Very Bad HAL Maintenance.....or is it just me?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:19 AM.
Albany, NY
840 Posts
Joined May 2013
Originally posted by KroozNut
Here, here.. stick with Toyota, Nissan and Honda and you'll never go wrong!

Traded it on a new Sonata and couldn’t be happier. I looked at the 3 you mentioned and found I liked the Sonata quite a bit better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
lots 'o cruises, and hopefully many more to come

Holland America Line Mariner Society
Norwegian Cruise Line Latitudes
MSC Voyagers Club
Albany, NY
840 Posts
Joined May 2013
Originally posted by kazu
Personally, I wouldn't consider the Regent the most luxurious at all. I think Crystal beats it by far

Each to their own taste though.

You did well on O and I was happy to hear it. We had an abysmal cruise and actually considered getting off in Nassau and buying another flight -but we just had 2 days left.

the rooms are beautiful. but the service (when we were on) not so great.

We have sailed a multitude of ships and we always found ourselves returning to HAL - in particular the Prinsendam, the oldest ship in the fleet. I haven't found a cruise ship yet that offers the itineraries that it does. (And it wasn't built in the ship yard you mention - and built as a luxury line years ago)

You don't have to sail on every ship in the fleet to make the statement made that you quoted.

We sail a lot of them. We avoid some not because of age but because of itinerary.

We like different and unique and so far, we haven't found another cruise line that offers what we are doing and have done on some cruises.

So, we are sailing the oldest ship in the fleet again and, perhaps again next year after too if she is still with us (and I hope she is).

Remember as you get older, the ships are like wine and women, aging can be a good thing

Prinsendam (I believe) is a Wartsilä ship. Could be mistaken though.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

MSC Voyagers Club
2,855 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Those who make excuses for the dismal conditions described in this thread need to get out more. There are so many wonderful lines out there.
I have received nice service on every cruise line I've sailed. Frankly I cannot think of anything HAL did for me that was exemplary. Certainly nothing that I would overlook rusty water dripping in buckets in a dining facility. Certainly nothing that I would overlook shabby conditions for. Certainly nothing that I would overlook broken HVAC systems for. Etc, etc.
And this is hardly the first time similar conditions have been reported on the old HAL ships.
I've been on eight cruise lines including several mass market lines. The only one I experienced physical plant issues was Holland America, specifically the older ships.
Never ever again would I consider any of these "should be retired" ships that Holland America continues to milk.

My eyes roll every time I see a thread asking whether they should book one of these old ships. The OP always asks "is the ship really that bad" and loyalists pipe in to say everything was "great" when they sailed.

I have a good friend who is a travel agent and she told me five years ago she stopped recommending HAL because of passenger complaints about ship condition. These are not new problems.
She works for a high volume agency and attained the top commission tiers for all the mass market lines. Commissions are not a factor in her recommendations,
12,049 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
We are loyalists to a good itinerary, a good ship, and a good price. No such thing as brand loyalty to us....for any type of purchase.

We find that HAL does have first class service (other than the front desk) and friendly staff. No question about that. But, we do not really find any difference in staff friendliness, service, etc. between HAL and the others that we have cruised on. Certainly we see differences from time to time between ships. Perhaps this is due to ship morale, don't really know.

Bottom line. In our experience we do not find HAL Captains any different or better than the Captains of other cruise ships that we have been on. Not that we could ever discern a good Captain from a less one. Same with the staff-dining, cabin whatever. They all seem to work very hard, for very long hours, to make of vacation perfect-notwithstanding the cruise line. We think that the staff on most cruise lines are special-HAL does not really stand out in this regard for us. T
San Diego, CA
5,871 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Originally posted by swedish weave
If they all perform the same, the lower priced one would be my choice.
Of course, but clearly they don't perform the same.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Otherwise known as 'Don Quique'..
Centerville, Ohio, USA
8,851 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Originally posted by UPNYGuy

I think you are correct. The other Royal Viking Line ships were Wartsila built ships. And, I think, all are still in service.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
52 cruises: 31 Holland America, 4 Princess, 4 Carnival, 3 Pacific Far East Line, 2 Cunard, 2 Royal Viking Line, 1 each: Celebrity Cruises, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Sitmar, American Hawaii, Home Lines
New Brunswick
41,939 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by UPNYGuy

You are absolutely correct

Looking forward to returning to her next year

And going to a number of ports that many other ships can't. A true EE itinerary
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jacqui emailme Click here for Prinsendam Roll Call's spread sheet for May 5, 2018 - 28 day Azores and Celtic Explorer

