Room Service Fee & Yes the Mobility challenge individuals have to pay the fee!

I believe if you fold your napkin in a triangle with the point to the edge of the table they (royal WJ staff) will leave your plate alone. Ask when you see a head watier supervisor but that was what I was told on EOS last summer.
Nope they removed everything on the table as recently as an hour ago, trying that tactic! I was going to speak to the manager and see, but I am not to sure he understands English all that well, and I had better things to do like getting a frozen drink!

Just to keep the peanut gallery updated! The room service fee is now $9:38 which it was removed from my account! I have since had a lovely dinner and breakfast conversations with 2 couples! In fact I offered a couple to join me for breakfast this am, because there were not empty tables & we had a lovely breakfast & conversation! I saw them in passing later & maybe I"ll see them at I fly, peanut gallery your comments are not warranted or founded, so maybe you should be a little less quick to judge!! This hide behind the keyboard crap needs to stop!

Have a great time cruising!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Forums mobile app

OP, sorry for the problems that you are experiencing.

Three years ago, while cruising solo, I needed the use of a cane. I had on previous cruises, while travelling solo, on a few occasions had my full plate of untouched food removed while I went to get a beverage (at a nearby station), but the ninjas had swooped in and took it all while I was briefly not watching.

So on that cruise three years ago, I decided to just get my food. I was able to do this with cane and plate on the other hand, but I do understand that not all people using canes can safely do this. I did, and I chose just to eat first and get my drink later. Not every time, but often, a roaming staff in the buffet noticed that I did not have a drink, and offered to get me one. Or an employee came around with a trolley of various drinks. It was on a different cruise line though.

I am currently looking at Royal as a possibility for my next cruise, and am reading lots of good things. I am very fortunate now that I have recovered enough not to need my cane anymore.

I am not sure if you are open to other cruise lines or not, but in my research to branch out to other lines, I see that Norwegian does have dining rooms with open seating, for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and you can choose to dine alone if you wish. You will get a menu and be served all courses with a beverage. Just a suggestion, but there is always something out there that might better suit.

Hope you enjoyed the rest of your cruise besides the buffet and room service issues.

Nope they removed everything on the table as recently as an hour ago, trying that tactic! I was going to speak to the manager and see, but I am not to sure he understands English all that well, and I had better things to do like getting a frozen drink!

Just to keep the peanut gallery updated! The room service fee is now $9:38 which it was removed from my account! I have since had a lovely dinner and breakfast conversations with 2 couples! In fact I offered a couple to join me for breakfast this am, because there were not empty tables & we had a lovely breakfast & conversation! I saw them in passing later & maybe I"ll see them at I fly, peanut gallery your comments are not warranted or founded, so maybe you should be a little less quick to judge!! This hide behind the keyboard crap needs to stop!

Have a great time cruising!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Forums mobile app

Glad to see you have taken up some of the suggestions here and opened yourself to interaction with other people. She how much more pleasant that is!?!

I have a mobility issue and even traveling with my spouse strangers offer to help me so maybe it's a vibe you are giving off not realizing it? Anyway if you are cruising solo and choose room service, I don't think it should be free but it should be good.

I do sympathise with OP to this degree, I spend a lot of time in a wheelchair and it is difficult to juggle your food and drive the chair I was amazed last year on Celebrity when each time I went to the buffet (it was full service as there had been a nitro outbreak the cruise before) a young lady crew member carried it for me. I had never experienced that any other time.

I'd say your attitude is bad because of comments like these: When you are living with mobility challenges you'll understand! … Try it sometime and maybe you'll will be a little more helpful … No wonder why I can't stand people! … I expect no less then the snarkiness of the people from this board!

I agree that the food you've pictured is lackluster, and I agree that you have every right to (politely) complain ... but these nasty comments to online posters do nothing towards finding the path to resolving the problem.

I understand your problems. While I am able-bodied, I was a primary caretaker for my grandmother, who lived a century. I'm well aware of the small details that gave her trouble /the small things that made her life easier.

