Do you use the stateroom safe?

Alaynne

My last cruise .... May 2017 ... I used the safe. And, there on the inside of the closet door ... were the instructions for resetting the code. IF you forgot the code or the safe wasn't 'taking' the code ... there were the how to's ... step by step to clear existing passcode and setting new one. But .... I had no problems then or ever using a cruise line safe. Just FYI.

Doesn't this reset only work if the safe is open?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Always. Why not? Certainly better than hiding something valuable in the suitcase under the bed.

We do it to protect ourselves but also to protect the staff from false accusations. It is easy to forget where you let something and then wonder if you were a victim of theft. We do the same in hotels.

We are not fooling ourselves. We know it is not ideal. It is however, the best option for us.

I agree,if you leave nothing valuable lying around it means no temptation for an opportunist to steal it.

It must be worrying for the cabin steward who might be falsely accused and lose his job.

We always use the cabin safe. Our choice. I guess this falls under the category, to each their own. ;)

Many times over the years in hotels in Spain we have had to pay to use the in room safe so if the safe is free it doesn't make sense to me why people won't use them.

I don't know what to tell you about the fact that I don't travel with anything of sufficient value to be concerned about. I'm not going to put my clothes, cosmetics, shoes, phone charger, etc in the safe, now that is in fact stupid. I'm not taking rings, necklaces, a camera, a computer, a tablet, excessive cash, etc so what else is there? I know it's something you can't imagine but I bet if you try really really hard you can. I have faith in you. Good luck.

Again - addressing OTHERS than Hey Tina - someone who prefers to handle onboard spending with cash rather than credit cards (see Royal Caribbean post) would be seen as highly likely to travel with a fair amount of cash and refusing to use a safe when carrying enough cash to cover on board spending can reasonably be seen as a stupid attitude ---- not calling her a stupid person at all, but simply so addressing the attitude expressed.

Again - addressing OTHERS than Hey Tina - someone who prefers to handle onboard spending with cash rather than credit cards (see Royal Caribbean post) would be seen as highly likely to travel with a fair amount of cash and refusing to use a safe when carrying enough cash to cover on board spending can reasonably be seen as a stupid attitude ---- not calling her a stupid person at all, but simply so addressing the attitude expressed.

Its there its free i don't understand either.

We once had to abandon ship due to a ship fire while in port. Once the ship was safe for personnel to re-enter, they packed up all the safes and returned them to us in a bag. That is all most people had for their trip back home, other than what they had with them that day.

If you don't carry your house and car keys with you in port....that might be something you might want to keep in there.

I was SPECIFICALLY NOT RESPONDING TO YOU - rather I was attempting to advise otherwise inexperienced cruisers of the advisability of taking common sense precautions rather than to be swayed by your highly self-assured statements. I never questioned your honesty - rather your obvious inconsistency.

I could not care less about what you do, I am certainly not preoccupied with you - I simply wanted to make it abundantly clear to CC'ers that it is just foolish to not take common sense, no cost precautions.

Happy cruising to you.

To everyone BUT NBT: When you want to make a point, don't exclude IN CAPS someone - that just makes everyone know you mean your demeaning words to be directed AT that person. And, looking up someone's post history to try to find something to discredit them, well, that borders on stalking or at least obsessive behavior. Honestly, these are some of the rudest posts I've seen in awhile (and I've been the subject of more than my share). No reason to take things to extremes - it's a public forum, for crying out loud.

Back on topic: No one is forcing anyone to use the safe. It is up to everyone to decide. I do it because I like to know I will find my keys, tablet, passport, etc., in one place at any hotel or ship that I am using. It does offer a measure of security that, if you cannot board the ship, those items will be brought to you. It does protect crew/staff from lies from guests about missing items, usually expensive jewelry. I always wonder at the hotels I work at, why is it always a Rolex or 1-carat diamond studs that were left on the bathroom counter when they left the room and were missing when they returned :confused:

To everyone BUT NBT: When you want to make a point, don't exclude IN CAPS someone - that just makes everyone know you mean your demeaning words to be directed AT that person. And, looking up someone's post history to try to find something to discredit them, well, that borders on stalking or at least obsessive behavior. Honestly, these are some of the rudest posts I've seen in awhile (and I've been the subject of more than my share). No reason to take things to extremes - it's a public forum, for crying out loud.

