Did Celebrity Management Get the Message

mcrcruiser

The new promotions for cash in lieu of the 123 Go packages .

Did management finally realize that the booze deals one cost too much & two lead to people consuming too much & having too many alcohol problems on board ? Thus ,they are now offering cash incentives ;)

Did management finally realize that the booze deals one cost too much & two lead to people consuming too much & having too many alcohol problems on board ? Thus they are now offering cash incentives ;)

I have posted my theory is they are ramping up to go to an all-inclusive program come the 2016 season that will include the equivalent of the classic beverage package in the cruise fare.

I also think they will then change from the current $10 +gratuity per day upgrade fee to something more like $15 or $20. Doing this will make people feel like they are getting a bargain, "for only $20 bux I get unlimited good drinks!" without noting the daily cabin fare had increased slightly to cover the initial package. SO now lots more people pay the upgrade fe, and it;'s a higher dollar amount, so it's a bonanza for the revenue generation and profit growth...

In order to minimize disruptions at that time, they need to phase out the beverage package as a perk, which would in effect be unnecessary at that time...

Sure some already have reservations for that time with the beverage package selection, but those are relatively insignificant in number this far out, and I'd assume they will be sent notification of an option to select the OBC or gratuities that were options when selecting the package.

I come to this conclusion based on some comments in an article I read last year where they said they are looking at the Azamara all inclusive model, and another that said a big announcement is coming this October that guests and shareholders alike will be excited about.

Doing this would let Celebrity market themselves as the only mainstream cruise line that includes beverages I believe (not 100% positive none of the others do...but as far as I do know, they don't). That would create a lot of buzz in the cruise world.

Edited by cle-guy

No! You an also receive the alcohol package when booking on board. Also please provide some documentation where Celebrity has had issues with guests consuming too much alcohol aboard their ships. I would be interested in reading that.

Edited by cruisingator2

We never saw anyone drunk or out of control from drinking too much alcohol two weeks ago on the Summit. Most of the people were between forty and seventy years old. This was not a frat party.

Not necessarily, a couple we just cruised with felt they would have done better picking the on board credit. They didn't drink anywhere near what they would have received in credit.(which I believe was 250)

They wished they chose the credit to spend on things they wanted

One of the reasons we haven't gone back to Azamara is how much alcohol is included in the base price. My wife drinks perhaps 3-4 glasses of wine a day and I don't drink at all. It offends my cost-sensibility to pay for something I won't use. If Celebrity moved to that model, it would certainly influence our cruising decisions and probably move us more to RCL (which wouldn't hurt their corporate bottom line much but would make me feel I was getting more of what I wanted for my money). And it might even make me look at other lines, something I really don't want to do. :eek:

There are a lot of people who do not see the appeal of unlimited alcohol and while there have not been any reports of major issues that required security involvement, there are quite a few observations that incidents illustrating the effects of free-flowing alcohol are increasing.

We never saw anyone drunk or out of control from drinking too much alcohol two weeks ago on the Summit. Most of the people were between forty and seventy years old. This was not a frat party.

I did on the Solstice last year. In fact in my 20 years of cruising, that is the only embarrassing thing I can remember ever doing. And yes, I was trying to get my value out of the 123 program. I just let it get away from me and I made a fool of myself. Honestly I’m not sure what we are going to do on our Summit trip in a few weeks. I like a couple of drinks in the evening, and Sally likes a couple of glasses of wine. I’m not poor, but the drinks are expensive. I might be a candidate for rum running. The thought of it is kind of exciting. :cool:

Burt

Yes, we do have to remember that not everyone needs alcohol to cruise, especially not in the amount allotted...

You have to remember that the packages are not just about the alcohol, there is also Specialty Coffee's and teas, bottled water, fresh squeezed oj, soda's etc included which when you put it in a "package" makes it really convenient and a lot of the time, a good value.

Since because health issues husband does not drink alcohol, coffee, or tea. It would suck if he was charged extra for perks he can't enjoy. We are not bottled water drinkers either tap water is just fine. Why should we have to pay for something we won't use. THIS IS EXACTLY WHY WE WON'T CRUISE AZAMARA Again. Have you noticed their prices, they have increased substantially since they went to the drink included package in the price. THey do have a good product but not worth that much money for something we will never use.

