Mega Mal de Mer

OlsSalt

What looks like Las Vegas should stay in Las Vegas - 40 revolting pictures of the new generation of floating warehouses: https://www.farandwide.com/s/largest-cruise-ships-4e56865b699a4631?utm_campaign=largestcruise-3e5b14b5cbde4c58&utm_source=tab&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=hearstlocalnews-sfgatecom

Where is my Bonine. No HAL, you do not have to compete. Carve out your own niche with what you have right now - there is no competition for the HAL cruise experience out there - hold fast.

What looks like Las Vegas should stay in Las Vegas - 40 revolting pictures of the new generation of floating warehouses: https://www.farandwide.com/s/largest-cruise-ships-4e56865b699a4631?utm_campaign=largestcruise-3e5b14b5cbde4c58&utm_source=tab&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=hearstlocalnews-sfgatecom

Where is my Bonine. No HAL, you do not have to compete. Carve out your own niche with what you have right now - there is no competition for the HAL cruise experience out there - hold fast.

Yes, that's the future...or..maybe not...

When these ships are the only choice available, then I will be staying home. The Zuiderdam is the biggest ship we have travelled on, and although we enjoyed the cruise immensely, our favourite will always be the Maasdam. I too hope that HAL will realise that many people would rather travel in smaller ships, and keep up their traditional cruise offerings.

I suppose you don't like hitting port with 6000 new friends either. :)

Interesting. You're right those are not for me, we've done one RCI cruise enjoyed the cruise but not the crowds. Glad there are still the more traditional cruise ships out there. To each their own, enjoy what ever ship you're on.

Most of the mega ships have a lot of amenities that we aren't interested in - theme parks, go karts, rock climbing, etc. I'm happy they are providing them for folks who do enjoy participating in such activities, but we'll continue to sail the relatively smaller ships of Holland America. I can't say we'll never go one one of the mega ships, because I can see they are great for multi-generational families, but for now, we're happy where we are.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Most of the mega ships have a lot of amenities that we aren't interested in - theme parks, go karts, rock climbing, etc. I'm happy they are providing them for folks who do enjoy participating in such activities, but we'll continue to sail the relatively smaller ships of Holland America. I can't say we'll never go one one of the mega ships, because I can see they are great for multi-generational families, but for now, we're happy where we are.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

My feelings exactly! Just got off a family cruise on the new Carnival Horizon :eek:

When these ships are the only choice available, then I will be staying home. The Zuiderdam is the biggest ship we have travelled on, and although we enjoyed the cruise immensely, our favourite will always be the Maasdam. I too hope that HAL will realise that many people would rather travel in smaller ships, and keep up their traditional cruise offerings.

Agree 100% ... but also realize that, for HAL to do so will result in significantly higher cruise fares, as HAL's "economies of scale" increase (at an exponential rate) as its passenger loads increase in number. Thus, to increase revenues, HAL will need to increase fares on smaller ships and/or cut its operating costs on those ships. Personally I would rather pay higher fares to maintain the quality of HAL's cruise offerings than to see quality sacrificed at the cost-cutting altar.

I have been on 4 of these "monstrosities" and enjoyed them all. I will say NCL Epic is the ugliest ship I have ever seen, though! Most of the large ships handle the crowds quite well, IMO. My only complaint is that the itineraries are very mundane since they are too large to get into any of the more interesting ports. Next up is the Koningsdam, and I expect she will fit us just right :)

I personally think the behemoth of the seas type ships are pretty ugly and they wouldn't be my first choice for a cruise. But aside from just dealing with the crowd of 3000-6000 folks on the same ship, my personal concern is what about in an emergency? Yeah, I know, there are lifeboats for everyone, the crew is well trained, that's what the lifeboat drill is for, yadda yadda. But if heaven forbid there is a real, abandon ship emergency where time is of the essence, I'm really not sure I want to depend on a crowd that large not panicking and conducting an orderly, quick evacuation where everyone does what they're supposed to and gets off the ship quickly enough. Obviously I hope nothing of the sort ever does happen and the chances of that do seem pretty remote, but I like my chances better on a HAL-sized ship than on a behemoth.

If we wanted amenities offered on these ships, we would go to Las Vegas, Disneyworld or a water park. We are grateful to still have choices that give us smaller ships, interesting itineraries, low key atmosphere with excellent staff, relaxing ship experience with cruisers interested in the same things. And, we too, hope that HAL will continue to provide this. Like others, if this is no longer available, we will be staying home or finding other travel experiences.

QM2 is a real anomaly here. While huge, she carries only about 2600 passengers, roughly the same as the Koningsdam.

Roy

IMHO QM2 doesn't belong in this list. Seems physical size is the only thing in common. Have been on both QM2 and Koningsdam and although similar in size, they feel very different from each other. Loved sailing on both and enjoyed what each offered.

Hello Fellow cruisers !

I like the title «Mal de Mer» and I can assure you that I totally agree with the majority of you.

I like ships that are looking like ships. No megapark for me.

Just here (on HA) to discover a new side of the World !

New inhabitants, new cities, new feelings, etc.

Holacanada from Quebec City

Cruising on the Koningsdam next november.

We'll be on Crystal Symphony next year and I'm wondering if it will feel claustrophobic. We'll see.
I have sailed on Crystal and I think you will feel very comfortable. Not too many people onboard, so the amount of space per person is large. Not claustrophobic at all.