Who should pay for noro treatment

librarymom

A simple non-invasive means is to do a visual thermal scan on people as they enter the waiting area. A person running a fever would register and could be taken aside for screening.

Just prior to boarding I was seated next to a person who had a very bad cold, told me they were running a fever and the meds were masking some of his symptoms. And yes, about 5 days later I came down with a very bad cold that lasted about 3 weeks.

I fail to see why it is the passengers responsibility to solve the cruise line problems. Maybe your question or comments should be to the cruise line - What are they doing to better screen and protect the passengers.

Princess Cruises scrubs down every available surface with disinfectant and washes all linens when there is norovirus.

Airplanes scrub... the restroom? Certainly not any of the seats, nor most of the tray tables I've seen. Then there is the recirculating air system onboard for airborne issues...

http://www.royalfree.nhs.uk/default.aspx?top_nav_id=1&tab_id=502 quoted as saying the following about Norovirus:

• The incubation period is 24-72 hours. This is the time between catching the virus and developing symptoms ...
  • The symptoms usually last for 24-48 hours
  • People remain highly infectious for at least 48 hours after symptoms have settled and may still excrete virus for 2 weeks after the illness. This makes transmission very difficult to control.

It really is a wonder that cruises have such a low incident rate, for something that is regularly imported from the outside (can we guess where it comes from?). And people who don't report an issue will spread it for over four days...

Don't forget we all sign an affidavit saying we've not been (or have been) recently ill - so for those who haven't then likely they acquired the virus while travelling.

A simple non-invasive means is to do a visual thermal scan on people as they enter the waiting area. A person running a fever would register and could be taken aside for screening.

Just prior to boarding I was seated next to a person who had a very bad cold, told me they were running a fever and the meds were masking some of his symptoms. And yes, about 5 days later I came down with a very bad cold that lasted about 3 weeks.

I fail to see why it is the passengers responsibility to solve the cruise line problems. Maybe your question or comments should be to the cruise line - What are they doing to better screen and protect the passengers.

Great idea. I agree with you! However, can you imagine how many people would be upset because they are being screened for something else in addition to an airport TSA screening? They did this when the swine flu was going on and it created a big problem. People feel they have their rights and should not have their privacy invaded.

When I had noro on our WC in 2009, the ship paid all medical expenses for all affected with the signs and symptoms....no charge to us. So maybe it depends on your symptoms and how big a percentage of the ship is ill....we had about 10% and were on 'noro precautions' in the buffet and dining room for a good 10-14 days...

My mother just returned from the Crown Princess noro infected cruise. Yep, she caught it. She was charged over $100 for medical care. She has all kinds of insurance, but I sort of feel they shouldn't be charging passengers for this. Any opinion on this?

We had it on Island Princess in 2007 and the ship charged us nothing...

They gave us a shot for nausea, pills...no charge. Maybe we were lucky...had we been charged, we would have ultimately submitted it to insurance.

What I would love to see is the restriction of self-service in the buffet area become a regular policy...I'm convinced that's where Noro is most widely spread. While expensive from a labor standpoint for the ship, I think it might be easily offset by considering how much revenue is lost during an outbreak.

You are correct. In my observation, ships with restrictions had no noro outbreak.

Great idea - the reason the virus gets out of hand is because people don't care enough about their shipmates to do the right thing...make 'em pay!

Personally, however, I think anyone who is knowingly sick and does not either report or self quarantine should have to pony up for everyone.

As a passenger, it might not be your responsibility to "solve the problem" but it is the other passenger's responsibility to be ... responsible. In this situation, do you really think it was the cruise line's fault that you caught the cold?

I am sure not just a few cases occur because a boarding passenger picked up the virus while traveling from home to port. At embarkation, he/she would exhibit no symptoms and have no elevated temperature.

Yet, 24 hours later the next outbreak on the ship will start.

I didn't have an opinion on this previously.

The more I thought about this - the more I realized that if the ship really wants this to not spread - they need to encourage people to report if they have symptoms and not be charged for it. As previously indicated - Princess didn't used to charge for this (and other lines apparently do not also at times).

And IMO - they need to re-think a variety of things. For example - I always credited that I never received norovirus because I always ate in the dining room. I think closing this on port days is not a great idea. I doubt they are going to re-open this. But I really think they need to re-think how they run their buffets. I have no doubt that a lot of people are infected by hundreds of people handling the same serving ware. It needs to be served by employees. Or - as my work buffet has gone to - servings are put in small baskets so you just grab a small basket at each station. Convenient, no - but I have no doubt this would reduce the amount of sick people onboard.

