Rome In Limo - Continuation of Previous Thread, Community Guidelines Apply

palermo22

We have booked RomeInLimo for all three of our Italy stops - and everything I have read about them has been top-notch. They have suggested that we use a private guide on our tour of the Vatican at a cost of 150 Euros. Just wondering if anyone has used the private guide provided/suggested by RomeInLimo and either glad they did or thought it was a waste of money. Perhaps others have used private guides through other tour services as well - perhaps they can comment on this question as well.

We have booked RomeInLimo for all three of our Italy stops - and everything I have read about them has been top-notch. They have suggested that we use a private guide on our tour of the Vatican at a cost of 150 Euros. Just wondering if anyone has used the private guide provided/suggested by RomeInLimo and either glad they did or thought it was a waste of money. Perhaps others have used private guides through other tour services as well - perhaps they can comment on this question as well.

We used one through RIL. Our driver drove up, she ran over to the car, took our vouchers while we waited at the car, then we walked over and entered. From the beginning to then end she was delightful and knowledgeable. My mother is very hard of hearing and has had a broken neck. She was nervous of all the people but the guide solved the problem. She held my mother's arm for protection and that way could talk directly into her ear so she could hear everything. These guides are required to take classes from the Vatican to make sure they really know what they are talking about. She followed us to the end when she called our driver to pick us up. Money well spent.

• Like 2

If you read the long thread about Rome in Limo, you will find MANY very positive comments about the value of a guide in the Vatican. EXTREMELY worth while.

I will admit someone will come along here shortly and slap me, and anyone else who recommends a guide, but for us it was 150 euros well spent.

We used Romeinlimo for the Vatican and Pompeii and had private guides in both. Was well worth the cost split amongst our groups. Especially in the Vatican. Larry

• Like 1

If you read the long thread about Rome in Limo, you will find MANY very positive comments about the value of a guide in the Vatican. EXTREMELY worth while.

I will admit someone will come along here shortly and slap me, and anyone else who recommends a guide, but for us it was 150 euros well spent.

I don't think folks regularly "slap" people who recommend using a guide. A guide can be great for those who really enjoy a guided tour and who have little or no interest in doing the necessary research in advance.

I only take issue when people will say having a guide is the ONLY way one can have a meaningful visit to the Vatican, or say that you can't see/learn half as much without one.

We have used this service on several occasions. If it's your first time visiting these sites, I would say that it's totally worth the money. We ended up sharing one guide between many of us, and that cut down on the cost and was really quite reasonable for what you learn.

I think a private guide really brings the Vatican, and the art inside to life. While it's certainly doable to to the Vatican museum on your own, there is nothing like the ease of a guide. It's crowded, it's not really easy to know what you are looking at. Our guide was able to tell us about so much of what was inside the museum and how it came to be there. It was very interesting. It wasn't like walking through your average museum.

Good luck! Have a great time.

We've used RIL many times and have always had a great tour. We used a private guide when we did the Vatican. In keeping with the Catholic religion our tour guides name was Mary. She was terrific and had a god sense of humor. Saw much more than if we toured by ourselves and learned even more. I will definitley do that tour again. Have a super time.

• Like 1

We had Sarah as a tour guide and she was wonderful. If I remember correctly, she was an Art and History major, so she was able to bring everything to life for us. I found that, even though I had read up on the history of the place, it immediately flew out of my head as I walked through the doors.

For me, it was nice to have her there!

Shelly:)

• 2 years later...

:cool:All transportation in italy (other than trains) is expensive. I used Romeinlimo this past fall for trans to and from rome to port. In addition, they met us (6) in Naples and we took an 8 hour tour to the Amalfi Coast, including Positano where we are returning this September. Vans we clean, drivers great and informative. Enrico, driver from Naples was highlight of cruise.

Going back to Italy. Have them picking us up at Naples Train, going to Positano and back, with 8 hour day trip around Amalfil Coast. I trust them completely, and have no problem paying their rates. Drivers speak English and are very informative:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

We are using RIL for Rome but not sure if we should use them for the Vatican tour or take the tour of the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel offered by the Vatican itself. Tickets are E32 compared to E20 for skip the line tickets and E150 for the RIL guide. Would appreciate feedback.

We are using RIL for Rome but not sure if we should use them for the Vatican tour or take the tour of the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel offered by the Vatican itself. Tickets are E32 compared to E20 for skip the line tickets and E150 for the RIL guide. Would appreciate feedback.

I cannot speak to the Vatican-sponsored tour, but I can for RIL.

We had a Rome tour with them and opted for their guide at the added cost. It was so convenient to have this arranged in conjunction with our tour for the sake of time, transportation, small group size, etc.

Our guide, Sarah, was absolutely fantastic! The commentary was great. She was able to take some short cuts throughy the museum (it was jammed from wall to wall) and was cognizant of the needs within our group.

If i were to do it again, I would look for the "before hours" tours. We went in July, midday and it was so very uncomfortable due to crowd overload and competeing noise from various tour groups (some of them were quite large). Not enjoyable for viewing artifacts or for those who are claustrophibic.

Edited by sippican

We too questioned the need for a guide at the Vatican. In the end we opted to do it (split between a group of 6 it wasn't bad). We are so glad we did. The Vatican was very crowded (the most crowded place we visited). We would never have been able to navigate it and see half as much without the help of our guide. She was wonderful.

• 6 months later...

It just seemed, after almost 120+ pages, it was time for a fresh new thread on an often asked about company.

Please continue to keep in mind our community guidelines when you *thoughtfully* reply to a post - kindly limit your response to YOUR experience or, your specific question/needs. We aren't ever all going to agree on things all the time but we are all expected to respect and be kind to one another all the time.

