How far would you drive for a short 3/4 night cruise??

My husband and I are flying from New England to California for a 4-day. [emoji51]

But actually, I have family there whom I haven’t seen in years, so we are also using it as an excuse to visit them. And to also stay at (on?) the Queen Mary Hotel, because it’s been on my bucket list.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Even if we lived in Florida and had a 2 or 3 hour drive to the port, we would never consider a short cruise. All that work packing and making certain that you have all your medications is just not worth it for us. You are barely on the ship and then you have to get off.
So guess you don't take short vacations in general. We're looking at a 4 day holiday before our kids return to school. So it's either 4 days on a ship or 4 days visiting a city. Either way, it's worth it and both will be a great time.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

We drove six hours to take my mother-in-law on a 5-day cruise from Charleston. It would have been just five hours if we didn't have to pick her up.

Last month we drove 14 hours to Fort Lauderdale for a 7-day cruise. We stopped at a hotel on the way down and at another on the way back. I would not drive that far for a shorter cruise.

We once flew to Miami for a 4-day cruise. We spent two nights there before the cruise, so the overall vacation was almost a week long. We've also done this with three nights in the Keys before another 4-day cruise. The shortest cruise we've flown to Florida to take without spending any additional nights was a 5-day cruise. I was glad we were able to go on that cruise, but I wouldn't do it again without spending some extra days in Florida.

I won't even head to the port 20 minutes from my house for anything less than 5 days. Even 5 day cruises are too short for us but we did do a 5 day from port of Charleston as we are in the area and the dates were perfect. If we have to head down to Florida where the drive is between 6-10 hours depending on the port, it has to be at least seven nights.

I'm closer than you (West Ashley) and don't even go to the port. Mostly because they are so darn expensive out of Charleston. I priced one out a while ago and it would have been cheaper to drive to Jacksonville and go from there for me. (even including a hotel and gas)

I would never even choose a 3-4 day cruise! Too short!! Not enough time onboard to warrant the cost of travel there and back. With that said, if you lived right near any port, then go for it, but I would have to drive at least 6 hours for the nearest ports (NYC and Boston), and that’s too far to me unless I planned being in port city for a vacation also. I guess if I lived in a port city I would do short cruises, but that’s the only time.

I thought that too until I tried one. It was great and we have another one planned for this summer. Though I would not fly for one. We live about 4 hours from Charleston and 5 hours from Baltimore. I wish Norfolk had more offerings, because we only live 2.5 hours from there.

I think the only way I would fly for one is if I was meeting friends/family for a group cruise.

I'm still a working stiff, a four-night cruise that spans a weekend is great. Only have to take three days off from work. It's great for a little getaway and recharge the batteries. Our plan is to take a week long cruise and a four-night each year until we retire.

I'd do it even if only to find out it's something I'd never want to do again. I say go for it.

It's the people who already have taken short cruises who can offer the best advice on this point; and I suspect that a lot of the wisest of them would not want to drive any significant distance for another 3 day cruise.

We've never done a cruise that short; would only do it if we were within a couple hours of port and the price was unbelievable.

Normally we won't do less than 10 days and driving isn't an option from Nebraska. We're talking 3 days + unless you drive all day and all night.

3-4 nights? Waste of time (with or without driving).

Why? Not all vacations are 7+ days....either financially or time away from work/school. Some take smaller holidays and so options are to visit somewhere...on land, or enjoy a few days on a cruise.

Why? Not all vacations are 7+ days....either financially or time away from work/school. Some take smaller holidays and so options are to visit somewhere...on land, or enjoy a few days on a cruise.

A weekend land getaway is totally different from a three day cruise. First day is largely just the hassle of checking in/boarding; then you have two days - which might get you to some place like Nassau or Ensenada (whoopie!), then you are being rushed off the ship: very little to "enjoy".

Nonetheless, the ROI is terrible.

A weekend land getaway is totally different from a three day cruise. First day is largely just the hassle of checking in/boarding; then you have two days - which might get you to some place like Nassau or Ensenada (whoopie!), then you are being rushed off the ship: very little to "enjoy".

We could have gone camping for a week I guess, but the 4 day cruise was more "exotic" (and yes, that included Nassau as a port of call). I suppose we could have gone to a land destination (other than camping) for a week, but then we would have been limited to McD's and the like for meals and entertainment would have been DVD's which we had brought with us. To many, a 4 day cruise is a viable option when all of their circumstances are taken into account.

We've been on a dozen or so 3-day cruises and drive 3-4 hours to the port, the time depending on LA traffic. And we'll do it again because we like weekend getaways, whether it's on a cruise, going to a beachfront hotel, or trying our luck in Vegas. We're 3-4 hours from the beach and 4 hours from Vegas.

Satisfied?

I'm "satisfied" that you think a 3 day cruise is worth a 3-4 hour drive each way. Are you "satisfied" that some other people might think differently?