Where is Sue Denning

sailnjmom49

We believe she's a great CD and although I believe her singing voice has passed its prime, she is no doubt the best CD we've been on a ship with. We felt the overall entertainment (headliners, etc.) were the best we'd had on a Celebrity cruise (March this year) and we were led to believe it has a lot to do with the cruise director, who she gets, etc. etc. She did seem to talk to everyone and she was very visible on the ship and we kept wondering if she even slept at all.

As for Perry, we took a total pass - not our cup of tea. I don't think there's a middle ground on him.

I have never been one who really cares about Cruise Directors. I couldn't even tell you who any of them have been on any of my cruises. But Sue Denning is whole different ball game. She was CD on our Summit cruise last year, and my partner and I got the biggest kick out of her. She was all over the ship, all the time, engaging in conversation with everyone. She is one of the most personable staff members we have ever sailed with. She was so genuine and showed a real love for the job. She took a wonderful cruise experience and really elevated it for us. My partner and I would hang out in the Martini Bar during the evenings and wait for her to make her grand entrance, sometimes making a couple of different outfit changes over the course of the night. Yes, her one-woman show is a little cheesy, but it completely suits her fun, outgoing personality. We really hope to run across her again one of these days. How anyone can say she's egotistical and fake is beyond my comprehension. I work in hotel management, and she is the kind of employee we can only hope to have in our business. She shows a true enthusiasm for what she does and we will never forget that cruise because of her.

Michael

Well I don´t really care who is the crusie director as long as his voice does not drive one grazy everytime it get´s on " Air"! I had a wonderful Lady ( I sadly forgot her name) once , but that was with RCI on board Brilliance of the Seas during a Transatlantic. During the voyage we had Memorial Services for the Sept. 11 Tragedy a year before. Not an easy task for her to lead the Memorial Service held in the Theater- and that Memorial Service I will never, ever forget and that´s thanks to her wonderful way to lead through the service! Very touching indeed!

We believe she's a great CD and although I believe her singing voice has passed its prime, she is no doubt the best CD we've been on a ship with. We felt the overall entertainment (headliners, etc.) were the best we'd had on a Celebrity cruise (March this year) and we were led to believe it has a lot to do with the cruise director, who she gets, etc. etc. She did seem to talk to everyone and she was very visible on the ship and we kept wondering if she even slept at all.

As for Perry, we took a total pass - not our cup of tea. I don't think there's a middle ground on him.

I did ask her that one time. Her response was--not much!

We know this isn't a review the cruise director thread, but... For those you can't take Sue(many cruises for us with her), might we suggest, show up to the shows a little late and leave a little early. Also, miss the nights that she performs. As CD we love her as a performer not so much. And we didn't even bring up Perry... oops, yes we did.

That's the CD's job to make those announcements. And to show up at events. If you cruise more, you'll hear the other CDs making the announcements and see them showing up at events as well.

In my view, Sue is one of the best CDs that Celebrity has.

If that's what the rest of them are like I would suggest celebrity change their strap line from modern luxury too 70s/80s butlins holiday camp... And they should all wear Red Coats!!!

I might have only done a couple of cruises but found the entertainment team on our first celebrity cruise to be 100% better in every department then that on the eclipse...

We had Sue as our CD on a recent cruise and could not have been less impressed. Her ego was massive, and her 'show' was like something you'd see on Saturday Night Live. It's nice that there is something for everyone on Celebrity, and we'll happily leave Sue for others.

Looks like this is a very minority opinion:rolleyes:

Hi Everyone,

Hard to imagine a very few being ungracious towards Ms. Denning, but I suppose Cruise Directors are like cuisine and other performers, in that we will never have total agreement in what we like and dislike.

We believe that Sue is one of Celebrity's very best Cruise Directors, as she has a wonderful personality, is always visible around the ship - and at all hours. I've seen her a number of times, well after midnight and in the early morning hours. I'm convinced Ms Denning never sleeps <LOL>, and gives it her all for Celebrity's Guests. We also feel that Sue is a wonderful entertainer. IMO, she's the total package, and should be the model for what Celebrity looks for in Cruise Directors.

We hope Sue will be on our Eclipse sailing in November.

Hi Everyone,

Hard to imagine a very few being ungracious towards Ms. Denning, but I suppose Cruise Directors are like cuisine and other performers, in that we will never have total agreement in what we like and dislike.

We believe that Sue is one of Celebrity's very best Cruise Directors, as she has a wonderful personality, is always visible around the ship - and at all hours. I've seen her a number of times, well after midnight and in the early morning hours. I'm convinced Ms Denning never sleeps <LOL>, and gives it her all for Celebrity's Guests. We also feel that Sue is a wonderful entertainer. IMO, she's the total package, and should be the model for what Celebrity looks for in Cruise Directors.

We hope Sue will be on our Eclipse sailing in November.

We are frequent Celebrity cruises and mostly just readers on this site and we almost never focus on a cruise director. I probably could not name another other than Sue Denning. We were on the Constellation TA and Baltic a few years ago and Sue was the cruise director.

We will never forget her. She was kind, funny, talented and a treat on the TA. I learned how to tie a scarf in at least 100 ways from a afternoon spent with Sue and another 200 cruisers. We are on the Eclipse at New Years and hope she is still on the ship.

Either way we will have a good cruise but Sue's presence will make it better.

Thank you.

I'm one of those who's cruise experience is neither enhanced nor lessened by the Cruise Director. However, Sue Denning is the exception. I loved her energy, her passion, and her talent. And I also believe she is genuine. I have only sailed with her once, and wish she'd be one of my future cruises.

We had the pleasure of sailing with Sue back when she was CD with Azamara in 2008 then sailed with her again in '09 and on the Constellation in '11 and have always thought she was very personable, energetic and we feel she is, by far, one of the best CD's with Celebrity today .

I'm one of those who's cruise experience is neither enhanced nor lessened by the Cruise Director. However, Sue Denning is the exception. I loved her energy, her passion, and her talent. And I also believe she is genuine. I have only sailed with her once, and wish she'd be one of my future cruises.

Agree. Sue was the CD on my first cruise, on the Century. Loved her, what a hoot. I was disappointed that we just missed her on the Eclipse this summer. She is the only CD that made an impression or whose name I can recall. She added an element of fun every day.

I asked a CD one time on why some CD's have their own acts and others don't. I was told that they are paid extra to do that. They have to present their act to the cruise line and get accepted just like any other guest performer. It they use members from the band they have to recruit and pay them for the extra duty. Just because they do a show doesn't make them any better than those that don't. They are getting paid extra.

I am of the opinion of a lot of the other posters. Over rated. More into herself than the interest of the passengers. I also found that she helps to spread a false urban legend. The song "American Pie" is not for the name of the plane that Buddy Holly died on from a crash. Unlike boats private planes do not have names.

.:D

• 3 months later...

I'm reviving this old thread.

We're on the February 8th sailing of the Eclipse and rumor has it that Sue will be our CD.

We're trying to plan some activities for our roll call and don't want to conflict with the Connections Party.

Our cruise has 2 sea days right at the beginning and as far as I know it's up to the CD to determine which of those 2 days has the Connections Party.

For anyone that has sailed with Sue - does she seem to prefer the first sea day or the 2nd?

I know nothing is sealed in stone but hopefully past history will give an indication.

Thanks

On our Southern Caribbean on Eclipse in March 2013, I'm almost certain it was at 11am on the 1st sea day.

I remember Sue pleading that anyone who wanted to complain, that they did it through her( ie we were a cruise CRITIC group)

We also had a gift exchange, which she said she hadn't come across before!

Hi,

I am interested in knowing where Sue Denning these days. I my opinion on of the best Cruise Director.

sailnjmom49

We were with her on the TA in Oct. & she told us she would be home for the holidays. She was not sure at that time what ship she would come back to.

Sue was our CD and superb. She was going home for the holidays on December 1 and hoped to return mid-February, but did not have a final contract. CC get together was on the first sea day at 10:30 or 11. Arranged for a second on the last sea day. Many senior officers including the master (Dimitrios Manetas) attended both. There will be a new master in mid-January. It was the most positive, engaged management team we have seen. Wish we were going with you.

I'm reviving this old thread.

We're on the February 8th sailing of the Eclipse and rumor has it that Sue will be our CD.

We're trying to plan some activities for our roll call and don't want to conflict with the Connections Party.

Our cruise has 2 sea days right at the beginning and as far as I know it's up to the CD to determine which of those 2 days has the Connections Party.

For anyone that has sailed with Sue - does she seem to prefer the first sea day or the 2nd?

I know nothing is sealed in stone but hopefully past history will give an indication.

Thanks

Hi Chamima,

On the November 16th Eclipse sailing, the Meet & Mingle was held on the First Sea Day. Our Meet & Mingle had such a huge turn out, that I asked Sue if there was a possibility of a second Meet & Mingle, which she graciously arranged. I agree that Sue is one of Celebrity's best, and hope she will be onboard for your sailing. Last I heard, she's due back around the time of your cruise, but schedules can always change.

Have a wonderful Cruise, and Happy New Year !

Edited by Host Andy