The "Britishness" of P&O?

travelaroundworld

Interesting comments. I too feel that much of P&Os entertainment is still aimed at a generation older than me. To put this in context, I am 66.

As regards sailaways, when I started sailing with P&O in the early 1990s these were limited to Southampton departures, with a band on the quayside and paper streamers, and at the occasional picturesque port, when complementary canapés would be served on deck. The present type of sailaway seems to have mainly arisen in the last 5 years or so, and with one clear purpose; to get you to spend more money in the deck bars. Like everything else nowadays, it is all about maximising onboard revenue.

On the other hand you are on the ship for enjoyment and people who attend the sailaways clearly enjoy them. The Ents staff put in a great deal of effort in what they do. This is not to the liking of all, and a good job as there would be nowhere to stand or sit.

But this is the the same for every activity on any ship. They put on a variety of activities to suit all tastes. And yes they tend to be aimed at an older age group. Because those are the people on the ship. They would be doing their jobs very badly if they did not cater for the the cruisers they had.

Once again we have many posts laced with cynicism.

I do not like line dancing, even when I could walk I did not like line dancing. That does not mean I say it should not be there.

I honestly do not know which planet some people are on. (That's not all aimed at Denarius, BTW)

Edited by daiB

I agree with some of the comments, whilst on holiday they seem to forget that many passengers (on notably P&O) are not all retired. The Sailaways are so tacky and I really don't understand the need. Oh yes revenue for bar sales.. Although blatantly all entertainment is aimed at the higher age bracket to be polite about it..I mean indoor bowls on a mat and whist?? Really? Its a flash back to my Grandmothers afternoon Sunday club. I personally wont be going on them for a long time (or until Im old enough). Still when I was last on Oriana she was a third empty so clearly not just me feels this way..but as they say each to their own.

I get a free glass of Champers! :p

Well I have had a long think and the britishness of P&O is because the vast majority of passengers are british. simple really;)

Entertainments are laid on to reflect the tastes of the passengers, however I think P&O passengers don't reflect the average brit. I think they have a tendency to behave and have opinions of someone older than their physical age. This might explain why, although the average passenger age is say 64, entertainment tends to be somewhat skewed toward people older than that.

For an example Arcadia this summer in the Baltic had entertainment in the main bar at midnight that to me was aimed squarely at the 80 plus age bracket, yet the average age of the passengers was a generation younger.

Well I have had a long think and the britishness of P&O is because the vast majority of passengers are british. simple really;)

Entertainments are laid on to reflect the tastes of the passengers, however I think P&O passengers don't reflect the average brit. I think they have a tendency to behave and have opinions of someone older than their physical age. This might explain why, although the average passenger age is say 64, entertainment tends to be somewhat skewed toward people older than that.

For an example Arcadia this summer in the Baltic had entertainment in the main bar at midnight that to me was aimed squarely at the 80 plus age bracket, yet the average age of the passengers was a generation younger.

80+....ideal for you then Dave. :)

I am in the dislike Sailaway bracket. We are 75 and 66, but certainly don't think we are in whatever bracket this is? I also think they are toe-curling and actually I think the people who attend are a lot younger than we are?! So don't think it's for 80 year olds at all. On Oriana last time, we were at the stern outside the Conservatory having a cup of tea and the music was much more modern than has been mentioned on here.

We are 63 and 60 and really enjoyed our Sailaways on the Oriana earlier this year... the entertainment crew were excellent and worked very hard and it was simple honest good fun - and the cocktails were good and a very reasonable price.There was a very good atmosphere.

But again, you don't have to go to that part of the ship for that short time if you don't like it or feel it is cringe worthy. I don't like gyms and exercise classes, but I don't mind others enjoying them.

It is not the sailaways that are tacky. It is the great british sail away that is cringeworthy. OK, I can see the point when you are setting off on your cruise from the british port of southampton, or maybe even little bits of abroad like gibraltar which still consider themselves british. Flags and patriotic songs might well be OK in these circumstances. Everywhere else, no way.

