Tip your bar servers!!!!!!!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you order a drink from a bar server on a Royal Caribbean Ship you have to tip the 15% because it is immediately put on your sea pass card and it cannot be removed.

You do not have to order the drink, but if you do, they can and do tell you exactly what you have to tip.

Also, tipping for Cabin Attendants, Dining Room Waiters, Asst. Waiters and Head Waiters is now mandatory as well and is charged daily to your sea pass account.

So not only does Royal Caribbean have the right to tell you to tip and how much to tip, they actually force you to tip.

Tipping your stateroom attendant and waitstaff is only mandatory if you have My Time Dining. If you have traditional dining, you can have the tips removed. Although I would say that service would have to be truly horrid to justify doing so.

We gave our Diamond club server a tip the last night.............My question is: What mixed drinks are included? My husband had a Baileys but we could never figure out what to order if he didnt want one. I asked our server what else we can get but I was never really clear other than the wine. Any examples of a mixed drink for the Diamond Lounge??

We gave our Diamond club server a tip the last night.............My question is: What mixed drinks are included? My husband had a Baileys but we could never figure out what to order if he didnt want one. I asked our server what else we can get but I was never really clear other than the wine. Any examples of a mixed drink for the Diamond Lounge??

Enchantment_DL_CL_drinks.JPG

Thanks for the reminder merion mom to bring a bit more money in small bills for tipping when not in the D lounge. We usually wait until the last night and then group tip but this won't work if we can get free drinks around the ship.

Tipping your stateroom attendant and waitstaff is only mandatory if you have My Time Dining. If you have traditional dining, you can have the tips removed. Although I would say that service would have to be truly horrid to justify doing so.

Well I think Royal Caribbean was smart in charging (other than MTD) people their gratuities on a DAILY basis. You may get them removed, but you would have to say you had bad service EVERY day by each employee to get them all removed. If someone is willing to do that....well...Karma can be a b*tch. haha!

I am not talking about those tips. You will see I cruise regularly with RCL. I am talking about other people telling me I HAVE to tip.

If I wasn't clear, I apologise

No apology necessary. But I must have missed something. If not the usual tips then what tips were you talking about?

More and more frequently I walk into restaurants who flatly state they want 18% - 25%. Those are often the places I get the worst service. Go figure. 15%, IMO, is adequate for good service. Prompt but nothing spectacular. A good baseline.

If you get lousy service in a restaurant deducting from that doesn't mean you are cheap or undertip. It wasn't so long ago that 10% was considered adequate and 15% generous. Now they demand 20% and don't want to work for it. It's an issue and it's very dismissive to blame the customer.

Seeing that we are diverting away from the subject matter of tipping bar staff when getting free drinks by the use of vouchers in place of using the C&A lounges (which I do not object too at all btw), then I will add to the discussion.

Even in the UK it is becoming more and more common that establishments are shaming customers into leaving a % range for tips when paying by credit/debit card. As you may know here we used the 'chip & pin' system when paying by card, so invariably the server will present you with a wireless payment terminal in which you put your card for you to confirm the amount and enter your pin number to authorise the charge. Low and behold, they now present you with pre programmed tip % to choose from. Usually it says "Press 1 for 15%, 2 for 18% or 3 for 20%". What a cheek!

I tip in the UK and in the US and yes, on a cruise ship (have prepaid for years), but I detest being shamed and corralled into a specific %. As mentioned, 10% was once considered adequate, even when I first visited the US in 1980 and 15% generous, so why is it now so often suggested 20% or more?

I've asked this before, and I'll ask it again, restaurant prices have increased since 1980, so 15% still amounts to a % of the increased price (oh then people tell me it should now be 18% minimum), that's why it's a % not a set value say $20. So when someone can explain why the % has had to increase I'll consider giving more than 15%.

Oh and before anyone says I don't understand what it's like in the service industry, I do, I worked for 6 years in this industry serving customers food and beverages when a tip for a bar server was 20pence as mandated by our management, not the £1 taken as a minimum by some staff today!

Edited by peteukmcr

Seeing that we are diverting away from the subject matter of tipping bar staff when getting free drinks by the use of vouchers in place of using the C&A lounges (which I do not object too at all btw), then I will add to the discussion.

Even in the UK it is becoming more and more common that establishments are shaming customers into leaving a % range for tips when paying by credit/debit card. As you may know here we used the 'chip & pin' system when paying by card, so invariably the server will present you with a wireless payment terminal in which you put your card for you to confirm the amount and enter your pin number to authorise the charge. Low and behold, they now present you with pre programmed tip % to choose from. Usually it says "Press 1 for 15%, 2 for 18% or 3 for 20%". What a cheek!

