New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

4 minutes ago, LivetoTravel88 said:

First time cruisers on the upcoming Niew Statendam trip to the Norway Fjords in August: 

1) Tips: I keep reading that we need to tip our steward, room service, and others. How much is appropriate? What type of currency should we have on hand (Euro, DKK, USD, NOK...?) How often and when? When is something covered by the gratuity that we pay for the end and when do we use cash?

2) What electrical plugs adapter do we need on the ship? European? British?

3) Is there a safe in our room for placing our passport etc.

4) Is there self-service laundry on board? If so, do they supply soap?

My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I searched and could not find it easily. TIA

I'll take a stab at this........

1). Daily tip charges are charged auto to your onboard account.  And bar tabs include the 18% tip.  It is not required/expected to tip further but some of us do pass along $$$ to folks that have given great service.

2). Adapter for ship.  None need.  Just like home/USA.

3). Safe in your room?  Yes

4). no self service laundry but for a daily charge (guessing around $11???) per cabin, you can have clothes laundered for you.....Also, a $20 (???) charge for a small laundry bag.  The service is great.  Others will chime in to confirm the prices.  Look on the forum if you need more laundry details....It's a frequent, detailed topic. 

Enjoy the Nieuw Statendam.....A great ship.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, LivetoTravel88 said:

There will be a few (2-3, maybe?) US plugs in the cabin. There will also be European style plugs, if you need more outlets; these are for 220 appliances. I keep an adapter in my carry-on luggage to make travel simpler. 

17 minutes ago, LivetoTravel88 said:

4) The ship arrives at 7:00 AM on Aug 9. How quickly can we expect to disembark? I have a business meeting that morning in Copenhagen.

Assuming the ship is on time, self-disembark usually begins about 7:30 +/- 15 minutes. After that groups are called by disembarkation baggage tag color, with the last passengers disembarking about 9:30 +/- that same 15 minutes. 

• Like 1

Thanks all for your answers. This is very helpful.

I have a few more questions:

1) I am reading on boards that I should bring a water bottle, but then I am reading that plastic bottles are not allowed. Does that include Yeti or Camelback hard plastic flasks? What is the rationale as I usually carry a small Arrowhead bottle that I refill when I travel because it is lighweight.

2) My husband and I have a signature beverage package that was included in our Costco cruise purchase. It says any drink under $11 and up to 15 drinks a day. Is that 15 per cabin or per person? 

3) I am assuming self-disembark is carry-on only. Is there a way to request earlier disembarkation if you are in a later group and have baggage?  How would one go about that?

4) We will be disembarking in Copenhagen, I assume that there will be lines for Ubers and transportation into town with so many people disembarking. Any best practices for ensuring we can get to town without delay so I can get to my business meeting on time?

TIA.

4 minutes ago, LivetoTravel88 said:

2) My husband and I have a signature beverage package that was included in our Costco cruise purchase. It says any drink under $11 and up to 15 drinks a day. Is that 15 per cabin or per person? 

15 drinks per person.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LivetoTravel88 said:

1) I am reading on boards that I should bring a water bottle, but then I am reading that plastic bottles are not allowed. Does that include Yeti or Camelback hard plastic flasks? What is the rationale as I usually carry a small Arrowhead bottle that I refill when I travel because it is lighweight.

You can bring any of these, the only plastic bottles not allowed are one use disposable types.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LivetoTravel88 said:

4) We will be disembarking in Copenhagen, I assume that there will be lines for Ubers and transportation into town with so many people disembarking. Any best practices for ensuring we can get to town without delay so I can get to my business meeting on time?

Book a private transport and you will have a car and driver waiting for you. We use Welcome Pickups, which you can book online.

Welcome - Making travel easy, friendly, personal (welcomepickups.com)

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, LivetoTravel88 said:

3) I am assuming self-disembark is carry-on only. Is there a way to request earlier disembarkation if you are in a later group and have baggage?  How would one go about that?

Yes you can change this by going to Guest services once onboard.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Terezush said:

Travel agent? We're new to Holland America but not to cruising. When we booked with Disney and a Carnival we used travel agents specific to those cruise lines. For Holland, is it best to use one of their agents? On board credit is nice but I also don't want to ever have to hassle with calling Holland America direct if there is an issue. I also want to get the best deal and have insider tips since we're new to Holland America. Any advice is appreciated! 

