2 Galveston questions

hawkeye93

1. What’s a good time to plan on arriving? 12? 1?

2. Directions: awhile back I saw someone saying not to take the Terminal Exit port and instead stay on 45/broadest until 22nd St (I’m thinking that was it). Is this still a good method to take? We are parking across street at Park and Cruise and hopefully won’t need to unload any luggage first.

3. What are the dumb Texas liquor laws again? What’s available prior to that magical 12 nautical miles out?

4. Wine goes in carry on, right? If I hope to take a few loose cans of Fresca (don’t laugh- it’s my favorite vodka mixer) should that go in carry on, too?

Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1. Before 11, see #2 below the extra time caused us to be caught in a computer glitch that we had to wait another 45 minutes before we were allowed to board.

2. 25th street you can take a left (small street, New Strand Street, looks like an ally just about 100ft from the Terminal Road) if you plan to walk. If not walking add at least 30 minutes. But last time it took us at least 45 minutes to drop off at pier before parking.

3. Don't know

4. Carry on wine. If not you will have to go to the "confiscation dungeon" to claim it and the bag it came in late in the evening.

Have fun.

You cheated.

You said 2 Galveston questions and asked 4.

Lol! Seriously I meant to just type “Galveston Questions”. No idea why I put the 2 in there.

Wow- so I need to be there much earlier than I thought. Thanks!!

Lol! Seriously I meant to just type “Galveston Questions”. No idea why I put the 2 in there.

You don't need to be there earlier. I just mentioned 10:30am so as to give you the max time on the ship that day. You can go as late as 90 minutes before scheduled departure.

The only dumb TX liquor law I recall from our Carnival cruise was the only draft beer they could serve before we left port was the Red Frog brewed in TX. You could get all sorts of bottle/can beer. But that was the only draft while in port.

On shore, I don't think you can buy alcohol before noon on Sunday. You can't wear your gun in a liquor establishment if that makes a difference?

Hate Texas liquor law, on of the reasons m last and next few cruises will be out of other ports. You are limited to liquor with a Texas tax stamp, until you are in international water, so they just have cheap vodka, gin etc and limited brands of beer, normally this is only for a few hours to about 6 pm, but because of weather fog problems this is sometimes delayed much longer, another thing is when you disembark there will be people trying to collect tax on any booze you bought on the ship ot ports, I ignore them.

You don't need to be there earlier. I just mentioned 10:30am so as to give you the max time on the ship that day. You can go as late as 90 minutes before scheduled departure.

Not only will it give you max time on the ship, but the lines are much shorter. We arrived at 11 and were on ship sipping a beverage by the pool at 11:45.

Tito's is not cheap vodka! :)

People tend to get freaked over this but there is plenty of booze to drink (unless the ship gets delayed until late evening and then yes it's possible they could run out - but unlikely). Unless you are really particular on your call brands you can get just about anything.

Hey, don’t knock Texas liquor laws. We want the taxes...that’s why we have some of the lowest tax rates in the country! And com’on, you can slum it with cheap booze and beer for a couple of hours...you got a whole week for the good stuff. And as to the 12 noon Sunday limit to buy alcohol, that’s so everybody can sober up from Saturday night and get their buns in church!:')

Hey, don’t knock Texas liquor laws. We want the taxes...that’s why we have some of the lowest tax rates in the country! And com’on, you can slum it with cheap booze and beer for a couple of hours...you got a whole week for the good stuff. And as to the 12 noon Sunday limit to buy alcohol, that’s so everybody can sober up from Saturday night and get their buns in church!:')

The reason you want to avoid the road in front of the terminal is that it backs up solid in both directions. Almost impossible to make a left into the port across traffic and you get stuck waiting for people who are doing this. Last trip the car service driver went beyond the terminals about even with the Harbor House hotel and then drove back along the pier. This put us in a position to turn right into the pier area.

By the way, if you bring booze back from a cruise the Liquor Board has a table to charge you Texas taxes, even if you are going straight to the airport. Fee is $3.00 per bottle plus an amount based on the size of the bottle. For a mini single serving bottle this is $3.50

The reason you want to avoid the road in front of the terminal is that it backs up solid in both directions. Almost impossible to make a left into the port across traffic and you get stuck waiting for people who are doing this. Last trip the car service driver went beyond the terminals about even with the Harbor House hotel and then drove back along the pier. This put us in a position to turn right into the pier area.

By the way, if you bring booze back from a cruise the Liquor Board has a table to charge you Texas taxes, even if you are going straight to the airport. Fee is $3.00 per bottle plus an amount based on the size of the bottle. For a mini single serving bottle this is $3.50

Any idea what the tax is on the normal sized bottle from the ship? I will be flying back to Canada the same day.

Any idea what the tax is on the normal sized bottle from the ship? I will be flying back to Canada the same day.

We paid $ 3.75 for our 1 litre bottle we brought back last month. Tax was payable even if you were travelling through to the airport.

Don't know if this is the "Dumb Texas Liquor Law' or not, but any bottle of liquor that you may bring back to Galveston (or any other Texas port) they charge you an additional $3.75 per bottle, no matter where you bought it. That kind of took a lot of the 'savings' away when you compare prices.

For us, 'pretty dumb law'

Cheers

Len

Disembarked on Sunday with 4 bottles of Crown Black; we paid $18,75 each for on the ship. When I add in the $3.75 tax that is $22.50 each. The best price we have found for Crown Black locally in TX is $33.98+ tax so even after paying the tax it was a bargain.

• 2 weeks later...

if you're leaving from frisco, keep in mind how much further past houston that galveston is....it's a solid 4.5 - 5 hour drive for us from the mid cities depending on wacky i-45 can be

Don't know if this is the "Dumb Texas Liquor Law' or not, but any bottle of liquor that you may bring back to Galveston (or any other Texas port) they charge you an additional $3.75 per bottle, no matter where you bought it. That kind of took a lot of the 'savings' away when you compare prices.

For us, 'pretty dumb law'

Cheers

Len

I believe you pay "Duty" no matter what port your arrive in. Not just Texas.

if you're leaving from frisco, keep in mind how much further past houston that galveston is....it's a solid 4.5 - 5 hour drive for us from the mid cities depending on wacky i-45 can be

Yeah, we would leave from Benbrook at around 5 am on day of cruise. Stop for breakfast once and then Buccees in Texas City of course. Around 5 hours or so for us as well. Have never had a traffic issue in 5 trips down but thankfully we are going down on Saturday this time so no worries at all. We do enjoy the drive though.

I believe you pay "Duty" no matter what port your arrive in. Not just Texas.

No, you pay "duty" to the Federal Gov. for any amount of liquor over the allowable limit (1 liter per person). Texas taxes you (state tax) on every amount of liquor brought into the state. Technically, they could have the same desks at the airports and at all road crossings into the state to impose the same tax for liquor entering from other states.

No, you pay "duty" to the Federal Gov. for any amount of liquor over the allowable limit (1 liter per person). Texas taxes you (state tax) on every amount of liquor brought into the state. Technically, they could have the same desks at the airports and at all road crossings into the state to impose the same tax for liquor entering from other states.

Yes, I don't recall ever being taxed for alcohol bought onboard except for Galveston.