New Cumberland,PA, USA
28,008 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by kazu
You are absolutely correct

Looking forward to returning to her next year

And going to a number of ports that many other ships can't. A true EE itinerary
The Prinsendam has long been our favorite HAL vessel, despite her age. We have spent exactly 200 days on the Prinsendam and certainly seen issues related to her age. But even at her worst, we have never seen the Prinsendam in the condition of the Rotterdam on our recent cruise. And at her worst, we still love the Prinsendam. We want to stand up on a soapbox and scream to the Seattle "suits" to never get rid of that wonderful old vessel. But we do fear that her end (at least for HAL) is approaching within the next 2 years. While on the VOV cruise we met some folks who had been on this year's World cruise. They told us that when Orlando Ashford has his Q&A, he was asked about the Prinsendam. His response did not give anyone confidence that the ship would remain in the fleet beyond 2019.

Hank
New Brunswick
41,939 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by Hlitner
The Prinsendam has long been our favorite HAL vessel, despite her age. We have spent exactly 200 days on the Prinsendam and certainly seen issues related to her age. But even at her worst, we have never seen the Prinsendam in the condition of the Rotterdam on our recent cruise. And at her worst, we still love the Prinsendam. We want to stand up on a soapbox and scream to the Seattle "suits" to never get rid of that wonderful old vessel. But we do fear that her end (at least for HAL) is approaching within the next 2 years. While on the VOV cruise we met some folks who had been on this year's World cruise. They told us that when Orlando Ashford has his Q&A, he was asked about the Prinsendam. His response did not give anyone confidence that the ship would remain in the fleet beyond 2019.

Hank
I was so sorry to hear about your Rotterdam cruise Hank.

I'm with you on the P'dam. We'll only have 100+ days on her so nothing compared to you but it's where we choose to "invest" a lot of cruise dollars

That's said to hear that Ashford doesn't "get it". But, why am I surprised with a man that takes out libraries and ravages Crow's Nests (JMO of course). If she isn't replaced, then I suspect HAl will lose a number of cruisers and they were willing to pay higher dollars to sail for this ship, it's crew and the itineraries it offers.

HAL has NO ship in the fleet that can get to some of the ports we are going to next year -nor sail down the rivers.

We'll just enjoy her while we can. .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jacqui emailme Click here for Prinsendam Roll Call's spread sheet for May 5, 2018 - 28 day Azores and Celtic Explorer

20,529 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Seems to me that those who have been directly impacted by a bad experience related to physical issues onboard a ship (lack of A/C, plumbing issues, other poor maintenance) are very concerned about encountering those problems again.

For those who've never had that experience, have a little empathy. Just because you have not been impacted does not mean that the experience was not very offputting for someone who did, and it can certainly change how you feel about an entire cruise line depending on how those problems are dealt with -- or not dealt with -- when you experience them.

I will never, EVER sail with NCL after the experience I had many years ago. Had that experience been on a HAL ship, I would likely not ever sail with HAL again either, unless I already had maybe 100 event-free days on the line to weigh against it, in which case I might sail again but with a lot of trepidation. It doesn't matter to me that the particular ship I sailed on is long gone or that NCL management may have completely changed since that time. It's the principle of the thing -- NCL treated us shoddily, and they won't ever make another buck on my vacations.

I suspect it does not matter to cruise lines that one bad experience can have an extremely negative effect on the likelihood of return bookings. I can only assume they prefer to look for "new" customers than work to retain old ones.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Wherever the wind takes me I travel as a visitor. (Horace)
Gold Coast
10,176 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by cruisemom42
Seems to me that those who have been directly impacted by a bad experience related to physical issues onboard a ship (lack of A/C, plumbing issues, other poor maintenance) are very concerned about encountering those problems again.
For those who've never had that experience, have a little empathy. Just because you have not been impacted does not mean that the experience was not very offputting for someone who did, and it can certainly change how you feel about an entire cruise line depending on how those problems are dealt with -- or not dealt with -- when you experience them.
I will never, EVER sail with NCL after the experience I had many years ago. Had that experience been on a HAL ship, I would likely not ever sail with HAL again either, unless I already had maybe 100 event-free days on the line to weigh against it, in which case I might sail again but with a lot of trepidation. It doesn't matter to me that the particular ship I sailed on is long gone or that NCL management may have completely changed since that time. It's the principle of the thing -- NCL treated us shoddily, and they won't ever make another buck on my vacations.
I suspect it does not matter to cruise lines that one bad experience can have an extremely negative effect on the likelihood of return bookings. I can only assume they prefer to look for "new" customers than work to retain old ones.
Well said! I agree with your comments.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
10,809 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Originally posted by KroozNut
Of course, but clearly they don't perform the same.
Correct!!!! But I see a lot of BMW's hooked up to tow trucks or on the freeways waiting for the tow truck.

