Mainstream cruising heading toward all-inclusive?

Oceanwench

Would the 20 photos have to be of me, or could I get some stunt doubles to play us, with the words "Actor Portrayal" printed below the people in the pictures?

Edited by POA1

While I can't see a major line with large ships going full out all-inclusive I can see them offering a package or actually a series of graduated packages from say standard (i.e., well liquors, limited wine) to premier (i.e., call liquors, most wines, all sodas, specialty coffees). We've now been on three all-inclusive cruises and it works for us but there's a lot more to it than just the all-inclusive aspect. So much so we just booked our fourth for next year.

Edited by Randyk47

If anything, I think that movement in the mainstream has largely been going in the opposite direction. Many lines are now building bigger ships that highlight more dining venues that cost extra. Even HAL started charging for dining in their Italian restaurant that used to be included. These Package deals being offered may make it appear more all-inclusive, but you are generally paying a lot extra for them.

HAL has its Explore 4, which pretty much gives one a carte blanche for beverages - and adds a few other perks.

Norwegian Cruise Line just announced a promo for cruises for 2015. It offers a dining package (no fee for specialty restaurants), beverage package (unlimited - with a $10 cap on price for alcoholic beverages), 250 Internet minutes, 20 photos of any size, pre-paid service charge, $200 toward shore excursions (6-day cruises or longer; $100 on shorter cruises) and several minor amenities.

The package price depends on the length of the cruise. Those who purchase the all-inclusive get a 10 percent reduction on the cost of the cruise itself.

The cost would be an additional $899 per person on a 7-day cruise.

I am wondering if other cruise lines are thinking along these lines.

Would you purchase something similar if HAL offered it?

With the $10 drink cap, $200 cap on excursions, fixed Internet time, limit on photos (but who cares?) where is the "ALL" in all-inclusive? That $899 per person seems like a hefty tag for a partial-inclusive.

With the $10 drink cap, $200 cap on excursions, fixed Internet time, limit on photos (but who cares?) where is the "ALL" in all-inclusive? That $899 per person seems like a hefty tag for a partial-inclusive.

I was thinking the same thing.

Norwegian is calling it all inclusive. Their term, not mine.

I think they are viewing it as though they are providing your drinks, your specialty dining, your shore excursions, your Internet ... So they are among it similar to lines that have similar amenities.

It's an experiment and only offered for a short time - you have to book a 2015 cruise in the next couple weeks.

Last year we got 7 Mariner nights for the shipboard account on our 7 night cruise- this year we were better and got 7 nights for our 11 night cruise. At $300 per Mariner night we'd probably be better off going with an "all inclusive". We aren't heavy drinkers but a bottle or 2 of decent wine at dinner, pictures, PG every night, shore excursions, and spa it adds up fast.

Edited by frankc98376

Perhaps if it was per cabin instead of per person...but still I don't agree with NCL's terminology as it is not all inclusive. We travel as a family so there is no way we would pay Xs 4 and I bet they wouldn't allow just DH to sign up. He is really the only drinker so it would be mostly wasted on me and would needs, or has taken, 40 pictures during a 7 day cruise? :eek:

If not everyone on board has the 'all inclusive' how will they monitor who you are ordering drinks for?

probably by your key card or there will be another card that is swiped?

If not everyone on board has the 'all inclusive' how will they monitor who you are ordering drinks for?

probably by your key card or there will be another card that is swiped?

I realise how you order.

What I meant was how do they know you are not ordering for other passengers who are not on the 'all inclusive' - for example buying drinks for friends or family or even people you have just met in the bar.

I realise how you order.

What I meant was how do they know you are not ordering for other passengers who are not on the 'all inclusive' - for example buying drinks for friends or family or even people you have just met in the bar.

They really don't have a totally fail-safe system to preclude that. Observation would be about it and even then, as HAL discovered with some of the earlier versions of the soda cards, that's problematic. The other issue is that the cruise line would put their wait staff and bartenders in the uncomfortable position of potentially having to challenge passengers about their drink orders. Better minds than mine could, and maybe have, work out a solution so I can't or won't say it can't be done.

I realise how you order.

With Celebrity's drink pkg you can only order one drink at a time. If DH goes to the bar to order for us he has to take my card with him. The type of Bev pkg is imprinted on the sea pass card (Classic or Premium). I think there is also a time limit between drinks ordered so you can't hit multiple bars to accumulate drinks lol. Our sea pass is swiped but you don't have to sign anything. It's really surprising on the last night when you get your folio print out and there is pages and pages of Zero's lol.

With all the stuff covered in the pkg (specialty coffees and teas, fresh OJ, water and of course adult beverages, it is easy to justify the pkg especially for the convenience. Plus it's so nice that if you don't like one wine-drink you can just order another one without worrying about the cost.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

How does HAL handle it with the Explore 4?

I know I will never come close to having 15 drinks a day -- so how will HAL make sure I don't use my drink allowance to get drinks for my new BFFs in the Piano Bar?

(I realize Norwegian has more to lose, as the line does not set a limit on the number of drinks per day with this promotion.)

I know I read somewhere on this board about the Explore 4 and how someone was able to get bottles of beer - unopened - to take back to the cabin. If that is the case, then someone could order his maximum drinks daily by getting a couple bottles of beer to bring back to the cabin -- and have a great party on the last night!

Edited by Oceanwench

I like that the NCL drink limit is higher than HAL's Explore4. If you like wine, the Explore4 only gives you one option by the glass.

----------------------

Friends who sail on NCL have said the drink pricing is a lot higher that HAL's.

I saw their price list a couple of years ago and I remember the wine started around $8.00 and the drinks were more like $9.00 and up. I was a bit surprised at the time. Maybe thinks have changed....

Not quite accurate e.g.

house Gin and Tonic $6.04 incl. gratuity

Bottle of Becks beer $6.04 incl. gratuity

1 Martini is priced at $10.25 - the rest are in the $7-$9.50 range.

Wine by the bottle on HAL is generally more expensive from my cursory glance at the posted wine lists (I'm not going to comment on the relative qualities of the wine list, not having sampled HAL's yet)