With that I don't have to carry it the whole time till the cabin is ready to drop everything

Word of advice sailing with large groups... Don't Herd Cats. Let everyone do their own thing.

That being said, things you cannot live without, expensive to replace, documents and at least one change of clothes should be in carryon. Everything else can be checked through.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Do you mean carry-on only? Only one little bag per person for a week!? :eek: I know some people can do that, but I just can't, and normally I don't see the point of trying either. I'd be a hard sell if i was in your group.

Word of advice sailing with large groups... Don't Herd Cats. Let everyone do their own thing.

That being said, things you cannot live without, expensive to replace, documents and at least one change of clothes should be in carryon. Everything else can be checked through.

I agree 100%.

Just make sure they all know to put valuables and medications in their carry on bag and let them bring a larger bag if they want to. You'll only cause resentment if you try to control too much.

Why would you want to require everyone to carry on their luggage? It would limit them to what will fit into a scanner like those used at the airports. Some may have problems lugging all of theirs. I assume since you reference FTTF, you will be on Carnival. They do NOT have the cabins ready when you board if you are not on FTTF. People will have to drag their luggage around until the cabins are open

I organized a rather large group of family and friends to join the western caribbean 7 day out of Galveston. I need good blogs or comments here to justify why everyone going with me should bring a carry on and not check in luggage. Especially since everyone else missed out on the FTTF. Thanks!

If you are going to try to manage this group to this level of detail, you will not likely have many friends when you return home.

Your question seems to say that you want everything carried on by all of your friends. Wish I could help, but there is absolutely no reason in the world that people should carry on all of their luggage. You are not on a plane, and worried about making connections, you are boarding a ship. Simply foolish to try to force people to carry on if they don't want to bother with luggage. As others have mentioned common sense says that you always carry a bag on with you with medicines, cameras, electronics, jewelry and other valuables.

Edited by zqvol

It sounds like this is the first cruise for all or most. Most first timers have an exaggerated idea of how many times a day they will need to change clothes. You need to have that discussion with them. Also remind them that if they are flying, they will be paying for those bags. It really can be done with an airline sized carryon and a backpack. We have learned after years of travel, aided by a 33 day land trip with just a carryon. But we did a lot of laundry. But, convince a few, and let the others learn by experience, and be envious. EM

...to justify why everyone going with me should bring a carry on and not check in luggage...

:eek:

Do you mean carry-on only? Only one little bag per person for a week!? :eek: I know some people can do that, but I just can't, and normally I don't see the point of trying either. I'd be a hard sell if i was in your group.

Yikes, agree with you lisiamc. For a 7 nighter, no way could I do a carry-on only. I hope OP will realize this and change his/her mind.

:eek:

Yikes, agree with you lisiamc. For a 7 nighter, no way could I do a carry-on only. I hope OP will realize this and change his/her mind.

We do carry on for cruises when we don't take snorkel gear. We travel relatively light, mix and match, do laundry.

We've traveled with the same group for 10 years. We meet at dinner and would like everyone to be in the group picture taken before the formal night dinner.

During the day we all do our own thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would hate to be the person behind the large group new to cruising trying to board and carrying on their own luggage. Embarkation can be hectic enough without trying to manage everything yourself.

Do you mean actual large suitcases? They have to go to the porters because they can't fit through the x-ray scanners. I think OP is trying to get the group to go with just carry-ons, which would be more manageable, but for me, would not be suitable. :)

there is not a reason to justify it.

those that want to carry on only can do so and those that want to check theirs should be able to do so if they prefer. there is no reason whatsoever to make everyone do what you want to do

I would say that it is none of your business whether they do carry on or check in. How is their choice of how their luggage is handled going to impact your cruise experience.

Re the idea that each member of the group carry off their own luggage - I never have done this and never will. Much easier to let the ship handle it and pick it up at the pier.

I sure hope that you are not trying to micro manage all the cruise details of the rest of the group. Based on this post, I would not want to travel in any group managed by you.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I've known people whose checked luggage was lost or put on the wrong ship. All they received was some Carnival t-shirts. There are laundry facilities that can cut down on the number of clothes. I understand that you want the group to be Mobil and to cut down on idle time waiting for luggage . With a large group that will be a challenge

I would say that it is none of your business whether they do carry on or check in. How is their choice of how their luggage is handled going to impact your cruise experience.

Re the idea that each member of the group carry off their own luggage - I never have done this and never will. Much easier to let the ship handle it and pick it up at the pier.

I sure hope that you are not trying to micro manage all the cruise details of the rest of the group. Based on this post, I would not want to travel in any group managed by you.

DON

Your last sentence says it all, this person reminds me of my mother in law with a group of 10, she made the whole trip miserable for everyone. That was 10 years ago and I have not traveled with her since..

OP, they are family and friends now, but as others have suggested, they are unlikely to be feeling very friendly if you try to manage every aspect of this trip. Telling people they cant or shouldn't bring a checked bag for a 7 day cruise is not only impractical for many, it is also needlessly intrusive. While I completely agree that a small carry on bag is essential for for documents, valuables, meds, etc., many experienced cruisers still find a single checked bag necessary for their particular needs. You need to ease up.

Edited by mom says

Not trying to change the subject of one carry-on bag but in the same light, in a large group many will want to do different excursions, eat in different restaurants at different times. Some might want to play bingo, some trivia. Much easier to let everyone do their own thing and just get together when it’s convenient. You’ll have plenty of time together.