If you bring a bottle of wine...

bookworm61

do you need to bring a corkscrew? Going on Zuiderdam and wondering how this works.

TIA!

You could always borrow one from your room steward or one of the bars, but it is much easier to bring your own. Just make sure not to put it in a carry-on case as it will confiscated at the airport.

Edited by taxmantoo

I have to agree -- get yourself a cheap one and pack it in your checked luggage.

Sometimes there aren't any in the cabins - and the stewards may not always be able to find you one.

^^ That.

I'm a great believer in providing for ourselves in every way possible.

Makes our life so much smoother than waiting for someone else to do something for us that we could easily have done for ourselves.

You can pick up a very inexpensive cork screw and you will have it when you want it.

I have a folding Screwpull corkscrew that I keep in a baggie in my luggage...with some other things that always go with us on cruises. Less to think about when it's time to pack.

The only long vacations we take are cruises so I put it in our "cruise" luggage...rather than the weekender duffles.

Definitely bring your own!! Had a silly experience on the Amsterdam trying to get a corkscrew. Asked the Concierge who said to ask Room Service which I did and what they brought me could not open a bottle of anything. So I finally went up to the Sea View bar and had them open the bottle for me.The attendants could not believe what room service had given me. So from now on, we will bring our own!!

Yes bring your own. I fleft my in the hotel room we stayed in the night before our cruise and when on board Ihad a heck of a time getting one.

Our room steward said he didn't have any extras and could not find another.

The wine steward in the dining room could not believe that we couldn't get one.

Went to the hotel guest service desk, not luck and directed me to the dinning or bar director.

Cabin steward suggested we buy one from the onboard shop, they don't sell them.

Back to guest services and complained and finally got one delivered. Next time I am packing a couple of them, just in case I forget one someone. :)

Cheers!

Gary

I'm a great believer in providing for ourselves in every way possible.

Makes our life so much smoother than waiting for someone else to do something for us that we could easily have done for ourselves.

That reminds me of our first cruise years ago. For the first two mornings, my wife would make the bed so it "looked nice" when the cabin stewards arrived. I can still "hear" those words! She made sure everything was put away and also wiped down the sinks in the bathroom.

When the steward came into our cabin after breakfast ,he looked puzzled that the bed was made and the towels were put back on the rack like they were fresh. He thought another steward was in our cabin and after telling him it was my wife who did these things, he told her to relax and enjoy the cruise as that was their job.

She still makes sure everything is put away, but no longer makes the bed.

We have several "essentials" that simply STAY in the inside (upper mesh pocket) of our checked bags and never get unpacked from trip to trip.

There are comfort items, cabin organizers, extra necessities, some first aid, etc, and ALWAYS a corkscrew or two. It is a "given" and always gets used! :eek:

That reminds me of our first cruise years ago. For the first two mornings, my wife would make the bed so it "looked nice" when the cabin stewards arrived. I can still "hear" those words! She made sure everything was put away and also wiped down the sinks in the bathroom.

When the steward came into our cabin after breakfast ,he looked puzzled that the bed was made and the towels were put back on the rack like they were fresh. He thought another steward was in our cabin and after telling him it was my wife who did these things, he told her to relax and enjoy the cruise as that was their job.

She still makes sure everything is put away, but no longer makes the bed.

I don't make the bed as I loathe making beds even at home. But I certainly try cleaning everything else up for them. They have some many rooms to clean, I hope an extra free minutes from my room will be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always carry a wine opener and foil cutter. The worm, the part that goes into the cork, is often dull on the in room corkscrew. Or the corkscrew is missing altogether.

However, there are a number of ways to open a bottle that don't involve using a corkscrew. We've tried a few. You probably don't want to use the shoe method on an older, tannic red. (But if you took the time to bring an older red wine with a lot of tannins, you probably remembered the corkscrew. :D)

Alternative wine opening techniques - with simple to follow video instructions.

https://www.yahoo.com/food/how-to-open-a-bottle-of-wine-with-everything-but-a-73520983092.html

I'm wondering if we're married to sisters. I pulled the car around to pick up the wife after her hysterectomy and when I returned to the room, I found her striping the bed so the hospital staff wouldn't have to. She said the staff was so nice, she didn't want to be a bother to them.

I always carry a wine opener and foil cutter. The worm, the part that goes into the cork, is often dull on the in room corkscrew. Or the corkscrew is missing altogether.

However, there are a number of ways to open a bottle that don't involve using a corkscrew. We've tried a few. You probably don't want to use the shoe method on an older, tannic red. (But if you took the time to bring an older red wine with a lot of tannins, you probably remembered the corkscrew. :D)

Alternative wine opening techniques - with simple to follow video instructions.

https://www.yahoo.com/food/how-to-open-a-bottle-of-wine-with-everything-but-a-73520983092.html

and then there are two other options...

Screw top

Wine in a box

and then there are two other options...

Screw top

Wine in a box

Use "Stelvin Closure" in place of screw top. And remember that the venerable winemaker Penfolds helped to perfect the modern wine box. There's a cooler name for the wine box, but it escapes me at the moment. :confused: