TA said:

Jillbu

So we are booked on Reflection in November 2013. We booked using a certificate from our Timeshare. Our TA is from Platinum Rewards. I have cruised once with Carnival back in 2004 and the other half has never cruised. We have had so much fun reading the forums on CC. To be honest, mostly everything we have read has been basically good and we can't wait. So I called her today to ask about what happens if the price drops since we used a certificate, I mentioned that I had read some info on the forums about price drops. The minute I said " I was reading on CC", she immediately began telling me that only people who had complaints posted here and I should know that and take everything with a grain of salt!!!!!

I began laughing and asked if I should take all the good stuff with a grain of salt too?

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I wonder if all TA's dislike CC....there is a wealth of information here....my TA doesn't like CC either. Sometimes I'll call and say I read this and I read that...get the same thing..."don't believe what you read on CC"....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused:

The minute I said " I was reading on CC", she immediately began telling me that only people who had complaints posted here and I should know that and take everything with a grain of salt!!!!!

Evidently she has not spent much time on here. I think we see far more good than bad.

There are all knids of people in this world some intelligent & some stupid .The problem is "Ya can't fix stupid" :(

Our TA is fglad we are so well informed because we make her job a lot easier .We have booked 20 cruises with a great TA:D

Ask your TA what she can tell you about your particular cabin, or about the specialty restaurants on your cruise and the discount packages they offer, or when you can make reservations for special shows and events, or what bands are on the ship, or what excursions you might want to take in port? Whne your TA doesnt know, then advise them thats why you use cruise critic, and if they dont faniliarize themselves with cruise critic, they are doing their customers a disservice.

CC is an excellent forum for discussing lots of aspects of cruising and more. On The whole it is done pleasantly and constructively, unfortunately some topics (dress codes) that just get people criticising each other as they cannot agree and it degenerates from there. Perhaps the TAs shouldn't read those particular threads.:D

If I were a travel agent (was in the biz back in the pre-Internet dark ages), I'd be reading new posts on this forum every morning before work!

What a fantastic free education! Up to the minute reports and news.

Everybody knows you can't believe everything you read (and not just online), but you can get trends and a lot of helpful input, then make up your own mind.

You'd better believe I read an online forum every morning related to my field. It's a great way to know what customers are thinking about. Finger on the pulse, so to speak.

If I were a travel agent (was in the biz back in the pre-Internet dark ages), I'd be reading new posts on this forum every morning before work!

What a fantastic free education! Up to the minute reports and news.

Everybody knows you can't believe everything you read (and not just online), but you can get trends and a lot of helpful input, then make up your own mind.

You'd better believe I read an online forum every morning related to my field. It's a great way to know what customers are thinking about. Finger on the pulse, so to speak.

So true, it is best to keep up with your market and knowledge is a powerful tool.:D

So we are booked on Reflection in November 2013. We booked using a certificate from our Timeshare. Our TA is from Platinum Rewards. I have cruised once with Carnival back in 2004 and the other half has never cruised. We have had so much fun reading the forums on CC. To be honest, mostly everything we have read has been basically good and we can't wait. So I called her today to ask about what happens if the price drops since we used a certificate, I mentioned that I had read some info on the forums about price drops. The minute I said " I was reading on CC", she immediately began telling me that only people who had complaints posted here and I should know that and take everything with a grain of salt!!!!!

I began laughing and asked if I should take all the good stuff with a grain of salt too?

I might seriously consider finding another TA or doing my own reservations.....a TA should be aware of the VAST amount of knowledge one can garner from this site and RECOMMEND it to their clients, not dis it .... I have learned so much from CC over the years....good and bad...but an informed client is far better than one that knows nothing.....

I might seriously consider finding another TA or doing my own reservations.....a TA should be aware of the VAST amount of knowledge one can garner from this site and RECOMMEND it to their clients, not dis it .... I have learned so much from CC over the years....good and bad...but an informed client is far better than one that knows nothing.....

Agree!

Why so tough on the travel agents? Most do an excellent job.

Perhaps some of the agents dislike C/C because they are not allowed to advertise here. What better place to generate more clients than a sight like this? (BTW - I agree with that policy - these boards would turn into non-stop advertisement).

A good travel agent will have no problem using the words, "I read on Cruise Critic" as another tool in helping them help their client. I am fortunate to have such a cruise agent. Usually, he is aware of what I have seen and has already taken care of it before I call. In those rare instances where it got by him, he checks it out and acts accordingly.

