How do I get carnival to waive the cheers package policy?

Scrapninja

i don’t want the cheers package but my boyfriend does. I only drink about 2 drinks a day on average. The cheers package would be a rip off for me. But my boyfriend wants to get it. Is there a way carnival would waive the policy that both people in the room have to order it?? Tell me your experiences.

If his heavy drinking plus your infrequent drinking adds up to more than the value of two Cheers packages, then there's no "rip off" (sic). Buy it for both without worrying that only one of you exceeds the break-even point if calculated individually.

Conversely, if the math doesn't add up--or you are dead certain that you will not be inspired to try to match him just because you can--then just skip the packages altogether. Again, "rip off" (sic) averted--but the reality is, even most self-proclaimed heavy drinkers still do not cross the break even point every single day. So no less a (there's that term again) "rip off" for him than for you.

Edited by fishywood

Some report being pregnant avoided it, but are you.

I have never heard this exception and I have heard many come here and post that they tried.

even pregnancy is not an exception from everything I have read

basically I have heard of no exceptions that ever posted here

I read of two couples in separate cabins that figured out a way that worked for them. Both of the women didn’t drink much at all and didn’t want the drink package since it would be a waste of money for them. Their husbands did drink and insisted on the drink package. So they listed the two men as being in one cabin and the two women as being in the other one. That way they bought two drink packages instead of four. That’s the only instance I’ve heard of getting around the rules. Other than booking kids and dad in one cabin and kids and mom in the other cabin so there weren’t two adults in one cabin. But it doesn’t sound like you have kids. But maybe you have friends going perhaps? Otherwise the cruise lines are very strict about this and rarely allow exceptions.

Carnival's policy is its policy and just because you don't want the drink package isn't enough for them to waive the policy. I have heard of it being waived onboard but only when it was clear that one of the couple couldn't drink (read medical reason). If he can drink 12 drinks a day then with your 2 drinks a day you would more than break even, and you would be able to enjoy specialty coffees, soda, milkshakes etc. as part of your package.

But he cannot use her card and the waiters make sure only THE cardholder can only use their card. She cannot buy him a drink with her card. If you don't get the package, ask for the house brand, don't just ask for a Gin & tonic or the waiter will get you the most $$$ for a bigger tip.

If you are a beer drinker ask for a bucket of beer. Think you get 5 bottles in a bucket of ice, less $$ than buying one at a time. A friend did this and took what he didn't drink back to fridge in his cabin to drink, cold, later.

Why would CCL waive the policy. If they did that for OP they would have to do it for anyone who claimed they didn't drink much. The purpose is to prevent cabin mates from sharing the plan.

A Medical certificate to claim a waiver would exclude the person from any alcohol and the OP wants some, just not a lot.

I have never read of any case where even a medical claim of any kind would be allowed an exception. If this has happened, its extraordinarily rare.

I would hope a medical professional has more integrity.

I have never read of any case where even a medical claim of any kind would be allowed an exception. If this has happened, its extraordinarily rare.

My point was that a medical certificate (stating that they do not or cannot have alcohol) would be useless even if it was accepted.

Carnival will NOT waive the requirement that both parties in the room must purchase the package. When calculating your break-even point, though, be sure to take into account all of the bottled water, specialty coffees, mocktails, soda, and other drinks that you may be consuming. Those are also included in Cheers.

I’m not saying you guys would break the rules if you did only get one package, but cases like yours where one person only wants a couple of drinks is exactly the kind of situation where it does happen, which is why they have the policy.

I have never heard this exception and I have heard many come here and post that they tried.

even pregnancy is not an exception from everything I have read

basically I have heard of no exceptions that ever posted here

This is policy on Royal, but you have to wait till your on board to buy it and state your reason for not wanting it. But its always higher priced once on board. The BS about sharing is just that, good companies don't consider honest customers cheaters, or at least they shouldn't. To prove it isn't about the sharing, at least on Royal, one person can buy the alcohol package and the other can just buy the softdrink package. Those people could still share, they just want your money.

There are some medical situations where the policy may be waved, but "I don't wanna" is not one of them.

No doctor in the world can guarantee a person won’t have a drink. They can recommend but that is about it.

It is naive to think every pregnant woman abstains, people in AA don’t slip, and others don’t ignore Medical advice.

Medical justifications will be on the internet right next to service animal vests if Carnival starts allowing this.