Any brand can develop problems regardless of the cost.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rich people stay rich by living like broke people
Broke people stay broke by living like rich people

I noticed the squirrels are starting to gather nuts --
Are you in a safe place ??
San Diego, CA
5,871 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Originally posted by iancal
We are loyalists to a good itinerary, a good ship, and a good price. No such thing as brand loyalty to us....for any type of purchase.
Despite your veiled attempt to disguise your loyalty to HAL, it shines through in your postings.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Otherwise known as 'Don Quique'..
Rochester NY area
286 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Interesting...I was just about to start a new post to ask about another HAL ship, Veendam. My husband and I last cruised in 2008 for our 5th anniversary, when we took a Panama Canal cruise on HAL's Amsterdam. We are considering another cruise for our 15th anniversary next year. We love the itinerary of the New England/Bermuda cruise on Veendam, and the dates work for when we want to travel. Unfortunately, however, this cruise has gotten a lot of negative reviews, mainly due to the poor condition of the Veendam. Anyone have additional thoughts to share?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
PAST CRUISES:
April/May 2008, HAL Amsterdam, Panama Canal (anniversary)
June 2003, Celebrity Galaxy, Caribbean (honeymoon)
June 1990, Dolphin Sea Breeze, Caribbean (college graduation)
Summer 1987, Chandris Galileo, Bermuda (family)
Summer 1985, Chandris Brittanis, Caribbean (family)
April 1982, Carnival Tropicale, Caribbean (family)
Texas
183 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
Originally posted by btobey
Interesting...I was just about to start a new post to ask about another HAL ship, Veendam. My husband and I last cruised in 2008 for our 5th anniversary, when we took a Panama Canal cruise on HAL's Amsterdam. We are considering another cruise for our 15th anniversary next year. We love the itinerary of the New England/Bermuda cruise on Veendam, and the dates work for when we want to travel. Unfortunately, however, this cruise has gotten a lot of negative reviews, mainly due to the poor condition of the Veendam. Anyone have additional thoughts to share?
there are many choices for that itinerary so be sure to shop around. If you are flexible there may even be newer HAL ships available for the itinerary.
New Brunswick
41,939 Posts
Joined Jan 2009

the thing that concerns me is that if someone posts they had a great cruise 3 months ago, things may change.

When I posted I was surprised originally when Hank started this thread, it was not sarcasm. We got off her in May and everything was great. Probably one of the second best cruises I have been on with service, etc. Yet, just a few months later there are huge maintenance issues.

So everyone's experience can vary. And there is no predicting that.

there is no predicting any cruise. We sailed Oceania Riviera and it rates with one of the worst cruises I have done. the comments continued for 4 weeks and now, everyone is happy again and they got things straightened out. It's the luck (or unlucky) of the draw I guess. No guarantees on anything, sadly.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Albany, NY
840 Posts
Joined May 2013

Oceania also does it out of NY as a full Canada/NE to Bermuda.

Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Princess, Celebrity, Norwegian, Oceania, and Cunard ALL do Canada/New England cruises (O and HAL are the only ones that combine with Bermuda off the top of my head) so no need to limit yourself to just HAL.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

MSC Voyagers Club
Rochester NY area
286 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by Mary229
there are many choices for that itinerary so be sure to shop around. If you are flexible there may even be newer HAL ships available for the itinerary.
We are flexible in terms of ships, less so in terms of dates--we are firm on June, maybe July. I admit I have only looked around a bit so far, but I definitely have not seen "many" ships offering this itinerary during this time frame. (To be clear, we are not just looking to do a New England cruise--it was the NE plus Bermuda that attracted us.)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
PAST CRUISES:
April/May 2008, HAL Amsterdam, Panama Canal (anniversary)
June 2003, Celebrity Galaxy, Caribbean (honeymoon)
June 1990, Dolphin Sea Breeze, Caribbean (college graduation)
Summer 1987, Chandris Galileo, Bermuda (family)
Summer 1985, Chandris Brittanis, Caribbean (family)
April 1982, Carnival Tropicale, Caribbean (family)