We are actually changing agents because she is unwilling to try to do anything we call about. CC is a wealth of information and when I call her because I have seen something on here she never wants to. During the 123 promo people were saying they were able to get it on an existing reservation if they paid the prevailing rate. The cruise was being offered with the 123 promo at the same rate we paid, I called her and asked if she could call and see if we were eligilble, "they'll say no" she said. I asked her nicely, "please just ask and see what they say". She didn't want to but she did, she called me back and said " I can't believe it, they gave it to you" I said I wasn't surprised and I thanked her for calling, "it never hurts to ask" I said. This is only one of many things that if I hadn't pressed her to at least ask we wouldn't of been able to get. TA's are supposed to work with you to make your vacation a great one. Ours makes it clear she doesn't like CC because she said people are misinformed, I believe she doesn't like it because she doesn't want us to be informed, more work for her.

I think that there is actually very little misinformation here. If something is posted that is incorrect, someone posts with the correction very quickly. Yes, there are posts from folks who have been on ships and are told strange "policies" that aren't, as far as we know, actually policies at all....but they are reporting what happened to them. That's not wrong information....it actually happened, even though perhaps it shouldn't have happened.

Your TA just out of touch with Cruise Critic and it's value. Trust me, the information you get here is far more accurate than what you get from your TA.

I think that there is actually very little misinformation here. If something is posted that is incorrect, someone posts with the correction very quickly. Yes, there are posts from folks who have been on ships and are told strange "policies" that aren't, as far as we know, actually policies at all....but they are reporting what happened to them. That's not wrong information....it actually happened, even though perhaps it shouldn't have happened.

Your TA just out of touch with Cruise Critic and it's value. Trust me, the information you get here is far more accurate than what you get from your TA.

agree

Why so tough on the travel agents? Most do an excellent job.

Perhaps some of the agents dislike C/C because they are not allowed to advertise here. What better place to generate more clients than a sight like this? (BTW - I agree with that policy - these boards would turn into non-stop advertisement).

A good travel agent will have no problem using the words, "I read on Cruise Critic" as another tool in helping them help their client. I am fortunate to have such a cruise agent. Usually, he is aware of what I have seen and has already taken care of it before I call. In those rare instances where it got by him, he checks it out and acts accordingly.

Sounds like my TA.

While I'll agree that misinformation is usually corrected by other posters I can't agree that there is very little of it. There are many people that just simply "get it wrong", not about cruising but about many things in life. Invariably you can find someone asking a question and you'll see the exact opposite answers, sometimes without a consensus as to what is right. Frequently people pick the answer they like.

I do agree also that many times people do have experiences on board that vary from the posted policies. This further confuses situations.

As an avid researcher of stuff, the more info the better and a relatively intelligent person ( perhaps not when I try the 1,2,3, DRUNK! Program) I find these forums to be a wealth of info and was just surprised she was so quick to be negative. If you put all the stuff you learn together, good, bad, misinformed, over- informed and use some level of common sense I have found I get a pretty good whole picture.

I think some TA do not like "cruise" educated customers, because they know more than TA. Also, every time, we ask to revise our pricing, it decrease their commissions. I like my TA a lot, but I do all research and I watch pricing and when I need to make any change to my booking, I have no problems.

I do book 3-4 cruises at the time and I recommend her to my friends - win- win.

The TA comments remind me of friends who do on-line research and preview advertised prescriptions for what they perceive as their health problem. Then visit the doctor and spend too much of the office visit telling thedoctor what they know.

The TA may prefer the customer ask about bookings; then state concerns without spending time chatting about all they know from time spent on CC msg boards.

Just the facts, just the facts. The TA might want free timeto read the CC msg boards rather than spend time rehashing with customers.

You may want a different travel agent.

jls

The TA comments remind me of friends who do on-line research and preview advertised prescriptions for what they perceive as their health problem. Then visit the doctor and spend too much of the office visit telling thedoctor what they know.

The TA may prefer the customer ask about bookings; then state concerns without spending time chatting about all they know from time spent on CC msg boards.

Just the facts, just the facts. The TA might want free timeto read the CC msg boards rather than spend time rehashing with customers.

You may want a different travel agent.

jls

Good point, My TA knows what they need to know and we only discuss what they can provide and what I want. Very professional.:D

I worked very briefly as a TA and just hated it. One of the things that drove me nuts was that the two owners wanted nothing to do with CC or tripadvisor. They hated that clients would refuse choices they made based on what was posted on either site. I haven't cruised a great deal (yet!), but my experience has been that CC has been shockingly accurate.

Archived