So, for all intents and purposes, consider this post to contain the following question: "Anyone have any recent, personal experiences with RomeinLimo"?

What's recent? The last 18 months sounds fair. Thank you! (LS)

Please note, the previous threads/posts may still be viewed - it is only closed to new posts; hence this "continuation" thread but without voluminous pages to click through.

Thank you.

Please Note: This thread is NOT an endorsement of Rome In Limo by Cruise Critic, its employees, affiliates or volunteer moderators. It is only intended to serve as the *replacement* of a thread originally created by a member seeking advice. That thread had become way too long - it was time to start fresh. Again, this thread is NOT an endorsement or recommendation of Rome In Limo - it is a thread to exchange information about your fairly *recent* RIL experience or any plans you might be making for future visits.

Edited by LauraS
added more information about how this thread is to be used,.

Glad to see Rome in Limo is so popular, they can't a new thread.

I have used them on 2 cruises ( 8 tours in all) and I would not think of going to Italy without contacted them.

they are the best. Before, during and after.

I have used romeinlimo twice now. They are prompt, have clean new vehicles, and courteous and knowledgable drivers. I have used them from airport to port and back, from train station in Naples to positano, and for day trips around the Amalfi coast. Large or small parties are welcomed. Enrico for Amalfi area is fantastic. I will use them again

We've used RIL several times. The last time was a wonderful tour of Rome. So much better taking a car instead of a bus from a cruise ship. Lot easier loading and unloading 6-8 people instead of 40 off the bus and parking is so much closer and easier. Our last tour was one of the best we have ever done. Seeing the Vatican and all the historical features of it was a thrill. Then the Colliseum, the fountains and several other spots. Our tour guide was very friendly and knowledgable. RIL is very easy to get in contact with and you get quick responses. We will use them every time we go to Italy.

Booked 3 private tours, Florence, Rome and the Vatican with Rome in Limo and couldn't be more happy with the services provided by all three guides.

We spent a very pleasant, enjoyable day with Maria Clara. She was full of information and history about Pisa, Florence and the surrounding Tuscany countryside. She made sure that we had plenty of time to walk around Pisa and take pictures. We then headed to Florence, stopping to taste delicious Chianti grapes on the vines in a field and visiting a lovely little store "Vendita Olio E Vino" across the street that sold wine and olive oil that the owner's made themselves. We enjoyed sampling wine, bread and olive oil there. When were arrived in Florence, Maria Clara took us to a spot that overlooked Florence. The views were breathtaking! We then proceeded to the Accademia to see Michaelangelo's David. After spending plenty of time in the Accademia, Maria Clara took us to city centre, giving us plenty of time to walk down lovely streets, visiting sites that she recommended, shopping at the leather market and sampling the best gelato,

We loved Maurizio in Rome. He was amazing and knew all the shortcuts, enabling us to see and experience so many ancient sites that we never thought we would see in person. Maurizio took our party of eight to a lovely restaurant called "il Pomodorino" for lunch. We had a delicious meal with wine/beer, Italian coffee and Lemoncello from the owner's homemade private stock...magnifico!

Kate, our private quite for the Vatican City, was amazing and very knowledgeable. She got us in quickly and made sure we had the opportunity to see many of the treasures of the Vatican, St. Peter's Baslica, Sistine Chapel, Vatican Museum, and the statue of La Pieta.

Last but not least...thank you Jany for your patience with my email questions, your efficiency in answering and for arranging these fabulous tours with amazing people as guides!!

We have used RIL 2 or 3 times...they are GREAT!!! I have also thought to just come into Rome & stay for some time. I'd recommend though if you are coming by cruise ship to meet your group on board & come out together saves time hunting for everyone. I would never go with others--I'd be most happy to use RIL...their people AND Jany are great--Jany I think never sleeps--she is right on to everything. All their drivers & guides are very well versed on everything & are just top notch. No need to ever worry.:D

We have used RIL the two times we cruised in Italy. I can't begin to tell you how terrific they are to deal with. From the moment you send an inquiry until the time they take you back to the ship, or in our case to the airport, they are professional and so dependable.

The drivers/tour guides are absolutely the most knowledgeable and professional I have ever dealt with.

Kudos to Jany, who I must have driven crazy with 50 million questions and requests on our September trip. She always answered, almost as soon as you sent your email.

Definitely don't use another tour company on your Italian holiday.

Our last trip to Italy both cruise and post cruise was fabulous, and Rome in Limo made it happen. We booked with Jany for day tours in Florence, Positano, Rome, Assisi, countryside, Pisa, and every day was perfect. We customized and were able to see so much more than big group tours, it's impossible to explain until you experience them for yourself. The reason we booked with Rome in Limo was because we have used them for as long as they have been in business, and their professionalism, customer service and attention to detail is exactly what we want and need when traveling, and has been consistent for all these years. We also have been with Rome in Limo in Sicily. That was also a great day trip. Even in Rome, our latest trip was a new adventure because Rome in Limo made sure we saw so many new aspects of Rome than our previous tour 2 years before. We are booked for 'Roots Tours' on our upcoming trip and will post about that soon.

This make sense, that thread was really long.

I would LOVE to hear from those who have used this company lately.

Tell me more about your day in Rome out of Civitavechia, Amalfi coast out of Salerno and Florence out of Livorno, I am planing a cruise to Italy next year and need your help.

Do you recommend a private guide for the Vatican and Herculaneum?

This is not my first cruise but have never used a private tour company in the past, just getting little old for those trains :)

Thank you in advance for all your help and recommendations.