why do so many seem so greedy? Not Every benefit will be of value to Every cruiser

cruisegirl1

I am not a Celebrity cheerleader and have only handful of Celebrity cruises. I am in the bottom of the Elite category, but have combined over 65 cruises on other lines. I only state this stat as I am not a cruise newbie and am a seasoned traveler.

I am overwhelmed by the greediness of so many posters on CC. How much more do you think the company needs to provide?

The Capitan's Club is FREE (I know there was a small fee in the beginning but I believe anyone who paid for membership has been reimbursed by Celebrity in some sort of way). Further, the number of cruises to reach certain levels was not that high ( for us it was only 4 cruises to reach Elite).

Not EVERY benefit will be of value to EVERY cruiser

The company is giving lots of benefits to cruisers (Celebrity, Azamara and RCCL) already yet it is not enough. Many are complaining that they won't want have a high enough status on reciprocity. As a RCCL D+( near to pinnacle) I am happy to get the Elite benefit.

Some are complaining that they will now qualify for complementary coffee, but they don't drink coffee. (So don't drink the coffee). Some are complaining that the venue to get free coffee will be too crowded, Hmmm - let me see, .....the free specialty coffee on the luxury cruise line will be too long. Seems like a First World problem to me.

Some complain that they don't like the venue where a FREE drink is offered. (so give up the free drink and use a venue you prefer)

I recall a thread that the FREE tote bags were not "nice enough" My thoughts - if you don't like the FREE bag, don't use it.

Honestly, I wonder what the Celebrity suits are thinking if they read CC posts. They can't win. They offer some terrific perks, yet it fosters more complaints.

Thanks for the rant

M

I am overwhelmed by the greediness of so many posters on CC. How much more do you think the company needs to provide?

M

I don’t think it is about greed as much as it is about status. The majority of the posters seem enamored by the status they believe is achieved by taking a lot of cruises and now a lot of them do not feel like top dogs. I think Celebrity has a terrific product and that is why I booked with them. I don’t know anything about their Captain’s club other than what I read here.

I'm with you. None of the Select perks appeal to me and only a few of the Elite, which I will be after my next cruise, but the perks are not why I cruise. I don't understand why people get so upset about not getting free stuff or complaining about the free stuff they get. I look at any free perks as being something I didn't have before.

Funny story about the tote bags. A few months before a cruise, I was in Nordstroms and a friend suggest I purchase this great tote bag, because it folded up nice. Well, I did purchase it and it was around $200 or $300 and it was the same bag we get on Celebrity, with the exception of the handles were leather and the material was a little nicer. When I went back to Minneapolis a few years later, I carried the Celebrity tote and my friend said she was glad I found use for the one I purchased. When I told her it was free from Celebrity, she was amazed because if she didn't look really close she could not tell the difference.

I think that it just a sign of the world in which we live today. Kind of sad.

Hi Cruisingator2,

For the most part, I agree. Everywhere I visit on the 'net, the vast majority of folks tend to gripe about any given product, and accolades are far and few between.

As I've said on here for many years, Celebrity is not obligated to be so generous with their Captains Club amenities, and they certainly were not obligated to make the recent additions. I often wonder if folks take into consideration, just how much the recent rollout must be costing Celebrity. It must be HUGE amounts of $$$. It would be ideal if the small percentage of complainers would go easier on Celebrity, and appreciate what they've done for us. I totally appreciate Celebrity's efforts and generousity. To me, while the benefits are most welcome, they are icing on the cake, of an outstanding Celebrity product.

On the other hand, I think a good discussion is generally a good thing. I have zero doubt that Celebrity reads what is said on here, and many good ideas have been implemented on Celebrity ships, from comments I've posted, and from many of our members.

I'd like to say a very special thank you to Celebrity for the 2 new levels, and for everything offered to Captains Club members. IMO, the new benefits escalate them well above and beyond their competition.