I have a friend who is a physician and absolutely hates buffets. He indicates that people get sick all the time from handling utensils that others handle.

I like many am surprised that Princess charges for Noro treatment at the medical center, I had previously thought it was free. We know that there are some ships that have large outbreaks from time to time and it is cruise after cruise...yes it was initially brought on the ship by a passenger or passengers but in many cases the virus is on the ship before the passenger boards. Can this be proved, obviously not but a charge at the medical center is a huge disincentive to report a case of Noro and just allows it to spread. A couple of years ago on the Grand I guess I contracted it...I was a pretty sick puppy for some 8 hrs but by mid-morning I was fine...did I error in not going to the medical center, perhaps I did but I certainly wouldn't rush to it if I am going to be whacked for $100+. It's all well and good to say that you can claim it on your travel insurance but many have deductibles that are greater then that. Liability is one thing, doing what is fair is another.

I didn't think the travel insurance had a deductable. I know many regular health insurance policies lately have raised their deductables and many don't cover outside the US and Medicare doesn't either. We made sure dh's secondary policy covers out of the country and ALWAY have taken out travel insurance.

I've heard that many people that live close to port cities do not take the insurance since they figure they can get to port and don't have to worry about weather or travel delays but forget about health issues.

I'm afraid that this could cause not only cruise prices to increase but also travel insurance. I'm sure people will be filing claims for the lost days.

I just hate to see this happen to people on their vacations. It's bad enough for those of us who are retired but think of the people who only have two to three weeks vacation a year and really needed some down time. I remember back when we were still working - I would have been so frustrated.

But I really think they need to re-think how they run their buffets. I have no doubt that a lot of people are infected by hundreds of people handling the same serving ware. It needs to be served by employees. Or - as my work buffet has gone to - servings are put in small baskets so you just grab a small basket at each station. Convenient, no - but I have no doubt this would reduce the amount of sick people onboard.

This is a little off the subject of "who should pay", but I agree, and it goes deeper than that. You have such a mix of cultures and people on board, that you often see very shocking behavior in the buffet.

On our last cruise (where we contracted Noro), we frequently saw people licking their fingers before handling the serving tongs.

I saw a woman picking individual raisins out of the raisin crock at breakfast, putting them in her mouth, sucking her fingers, then reaching in for more.

I spotted a guest that decided to tidy up the bacon area at breakfast, by gathering strips of bacon that had fallen on the counter and the floor, and then carefully putting them back into the serving tray.:eek:

In each case, I called the incidents to the attention of the staff, who promptly took the contaminated food or utensils away, but that's just a ten minute window where I happened to notice. I can't imagine how much must occur all day long.

I did a little research and I think I am right on the liability issue. It appears that if Princess pays for the medical care, they can be considered the care provider for legal reasons which opens them up to malpractice and other suits. If the doctor bills for the care via princess, he/she is the care provider because they are under contract not employees.

The possible middle ground might be to offer compensating OBC, but even that could be tricky.

That said, in the case of a large outbreak I think they should waive this policy (basically when code red is called), but not during normal sailings.

This is a little off the subject of "who should pay", but I agree, and it goes deeper than that. You have such a mix of cultures and people on board, that you often see very shocking behavior in the buffet.

On our last cruise (where we contracted Noro), we frequently saw people licking their fingers before handling the serving tongs.

I saw a woman picking individual raisins out of the raisin crock at breakfast, putting them in her mouth, sucking her fingers, then reaching in for more.

I spotted a guest that decided to tidy up the bacon area at breakfast, by gathering strips of bacon that had fallen on the counter and the floor, and then carefully putting them back into the serving tray.:eek:

In each case, I called the incidents to the attention of the staff, who promptly took the contaminated food or utensils away, but that's just a ten minute window where I happened to notice. I can't imagine how much must occur all day long.

This is why we have not gone to the buffet to eat for years and I don't think we will ever go back

Get a prescription for Phenergan (possible the best anti nausea medicine out) and pack Imodium (over the counter anti diarrhea medicine). There is no "treatment" for noro. Like most virus' you have to just ride it out.

The biggest problem is noro is extremely contagious. My wife contracted it from a nursing home she was working at. I was sick within 12 hours of her becoming ill. My son contracted it as well a few hours later. My eldest who visited 2 days later got it as well.