Given that you've had problems with tables and trays, here are my best suggestions:

- Skip the problematic buffet and stick to the MDR (or other venues that offer wait staff). That will remove the problem of finding a table, juggling a food tray and a cane, and refilling your tea. In the MDR you'll be seated with other cruisers, which will also make your meal a more social event (which you seem to want ... and not want).

- Contact RC's special needs department before you cruise, and let them know that you need a table kind of "out in the open" /easy to reach -- not a table in the corner or a table that requires walking through a maze of other tables/chairs. When you board, go to the dining room right away and talk to the Head Waiter -- he will be available during boarding to help with problems. Check out your table, and -- if it's not easy to reach -- request a change with him. If you do this right away (not while he's seating people for dinner), he will probably be able to help you.

- You say you were cruising alone. Perhaps next time invite a friend -- sounds like another set of hands could've been helpful.

- Canes are trouble -- you have to hold onto them. I've seen two types that might be easier for you: I've seen models that have a "wrist strap", which would allow you let go of the cane for a moment ... without losing it. I've also seen models with a three-pronged base, which allows you to let go of them for a moment without the can falling over.

I certainly agree with this comment. If the food tasted like it looks, it's sub-par ... but the reasoning makes no sense: No one should be served poor quality food. Disability has nothing to do with it.

You know, when someone dislikes a couple things, I tend to listen and sympathize ... when someone finds a negative to essentially every meal or every dish, I start to think that person's hobby is searching for problems.

Nice idea! Expanding upon it:

- Once you've booked a cruise, search out (or start) a thread to get to know people.

- Maybe consider signing up for a suite so you'll have access to the lounge. That'd give you another social venue ... with the same people every evening, so you'd get to know them.

Great post/suggestions. I hope the OP takes it to heart, I sense frustration and sadness that a new attitude towards life may help.

To the OP.. I pray your cruise brings you JOY! :halo:

All RC staff have to speak and understand English. What we find is sometimes the staff struggle with regional UK accents. Which is not hard as I struggle understand people from Newcastle on Tyne, with their Geordie accents, sometimes.

OP, sorry for the problems that you are experiencing.

Three years ago, while cruising solo, I needed the use of a cane. I had on previous cruises, while travelling solo, on a few occasions had my full plate of untouched food removed while I went to get a beverage (at a nearby station), but the ninjas had swooped in and took it all while I was briefly not watching.

So on that cruise three years ago, I decided to just get my food. I was able to do this with cane and plate on the other hand, but I do understand that not all people using canes can safely do this. I did, and I chose just to eat first and get my drink later. Not every time, but often, a roaming staff in the buffet noticed that I did not have a drink, and offered to get me one. Or an employee came around with a trolley of various drinks. It was on a different cruise line though.

I am currently looking at Royal as a possibility for my next cruise, and am reading lots of good things. I am very fortunate now that I have recovered enough not to need my cane anymore.

I am not sure if you are open to other cruise lines or not, but in my research to branch out to other lines, I see that Norwegian does have dining rooms with open seating, for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and you can choose to dine alone if you wish. You will get a menu and be served all courses with a beverage. Just a suggestion, but there is always something out there that might better suit.

Hope you enjoyed the rest of your cruise besides the buffet and room service issues.

Cruise almost all the time Solo. I get my drink and silverware first, get my table, then food... If have to get up I leave my hat or sweatshirt there on my chair...

Edited by ONECRUISER

I do sympathise with OP to this degree, I spend a lot of time in a wheelchair and it is difficult to juggle your food and drive the chair I was amazed last year on Celebrity when each time I went to the buffet (it was full service as there had been a nitro outbreak the cruise before) a young lady crew member carried it for me. I had never experienced that any other time.

I'd ask if help is needed. Cruise on longer cruises myself, more older people in wheelchairs or on scooters. I see Royal offer carry food all the time. Was I single Father raising 3 young kids age 2, 4, and 9 Even back in 1990's eating in Wind Jammer Royal employees would help carry my kids trays. Do miss them not having trays anymore..

All RC staff have to speak and understand English. What we find is sometimes the staff struggle with regional UK accents. Which is not hard as I struggle understand people from Newcastle on Tyne, with their Geordie accents, sometimes.
We do sometimes with people from South Shields and Newcastle and we live near Durham.