Edited by Host Andy

Cruisegirl, I will agree with everything you say! And it IS sad. We first sailed Celebrity at the Select level, which entitled us to a $20 bag of laundry and free pressing for 2 clothing items and one or two other miscellaneous goodies. Nothing much compared to what the Elites were entitled to. And you know what? We had a wonderful time on that cruise. Did the lack of benefits diminish our enjoyment? NOOOOO. I look at benefits as icing on the cake. All these people who have complained about the new loyalty scheme and how they feel cheated--hey? what about cruising with Celebrity because you like the cruise. Anything that comes your way because of your loyalty level is an extra thing; it's not THE thing.

Excellent post!!! We cruise on Celebrity because we like their itineraries, ships, smoking policy, service and overall experience. As D+ members in RCCL we have enjoyed Elite status since our first cruise with them. The great thing is that now Celebrity is our favorite cruise line. I'm looking forward to many cruises with Celebrity. I appreciate Royal's and Celebrity's loyalty programs, but to us is not about free drinks in the Michael's Club, although I love the free internet and laundry. :):)

The "entitlement factor"....you hear it waiting in line, at the buffet, at the shows...there is no age or gender discrimination. I am Elite, not because I tried, but because I enjoy cruising and I like the Celebrity product. I just booked a cruise and I am able to take advantage of a couple of loyalty offers, I do not feel entitled to them, rather, I am glad they exist and I have enough credits to take advantage of them. For me, travel is a luxury...not taken for granted. I am so fortunate to be able to do it and I am thankful for any help I can get to make it possible.

DH and I kinda like where we are in the mix of things...we do not care if there are vouchers or a lounge. We don't care if we earn points towards greater rewards....we just want to have a good time in the short time we have on this earth.

I also had no idea we were near Elite when it happened, and what a nice surprise it was.

I think that the benefits cover a wide range of people - those that are interested in drinking booze, drinking coffee, computer users, gamblers, etc., etc...and who doesn't like getting some clean clothes halfway through a cruise? Sure helps with how much you have to pack.

I don't see the point of "looking a gift horse in the mouth", either.

It reminds me of the concierge class threads - don't like the sparkling wine, don't like the hors d'oeuvres, don't like this, don't like that...it's funny how now that everyone has something new to complain about that has taken a back burner.

I think people have forgotten to enjoy life as it is. The "what's in it for me?" type of thinking has gotten out of control. I was one who thanked Celebrity for the new Captains Club.

I'll start with something really small....

the 2 chocolates on the pillow at night. These are just given without any accumulated status. Not much? If there are 2800+ passengers on the ship, that is 5600 chocolates/night. On a 10 day cruise it is 56,000! Where do they even store all this and more important, what does it cost? It's another little Celebrity touch out of many that keeps us coming back. Thank you Celebrity for providing us with great cruises.

It reminds me of the concierge class threads - don't like the sparkling wine, don't like the hors d'oeuvres, don't like this, don't like that...it's funny how now that everyone has something new to complain about that has taken a back burner.

I know what you mean! How about those people who don't like to dress up for formal nights! :D

...yes, we are the lowly elites and had Aqua class accommodations, and enjoyed most all of the benefits. Funny, though, we never received those tote bags...not even the Aqua class mesh bag (though we did receive the contents of what would have been in the bag). And chocolates maybe half the time...and the ice bucket only showed up the 4th day. But I digress. We enjoyed Blu immensely and service most everywhere on board. 'Til the next one...

So happy to see this post. As someone who cruises every other year and just finished first one on Celebrity it did my heart good to know there are others who just appreciate a wonderful cruise without any "perks" The "perk" of just getting to go on a cruise is enough for me. We did like Celebrity so much we booked a two week British Isle cruise for next August. Happy sailing to all and thank you to all the seasoned cruisers here on cruise critic who have been so helpful.

There are two perks that I really appreciate: having a free cocktail before dinner and free internet minutes. Those are things that I would pay for if I did not get the perks from the loyalty program, so to me, they represent money in my pocket and I am extremely grateful to RCCL for them.

I like the free laundry coupons, but I can also pack enough to hold us for a 15 night cruise without having to send out laundry. I've never paid for laundry even as I was accumulating cruise credits.

