Alcohol now being destroyed

antsp

Clearly stated? You've got to be kidding. Clearly stated is not buried in a 15 page document which is the only place it states wine must be in your carry on. No excuse for the vodka, but dumping the champagne was uncalled for.

Read post #12 .. it is now printed on the boarding pass.

It is important to note that Vodka, etc (hard liquor) has NEVER been permitted aboard by rule, they just didn't enforce it and they have been pretty clear that was coming. So this is not a new rule, just an enforcement change that puts them in sync with pretty much every line regarding hard liquor.

As far as that goes, I will be interested to hear what happens in ports.

Where things get a little dicey is the champagne. I understand the changes to the contract allow it, but a little flexibility is really called for there given the other language being presented. In terms of complaints, this is where I would focus.

I think it's about time Princess kept their word and enforced their policy. Selling alcoholic beverages on board is one of the three major sources of revenue for a cruise ship. Princess' fares were a bit high because of this lost revenue so everyone was paying to supplement the drinkers. I'll gladly bring a bottle of wine in my carry on and pay the corkage fee next week when I sail on the Sapphire.

Might be premature to ask this, but I wonder if rum runners would make it through since they don't scan? I have used these for the last few trips and going again on Princess this May and November. I will not be happy if this happens, but if it does, we will just deal with it in a positive way! Less drinking, les calories. Still love Princess.....icon12.gif

Might be premature to ask this, but I wonder if rum runners would make it through since they don't scan? I have used these for the last few trips and going again on Princess this May and November. I will not be happy if this happens, but if it does, we will just deal with it in a positive way! Less drinking, les calories. Still love Princess.....icon12.gif
Why do you feel the need to circumvent the policy? Princess will turn it's attention to those looking to break the rules with rum runners too. Princess is a for profit operation and anything that threatens their profit will get dealt with.

Why do you feel the need to circumvent the policy? Princess will turn it's attention to those looking to break the rules with rum runners too. Princess is a for profit operation and anything that threatens their profit will get dealt with.

Princess doesn't have time to open every piece of luggage looking for rum runners. They don't show up in scanned luggage and cruisers on every line have been using them for years.

It is important to note that Vodka, etc (hard liquor) has NEVER been permitted aboard by rule, they just didn't enforce it and they have been pretty clear that was coming. So this is not a new rule, just an enforcement change that puts them in sync with pretty much every line regarding hard liquor. I don't believe their "in sync" when it comes to destroying the hard liquor. Most (all) of the other lines return the liquor at the end of the cruise ... with the exception of Rum Runners. Even NCL, which always was the most strict, does not destroy the liquor smuggled on in bottles, this has to be collected by the passenger at the end of the cruise.

As far as that goes, I will be interested to hear what happens in ports.

Where things get a little dicey is the champagne. I understand the changes to the contract allow it, but a little flexibility is really called for there given the other language being presented. In terms of complaints, this is where I would focus.

What's the deal with champagne. Doesn't Princess consider this wine?:confused:

What's the deal with champagne. Doesn't Princess consider this wine?:confused:

They do, which is why I asked whether the OP had brought additional alcohol in their carry-on, or if it was just the vodka and champagne in the checked luggage. I was curious as to whether this was simply "has to be in carry-on, no exceptions" or if it was a case where there were mutiple bottles in addition to the checked luggage issue.

OP - have you heard from any of your fellow cruisers on how extra bottles of wine and champagne were handled if they were in a carry-on? Did they charge a corkage fee? What was the process to record that the fee was paid/mark the bottles? Thanks.

Sorry your cruise is off to no so good start. Thanks for letting folks know.

We always travel with wine and carry it on, so will be interested in how this plays out. Our next Princess cruise is in September.

As of today you can bring all the wine you want on HAL. If you consume in your stateroom there is no,charge but will have the corkage fee if you take to dining etc... I am a big wine drinker and love their policy. You can also get wine in port to bring to your cabin. We are considering princess in the future just for a change and wish they had the same, but not a deal breaker.

Thanks so much! With the new wine policy, and the fact that HAL sails out of my home port, I will be cruising with them.

We just got back from Hawaii, Sapphire out of San Pedro departing 3/9/13.

I carried on two, 6 bottle rolling wine carriers total of 12 bottles. All 12 were consumed in the main dining room and I bought one bottle to finish out the cruise.

No one batted an eye when I carried them on, and I was charged corkage on the first bottle in the MDR, after that they simply waived it. That surprised me with the pending shift in policy enforcement, but I am confident next time we will pay $15 on all bottles carried on, which is still a great bargain.

It was interesting to note that we printed out luggage tags months before the departure date, other passengers had tags with the new warning, ours did not.

We don't carry alcohol in our checked bags, in the grand scheme of things the savings don't out-weigh the risk of being caught, or having a bottle leak in your bag and ruin your clothes.

