tips

Another tip increase, when will it end? How can we take the tips off our account and tip in cash?

So you want to tip less? Pathetic. But go to guest services when you board so crew will know that you removed tips.

LOL. I brought this up yesterday but got scolded from bumping and old thread....

So if I leave my automatic tips on my room (I believe a 7 night Suite will now add $490 for four people) then I don't have to tip the "normal" people (room steward, waiters ...) but who doesn't get a piece of these tips that I should tip in cash? Obviously room service deliveries but where else?

I wish RCCL would just call this what it is. A service charge.

LOL. I brought this up yesterday but got scolded from bumping and old thread....

So if I leave my automatic tips on my room (I believe a 7 night Suite will now add $490 for four people) then I don't have to tip the "normal" people (room steward, waiters ...) but who doesn't get a piece of these tips that I should tip in cash? Obviously room service deliveries but where else?

I wish RCCL would just call this what it is. A service charge.

Automatic tips covers your stateroom attendant and helpers, plus your dining staff in the Main Dining Room and Windjammer.

Tips were added to accounts because folks were short changing the crew......not sure why everyone complains. I always tip more myself.

The only people short changing the crew are their employers

Guests pay for their cruise and seemingly pay for the cruise company's staff as well

It's a crazy situation that is now uniquely north American in an international industry

Increase the fares and lose the tips to eliminate confusion in a worldwide industry

I booked my upcoming cruise last August. Maybe we're fools, but we have the opportunity to pre-pay our cruise at the $13.50 pp/pd rate or pay $14.50 pp/pd on the ship. It's a 12 night cruise and there are four of us, so the savings would only be $48. Personally, I think the crew earns their tips and I'd hate to cheat them out of the extra $1 a day, so we are just waiting and having the tips added to our shipboard account.

(Plus, we always give extra tips in cash to our room steward and wait staff if they do a particularly good job. If they didn't, we wouldn't.)

The only people short changing the crew are their employers

Guests pay for their cruise and seemingly pay for the cruise company's staff as well

It's a crazy situation that is now uniquely north American in an international industry

Increase the fares and lose the tips to eliminate confusion in a worldwide industry

You pay for the "staff" of every business that you patronize. The cost of the goods that you purchase in a store cover the salaries of those who work there, plus profit for the corporation.

This fuss over "the ships should pay the staff, not us" is a result of serious misunderstanding.

Thanks Bob. I don't mind tipping but I don't like giving up control who I think deserves my tips either. I grew up in a time when you earned your tip before it was paid.
Used to be that you tipped at the START of the meal. To Insure Prompt Service.

Sent from my VS996 using Forums mobile app

So you want to tip less? Pathetic. But go to guest services when you board so crew will know that you removed tips.

Pay attention. It looks like he is gripping about an INCREASE in tip percentages. If they were already 18%, what are they now after the increase. What will they be after 3 more increases, 35% perhaps? Quit acting like you are better than others and bullying people on this thread. In short, contribute to the conversation in a POSITIVE way or simply IGNORE the thread and put your attitude back in your pocket.

There were plenty of constructive recommendations and yes, the OP can simply wait until the end of the cruise to remove the "automatic" tips and then he/she can tip in ANY amount or percentage in cash or otherwise HE/SHE feels is appropriate without having to endure YOUR "personal" opinion. ;p

Pay attention. It looks like he is gripping about an INCREASE in tip percentages. If they were already 18%, what are they now after the increase. What will they be after 3 more increases, 35% perhaps? Quit acting like you are better than others and bullying people on this thread. In short, contribute to the conversation in a POSITIVE way or simply IGNORE the thread and put your attitude back in your pocket.

There were plenty of constructive recommendations and yes, the OP can simply wait until the end of the cruise to remove the "automatic" tips and then he/she can tip in ANY amount or percentage in cash or otherwise HE/SHE feels is appropriate without having to endure YOUR "personal" opinion. ;p

Or yours.

Just popping into the latest thread on tipping to see if anything even remotely new has been brought forth on this topic.

Nope.

Nope, sure hasn't. Don't know why i even clicked on this thread.

The "gratuities" the ship charges to your account cover your CABIN ATTENDANT, WAITERS, ASS'T WAITERS, and HEAD WAITER. Those are the only folks you're expected to tip.

Bartenders are covered under the 18% they add to your bill or package. There is NO NEED to tip additionally to anyone included in the tips.

You pay for the "staff" of every business that you patronize. The cost of the goods that you purchase in a store cover the salaries of those who work there, plus profit for the corporation.

This fuss over "the ships should pay the staff, not us" is a result of serious misunderstanding.

Well said Carol.

The "gratuities" the ship charges to your account cover your CABIN ATTENDANT, WAITERS, ASS'T WAITERS, and HEAD WAITER. Those are the only folks you're expected to tip.

Bartenders are covered under the 18% they add to your bill or package. There is NO NEED to tip additionally to anyone included in the tips.

Do you ever read other responses before you post? I think not.