I don't know what all the complaints are about, either. I'm just happy that the new system did not take away my loyalty status and that, amazingly, it works through the three lines of RCCL.

It's really nice to know that on my next cruise, my first Azamara cruise, I will be at a fairly high level in their loyalty club and will enjoy some nice benefits. The cocktails are included in their price, but the internet minutes are a definite benefit.

There are two perks that I really appreciate: having a free cocktail before dinner and free internet minutes. Those are things that I would pay for if I did not get the perks from the loyalty program, so to me, they represent money in my pocket and I am extremely grateful to RCCL for them.

I like the free laundry coupons, but I can also pack enough to hold us for a 15 night cruise without having to send out laundry. I've never paid for laundry even as I was accumulating cruise credits.

I don't know what all the complaints are about, either. I'm just happy that the new system did not take away my loyalty status and that, amazingly, it works through the three lines of RCCL.

It's really nice to know that on my next cruise, my first Azamara cruise, I will be at a fairly high level in their loyalty club and will enjoy some nice benefits. The cocktails are included in their price, but the internet minutes are a definite benefit.

I think the difference is, as you said, you would buy the cocktails and internet time if not provided as a benefit, I would guess many of those that have complained wouldn't....they only want it when it is free.

Thank you Cruisegirl1 for a well thought out post.

I too wonder just what it is that some want/expect/need from a cruise and have come to the conclusion that Celebrity nor in truth any cruise line just can't be every thing, to every one, every time.

It isn't the perks that keep us coming back, but rather the Celebrity cruise experience. I really doubt you'll ever hear us complain about a perk as we consider that just to be the icing on the cake, not something we paid for and deserve.

Each time we cruise, I throw out about 1/3 of the coupons before the ship leaves port....we don't use them. I throw out another 1/3 at the end of the cruise because we didn't use them. I would be glad to give them to someone who is upset that they aren't getting perks...in fact I thought that maybe there should be a trading post somewhere on board for folks to trade coupons.

My hope was that the new program would create someplace for those with "more" cruises to gather for quiet drinks (or better drinks). I guess my wish for a new program was answered, but "more" was defined as out of reach, even though we have over 1000 new points. As it is, the new program really does very little to address some of the hopes of those who waited patiently. Yes, elite + was created, but the perks are not all that exciting to us (we never used 180 internet minutes so more isn't a big deal, etc.). I am not sure that being elite+ is really anything more than a label on my plastic room card. Not that I'm complaining...I'll take anything that's free :) ... but I really wonder about those who are so bent out of shape that they aren't elite +. Tell you what, leave me the extra laundry coupon and I'll give you most of the other elite+ unique coupons.

I keep going back to the first official posts on the new program...."we listened". I still wonder who they listened to....

Edited by ghstudio

ghstudio, what perks would you have liked Elite+ to contain. I had said on another thread that people should voice their opinion on what they feel should be included, as long as they are not unrealistic. Celebrity reads this board, so, who knows, they might get an idea or two on here and make some changes.

I think, in addition to what they have, they could have added a dinner in a specialty restaurant (or a 2 for 1 deal) or a shore excursion up to a certain amount.

Edited by NLH Arizona

ghstudio, what perks would you have liked Elite+ to contain. I had said on another thread that people should voice their opinion on what they feel should be included, as long as they are not unrealistic. Celebrity reads this board, so, who knows, they might get an idea or two on here and make some changes.

I think, in addition to what they have, they could have added a dinner in a specialty restaurant (or a 2 for 1 deal) or a shore excursion up to a certain amount.

The easiest change would be elites can get up to $8 drinks and elite+ would be allowed up to $12 drinks...or coupons good at any time. That would have been so simple with relatively little real increased expense... The specialty restaurant discount is almost insulting since most all of us find those restaurants have bigger discounts offered already. The Internet time was a good plus, although we don't need more...added cost to celebrity is zero. Discount on drink packages is very little lost revenue...and if 1-2-3 is the new norm, who cares.

I'm not complaining...anything free is welcome....but you asked.