LOL - my former MIL was from Londonderry. I never understood what she was saying. Did a lot of smiling and nodding.

Back to the subject at hand, DH rarely eats breakfast so I usually find myself alone in the WJ. I always pack post-it notes so just write on one “Don’t touch, I’m not done “ and leave it at my place when I get up for a drink or a sweet roll. Works every time. If it is crowded, I might ask to join a table with extra seats but would never expect someone to invite me to join them. Heck, if I’m busy eating and carrying on a conversation, I’ll admit to being oblivious to people walking around.

I assume the connection is that room service is their preferred option for meals because of the mobility problem.

why even bother going on a cruise, if you can't venture out of your cabin so far as to get the food?

P.S. My dad went with us last year on his very first cruise ever. He was in pretty bad shape and could barely walk, but he went to the buffet and MDR nevertheless. If you go on a cruise only to spend the entire time inside your cabin due to immobility, why even bother???

why even bother going on a cruise, if you can't venture out of your cabin so far as to get the food?

P.S. My dad went with us last year on his very first cruise ever. He was in pretty bad shape and could barely walk, but he went to the buffet and MDR nevertheless. If you go on a cruise only to spend the entire time inside your cabin due to immobility, why even bother???

Even though a person is immobile, the ship moves and offers beautiful sights from ones balcony or virtual balcony.

We all cruise for our own reasons and for some, it might be the ability to relax and order room service.

We brought Pauline's mam and her wheelchair on a cruise for her 90th birthday and we got off in every port and walked every inch of the ship.

Even though a person is immobile, the ship moves and offers beautiful sights from ones balcony or virtual balcony.

We all cruise for our own reasons and for some, it might be the ability to relax and order room service.

I agree,if you pay your money you can do whatever makes you happy.

Our first Caribbean cruise from San Juan was 15 nights with 11 ports.

We got off every port but a couple we spoke to lay sunbathing every day and said they never ventured off the ship the whole cruise.

You never know what another person is dealing with, so don't judge. I run annual cruises for people who either have, or are traveling with someone with fibromyalgia. The one consistent thing about fibro is that it is inconsistent. There is no predicting how you will feel from one moment to the next. Cruisers can be fine and doing excursions one day; then struggle just to get out of bed the next. Still, my worst day on a cruise is better than most days at home. If I am in a flare, I still enjoy the sunshine and ocean from my balcony, have my choice of food brought to my room, and don't have to stress about not being able to do laundry or dishes. For me, the whole POINT of cruising is to do as much as I am physically able to do; to not allow this illness to rob me of the remaining joy I get from cruising and traveling. I may not cruise in the same way that I used to, but I DO cruise. And THAT is why I "bother."

You never know what another person is dealing with, so don't judge. I run annual cruises for people who either have, or are traveling with someone with fibromyalgia. The one consistent thing about fibro is that it is inconsistent. There is no predicting how you will feel from one moment to the next. Cruisers can be fine and doing excursions one day; then struggle just to get out of bed the next. Still, my worst day on a cruise is better than most days at home. If I am in a flare, I still enjoy the sunshine and ocean from my balcony, have my choice of food brought to my room, and don't have to stress about not being able to do laundry or dishes. For me, the whole POINT of cruising is to do as much as I am physically able to do; to not allow this illness to rob me of the remaining joy I get from cruising and traveling. I may not cruise in the same way that I used to, but I DO cruise. And THAT is why I "bother."

Well put.

Fibro is one of my minor issues.

Some days I can walk unaided other it’s two sticks, a Zimmerman frame or a wheelchair, I am so over judgemental people saying “so is the chair to get preferential treatment? Seems you can do fine without it.”

Well put.

Fibro is one of my minor issues.

Some days I can walk unaided other it’s two sticks, a Zimmerman frame or a wheelchair, I am so over judgemental people saying “so is the chair to get preferential treatment? Seems you can do fine without it.”

Agreed. It is SO difficult for people to understand how I can walk unassisted one day and need a scooter the next. I'm very self-conscious about it as I know there are those who will think I'm faking it. It's especially difficult for this group if the lines to embark or disembark are very long. People who can walk and stand for reasonable periods of time are pushed to their limits, yet they "look normal."