No more Coffee Cards

LARGIN

Perhaps cruise on another cruise line? Cruising on Princess just to stiff the staff until you get your perceived value of your free coffee Cards is a questionable decision. You own the decision. No need to try and convince us that you have no other option/choice.

You have your value system and we have ours. It is your right to do as you please.

No, we've pretty much settled on Princess and would hate to lose all of our remaining perks even though they are shrinking.

As soon as I recoup my coffee card loss it'll be back to normal.

Of course you can do as you choose & tip accordingly- no one is saying anything differently. The choice is yours.

Enjoy.

You might have a point there! I'm thinking they don't want "cards" at all. They will put it on your cruise card like other drink packages, I guess. The thing is, now both passengers in the same cabin have to EACH purchase the package since they are saying you can't share!! :o

When we bought cards, I used them for the specialty coffees and DH just got the fresh brewed coffee. Wonder how that will work now?

Is he going to have to purchase a "coffee package" just to get the fresh brewed? Or just pay by the cup for fresh brewed?

I'm thinking that we'll just share the cruise card as necessary. They probably won't look that closely at the name and if they do question it just have the person who owns the card get all the fresh brewed coffee.

Not much different than sharing a coffee card.

I think the new process is a wonderful idea. Just put it on my cruise card and I don't have to think about it. No more searching for old cruise cards before a cruise or remembering to bring it with me when I'm on my way to the atrium for a Mocha, Cappuccino, or a cup of freshly brewed coffee. Yea! Thanks Princess for trying to bring us out of the stone age kicking and screaming.

I even learned how to spell Cappuccino.

I agree!!

How many millions of large "Corporate America" employees would describe their work environment in a similar way??? Welcome to a constant focus on company performance, driven by a constant microscope on corporate earnings. Just tune in to any one of the cable news channels and watch the hourly focus on market/company performance. Many of us have lived in that world and detest the short term focus on "the numbers", versus setting a market strategy, listening to customer feedback, improving goods and services and then giving it a chance to play out. Look at what the airline industry has "devolved" into. Seeing how many passengers they can squeeze onto the plane and totally destroying the passenger experience. Talk to a few airline employees about how they like their job. Of course these strategies are driven by the constant search for the absolutely lowest price by the consumer, thanks in part to how easy it is to shop price(and sometimes not even understanding what you are getting for that bargain price). The budget airlines have forced the mainstream airlines to strip down their service offering in order to compete on price. The mainstream cruise industry is unfortunately going down the same path. The great thing is that there are still plenty of cruise line choices in the market and we are all free to purchase from who we believe gives the best value for our dollar. Princess Cruises continually changes their product and service offering. Some of it works and some of it fails and goes by the wayside. We look forward to changes in the product offering! With as many complaints as I first read about the Royal Princess, it's one of our favorite ships and we look forward to our next cruise on her. Do I wish they had made the balconies a bit larger? of course, but it in no way ruins the total cruise experience we enjoy. I'm amazed at how much dissatisfaction is felt from such a small change in the grand scheme of things. I'm kinda hoping that many will migrate to another cruise line so that my Anytime Dining wait time at the peak dinner hour doesn't ruin my next cruise.....;)

Best post ever!

Well then it shouldn't take them long to get back what they paid for them! ;)
Actually if they got them in trade for a minibar setup for being Elite or in a suite, they paid a heck of a lot for the cards. We got our two extra cards by trading in a minibar setup for being in a suite. In our case, it was an upsell--but still considerably more than our original fare.

Actually if they got them in trade for a minibar setup for being Elite or in a suite, they paid a heck of a lot for the cards. We got our two extra cards by trading in a minibar setup for being in a suite. In our case, it was an upsell--but still considerably more than our original fare.

Basically you got them by trading in something that had no/little value to you. (Mini bar set up). I would guess there are a lot of Elite/suite benefits that people do not consider valuable. The coffee card or the mini bar set up has little value If you have the full drink package.

But of course it is not really fair that the terms of usage changed after the trade. IMO it was a big mistake for Princess to offer the trade without a limitation of using the cards on the current cruise from the beginning. I guess they did not figure that people would collect as many as 25 of them and sell them to others.

But that is over 14 months away. Just book another cruise before then [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We do thankfully have several cruises planned between now and then, and 14 months was relatively generous, but I would still have a LOT of lattes to pound!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is really up to you. What you can't "share" is the fresh brewed part. He can put it on his card and get all the fresh brew he wants. In addition' date=' he can buy your specialty drinks.

The only question is whether he'll have to buy them for you or if you will be allowed to use his card to get them.[/quote']

From what I gather, each passenger has to buy their own package. I guess, as you said, DH can buy the card for his fresh brewed coffee but will have to go buy mine on his card.

NEW GROUNDS COFFEE PACKAGE

Terms & Conditions 2018

What is Included

• The package includes the pre-purchase of a specified number of specialty coffees (numbers vary by itinerary) during the voyage of purchase, as well as complimentary brewed coffee and hot chocolate.
  • Guests may redeem the number of specialty coffees purchased in the package in locations where espresso is available. This will include select bar and dining areas and varies by ship and/or itinerary.
  • Selections and service are limited to that venue’s menu offerings and operating hours.