I tip in the UK and in the US and yes, on a cruise ship (have prepaid for years), but I detest being shamed and corralled into a specific %. As mentioned, 10% was once considered adequate, even when I first visited the US in 1980 and 15% generous, so why is it now so often suggested 20% or more?

I've asked this before, and I'll ask it again, restaurant prices have increased since 1980, so 15% still amounts to a % of the increased price (oh then people tell me it should now be 18% minimum), that's why it's a % not a set value say $20. So when someone can explain why the % has had to increase I'll consider giving more than 15%.

Oh and before anyone says I don't understand what it's like in the service industry, I do, I worked for 6 years in this industry serving customers food and beverages when a tip for a bar server was 20pence as mandated by our management, not the £1 taken as a minimum by some staff today!

Here in Canada 15% would be considered a good tip on good service. We tip 15% unless it was bad and more if it was great, which happens to us quite a bit.

What the machine systems for card payment here usually have are one of two options. The first is a straight up dollar amount. The other choice is a percentage that you choose by entering the percent. I prefer the percent system personally, but my high school math percentages kicks in quick when the machines screen gives the dollar option.

You are correct IMHO on your thought of price of dinner increase also increases the price of tip increase. There is also the rate of inflation and cost of living going up, but as of late that has not been had exponential increases. Now this winter the price of home heating has escalated due to high demand and less supply, but the price of gasoline has remainder constant. Getting back to your point though I think it is presumptuous for tip percentages of up to 20% on their machine.

If one had exceptional service they can very quickly figure out how to tip more if they want to, without a machine prompting them.

Sometimes they are not so good. But I have to say, I have never deducted anything from the customary tip. But hey, that's just me. You do what you want.

So you reward bad service the same as good service? This doesn't make sense to me.

I just don't think anyone has the right to tell me to tip and how much that should be.

In her defense, I think she is just giving you a heads up that the 15% is not already included.

No one, American or not, would tell you to tip for poor service.

But if you do get good service, it would be appropriate to add a tip for these 'free drinks', generally 15% of your drink total or $1 per drink is considered 'average'.

btw 'how much it should be' is figured out using what is usual and customary. We are not picking 15% out of thin air. It is a good baseline for tipping people in service positions. 10% is considered a little cheap for excellent service, 15-20% is a nice tip, and more than 20% would be generous for U.S. based/compensated service positions.

I am trying to be very specific lol but I am sure someone will take issue anyway.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/when_in_Rome,_do_as_the_Romans_do

Edited by marci22

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you order a drink from a bar server on a Royal Caribbean Ship you have to tip the 15% because it is immediately put on your sea pass card and it cannot be removed.

You do not have to order the drink, but if you do, they can and do tell you exactly what you have to tip.

Also, tipping for Cabin Attendants, Dining Room Waiters, Asst. Waiters and Head Waiters is now mandatory as well and is charged daily to your sea pass account.

So not only does Royal Caribbean have the right to tell you to tip and how much to tip, they actually force you to tip.

Well I think Royal Caribbean was smart in charging (other than MTD) people their gratuities on a DAILY basis. You may get them removed, but you would have to say you had bad service EVERY day by each employee to get them all removed. If someone is willing to do that....well...Karma can be a b*tch. haha!

I have no intention of getting into this ridiculous, and never ending, debate but why don't you stop posting incorrect information. All one has to do is go to guest services and tell them that you will take care of your own tips by cash as was done in the past. That is it. Its done. So stop posting about mandatory tipping, RCI telling you what you are going to do, or having to say you had bad service every day by each employee.

I have no intention of getting into this ridiculous, and never ending, debate but why don't you stop posting incorrect information. All one has to do is go to guest services and tell them that you will take care of your own tips by cash as was done in the past. That is it. Its done. So stop posting about mandatory tipping, RCI telling you what you are going to do, or having to say you had bad service every day by each employee.

Hear, Hear!

Here in Canada 15% would be considered a good tip on good service. We tip 15% unless it was bad and more if it was great, which happens to us quite a bit.

What the machine systems for card payment here usually have are one of two options. The first is a straight up dollar amount. The other choice is a percentage that you choose by entering the percent. I prefer the percent system personally, but my high school math percentages kicks in quick when the machines screen gives the dollar option.

You are correct IMHO on your thought of price of dinner increase also increases the price of tip increase. There is also the rate of inflation and cost of living going up, but as of late that has not been had exponential increases. Now this winter the price of home heating has escalated due to high demand and less supply, but the price of gasoline has remainder constant. Getting back to your point though I think it is presumptuous for tip percentages of up to 20% on their machine.

