Wanted to share a neat story about honesty

Iamthesea

While onboard the last sailing of the Constellation, and nearing the end of our last port day (Copenhagen), my SIL and I decided to get back off the ship and go to the port side Internet Café. I also wanted to take a look in a children's shop to buy something for my grandson. Telling my DH this, he pulled out a 50 euro bill, and two 50 kroner bills for me to use.

Off the ship to the Internet Café we go. We were the only passengers getting off at that moment because all guest were to be back onboard within the hour. Once reaching the IC, I reached in my purse to buy a beer (you had to buy something to use the internet for free.) and to my dismay, my money was gone! :eek: Although I knew exactly where I had put it, I searched my entire purse twice with no luck. I told my SIL that I believe I'd lost the money when pulling out my Sign & Sail card when disembarking the ship.

After using the Internet, we headed back to the ship. Outside of the ship, I saw the Hotel Director and explained my loss. Although not a lot of money, I knew that my DH would not be happy with me for losing the money, so I had to try and find it. I asked the HD where I should go to see if any money had been turned in. He practically rolled his eyes in a way that said "you'll never see that money again" and told me to check with Guest Relations. On a hunch, I asked the crew member that was punching our cards to embark the ship. He shook his head and replied "no". That was it...I thought that either a crew member or a passenger had found the money and it was long gone. :(

However...after putting my purse through the scanner, another crew member approached me and ask if I had lost anything. I was dumfounded! He asked me what I had lost. I replied money. He asked me to wait a moment while he made a phone call. When the person on the other end of the phone answered, the crew member said "a lady is here for the money." :D At that time, another crew member, maybe an officer (not sure) arrived and asked how much money I had lost. I replied that I was not certain because my husband had given me the money right before disembarking, but I believe it was "one 50 euro, and two 50 kroner." He immediately replied "no!" :eek: However, at the same time, he had pulled a drawer open and there were my bills. I think it occurred to him at the same time that he thought I meant a 50 euro bill, and 250 in kroner. He handed over the money and I excitingly thanked him.

Only later did I wonder if a crew member had found the money or a passenger. Either way, someone was honest enough to turn the money into someone in authority. If that person is reading this, thank you from the bottom of my heart. :)

Funny...when I saw my DH back to the stateroom, I handed him the money back. He looked at me with incredulousness and said "what!... YOU couldn't find anything to buy?" :D I didn't tell him until the next morning what had happened.

OP: Good story. Be sure to let Celebrity know about the incident. Include ship, date, time and where you disembarked. It would not be too difficult to track down the people involved and perhaps do something to recognize them. Write to: contactmichael@celebrity.com

Bet you receive a follow up email and/or call from the Miami Office.

I lost my camera in the theater of one of my recent cruises and of course I was panicked and worried because of the priceless photos I'd taken, moreso than the camera itself. It was at the front desk. Someone turned it in right away! So there are more honest people than you think- especially cruise passengers.

What a great story though:)

Loved reading your story.

Here's a warming story involving an event that I experienced during our first trip to Cozumel a few years ago....

DH and I returned from an excursion with time to spare...He isn't a shopper and was tired.

So I head out alone, a little nervous about that, to try to find a white dress for the White Party onboard. I walked down the pier, being waved to and encouraged to come into the various local shops.

Someone came up to me and told me to check out his store on an upper level. Skeptical about this, but really wanting a white dress, I followed him and ended up trying on and purchasing the perfect dress.

I paid and headed back to the ship....When I was almost to the gate, I realized that I had left my very expensive, prescription sunglasses somewhere. I started to head back to the shops and hear the guy who sold me the dress calling out to me....He had my sunglasses in his hands!

I gave him a nice tip and will always remember his kindness. If he hadn't returned my glasses, it would have been an extremely expensive day!

Edited by tbmrt
add

There are honest people in the world. We found someones wallet in February on the Ruby and turned it in. It was filled with credit cards. We never carry all our credit cards on a cruise. We left our names but never heard if someone claimed it. Made us feel good to return it. But a few years ago on the Reflection our camera must have fallen out of our bag on the belt and when we went back to claim it - gone. It was never turned in. It was a good camera but it had photos of my grand children in it and at least 300 photos of our trip. Cared more about the photos then the camera. I was so hurt someone would take it. I now download all my photos when I come back from each port. And keep the camera in my pocket or put it in the tray. It was nice to hear someone turned in the money:D

Loved reading your story.

Here's a warming story involving an event that I experienced during our first trip to Cozumel a few years ago....

DH and I returned from an excursion with time to spare...He isn't a shopper and was tired.

So I head out alone, a little nervous about that, to try to find a white dress for the White Party onboard. I walked down the pier, being waved to and encouraged to come into the various local shops.

Someone came up to me and told me to check out his store on an upper level. Skeptical about this, but really wanting a white dress, I followed him and ended up trying on and purchasing the perfect dress.

I paid and headed back to the ship....When I was almost to the gate, I realized that I had left my very expensive, prescription sunglasses somewhere. I started to head back to the shops and hear the guy who sold me the dress calling out to me....He had my sunglasses in his hands!

I gave him a nice tip and will always remember his kindness. If he hadn't returned my glasses, it would have been an extremely expensive day!