Back on topic: No one is forcing anyone to use the safe. It is up to everyone to decide. I do it because I like to know I will find my keys, tablet, passport, etc., in one place at any hotel or ship that I am using. It does offer a measure of security that, if you cannot board the ship, those items will be brought to you. It does protect crew/staff from lies from guests about missing items, usually expensive jewelry. I always wonder at the hotels I work at, why is it always a Rolex or 1-carat diamond studs that were left on the bathroom counter when they left the room and were missing when they returned :confused:

TBH i agree with NBT regarding the ladies attitude towards using a safe but some of her posts are controversial but generally quite refreshing and interesting.

I use the empty packing cube for everything I put in the safe. That way when packing to go home I can't accidentally forget what's in the safe cause I have to have that packing cube to repack CPAP . And I still pat down the safe to make sure nothing slipped out. Read on CC about keeping meds in safe, which I hadn't thought about but will do next time so all our "must-haves" will be in one place. .

What a great idea....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Of course we use the safe. We use the beds, bathroom, closets and tv too. We use all the cabin amenities. I can't see how it's reasonable to hide your valuables under the bed instead of putting them in the safe. Bad advice on that other site.

...There are some older folks (we are certainly in that category) who take very long cruises (sometimes over 6 months long) who will lock 10s of thousands of dollars worth of cash and valuables in their safe's.....without any hesitation. Hank

Great advice Hank. Oh, can I ask you a question just in case we are ever on the same loooong cruise and that particular cruise ship has those safes that have keypads that you program with a personal pin number.......

........ what are your favorite numbers?:D

Most people use 1-2-3-4 but Hank, experienced world traveler that he is, probably uses 4-3-2-1. Give it a try, let me know how it works out for you...

Stan

That defeats the object if you have a dishonest cabin steward or room services.

Most people use 1-2-3-4 but Hank, experienced world traveler that he is, probably uses 4-3-2-1. Give it a try, let me know how it works out for you...

Stan

That defeats the object if you have a dishonest cabin steward or room services.

Don't repeat this but GottaKnowWhen's comment was a joke. SHHHHH! :D:D

And Hank, I'm waiting.............

Great advice Hank. Oh, can I ask you a question just in case we are ever on the same loooong cruise and that particular cruise ship has those safes that have keypads that you program with a personal pin number.......

........ what are your favorite numbers?:D

Hahaha. We do realize that a majority of folks here on CC do not take the really long cruises...since most folks are still working. But here it a tale about the "other world." We know of a lady who has taken several World Cruises on Cunard (used to go on the QE2 and now goes on the Queen Mary 2). We are talking about over 100 days and she takes a suite...and also books a 2nd cabin just to store all of her clothes and related stuff. The other folklore story about Cunard is that back in the 50s a lady was on one of the great Queens....where she dined in the "Grill" reserved for those in the largest suites. The Grill used to have the reputation of fulfilling any request (this is no longer true). The ladies male companion ordered an Elephant Steak and the waiter quickly responded, "African or Indian."

Hank

We once had to abandon ship due to a ship fire while in port. Once the ship was safe for personnel to re-enter, they packed up all the safes and returned them to us in a bag. That is all most people had for their trip back home, other than what they had with them that day.

If you don't carry your house and car keys with you in port....that might be something you might want to keep in there.

After one of the fires onboard (or maybe the Concordia) there were several threads about bugout bags. Small bags holding important papers and meds, stored in the safe for quick removal.

Here is a tale of what can happen if you do not use a safe. This story is from a friend (A) who was travelling with another friend (B.) They were in a hotel and B would not use the safe. So she hid her credit cards. Of course she forgot where. They were checking out and travelling and she ended up having to cancel the cards. She had put them under the TV where the staff eventually found them, but too late.

Here is a tale of what can happen if you do not use a safe. This story is from a friend (A) who was travelling with another friend (B.) They were in a hotel and B would not use the safe. So she hid her credit cards. Of course she forgot where. They were checking out and travelling and she ended up having to cancel the cards. She had put them under the TV where the staff eventually found them, but too late.
This is the best reason to use the safe. How many times have I put something in a "safe place", only to not remember, lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app