I hope the lesson learned was that it would be good to have some sort of passenger panel to help evaluate the perception of changes..BEFORE just dropping them in on a cruise.

Cruise critic might be a place to draw at least a few for that council...Andy would be excellent, there are others here who could speak to Zenith's, new cruisers and so on. Irrespective of how that panel is created, Celebrity really needs it. While they're evaluating changes, ask that panel to also focus on the web experience.

It's almost bizarre that as pro Celebrity as Andy is, he feels that he's not loved (I'm paraphrasing here, of course), but why wouldn't Celebrity reach out to someone like Andy and ask for his opinions? Very strange lack of what I'd call customer partnership.

As far as 1-2-3 and all inclusive some year in the future...I think Celebrity is a long way from that decision because it puts them into a different price category and cruising is a very competitive market right now.

Edited by ghstudio

Not necessarily, a couple we just cruised with felt they would have done better picking the on board credit. They didn't drink anywhere near what they would have received in credit.(which I believe was 250)

They wished they chose the credit to spend on things they wanted

Well - that was NOT me - BUT I feel the same way!

I called Celebrity and cannot change. I also have paid grat. that I would l lose. I may watch prices, cancel, and rebook with some other offer

M

I personally think it's a matter of trying to offer something different. While I personally like the 1,2,3 type promos there are a number of comments on these forums (and most likely elsewhere) stating that people just want to pay less to cruise and will then spend their money the way they choose.

This new promo addresses that request.

Once this promo ends, who knows what we'll see.

Did management finally realize that the booze deals one cost too much & two lead to people consuming too much & having too many alcohol problems on board ? Thus ,they are now offering cash incentives ;)

I have yet to read loads of threads about people over-consuming and causing problems nor did we witness this on our cruise.

The drink package is what enticed us to try Celebrity and we already have another booked because of it.

I think they are trying all sorts of things to lure new customers and old ones to book. It's called marketing.

On my last cruise (14 nights) we did not have the bev package as we missed the 1,2,3 when we booked. Once the promo came out our cabin price went sky high so we made the decision to do without. I was bummed but instead we took onboard a case of water and my diet tonic. Had in room bar with a bottle of vodka and gin (which we didn't finish and took off the ship as we drove), butler brought me sliced limes everyday. We then had the 7 bottle wine package for dinner. We did order the pre-dinner martini and the odd drink around the ship but I've decided a bev package isn't for us - and we like to drink but there is no way that we could make it pay on a longer, port intensive cruise. I'll continue with X if they go all inclusive but I hope they don't.

Since because health issues husband does not drink alcohol, coffee, or tea. It would suck if he was charged extra for perks he can't enjoy. We are not bottled water drinkers either tap water is just fine. Why should we have to pay for something we won't use. THIS IS EXACTLY WHY WE WON'T CRUISE AZAMARA Again. Have you noticed their prices, they have increased substantially since they went to the drink included package in the price. THey do have a good product but not worth that much money for something we will never use.

I do not drink very much. My husband does not drink. Azamara is a very different experience. The service, food, activities, etc. are all luxurious. I sail on Celebrity and Azamara. If Azamara is sailing to places that I want to visit, I sail on Azamara. Since Azamara has only 2 ships, where they sail is limited. Celebrity has lots of ships. Not as luxurios as Azamara. Celebrity is still nice.

The "free" classic drink package is still offered as an extra perk if you book on-board. It hasn't gone away...so your theory about costing too much or drinking too much doesn't work.

Edited by ghstudio

I do not drink very much. My husband does not drink. Azamara is a very different experience. The service, food, activities, etc. are all luxurious. I sail on Celebrity and Azamara. If Azamara is sailing to places that I want to visit, I sail on Azamara. Since Azamara has only 2 ships, where they sail is limited. Celebrity has lots of ships. Not as luxurios as Azamara. Celebrity is still nice.

