What has been your favorite ship?

Hi y'all!

I am going on my first cruise this December, and I seriously cannot wait! My DH and I will be celebrating our belated honeymoon (a year and a half after the wedding :P) on the Serenade of the Seas.

Though it is my first cruise, I have a feeling I will LOVE it! If that is so, I expect we will take many vacations from next year on (no more grad school for him!).

I was wondering what y'alls experience has been with the different size and class ships. Do you have a favorite size ship? What are some pros and cons? And do you have a favorite ship?

I am looking forward to hearing about your experiences!

My favorite ship is the Oasis. We had such an amazing vacation on her! I know a lot of people call this class of ship "monstrosities" because they are so large and not as connected with the sea as some would like, but I loved the ship and its layout, the pools, staff, food, entertainment, etc. When I asked my son what cruise he wanted to go on next year, he was 17 when we went on Oasis and is now turning 19, he said Oasis or Allure. There is so much to do if you want to stay busy or you can lounge and relax if that is what you prefer. The food was great, I loved Giovanni's, husband loved the MDR and my son loved Izumi. Whatever ship you go on, if you go with an open mind, knowing that crap happens on any ship/cruise line, you'll have a great time!

Hi y'all!

I am going on my first cruise this December, and I seriously cannot wait! My DH and I will be celebrating our belated honeymoon (a year and a half after the wedding :P) on the Serenade of the Seas.

Though it is my first cruise, I have a feeling I will LOVE it! If that is so, I expect we will take many vacations from next year on (no more grad school for him!).

I was wondering what y'alls experience has been with the different size and class ships. Do you have a favorite size ship? What are some pros and cons? And do you have a favorite ship?

You've picked a great ship for your first cruise. The Radiance class ships was one of my favourite ships up until last year when we went on the Independence. You'll enjoy the Serenade.

Hi y'all!

I'm glad you asked. Part of my reason for picking Freedom for my next cruise is my desire to decide which I like better the Oasis class (been on Allure twice) or Freedom, which I haven't been on since 2008. My wife and I loved our cruise on Allure in 2011 enough to do it again in 2013. FYI - We went on Jewel in 2012 and 14 and loved the smaller Radiance class as well. (Empty Nester's easy to please)

After the 2nd visit I started to compare with Freedom. My wife says Allure is her favorite, but I don't know that she remembers Freedom that well. Its so nice to refresh our memories this way.

We did two short cruises on Majesty and enjoyed ourselves. Didn't enjoy that small ship that much the third time, but had a good time with friends at Coco Cay and Key West, so I guess we are good at making the best.

I loved the Voyager class for our 1st and 4th cruises (Voyager and Navigator) Considering trying Explorer for 2016, may try a Quantam class in the future.

I haven't been on a vision class, may keep my eyes open for that, perhaps on a Panama Canal cruise.

Edited by BillOh

Thank you everyone! This is very helpful.

nbsjcruiser, thank you for the vote of confidence! Glad I picked a good starter ship. I think it will be good for us not to be too overwhelmed with a huge ship off the bat.

I'm glad you asked. Part of my reason for picking Freedom for my next cruise is my desire to decide which I like better the Oasis class (been on Allure twice) or Freedom, which I haven't been on since 2008. My wife and I loved our cruise on Allure in 2011 enough to do it again in 2013. FYI - We went on Jewel in 2012 and 14 and loved the smaller Radiance class as well. (Empty Nester's easy to please)

After the 2nd visit I started to compare with Freedom. My wife says Allure is her favorite, but I don't know that she remembers Freedom that well. Its so nice to refresh our memories this way.

We did two short cruises on Majesty and enjoyed ourselves. Didn't enjoy that small ship that much the third time, but had a good time with friends at Coco Cay and Key West, so I guess we are good at making the best.

I loved the Voyager class for our 1st and 4th cruises (Voyager and Navigator) Considering trying Explorer for 2016, may try a Quantam class in the future.

I haven't been on a vision class, may keep my eyes open for that, perhaps on a Panama Canal cruise.

Wow! Thank you for your in depth look at the different class ships you have experienced. I am sure you will have an amazing time on your upcoming cruise. :)

The Panama Canal cruise sounds like a dream. It is definitely on my bucket list! :)

Thank you so much again for your thoughts! It was very informative.

My DW and I have been on only 2 cruises so far, our 3rd is in Sept. on the Allure, those 2 cruises have been on the Freedom of the Seas. I love that ship, but that could change in September. We also have an 11 night Southern Caribbean cruise book for the Serenade in March 2016.

Really enjoyed Celebrity's S-class. We did an 11 night med cruise in June on board the Reflection. Wow what a cruise and ship.

I am looking forward to our next cruise on Allure. I've been want ing to try out the Oasis class ship for some time. They look great. But I expect I'll return to Celebrity for other cruises given the fact that the wife and I are DINKs and try to avoid cruises with kids.

Edited by Tommy3putts
edit

Wow! Thank you for your in depth look at the different class ships you have experienced. I am sure you will have an amazing time on your upcoming cruise. :)

The Panama Canal cruise sounds like a dream. It is definitely on my bucket list! :)

Thank you so much again for your thoughts! It was very informative.

Thank you for thanking me! :D I also do enjoy reading almost all reviews and seeing things from a different perspective. I will look forward to hearing what you think of Serenade when you get back.

Such a happy thread!

For us, it depends on our moods.

From the big-down....

Oasis-Allure- we keep mentioning how many things blow us away on these ships. The top highlight is hanging out in Central Park listening to music, having a glass of wine. Or just strolling through it. The neighbohoods, the aqua park, the shows, the dining options, etc. It's just an amazing ship. Yes, I know you can't see the sea all that often, but sometimes you do want a resort experience where you are in different places as the week progresses. The ships are just amazing.