These GB sailaways appear to me as not very pleasant wind ups of 'johnny foreigner' Look you lot, we used to run most of the world (and a lot of us wish we still did). We beat you in lots of wars. This means we are better than you so here is one finger up your .....s for ending up with a better standard of living than us. If we want to play the dambusters march to p..s of the kr...s so be it. You lot had better realise that we now have such an insecurity complex and a hankering after the good all days when everyone had their place below us that we have to resort to petty childish posturing to massage our egos.

There you have it. What makes P&O 'british' can be good or bad. I suggest they drop the bad and bring P&O into the 21st century looking forward rather than looking back at a reality that was an illusion.

Couple of things I missed out:

Orderly Queues at the buffet (and hand sanitising)

Not trying to get in the lift before anyone has come out.

Good grief Mike, you've obviously not been on any cruises I've been on,lol

Especially the second one :eek:

Lou

I guess I meant relatively, compared to MSC even the American lines seem orderly!

Not on RCI. If they're in a scooter then they have the right to simply charge into the lift, regardless of current occupants or any semblance of a queue!

Personally I think the biggest British thing about P&O is the food - can't think of a single other line where they would serve nursery puddings!

OMG 'Nursery Puddings?' Not heard of that one, I thought 'Eton Mess' was a strange one.

As for the 'Great British Sailaways' mentioned by others, In my opinion they are tremendous, what fun, a right old knees up.

We had some classics on Arcadia WC last year. I have travelled on several cruiselines and no one does sailaways like P&O UK does.

Rule Britannia !!! (Britannia rules the Waves.)

Edited by NSWP

It is the 'Britishness' that actually puts me off sailing P&O - it's just not what I want on holiday. Roast dinners, fish and chips, nursery puddings, flag waving, Rule Britannia ...no thanks. Obviously some like it - takes all sorts to make a world!

It is the 'Britishness' that actually puts me off sailing P&O - it's just not what I want on holiday. Roast dinners, fish and chips, nursery puddings, flag waving, Rule Britannia ...no thanks. Obviously some like it - takes all sorts to make a world!

We've just been on the IOS with Royal Caribbean and on the last night we went to what was called something like Britannia Rocks and it was their version of the P&O event. The whole venue was packed - so it can't be that much of a disaster if the USA cruise lines are copying it for passengers from Southampton.

Personally we really enjoyed the Great British Sailaway on the Oceana - sorry

We also LOVED the band that played us off at Southampton and are NOT happy that this tradition has been shelved :(

At the end of the day it can be avoided if you don't want it, but as a one off novelty we loved it.

Both my wife and I and our friends enjoy the GBS especially when we are in alongside another ship and if Neil Oliver is the cruise director he knows how to handle his audience, it is not all Vera Lynn try keeping up with his "Americana",we also take our own "Union Jacks and Saltire" with us much better than the plastic ones. A couple of years ago the Caribbean Princess was alongside us and her passengers were trying to out sing us on Azura, we have also been alongside Mien Schiff and even the Germans joined in a sing song. So chill out with the GBS if you don't like it don't take part it's only 1 hour or so out of 14 days.

I remember once on a very small cruise ship. we were a table for 8. We had great food, but it was a long cruise, so we said one night "do you ever do curry?" Well, the passengers don't like it Madam, was the reply. Well, these passengers do we said.

so they said "would Monday do?" They cooked us (just us) the most wonderful array of Indian dishes and all the other tables were green with envy.

That's the nice thing about a small, very small ship.

We were on RCI recently for the first time and it really wasn't for us so we'll never cruise with them again. For us it was just too brash, loud and "in-your-face" and we just couldn't escape from the noise and hubbub because of the ship's layout. I guess for us the Britishness of P&O lies in its understatement. You can have a quiet drink enjoying each other's company or you can also find a bar with lively entertainment or where you can sit and chat with new friends... but there is a choice. The staff on P&O too are polite and helpful but not constantly invading your space, and we like that.

Edited by tartanexile81