Two great stories..faith renewed!

where exactly is the Cozumel store? Would like to shop there next time

:)On the Celebrity Infinity recently my husband realized he didn't have his Ipad in our cabin and could not remember when he had last seen it. He went to Guest Relations but didn't have too much hope to find it there. Lucky for him someone honest had turned it in. What a relief to get it back. Had lots of info that we needed and pictures he had taken etc.

A week or two later we were in line to get back on the ship after a bus tour in Cork and someone from the bus line came up with an Iphone that someone had left on our bus. He could not find the couple and we decided it was better that we take it from him and hand it into to Guest Relations rather than leave it in Ireland. A couple of days later we got a bottle of wine in our stateroom with a note from the owner of the phone thanking us for turning in the phone. (We were told that the wine might have been sent by the ship but not sure who provided it.)

What goes around comes around?? (Many happy people found their lost items)

Wendy

rebeccalouiseagain and others...Yes, lots of honest people in the world, but I thought it especially so when cash was involved. ;)

We also found someones credit card on the floor near the dining room one day. turned it into the purser. We did not leave a name or stateroom number, so never heard if it was claimed.

OP: Good story. Be sure to let Celebrity know about the incident. Include ship, date, time and where you disembarked. It would not be too difficult to track down the people involved and perhaps do something to recognize them. Write to: contactmichael@celebrity.com

Bet you receive a follow up email and/or call from the Miami Office.

You know, I had intended on writing a letter to JC, the CD on our ship. He reads that days letters, the next day (which would have been our last.) It was already late that afternoon, and I had to get ready for dinner. By the time the evening was up, I realized that I did not get the letter written. :(

Wow that is awesome! So just a thought! Perhaps you could give a contribution to the charity of your choice for what you may have spent otherwise. Sort of paying it forward! But it is nice to know that someone, by their honesty, was so kind.:)

However, I did pay it forward by filling out two Attention to Detail cards while onboard. One for our awesome stateroom attendants, and the other for all of our servers in Blu. Each were named on the card. Including the Maitre D, we must have had 8-10 people waiting on us in the course of 12 nights. They were all wonderful and attentive, so I wanted to recognize them. When we were leaving the ship the last morning, our stateroom steward stopped us to thank us. She said that the Hotel Director had called them :) and also sent them a written letter! She said that those reviews really help them.

Edited by Iamthesea

The dishonest people do not always profit. I once lost my park hopper pass to Disney when I took off my sweatshirt and the lanyard went with it. I went back to "City Hall" on Main Street to lost and found a couple of times but no one had turned it in. The last trip there that night I made the comment that it was not a huge loss because that was my last night there and there was only one day left on the pass.

The park employee asked me to wait and searched their computers. He found where I had purchased/picked up the pass (Epcot) and every place I had swiped it to use Fast Pass. He then de-activated it and gave me a replacement for the single day I would have lost. His last comment:

"Now the Scrooge McDuck who thinks they found a free pass will get caught at the gate and will not be allowed to use it. Not only that they will have to return all the way to the Ticket Center to buy a park ticket."

I could not have been happier at their kindness and that they were able to thwart the greedy person who decided keeping my pass was better than turning it in.

A note the via the contact Michael e-mail is very effective. I know a few great staff who were offered promotion shortly after positive comments. I was told by a Miami staff person in the Post Cruise Department that they rarely receive positive comments, usually complaints. That makes positive comments more powerful and they consider them very seriously. A member of the crew on each of the ships is named "employee of the Month". A cash award goes along with the recognition. One employee on each ship is named "employee of the Year" and receives a significant cash award. ATD cards are highly prized by employees, but stay on the ship. They too are used as a basis for promotion, or in the case of negative comments, termination.

Edited by Orator

I, too, think most people want to do the right thing. It only takes a few bad apples to spoil things, though.

On Millennium to Alaska a couple years ago, we found a pair of men's shorts left under a lounge chair near the pool. It was early morning, and clearly they had fallen there and the owner was long gone. Looked in the pockets to see if there was any id, and found a wad of cash, but nothing else. We turned the shorts and cash in to guest services - I am hopeful the owner got everything back. :)

Actually, I see two good stories in the OP's thread: first and foremost, the honest passenger/crew member who turned in the money, but also, the honest officer/crew member who didn't pocket the cash once it was turned in. It would have been easy to do.

I lost my camera in the theater of one of my recent cruises and of course I was panicked and worried because of the priceless photos I'd taken, moreso than the camera itself. It was at the front desk. Someone turned it in right away! So there are more honest people than you think- especially cruise passengers.

What a great story though:)

I also lost my camera in Cafe al Bacio. Hours later I went to guest services, where my camera was waiting for me! I made sure to thank everyone!

My husband found a phone in the toilets next to the acropolis in Athens. We looked through the contacts & found a contact that seemed to be the person's daughter. We called her in the US and she said that her Father was on a cruise. We had his name & took it back to our ship. There was a couple of ships in at the same time. Can you believe the person was on our cruise & guest relations contacted him so we could give him the phone back. He offered a reward which we declined. We didn't do it for any reward. It just makes us feel really good. Ours steps to heaven.

The next evening a bottle of wine appeared at our table. The phone's owner had found our MDR table to give us the wine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app