I think you've made some very good points Redtravel. I used to be very passionate about Azamara, but I'm not all that interested of late - partially due to their ships having virtually no presense in the Caribbean. Believe me, I know that's not what Azamara is all about, but IMO, a few sailings a year makes sense - if only to introduce guests to Azamara. For 2015, I think they have 1 Miami sailing. Nonetheless, I feel they offer a wonderful cruise experience.

I was very disappointed when Azamara went more inclusive, and added the drink package - as we barely drink, and I do not wish to pay for something we wont use. I truly hope Celebrity does not go down the same path, by adding drinks, and raising prices additionally. I'd much rather pay for a drink when I'm in the mood, or have the OPTION of choosing a drink package as a benefit.

Just remember, there's no free lunch out there :)

I really don`t see X going all inclusive. We too have sailed and loved Azamara, however we have not been back since the prices went up quite a bit. As Elite + we already have pre dinner drinks and Morning Bloody Mary`s and free special coffee`s. We most often have at least $300. OBC. We use that for wine at dinner or Specialty Dine. On our last two week cruise our final bill was $152. and that was with 2 bottles of duty free to take to friends. I know free drink package would not be worth it to us. Nor would the new all inclusive Celebrity.

You have to remember that the packages are not just about the alcohol, there is also Specialty Coffee's and teas, bottled water, fresh squeezed oj, soda's etc included which when you put it in a "package" makes it really convenient and a lot of the time, a good value.

The non alcoholic packages can make good sense topped off with buying other drinks as you wish. It can save you money overall.

I think there are a lot of unintended consequences with the included drink packages. It certainly affects the crew being able to perform more personalized service. They are overworked trying to provide drinks to people who want to get the most out of their drink packages. As a result it also slows down and makes it more difficult to coordinate the dining room service.

Our last cruise in March, a 2 week Caribbean cruise, is the first time I can recall seeing a large number of passengers who were really tipsy and reeking of booze. No one was obnoxiously rowdy, but I saw a lot of glasses and plates left in places they didn't belong. Getting on the elevator was an adventure with people juggling drinks and glasses of wine along with plates they were taking to their cabins. I saw wine spilled on two different people in the elevator. I even saw glasses and plates left in the elevator.

The staff and crew did their best to keep things picked up, but they definitely weren't as cheerful as usual.

I'm also another one who doesn't care to pay an inflated rate for something I could never really benefit from. I have no problem with offering packages for sale but I really think including them as a booking promotion is causing more problems than what it's worth. It is something that I will take into consideration going forward.

Edited by Ma Bell

We have had the pkg on our last 3 cruises as a perk (ie 123) Celebrity makes money off of us as we don't drink all that much. Big but!!! I hate it when we have to pay for drinks because we/I decide not to order something that strikes my fancy ie Chocolate Martini, that fantastic wine or a Dragonfly from the Molecular Bar) because of the cost. I talk myself out of something that I never would be able to do at home because the $$$'s start adding up in my head. The freedom to try new drinks, order without a thought to your final folio balance is wonderful to both DH and I.

I think there are a lot of unintended consequences with the included drink packages. It certainly affects the crew being able to perform more personalized service. They are overworked trying to provide drinks to people who want to get the most out of their drink packages. As a result it also slows down and makes it more difficult to coordinate the dining room service.

Our last cruise in March, a 2 week Caribbean cruise, is the first time I can recall seeing a large number of passengers who were really tipsy and reeking of booze. No one was obnoxiously rowdy, but I saw a lot of glasses and plates left in places they didn't belong. Getting on the elevator was an adventure with people juggling drinks and glasses of wine along with plates they were taking to their cabins. I saw wine spilled on two different people in the elevator. I even saw glasses and plates left in the elevator.

The staff and crew did their best to keep things picked up, but they definitely weren't as cheerful as usual.

I'm also another one who doesn't care to pay an inflated rate for something I could never really benefit from. I have no problem with offering packages for sale but I really think including them as a booking promotion is causing more problems than what it's worth. It is something that I will take into consideration going forward.

Maybe they should not offer the pkgs in the Caribbean lol Seems to attract a different crowd.