You might find this article helpful in trying to decide whether to book directly with Holland America or with a travel agent: https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/what-to-expect-on-a-cruise-booking-a-cruise-with-a-travel-agent

There are also many threads discussing the pro and cons of booking directly vs. booking with a TA. Given your comment that "I also don't want to ever have to hassle with calling Holland America direct if there is an issue", I'll mention that one of the benefits of booking with a TA is that they assume the responsibility of dealing with the cruise line. In fact, if you book with a TA, the cruise line won't deal with you directly.

The bottom line from my perspective is that a cruise line's booking agents are working for the cruise line, while a TA is working for you. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

There are also many threads discussing the pro and cons of booking directly vs. booking with a TA. Given your comment that "I also don't want to ever have to hassle with calling Holland America direct if there is an issue", I'll mention that one of the benefits of booking with a TA is that they assume the responsibility of dealing with the cruise line. In fact, if you book with a TA, the cruise line won't deal with you directly.

The bottom line from my perspective is that a cruise line's booking agents are working for the cruise line, while a TA is working for you. 

I agree with you 100%. The cruise line booking agents are paid by the cruise line and not the customers she also answers to only her employer, the cruise line. My TA works only for me and her customers, and if she fails to take care of my needs or requests, she knows she will lose my business.  I have been with her for 15 years. For the same reason I would never buy a house or property from the seller's agent.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Congrats on your selection and welcome to HAL!

Wow what a great review!    I've bookmarked so I can watch it several times before next July.  Thank you for taking the time to do this for everyone, 

7 hours ago, LivetoTravel88 said:

Self-disembark is not restricted to carry-on bags only. The only limit is how much you can carry/drag all by yourselves. It's one of the reasons that self-disembark goes first---to get people with several bags out of everyone's way right off the bat. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LivetoTravel88 said:

RuthC has responded to your question about self disembarkation.

If you don’t wish to do that, you will get a form in your cabin a few days before disembarkation to fill out which will include disembarkation times.  If you wish to do that, everyone in the group must fill our the same time and link with names and cabin numbers IIRC.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, LivetoTravel88 said:

1)... I keep reading that we need to tip our steward, room service, and others. How much is appropriate? What type of currency should we have on hand (Euro, DKK, USD, NOK...?) How often and when? When is something covered by the gratuity that we pay for the end and when do we use cash?

5) Is there self-service laundry on board?

1)Stewards (both cabin and dining) as well as behind the scenes people like cooks & kitchen "help", laundry workers, and even the lifeboat crew all share in the daily hotel charge. Bartenders and servers are tipped by the 18% added to drinks. Spa by their added gratuity which I think is more than 18%! Some people want to tip those they see or who have provided help above and beyond, some amount extra: US$ or Euros for cruises to a EU country would probably be easier for the recipients. 

Room service is handled by volunteers, who do so hoping for the chance of tips. US$1 for coffee service or $2-3 for a tray-full is my habit. Have the cash handy, as they do not linger! 

2)as others have said, US/north American 110V and European 220V outlets are provided. There may be USB sockets near the bed. If you want to bring a 'splitter' or power strip, make sure it does not have surge protection; it is a fire risk with the ship's electric! 

5)HAL's laundry service is very very good. You can write special instructions (even air-dry!) on the laundry slip. Unlimited is most convenient (understand that you pay for every day of your cruise not just days you use) and by-the-bag is probably most economical - it's a good-sized cloth bag you can really stuff with anything that fits. For cruises with either end in Europe, the rates WERE $9/day/cabin unlimited and $30/bag; they may have increased recently. 

• Like 3

On 7/16/2023 at 1:43 PM, afdds said:

Thank you guys for all the help.  We decided to do the Seattle RD trip because I'm hoping to get the SW companion pass into Seattle.  Also if we enjoy the cruise, next time I want to book the one way with extra few days in the interior of Alaska.  HAL has so many different ones.  Booked on the Eurodam in July 20204

Hope you caught the new sale that just started 🙂 By the way, depending on when your flight departs Seattle you might want to take advantage of this cool free offer from the city of Seattle: https://www.portseattle.org/page/port-valet-enjoy-seattle-luggage-free

Edited by Gretchendz
  • Like 1

Thanks all for your answers to my questions. As a first time cruiser, this is extremely helpful.

