Just off Noordam, now she is in dry dock

GRACECRUISE

Just returned home from the Noordam. Mom and I took an 11 day Caribbean cruise. We drove down and used Park N Fly. They dropped us at ship about 10:30. Check in was a breeze. Went straight through 4 star line. No pictures taken for key card as they used one on file. After a short wait we were on the ship by 11:20. Our original Captain had a family emergency so we had Captain Albert for a few days and then Captain Bowlin ( from the Eurodam, looks like Jay Leno)

Went to room and dropped off carry ons. Next to Library to check out some books. The ship was beautiful. I was surprised that in all of our HAL cruises, this was the first time on the Noordam. We looked around a bit and then headed to the dining room for the welcome back lunch. Funny thing there the dining steward misunderstood my mom and she got two entrees. Being polite, she ate off of both them.

We had an outside obstructed view cabin. Normally we are inside cabin dwellers. The cabin had lots of room. Our cabin steward was great of course. One day he very apologetically told me laundry could not get a stain out of my sleep T shirt. He felt so bad and did not know what to do. I told him it was fine, it was paint and had been on there for a long time. I loved the shirt so it became a sleep shirt. But bless his heart for trying,

The food was very good. They had some of my favorites shrimp and grits, crab cakes and grits, and pork bucco. It appears that they had some new desserts at dinner. The Honey tart, Snickers cake and Chocolate Decadence Cake were some of our favorites. I liked the Snickers Cake so much I got the recipe for that one.

Some of our highlights were the cupcake tea. The cupcakes and scones were fantastic but the topper was they served milkshakes at the end. That was a first for us. The Pinnacle was wonderful. Our amuse bouche was a Creamy Soup with escargot. Neither mom nor I had tried escargot before. The soup was wonderful. (Surprised me that my mom would even try it but she loved it). My favorite dessert in the Pinnacle is the souffle. It has changed. OH my goodness. They added a few berries in the bottom before baking the vanilla souffle. When it comes out of the oven they place a chocolate ball filled with Drambouie on top. You push it down in the hot souffle and it bursts open. Such goodness.

We had 8 ports in 11 days. It was a busy time. We did not do any shore excursions. We spent our time wandering around the ports, shopping and people watching. When we were not in the culinary center watching demos we were out on the Promenade Deck reading and napping. It was not difficult getting a lounger.

Evening entertainment was good. The cast did 3 shows. Costumes, sets and cast were wonderful. Lee Bayliss was the comic. We had the BB King Blues club on board. First time we saw them. WOW. They were always packed. They did have 1 show in the Vista theater and it was packed. They were fantastic. The last night before the DWTS finale they dimmed the lights and started playing Leaving on a Jet plane. Everyone sang along. The Cruise Director come out and talked about the crew. They opened the curtain and it was filled with crew members and they started playing We Are the Champions. Goose bumps all over and a few emotional tears.

Ship headed to dry dock for 10 days once we got off. They told us of some of the things they were doing. Lots of carpet changes, Lido changes, AC blowout and filter changes, azipod work, lots of engine and smokestack stuff, etc. They had 800 contractors coming on. They would have no AC for 8 days, no water for 1 and no hot water for 7. It would kind of like camping, on officer said.

Our experience was wonderful. Really, no negatives for us. We are pretty easy going when it comes to cruising. Put me on a HAL ship and I am happy. A cruise is what you make of it and we had a great time. The ship and the crew were as good as ever.

Thank you for the review-appreciate you taking the time. Happy to hear you and your mom enjoyed yourselves. My husband and I will board the Noordam next Monday after her dry dock for the Panama Canal cruise. We've never been on this ship and looking forward to it.

........my thanks for your review!!

I also am looking forward to being on board the Noordam and appreciate the listing of some of the things being replaced, fixed, etc.. (Not that she needed them at least in my eyes)

I am so looking forward to being on her in just a few more days and enjoying her ambiance:)

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

I was on this cruise as well. The food was very good. I think my favorite dish on the entire cruise was the shrimp and grits. I hope to see it again. That snickers cake was SO good. I think it helped that this cruise was not full. The service in the MDR was really good except for one night which is unusual in my experience. No lines in the open dining. Seemed that people liked to eat later on that cruise. Worked for me.

I was on this cruise as well. The food was very good. I think my favorite dish on the entire cruise was the shrimp and grits. I hope to see it again. That snickers cake was SO good. .

DW will be delighted if they have shrimp and grits next time we sail. Done right, they're delicious. And if the Snickers cake is anything like the Snickers pie HAL had a decade ago, I'm sure it's a winner.

I did not use the ship internet. I glanced at the plans and do not think they had unlimited. The shrimp and grits were spicy with the andouille sausage. The Snickers cake is 3 layers of chocolate cake with a peanut butter nougat in between that is light and fully. It had some salted caramel and a chocolate ganache. I hope to try the recipe next week.

DW will be delighted if they have shrimp and grits next time we sail. Done right, they're delicious. And if the Snickers cake is anything like the Snickers pie HAL had a decade ago, I'm sure it's a winner.

I'm not sure if the grits were done right as I think it's the first time I tried them. It's not common in these parts:D.

