Single Smoking Thread on the HAL Board

Host Walt

Should we adopt a policy of just one "stuck" smoking thread?  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we adopt a policy of just one "stuck" smoking thread?

• Yes, absolutely. It's a great idea.
    • I'm OK with it for now but would like to see how it works.
    • Not a big fan of that idea but will go along.
    • No. That's a bad idea and I cannot go along with it.

I do not mind smoking threads as long as the word "smoking" is in the thread title. Those who are not interested can ignore the thread, those who are interested can contribute. The only people hurt by the many smoking threads are those who feel they have to take part in every smoking conversation.

What happens if a world cruiser is doing a "live from" thread and mentions a problem with balcony cigarette smoke on day 62, thereby provoking a number of pro and con posts. Is the whole thread moved to the smoking sticky?

What happens if a world cruiser is doing a "live from" thread and mentions a problem with balcony cigarette smoke on day 62, thereby provoking a number of pro and con posts. Is the whole thread moved to the smoking sticky?

Good question. I'd hope that the moderators would treat it as they would other instances of thread drift: a few directly related posts should be acceptable, but continued posts on a smoking tangent either deleted or moved.

<snip>

A poster posting a live from thread and mentions cigarette smoking has not created a new thread about smoking. No action would be needed.

Folks who then jump on the topic and post pro and cons posts about cigarette smoking have hijacked the original thread (a persistent and incessant problem that exists on this board) and this is a violation of the guidelines. These posts should be removed immediately.

I do not agree with limiting smoking discussions to one thread, or to making it a sticky.

Some of the threads I follow, some I don't. Some interest me, some don't. I feel a few have merit that deserve discussion and are very beneficial. Other's just seem to be beating a dead horse, or cover scenarios that don't apply to me.

Although I avoid most of the threads, I would hate to have a discussion that interests me be combined in one thread with others that don't, as I would then have to read through all the other issues just to be able to follow the one I DO want to be part of.

And although I don't smoke, I do like to hear positive discussion about some of the issues involved with the subject.

Smoking is legal and allowed on HAL. I think it deserves the same status as any other subject we can discuss on CC. That said, I also think it deserves to be tightly monitored and the rules of posting adhered to.

If it is kept positive and non-threatening or abusive, it should remain as an equal opportunity subject on the open forum. I do not feel it deserves a separate or heightened designation. If you are not interested in the subject, just pass it over. The same as I pass over discussions on priority tendering, Neptune Suites or Lounge, and who is sailing away this week.

Just my two cents worth.

Thank you for doing this poll Host Walt.

I think it was wise to remove the sticky as I do think some skip those.

If I may suggest, if it is possible, now that it has been removed from sticky status, can the poll expiry date be changed for a few more days? (I don't know if that can be done or not so I just ask)

We can keep the interest going :D

Host Walt: I think this is a wonderful idea. I did suggest this sometime back, but cannot find the thread, but at the time people were complaining about too many sticky posts. Since it seems to be of perennial concern, I believe a stick is the right place for smoking threads.

I also think it may lessen the constant nastiness that seems to accompany such threads and allow newcomers to get the information that they need with out all the extra often unnecessary remarks.

Please do it!

To answer a question, the poll expiration date cannot be changed.

It's worth noting that the ratio of votes has remained essentially the same after this thread was unstuck with 84% voting for the first and second options and 16% for the third and fourth options.

Thanks for the thoughtful suggestions. We will try to incorporate them to the extent possible. Keep them coming and if you haven't posted your vote please do so.

I definitely think if we do this it should be evaluated periodically to ensure that it is still important enough for a sticky.

Agreed.

As smoking policies change, I expect there would be an uptick in interest periodically, and less interest at other times.

To answer a question, the poll expiration date cannot be changed....

I was able to extend the deadline by one more day, so the poll now ends on Thursday.

Edited by Host Walt

Smoking is a relevant discussion, especially since HAL is one of the few remaining cruise lines where balcony smoking is allowed.

Like any thread, the reader can bypass those that don't appeal to them.

What's next, only one thread for those who have a complaint about anything related to a HAL cruise?

Sorry, but I have to swim against the tide on this idea. It's not that I'm in favor of smoking threads, but in fact I do kind of like to read them. It's just that with this change we start on a slippery slope.

Will we have a sticky for internet pricing? Dress codes? or any of the other topics that seem to come up again, and again?

Sometimes the board can go months without ever having a thread about smoking, then again sometimes several appear in the same week.

Threads are easily bypassed if not interested.

My vote is leave things as they are or create a new board like the float away lounge and let the pros and nons have at it!

When Princess did exactly this, they still allowed balcony smoking and had frequent divisive threads about it, just like HAL. IMO, the move to having a smoking "sticky" greatly contributed to a less hostile environment and a lot less snark between individual members. The moderators continued to remove inappropriate posts from the "sticky" as needed. It didn't progress down some slippery slope where other debated topics were also banned...

In short, it seemed to work pretty well.

I know some folks like to view this forum as a place to vociferously proclaim their point of view in hopes HAL will read it and it will lead to a change.... But the purpose of CC forums is not to be a conduit to HAL's offices but a place where people exchange information and share their enjoyment of cruising.

< snip>

I know some folks like to view this forum as a place to vociferously proclaim their point of view in hopes HAL will read it and it will lead to a change.... But the purpose of CC forums is not to be a conduit to HAL's offices but a place where people exchange information and share their enjoyment of cruising.

Thank-you so much for this well written statement. I agree 100% with you.

Thank-you so much for this well written statement. I agree 100% with you.

Thanks; I'd like to take credit but it's really just paraphrased directly from CC's guidelines:

"Cruise Critic's Cruise boards, as well as the information you read in our Member's Cruise Review area, and our Cruiser's Choice Poll are designed to help cruisers obtain cruise-related information and discuss ways to make cruising more enjoyable..."

When Princess did exactly this, they still allowed balcony smoking and had frequent divisive threads about it, just like HAL. IMO, the move to having a smoking "sticky" greatly contributed to a less hostile environment and a lot less snark between individual members. The moderators continued to remove inappropriate posts from the "sticky" as needed. It didn't progress down some slippery slope where other debated topics were also banned...

In short, it seemed to work pretty well.

Thanks; I'd like to take credit but it's really just paraphrased directly from CC's guidelines:

"Cruise Critic's Cruise boards, as well as the information you read in our Member's Cruise Review area, and our Cruiser's Choice Poll are designed to help cruisers obtain cruise-related information and discuss ways to make cruising more enjoyable..."

There's the rub... What makes cruising more enjoyable for one may detract from the pleasure of another. The passenger who likes to dress to the nines on formal night is in direct conflict with the passenger whose sartorial tastes run along the lines of jeans and a t-shirt.

Unfortunately, discussion can turn to debate and in turn to argument which, as you rightly say, can create a hostile environment. I agree with your assessment that a "sticky" can help reduce that occasional hostility, although I also think now that a free-floating single thread ("The Smoking Thread") would achieve the same purpose.

About 2/3rds (66+%) are in favor without any reservations and another 14+% are OK with the idea but with some reservations.

Only 11% say they feel it's a bad idea.

Many also felt that a "floating" thread is better than a "sticky" thread so what we'll do is give it a try that way. But we'll also keep this thread as a sticky thread to continue the discussion of a single thread. This thread will continue to not accept any posts about smoking per se, just discussions about the pros and cons of a single floating thread.

Thanks to all who posted their vote and who provided comments about the idea. The new "floating" thread will start tomorrow with all currently active smoking threads being closed to further posts and with a redirect to the new single thread.