If one had exceptional service they can very quickly figure out how to tip more if they want to, without a machine prompting them.

The one thing I dislike about the % option here in Canada is it includes the up to 15% tax we pay. It's at least 10% in all provinces except for Alberta and the territories which has only federal GST at 5%. I always go with the $ option and that isn't hard to figure out on the meal and drink cost since that total is usually shown on the bill before the tax is added.;)

The one thing I dislike about the % option here in Canada is it includes the up to 15% tax we pay. It's at least 10% in all provinces except for Alberta and the territories which has only federal GST at 5%. I always go with the $ option and that isn't hard to figure out on the meal and drink cost since that total is usually shown on the bill before the tax is added.;)

Just my own anecdotal experience regarding some of these % options printed at the bottom of the check...the math is often way off. Twice this calendar year I have received checks printed with 15, 18, 20% amounts at the bottom that had dollar amounts significantly higher than the percentage they were listed next to. With or without the tax didn't make the difference, the numbers were just pulled out of air to fool people. And I am sure they get away with it quite often. When I have a $40 bill I know that 15% is not $8.75. A lot of people don't!

Tip shaming is getting out of control, especially in the U.S. People want money for nothing these days.

o.k., I thought this thread was about tipping for using the complimentary drinks.

The general discussion about tipping is nice, but off topic and a distraction.

It's not off topic at all.

1. We are adults and as such should be trusted to understand that when a service is provided to us for no charge it is at our discretion if we choose to tip, not mandatory.

2. The world is becoming more and more in the mode of people expecting a tip for doing their basic job services.

3. I am not sure I understand why the cruise line need to educate, sorry, I mean shame people about tipping for items given complimentary to guests. If the cruise line wants to remove these loyalty benefits / perks they can do so, but if they want to provide them gratis then they are gratis. Whatever someone chooses to tip is based on number 1, not number 2.

I tip as I go when it comes to bars (whether being given drinks or paying for them). The service often warrants that bit extra. But if the service were poor, I wouldn't pay. How is that off topic?

But if the service were poor, I wouldn't pay. How is that off topic?

o.k., let me challenge your assumption.

We were just off Explorer and I used the free drink upload to my seapass card.

I went to a bar and asked for a glass of cabernet. The bartender gave me the drink and scanned my card. Period. End of story. This scenario was repeated multiple times, all basically the same.

Would you define this as "good" service or not? How much would you tip, if anything, in this very likely scenario?

I went to a bar and asked for a glass of cabernet. The bartender gave me the drink and scanned my card. Period. End of story. This scenario was repeated multiple times, all basically the same.

Would you define this as "good" service or not? How much would you tip, if anything, in this very likely scenario?

Walk up - one drink - walk away?

Then probably $1.00 minimum in cash.

I'm happy to have a discussion with anyone that asks me a direct question.

In the instance you described as long as the service was polite and timely I'd probably give a cash tip of $1 per glass to the bar tender or person serving me.

In my book polite and timely = good and is also what I expect.

o.k., I thought this thread was about tipping for using the complimentary drinks... The general discussion about tipping is nice, but off topic and a distraction.

I agree with you on this. I started to post this exact sentiment twice yesterday but deleted it. There are copious numbers of general tipping threads here; shame this very specific one got derailed. :( Oh well.

Has anyone ASKED the bar staff / servers on ships now implementing the 3 drink voucher if or how they are compensated for those drinks by the cruise line? I've read reports where the drinks are accounted for and that 15% is added on and pooled as for any other drink, but I have read other reports that normal DL/CL staff are at a higher salary for a "plum" position but one where they would not be necessarily counting on tips, and so therefore is fundamentally different than other bar servers.

This would be a good question for someone on board to ask the F&B manager so that there is clarity in understanding.

For a standard bar tip, $1 per drink per round. Maybe extra if the bartender is really attentive or there are a lot of specialty drinks involved. I really wouldn't calculate 15% exactly.

As for getting off topic, there is a certain segment that wants to argue against tipping in general. Why do I have to do it, I don't do it at home. Why can't they be paid a 'fair wage'. I don't take pride in playing Lord Bountiful. I have paid for my cruise, why should I tip. and on and on and on. I have been reading CC for years and years. This discussion will never go away.

Edited by marci22

So you reward bad service the same as good service? This doesn't make sense to me.

No I don't reward, I give the customary expected tip. So I just don't punish. If you want to punish go ahead.

So in any other occupation, if you are paid by the hour or salaried (not tipped) you don't get your wages cut if you have a bad moment or day in your job do you?