Package Details and Qualifications

• The package may be pre-purchased up to 4 days prior to boarding the vessel.
  • The package is NOT available for pre-purchase within 3 days of sailing.
  • The coffee package is valid only on the voyage for which it is purchased. If the maximum number of coffees pre-purchased are not used during the voyage, the remaining value will NOT be credited or refunded and is NOT transferrable for any purpose.
  • Coffee packages cannot be sold or otherwise transferred to any individual. Pre-purchased specialty coffees may be shared, but complimentary brewed coffee, teas and hot chocolate continue to be limited to the purchaser.

Exclusions and Limitations

• Does NOT apply to bottled or ready to drink items such as canned coffee items etc.
  • CANNOT be redeemed when ordering Room Service or for Mini Bar items.

Terms and Conditions

• Princess Cruises may modify, amend or update these terms and conditions of our beverage packages / offers at any time with or without notice to guests. The terms and conditions as published on princess.com on the date of sailing will apply, in addition to the terms and conditions of the passage contract.
  • Not all exclusions or limitations can be foreseen or published here and may exist or be implemented with or without notice.
  • Pricing is subject to change without notice, and for vessels designated in a foreign currency (Australia as an example), packages purchased in advance may vary from onboard pricing due to timing and currency fluctuations. Guests will NOT incur additional charges, nor be issued any credits or refunds for such currency variances.
  • By purchasing a coffee package, you agree to these and all future terms and conditions.

So, bottom line for us is: I am still going to get my specialty coffees and DH is still going to get his fresh brewed coffee so we will just have to figure out the best way to go about it.

Edited by suzyed

From what I gather, each passenger has to buy their own package.

....if you both want fresh brewed coffee or hot chocolate for free. Otherwise, the person with the coffee package can drink the free brewed coffee, and pay with a punch for a fancy coffee for whoever they want. At least, that's what I got out of it.

....if you both want fresh brewed coffee or hot chocolate for free. Otherwise, the person with the coffee package can drink the free brewed coffee, and pay with a punch for a fancy coffee for whoever they want. At least, that's what I got out of it.

Sounds like that to me too.

What a fun thread!! It took me a whole cup of coffee to get through it.

By the way, I've just put on a fresh pot and your all invited to stop by for a cup, (no punches required).

we'll be right there. :D

That information is outright incorrect...........With nearly 260 sea days on Princess, we have NEVER been charged 2 punches for any kind of LARGE specialty coffee....their Blended Banoffee (Banana Coffee) is to die for.

A large one with a WHOLE banana (usually it's half a banana) plus extra whipped cream and caramel syrup

has NEVER cost us more than one punch.

I also beg to differ about your comment that a nice barista and International Cafe is an exceedingly rare combination. We have NEVER come across a barista who was not "nice" as you put it. Actually they have always been nice and very accommodating of our requests.

And just to be clear, we are NOT Princess cheerleaders NOR do we cruise exclusively with just Princess.

I'm glad that you've had that experience and that others have as well.

I simply shared the experience I and my DW had on four cruises on Grand Princess between 2015 and 2017.

• 2 weeks later...

This has been an enlightening thread. Thank you to the poster who included a photo of the menu.

I am pretty much addicted to Starbucks so I feel as though this would be a good purchase for me.

To be clear, are ALL of the beverages listed on the printed menu available with the punch card? Some of them look fun!

Just off the Crown (great cruise btw) & exchanged mini bar for 2 coffee cards - they put one on each of our room cards. I had an old card with about 10 punches left so gave that to some fellow passengers who used it with no problems.

This has been an enlightening thread. Thank you to the poster who included a photo of the menu.

I am pretty much addicted to Starbucks so I feel as though this would be a good purchase for me.

To be clear, are ALL of the beverages listed on the printed menu available with the punch card? Some of them look fun!

Yes, the coffee card or package as it is now known covers the beverages listed. And I’ve never been charged more than one punch, even when I ask for an extra shot or a large size.

On our June British Isles cruise one of our group was told by the barista at the International Cafe that they did not have Chai which was listed on the menu, and hadn’t had it since after the ship left Ft. Lauderdale. Must have been a sourcing issue. Do not know if that is still the case.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

On Regal at moment. Did not exchange our bar set up but have not missed coffee card. Ship coffee is very good anyway for a change [emoji846]

I feel the same way about the free coffee on Royal-class ships where the free coffee is made from ground coffee & not from coffee concentrate.

200 post thread upcoming - talk about BREAKING NEWS...if proven true...

gets beer...popcorn on hold for now

official notification ?

still going strong - 369 posts and almost a full month...;p

still going strong - 369 posts and almost a full month...;p

Well I guess people are still weighing in on what they are experiencing while currently sailing....that's a good thing IMHO!