Selling alcoholic beverages on board is one of the three major sources of revenue for a cruise ship.
Princess makes plenty of money from me. For every drink I have in the cabin, I buy three or four at the bars. I do not bring liquor on to circumvent buying it on board; I just like to have a drink in my cabin while dressing for dinner or as a nightcap.

Why could they not just return them at the end of the cruise after all they take it away from you if you bring it on boardfrom an excursion and return it on the last night . To throw out booze knowing its costs is a bit much plus i wouldbe so upset ifthey. Went thru my things . I lock my suitcases ...Do they break. The locks??

I think that is outrageous !!!I do not drink so this does not affect me but i can see how others would be furious!!!

I too am surprise about the Champagne being dumped. I guess it was beneficial that I always had my wine in my carry-on. I did not realize it was the policy. I have never tried to bring hard liquor on board. What concerns me is my transatlantic cruise. Two years ago what I did is buy a wine package for my dining. I brought on a bottle of wine at embarkation in Venice for my balcony. Than when it ran out I bought another bottle of wine in France. I was not thru with that bottle of wine by the Azores. I wanted to purchase a port wine in Azores for the sea days. I live near Napa Valley so comparing is fun with the European countries. Princess has made a lot of changes this year. My next cruise I finally after so many years will be Elite. This makes me sad to have to find another cruise line. Before I settle on Princess I tried NCL and Royal C.

Why could they not just return them at the end of the cruise after all they take it away from you if you bring it on boardfrom an excursion and return it on the last night . To throw out booze knowing its costs is a bit much plus i wouldbe so upset ifthey. Went thru my things . I lock my suitcases ...Do they break. The locks??

I think that is outrageous !!!I do not drink so this does not affect me but i can see how others would be furious!!!

Princess is not in the storage business, the warnings have been out for awhile.

All belongings are subject to search during the boarding process for any prohibited items.

If one refuses to have their items searched then they are denied boarding. Simple.

So if one decides to thwart the policy then there is the possibility that they loose. Its the chance one takes.

No different then the TSA going through your luggage, they break locks if necessary.

After the change of policy and the warnings being furious will not help.

As of today you can bring all the wine you want on HAL.

Thanks so much! With the new wine policy, and the fact that HAL sails out of my home port, I will be cruising with them.

To me "as of today" means there are no guarantees that HAL won't change their policy tomorrow to be like Princess. When I book a cruise it's the complete experience that I consider & not any one particular thing. Up until recently the long standing Princess policy for bringing wine on the ship was valid & it could just as easily be changed with HAL.

I book months in advance & Princess still provides me with a cruise I enjoy more than on HAL even if the new Princess policy is enforced.

This new Alcohol policy will make life ridiculous for anyone flying out of a country to board a cruise because you can only buy Duty Free liquor exiting a country not on your return

We often fly out of the UK to stay in a port for several days before a cruise and buy Duty free liquor at Heathrow to enjoy in our hotel etc

If this is now going to be destroyed getting onboard Princess Ships too true there will be major arguments

If they want to keep it till end of the cruise fine but destroying it is grossly unfair all round

Princess is doing what they said they would be doing (and there has been enough notice/warning). Other lines have been doing this for years. Princess is not the first line to do this.

I don't agree with a lot of the changes Princess is making. This is the new Princess.

This new Alcohol policy will make life ridiculous for anyone flying out of a country to board a cruise because you can only buy Duty Free liquor exiting a country not on your return

We often fly out of the UK to stay in a port for several days before a cruise and buy Duty free liquor at Heathrow to enjoy in our hotel etc

If this is now going to be destroyed getting onboard Princess Ships too true there will be major arguments

If they want to keep it till end of the cruise fine but destroying it is grossly unfair all round

I think we're getting ahead of ourselves here. The issue here was that liquor was placed inside a checked bag with intent to drink on the ship. This resulted in its being discarded, per the rules. No one, at least to my knowledge, who has brought liquor and asked -- during security or thereabouts-- for it to be stored until debarkation has been denied and the liquor discarded.

Princess is doing what they said they would be doing (and there has been enough notice/warning). Other lines have been doing this for years. Princess is not the first line to do this.

I don't agree with a lot of the changes Princess is making. This is the new Princess.

What other lines destroy the alcohol? All that I know of return it the last day. NCL (who used to be the strictest) destroys Rum Runners, but allows you to pick up your stuff at the end of the cruise.

Incorrect. There is a fairly inexpensive modification to most X-ray machines that can detect liquids (you might have seen this in use at TSA stations). While I don't know if Princess will, if they choose to make a modest investment they could easily spot them (liquid volume is easy to determine so as to not hit on travel size mouthwash, etc).

It is amazing... how many folks here see themselves as the cruise police. My, my... I do not understand why anyone really cares whether someone brings on alcohol or not... all I really care about is what I do.

Archived