While the nausea and diarrhea lasted about 15 hours you end up spending 2 to 3 days feeling completed drained due to the lost of fluids.

We were fortunate that it hit us at home, I can't imagine being stuck in a tiny cruise cabin being that sick.

I feel really bad for those poor folks, lousy way to spend your "vacation".

I had a bad dose of this illness a few months ago while in UK.Feel picked it up on a BA flight from Vancouver we were packed like sausages on an old 747.

I don't think passengers should have to pay if they develop this disease if they have been onboard several days especially with the dining room closures on port days,for they don't have a chance having to use the same serving utensils that someone unknowingly having that illness used.

Agree one feels rotten and tired if one gets a bad dose like I had for days later.

Have written to Customer Relations regarding serving utensils in Horizon Court and it would not harm if many of us did.It usually takes many complaints for Companies to take action.......Heather

I didn't think the travel insurance had a deductable. I know many regular health insurance policies lately have raised their deductables and many don't cover outside the US and Medicare doesn't either. We made sure dh's secondary policy covers out of the country and ALWAY have taken out travel insurance.

I've heard that many people that live close to port cities do not take the insurance since they figure they can get to port and don't have to worry about weather or travel delays but forget about health issues.

I'm afraid that this could cause not only cruise prices to increase but also travel insurance. I'm sure people will be filing claims for the lost days.

I just hate to see this happen to people on their vacations. It's bad enough for those of us who are retired but think of the people who only have two to three weeks vacation a year and really needed some down time. I remember back when we were still working - I would have been so frustrated.

The travel insurance I had did not have a deductible on the two occassions I filed a claim. Both times, they paid the entire amount that wan not cover by my regular medical insurance.

We have learned to be very defensive and prepared. We pack a bag full ;) of possible medicinal needs when traveling out of the country, land or sea. Cipro is included with all the other stomach upset meds. Just being prepared for common ailments is a big relief. We found this out with some pretty bad stuff happening in Mexico. ANd that was at a 5 star resort. Dh travels out of the country frequently and carries a weeks worth of his RX past his expected stay due to a long 4 day delay getting back home on one trip. So with experieince, you just don't take chances.

Cipro really should not be taken unless specifically prescribed. Overuse or under dosing can lead to the formation of drug resistant strains. And it doesn't do anything against viral infections, which there is no easy way to tell without an exam. It's a VERY powerful antibiotic with some significant side effects and a yellow label warning: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000878/#

We have learned to be very defensive and prepared. We pack a bag full ;) of possible medicinal needs when traveling out of the country, land or sea. Cipro is included with all the other stomach upset meds. Just being prepared for common ailments is a big relief. We found this out with some pretty bad stuff happening in Mexico. ANd that was at a 5 star resort. Dh travels out of the country frequently and carries a weeks worth of his RX past his expected stay due to a long 4 day delay getting back home on one trip. So with experieince, you just don't take chances.

We live in a very litigious society (at least in the USA), and it also seems to me that increasingly we are demanding more for less. I am sure that it is tremendously disappointing to conact any kind of virus while on a cruise; however, to take it out on a cruise line that is doing its very best to keep everyone safe strikes me as being into a "revenge" mode. Pretty soon, we'll not only be subjecting ourselves to pat downs at the airport, but we'll have to have a medical examination before embarking on a cruise. Of course, I am exaggerating, but I think you "get my drift." Bad things do happen to good people. And, sometimes, good does come out of bad. Perhaps, cruise lines will tighten up their own hygiene practices, and perhaps passengers will use more common sense and wash their hands, fill in the embarkation form honestly, and stay in their cabins if ill.

I like many am surprised that Princess charges for Noro treatment at the medical center, I had previously thought it was free. We know that there are some ships that have large outbreaks from time to time and it is cruise after cruise...yes it was initially brought on the ship by a passenger or passengers but in many cases the virus is on the ship before the passenger boards. Can this be proved, obviously not but a charge at the medical center is a huge disincentive to report a case of Noro and just allows it to spread. A couple of years ago on the Grand I guess I contracted it...I was a pretty sick puppy for some 8 hrs but by mid-morning I was fine...did I error in not going to the medical center, perhaps I did but I certainly wouldn't rush to it if I am going to be whacked for $100+. It's all well and good to say that you can claim it on your travel insurance but many have deductibles that are greater then that. Liability is one thing, doing what is fair is another.
How do you know it wasn't brough on by a crewmember?

Archived