The cake was not as good as that pie was but very tasty just the same.

We are boarding the Noordam next Monday for the Panama Canal repositioning cruise. Is the internet speed good and did they offer an unlimited plan?

I found the speed to be decent for the most part. It's always a good plan to use it early or late in the day. It was the usual price. Sadly no unlimited.

Thank you for the review-appreciate you taking the time. Happy to hear you and your mom enjoyed yourselves. My husband and I will board the Noordam next Monday after her dry dock for the Panama Canal cruise. We've never been on this ship and looking forward to it.

And you're coming to pick me up in San Diego! ;):D

OP, thanks for the review. Glad you and your mom enjoyed the cruise.

Just returned home from the Noordam. Mom and I took an 11 day Caribbean cruise. We drove down and used Park N Fly. They dropped us at ship about 10:30. Check in was a breeze. Went straight through 4 star line. No pictures taken for key card as they used one on file. After a short wait we were on the ship by 11:20. Our original Captain had a family emergency so we had Captain Albert for a few days and then Captain Bowlin ( from the Eurodam, looks like Jay Leno)

Went to room and dropped off carry ons. Next to Library to check out some books. The ship was beautiful. I was surprised that in all of our HAL cruises, this was the first time on the Noordam. We looked around a bit and then headed to the dining room for the welcome back lunch. Funny thing there the dining steward misunderstood my mom and she got two entrees. Being polite, she ate off of both them.

We had an outside obstructed view cabin. Normally we are inside cabin dwellers. The cabin had lots of room. Our cabin steward was great of course. One day he very apologetically told me laundry could not get a stain out of my sleep T shirt. He felt so bad and did not know what to do. I told him it was fine, it was paint and had been on there for a long time. I loved the shirt so it became a sleep shirt. But bless his heart for trying,

The food was very good. They had some of my favorites shrimp and grits, crab cakes and grits, and pork bucco. It appears that they had some new desserts at dinner. The Honey tart, Snickers cake and Chocolate Decadence Cake were some of our favorites. I liked the Snickers Cake so much I got the recipe for that one.

Some of our highlights were the cupcake tea. The cupcakes and scones were fantastic but the topper was they served milkshakes at the end. That was a first for us. The Pinnacle was wonderful. Our amuse bouche was a Creamy Soup with escargot. Neither mom nor I had tried escargot before. The soup was wonderful. (Surprised me that my mom would even try it but she loved it). My favorite dessert in the Pinnacle is the souffle. It has changed. OH my goodness. They added a few berries in the bottom before baking the vanilla souffle. When it comes out of the oven they place a chocolate ball filled with Drambouie on top. You push it down in the hot souffle and it bursts open. Such goodness.

We had 8 ports in 11 days. It was a busy time. We did not do any shore excursions. We spent our time wandering around the ports, shopping and people watching. When we were not in the culinary center watching demos we were out on the Promenade Deck reading and napping. It was not difficult getting a lounger.

Evening entertainment was good. The cast did 3 shows. Costumes, sets and cast were wonderful. Lee Bayliss was the comic. We had the BB King Blues club on board. First time we saw them. WOW. They were always packed. They did have 1 show in the Vista theater and it was packed. They were fantastic. The last night before the DWTS finale they dimmed the lights and started playing Leaving on a Jet plane. Everyone sang along. The Cruise Director come out and talked about the crew. They opened the curtain and it was filled with crew members and they started playing We Are the Champions. Goose bumps all over and a few emotional tears.

Ship headed to dry dock for 10 days once we got off. They told us of some of the things they were doing. Lots of carpet changes, Lido changes, AC blowout and filter changes, azipod work, lots of engine and smokestack stuff, etc. They had 800 contractors coming on. They would have no AC for 8 days, no water for 1 and no hot water for 7. It would kind of like camping, on officer said.

Our experience was wonderful. Really, no negatives for us. We are pretty easy going when it comes to cruising. Put me on a HAL ship and I am happy. A cruise is what you make of it and we had a great time. The ship and the crew were as good as ever.

Wonderful review! Many thanks for taking the time!

You wouldn't be of on the VOV again this year would you? One of the best ever day-by day reviews I've read!

Glad to hear they are going to be working on the AC. We were on the Noordam in November and our room rarely got below 78 degrees. We complained many times and were told it was as good as they could get it. We will be back on her in June and looking forward to seeing the upgrades/changes.

• 11 months later...

...............desserts at dinner. The Honey tart, Snickers cake and Chocolate Decadence Cake were some of our favorites. I liked the Snickers Cake so much I got the recipe for that one.

Just had the Snickers Cake on the Oosterdam and would love to have that recipe. Would you post it please?

Many thanks!

just a question about the Nordam drydock.....will it include changing out furniture and linens/spreads/drapery or is it just mechanical and carpet related things. Just wondering since I thought someone said it had been several years since last drydock. thanks

just a question about the Nordam drydock.....will it include changing out furniture and linens/spreads/drapery or is it just mechanical and carpet related things. Just wondering since I thought someone said it had been several years since last drydock. thanks

This thread is from 2015.