Another question. My boarding pass says, "Pack all necessary prescription and over-the-counter medications (Tylenol, Imodium) you may need in original containers and in carry-on."

I travel with many supplements e.g. vitamins, allergy meds, and pepcid in a 7 day pill box and use a label maker for each compartment. I also throw extra Tums,  and other supplements in a baggie in my purse for space in case I need it.  Do they really care about original containers for non-prescription? Or is this only for carry-on when you embark?

I've traveled all around the world and no one has questioned me. Carrying around the bottles would take too far much space. How do others manage this?

If the Imodium is in the original unopened foil packet and not in the box, do they care?

Edited by LivetoTravel88
typo

9 minutes ago, LivetoTravel88 said:

Thanks all for your answers to my questions. As a first time cruiser, this is extremely helpful.

Another question. My boarding pass says, "Pack all necessary prescription and over-the-counter medications (Tylenol, Imodium) you may need in original containers and in carry-on."

I travel with many supplements e.g. vitamins, allergy meds, and pepcid in a 7 day pill box and use a label maker for each compartment. I also throw extra Tums,  and other supplements in a baggie in my purse for space in case I need it.  Do they really care about original containers for non-prescription? Or is this only for carry-on when you embark?

I've traveled all around the world and no one has questioned me. Carrying around the bottles would take too far much space. How do others manage this?

If the Imodium is in the original unopened foil packet and not in the box, do they care?

We also use 7 day pill boxes for both prescription and non-prescription meds and in all the years of cruising not once had a problem when boarding with them.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We also use 7 day pill boxes for both prescription and non-prescription meds and in all the years of cruising not once had a problem when boarding with them.

@LivetoTravel88Same - I use a pill organizer for 14 day cruises and never had an issue no matter the port, cruiseline or ship.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

@LivetoTravel88Same - I use a pill organizer for 14 day cruises and never had an issue no matter the port, cruiseline or ship.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

Last year we were on two cruises in Italy and gone for over 30days, so I had a 30 day pill organizer that I took in my backpack when we boarded both cruises.

• Like 2

DW and I each use a small Eagle Creek packing cube to keep our meds in at home. On Sunday morning, I take the cubes out of the cupboard and fill our 7-day pill boxes. When we travel, we simply grab the packing cubes, add the pill boxes, and put them in our suitcases, knowing that we haven't accidentally left any of our meds behind. When either one of us has had to be admitted to a hospital, either at home or during a cruise on one occasion, grabbing the bag knowing all the meds were there made the process very simple.

Another advantage is that if we are delayed heading home at the end of our travels, we always have an extra couple of weeks' worth of our meds. If any prescription is running low before the start of our trip, we renew it to ensure be have that two-week buffer. As a pill container takes up the same amount of space in the packing cub whether it has 7 pills or 21 or more, there's no downside to having the extra amount.

• Like 2

Just like traveling by air, we always keep our meds in our carry-on, in case our checked baggage goes astray.  As for the "original containers", there are two considerations:

First, if you get stuck onboard or in a foreign country and run out of your meds (remember COVID?), you will want the original containers or a copy of the labels, or a copy of the prescription so that you can get more.

Second, if you are embarking or disembarking in a foreign country, you might need proof of what these meds are and that they are legally yours and not something that might be prohibited in those countries. In some countries, customs will go through your stuff looking for illegal drugs. 

• Like 1

Having original med bottles will make replacement easier if necessary.  Good luck trying to convince the Med Center that your statin drugs fell out of your pill organizer and you need more.  Pics of your med bottles are a good idea if using a pill organizer. 

The point of the boarding pass note was to keep your meds under your control at all times.

You will not have to open your luggage, either at the terminal Security Screening, or onboard, unless a scan detected a prohibited item (knives, guns, extension cords, etc.)  Your meds will never be seen unless they are packed in the same bag as your pocket knife and you are requested to open the bag.  There is no concern about open OTC containers, plastic bags of Tums, plastic bags of vitamins, etc..

FWIW there is no issue bringing plastic disposable water/soda containers onboard unless they are filled. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Twice while out of the country my husband has needed prescriptions to be replaced. Once he forgot one of the prescriptions and another time our nephew, who was staying at our rental house in Mexico with us, stole several of husbands pills and apparently sold them in the nearby town! Both times our doctor faxed new scripts to the local doctor who wrote new prescriptions for us.