Do you use the stateroom safe?

Alaynne

I seldom use the safe in hotel rooms. And all over the world, I have not had an issue with things stolen. Even in the one hotel, that had a tent sign on the desk that stated, "Thou shalt not tempt." :D I stole the sign for my office. :D

I do use the safe on the ship. Not that I am worried about theft, but due to the previously mentioned comments about the purser opening the safe and supplying the contents to the port agent. That way, if I miss the ship, there is a chance I could get my wallet and passport.

I seldom use the safe in hotel rooms. And all over the world, I have not had an issue with things stolen. Even in the one hotel, that had a tent sign on the desk that stated, "Thou shalt not tempt." :D I stole the sign for my office. :D

I do use the safe on the ship. Not that I am worried about theft, but due to the previously mentioned comments about the purser opening the safe and supplying the contents to the port agent. That way, if I miss the ship, there is a chance I could get my wallet and passport.

?????? Not sure how your logic works. If you don't use the room safe, then when the purser opens it to look for your passport if you miss the ship, it won't be there. You won't have "a chance" that you get your wallet and passport if they aren't in the safe. :confused::confused:

I think the first thing to remember is to leave at home anything you don't really need. Of course your passport is often required along with some other things, but life is so much easier and vacations more fun when you're not worrying about losing valuables. Having said that we always use the safe and have never had a problem. Happy travels

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, we always use the safe - passports, cell phone (unlike many, we don't use it onboard), cash, jewelry, etc., plus a spare copy of all our emergency contact information (family, insurance phone #, credit card & bank numbers, etc.).

We once had a problem where we couldn't unlock the safe - we must have been off one digit when we entered our usual code. In order to get it opened, the purser's desk said they'd send security to our room. It turned out to be 2 employees - they said they were required to have 2 people when opening safes. It seems to me that the safes are only 'unsafe' if you forget to close them.

Couldn't get my safe open. They sent two people, one from purser's office and one from security and required that I be there also. There is a battery in the safe door that had died. They replaced the battery, had me confirm that everything was still in the safe. I reset the password and was good the rest of the cruise

My last cruise .... May 2017 ... I used the safe. And, there on the inside of the closet door ... were the instructions for resetting the code. IF you forgot the code or the safe wasn't 'taking' the code ... there were the how to's ... step by step to clear existing passcode and setting new one. But .... I had no problems then or ever using a cruise line safe. Just FYI.

I read an article about which was thought provoking.

My last cruise .... May 2017 ... I used the safe. And, there on the inside of the closet door ... were the instructions for resetting the code. IF you forgot the code or the safe wasn't 'taking' the code ... there were the how to's ... step by step to clear existing passcode and setting new one. But .... I had no problems then or ever using a cruise line safe. Just FYI.

There will always be instructions on how to set your own code. But, the door to the safe must already be opened to do that. If you forget your private code and can't unlock and open your safe, those instructions are of zero use. Without opening the door first, codes are not re-settable.

We always use the safe and leave our valuables, paperwork and passports and money there. I'm not worried about it. We have had a safe that wouldn't open before and like another cruiser the steward had to call someone? security? and two people came to open the safe and reset it. We had to be there.

I'd feel much less safe trying to hide valuables or taking them all ashore, besides the nuisance factor. We take ashore the least money or other valuables that we need.

We always use the in-room safe on our cruises, we keep our passports, cash, phones, etc. I don't bring any good jewelry, even leave my wedding rings at home and just wear costume jewelry.

On one of our cruises, my daughter put her candy in the safe and then couldn't get the safe opened (imagine the horror!):eek:. To get the safe open, we had to have two employees come to our cabin, although I don't remember who they were.

The safe is safe. Anything is safer than leaving valuables out or even hidden

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We put out valuables in the safe shortly after entering our cabin and always use a safe it one is provided and properly bolted into position.

There was a time when there weren't safes in the cabins and things had to be taken to the Pursers Desk to use a safety deposit box there.

Wonderful to now have safes in our cabins and we certainly use ours! :)

Some of our first cruises were on the Sun cruises fleet and we had to use a safe next to GS as there were none in our cabins.

Some of our first cruises were on the Sun cruises fleet and we had to use a safe next to GS as there were none in our cabins.

:D Gosh, I remember when we thought getting a good cabin would be close to the Purser's Desk for the convenience of our safety deposit box.

So happy to have them in cabins now! :)

There are times when the cabin steward may be working on 2-3 cabins at once. With doors propped open. Anyone going by, crew or pax, could step in, take stuff from desk top or shelf or suitcase hidden under the bed. They can’t get into the safe. The safe is safe. Use it.

There are times when the cabin steward may be working on 2-3 cabins at once. With doors propped open. Anyone going by, crew or pax, could step in, take stuff from desk top or shelf or suitcase hidden under the bed. They can’t get into the safe. The safe is safe. Use it.

I have seen that too especially with clothes hung in the closet next to the door, it is worrying to think any opportunist thief could help themselves so yes always keep valuables including medications locked up.

Besides peace of mind, there is no reason not to use the cabin safe since you don't have to pay extra to use it.

Well, that's a stupid opinion... (sorry, I couldn't help it, based on your comment in another thread) ;););)

The ship's security personnel can "quiz" your door lock to see exactly who has opened your cabin door and when they did it. And, as others have said, if something goes wrong with your safe (can't remember number, batteries die), two people will come by to remove suspicion that they take something when fixing. They can find out pretty quickly who is cabin occupant and they can ask for an ID. That way, if someone happened to enter your room under suspicious circumstances and ask to have the safe opened, they may verify the right person is asking for the opening.

Please explain why you have never used the safe - and why, after even after you lose something (probably at least in part because you did not put it in the safe) you think you will still refuse to take such a common sense approach-- are you truly ineducable?

I just really don't care about anything in my room to the point that I'd want to put it in a safe. I'd also wager I'm not going to lose something simply because I didn't put it in the safe. Hasn't happened once in the thousand plus hotel stays I've had. Maybe I'm better at keeping track of my stuff than the majority of people.

I just really don't care about anything in my room to the point that I'd want to put it in a safe. I'd also wager I'm not going to lose something simply because I didn't put it in the safe. Hasn't happened once in the thousand plus hotel stays I've had. Maybe I'm better at keeping track of my stuff than the majority of people.

It sounds like you travel light.lol

Over here in the UK where almost everyone has travel insurance check your policy terms and conditions. You may find that if you decide not to use the provided safe and make a claim for 'stolen' items that claim will be rejected.