Liberty (hope to do Freedom and Indy over the next two years)- this is kind of a mega ship with the view of the sea. With all of the options available, this is the one we keep coming back to as the actual favorite. Great sea based locations, great options, great ports, great shows, and great people.

Adventure/Navigator/Explorer- the Adventure was our second cruise, and at the time, it was the WOW ship. We still very much like these, but for the most part, it's about what is available in a close area. Short cruise with friends, long cruise from New Jersey, week out of San Juan. It's a smaller Liberty, and it seems to show it more than one would thing. Still a a great class of ships.

Brilliance/Serenade/Jewel- one of the most beautifly decorated ships- as in the elegance that one associates with the older ships. Yes, I know it's not a QEII, but it has a LOT of the feel of one (I think). It takes very little time to realize that this ship is all about the ocean. views, views, views. From the elevator that points out to the sea to the open deck of the Windjamer- the whole goal is to remind you that you are part of a ship at sea. The itineraries are interesting- some are about convienence- doing a cruise from Tampa, or just being in Puerto Rico at the right time- but others about the size and ability- going to Alaska and cruises from Boston to Canada. I also noted that some of the ports from San Juan are enough different than the Adventure that you kind of end up more on your own. And even with all of that, the ship options are really nice- lacking the Royal Prommedade and Ice rink- the water centric nature more than makes up for it. And it still has great dining options.

Rhapsody/Enchantment- similar to the Radience class, but just a little smaller. Not quite as water centric, but the crew really makes up for it. The week we spend on these ships (before the EN move to PC) puts you into places that big ships don't go. Two major highlights- the Endicott Arm to see a glacier, and parking in Conneticut for Independance Day. Two of our most favorite total cruises of all time were on these two ships.

Majesty/(Monarch)- people now think of these as small. But the Monarch was our first cruise back in 2001. got us into some great locations in the Caribbean. But for what she does now, the Majesty does it really well. For such a short cruise, the balcony isn't as important, nor is some of the more major ammenities. And since the crew knows it, they really try to make up for it. It is a good weekend outing, especially for the price.

So, in short:

Oasis/Allure- want to float an amazing resort

Liberty- real favorite

Adventure- great ship- but more for the convinence

Brilliance/Serneade- total sea going experience. lovely

Rhapsody- so good for the specialty cruises, we will do her in Europe

Majesty- perfect for the weekend get away (Enchantment, too).

That felt good to type.

Such a happy thread!

For us, it depends on our moods.

From the big-down....

Oasis-Allure- we keep mentioning how many things blow us away on these ships. The top highlight is hanging out in Central Park listening to music, having a glass of wine. Or just strolling through it. The neighbohoods, the aqua park, the shows, the dining options, etc. It's just an amazing ship. Yes, I know you can't see the sea all that often, but sometimes you do want a resort experience where you are in different places as the week progresses. The ships are just amazing.

Liberty (hope to do Freedom and Indy over the next two years)- this is kind of a mega ship with the view of the sea. With all of the options available, this is the one we keep coming back to as the actual favorite. Great sea based locations, great options, great ports, great shows, and great people.

Adventure/Navigator/Explorer- the Adventure was our second cruise, and at the time, it was the WOW ship. We still very much like these, but for the most part, it's about what is available in a close area. Short cruise with friends, long cruise from New Jersey, week out of San Juan. It's a smaller Liberty, and it seems to show it more than one would thing. Still a a great class of ships.

Brilliance/Serenade/Jewel- one of the most beautifly decorated ships- as in the elegance that one associates with the older ships. Yes, I know it's not a QEII, but it has a LOT of the feel of one (I think). It takes very little time to realize that this ship is all about the ocean. views, views, views. From the elevator that points out to the sea to the open deck of the Windjamer- the whole goal is to remind you that you are part of a ship at sea. The itineraries are interesting- some are about convienence- doing a cruise from Tampa, or just being in Puerto Rico at the right time- but others about the size and ability- going to Alaska and cruises from Boston to Canada. I also noted that some of the ports from San Juan are enough different than the Adventure that you kind of end up more on your own. And even with all of that, the ship options are really nice- lacking the Royal Prommedade and Ice rink- the water centric nature more than makes up for it. And it still has great dining options.

Rhapsody/Enchantment- similar to the Radience class, but just a little smaller. Not quite as water centric, but the crew really makes up for it. The week we spend on these ships (before the EN move to PC) puts you into places that big ships don't go. Two major highlights- the Endicott Arm to see a glacier, and parking in Conneticut for Independance Day. Two of our most favorite total cruises of all time were on these two ships.

Majesty/(Monarch)- people now think of these as small. But the Monarch was our first cruise back in 2001. got us into some great locations in the Caribbean. But for what she does now, the Majesty does it really well. For such a short cruise, the balcony isn't as important, nor is some of the more major ammenities. And since the crew knows it, they really try to make up for it. It is a good weekend outing, especially for the price.

So, in short:

Oasis/Allure- want to float an amazing resort

Liberty- real favorite

Adventure- great ship- but more for the convinence

Brilliance/Serneade- total sea going experience. lovely

Rhapsody- so good for the specialty cruises, we will do her in Europe

Majesty- perfect for the weekend get away (Enchantment, too).

That felt good to type.

*Applause*! Thank you SO much for this! I am going to copy and paste this for future reference. Each ship sounds so great in their own ways, and I am looking forward to trying many different ships!

I am so happy to hear the Radiance class ships are lovely. I think that will be just perfect for us!!

Thank you again. I really, really appreciate you taking the time to educate a newbie like me. :)