Age has nothing to do with it

1of4

I have seen threads pop up from time to time questioning the age of the "average" HAL cruiser and if they would "fit" or be "board" out of their minds.

I was just working away and I guess my mind wondered :rolleyes: and I found myself thinking the age of the fellow cruisers has nothing to do with how much YOU will enjoy YOUR cruise. It is your state of mind that is important.

I have shocked TAs when saying our family of 4 want to book a HAL cruise. I did my homework and yes I did chose HAL. You have to know yourself and what you want out of a vacation. We have tried Princess and Disney but we want HAL for our budget and what we want out of our family vacation.

I knew, even for our first cruise when DS was 7 and DD 10 that we did not want rock climbing walls, blaring music, 3,000+ other cruisers joining us, ice staking rinks, and no set time dining. We didn't want to abandon the kids to a club for 18 hours a day, nor did we want to drink to excess and party until the wee hours. We didn't want contests on deck nor multiple announcements over the PA system. Not making any statement, just not what we wanted.

Our lives are busy. We have little family time during the regular work week. We wanted a children's club that I could trust, we wanted to dress for dinner, we wanted to have deck space to walk, we wanted deck chairs that we could sit in and look out and enjoy the destination, we wanted cabins that accommodate 4, and we wanted quiet indoor spaces so we could regenerate our minds and be together.

The only item HAL may be behind is having cabins for 4. I am not counting the Neptune Suites as the 3rd and 4th are one sofa bed and that just doesn't work for a family with a boy and a girl.

We have met some wonderful people. We have enjoyed some quiet time together, we have enjoyed dinner in the MDR each evening and our kids love Club HAL.

Perfect fit for us. Not for all. But HAL can't help fit you into it; you have to know what you want out of a vacation/cruise and look at what else is out there and then choose the cruise line that best fits what you want.

Age has nothing to do with it.

So true.

My husband and I have been fortunate to have sailed 4 times with HAL. We are in our 50s now, and always seem to 'fit' with the passengers we meet on HAL.

I cringe every time I read that HAL is for 'old folks'. The ages of other passengers has nothing to do with us enjoying our cruise. Or, maybe it does. At least we don't have to put up with drunken parties and belly flop contests.

I totally agree with you.

When we first started to cruise we met some wonderful older people and kept in contact with them for several. Even planned cruises together. Sadly they have passed away.

Now we are older and have met a lot of younger cruisers -- a few we still keep in contact with. And who knows -- maybe we will sail with them again sometime -- they have to moved to other cruise lines.

So true.

My husband and I have been fortunate to have sailed 4 times with HAL. We are in our 50s now, and always seem to 'fit' with the passengers we meet on HAL.

I cringe every time I read that HAL is for 'old folks'. The ages of other passengers has nothing to do with us enjoying our cruise. Or, maybe it does. At least we don't have to put up with drunken parties and belly flop contests.

To some extent, age does matter. Or at least the way the cruise line views different ages. The lines with the loud bars and belly flop contests are chasing what they see as the "younger" market.

Both HAL and Cunard have a reputation for an older crowd. And I'm willing to bet that the average age on HAL or Cunard is higher than the average age on NCL or Carnival. The problem is that some people equate "older" with "old fogey" or "nursing home," and that isn't necessarily true. (Except for my recent US river cruise, but that's a long story)

When we started cruising, there were a lot of people considerably older than we were, especially on Cunard. Maybe we're old at heart, but we like a grownup atmosphere, not spring break at sea. We've inched closer to the supposed HAL demographic, but at no time did we think much about the ages of our fellow passengers. Most of the older cruisers we've met have been people I'd describe as having more years of experience living.

I do agree. We began sailing on HAL years ago (in our 50's) and mostly with very mixed ages. The longer cruises tend to attract an older crowd, which makes sense as we have time to do them now.;) And that would be true no matter which cruise line. And there are cruise lines to suit most tastes and needs - HAL is a good fit for me.

Edited by Lizzie68

And when you find a "cruise style" you lke, don't "diss" people who don't like what you like. (I see a lot of that on the boards.) There is something out there for everyone, and if you want MUTS, rock climbing walls, and a sea of balconies (never mixing with your fellow passengers), that's O.K. I would never put anyone down for liking that style of cruising. And I don't understand some posters who will put down HAL because it's a slower, quieter experience (at least on the longer cruises). To each his/her own. I have tried five other lines, a couple of which no longer sail, and am happiest on HAL.

Thanks 1 of 4 for expressing how many of us feel about this age thing so well. I personally want to be around all ages of people from young to old. I get tired of people saying is Hal to old for us, that would be just like if I ask if some cruise line was to young for us. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.:confused:

DH and I love HAL - but we always caution others that it might not be for them. I agree age has nothing to do with it ... it's the lifestyle you want on a cruise ship that counts.

In 2006 we took my DM, age 80 at that time, on a one week cruise for Christmas. DH and I were in our late 50's. While she had a nice time that week, she never cruised HAL again. She said it was not her "cup of tea" and was somewhat too sedate. She went back to her beloved RCCL.

BruceMuzz, a HD, posted this on the Princess board in 2013. I've seen him post the same thing on the HAL board in the past

For the past 8 consecutive years the average passenger on the Princess Fleet, worldwide, year round, is 58 years old.

For the past 7 consecutive years the average passenger on the Holland America Fleet, worldwide, year round, is 57 years old.

Friends of our were on a Eurodam cruise on a European cruise in July 2013 and saw more children on that ship then on a few of the Disney cruises they've been on.

Link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=40273567&postcount=74

I've said this before, but I often laugh that my parents (85 and 90 and use walkers) will only sail on Princess because HAL's passengers are too old.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unlikely to be true - they may say it, but if they "ONLY sail on Princess" they clearly have no idea of what they are talking about.

Of course the "average" age on HAL is higher than the average on lines which cater heavily to children and 20-30 something's -- but the "nearly dead" cliche is inappropriate --- there has regularly been plenty of 40-60's age group on every sailing we've done.

Yep, as young seniors (60s) we know that if we go to a HAL bar after 11 there will be a wild crowd of perhaps 10 passengers. The other 1200+ (depending on the ship) will generally be in bed by 10. HAL really does provide a great late night atmosphere for those who are sleeping :).

Hank

We are a family of four with two kids in their early teens and have sailed HAL on last three cruises and agree with you that HAL suits us from the time we wake up (by the heated pool; we really enjoy not having to fight for a pool chair) to the end of supper.

Where we might have a little difference of opinion where age may make a difference is we have found that HAL's entertainment (production shows) seems to target an older crowd (the shows really do not appeal to anyone in our family) and there were not too many other options (for example, in the screening room they would play the same movie over and over for the entire day; they would not change it up or allow for a passenger vote.

The fitness centre closes at 9 (whereas it closes at 11 on some other cruise lines we have been on) and the berth in the cabin, although large, is set up so you tend to hit your head if you were to get up during the night.

That said, considering all factors, including price (HAL has some great rates for January) HAL is the line we will be sailing again this year.

My daughter has cruised with us since she was an infant on a variety of cruise lines. Her reaction on her first HAL cruise at the ripe old age of 25: "Mom, you have been holding out on me!!!"

She would rather do a HAL cruise than a raucous, drunken, bad food Carnival cruise She says she doesn't drink enough to think either the food or entertainment was any good on her two Carnival cruises (did a second one to confirm her first impression).

Bravo 1 of 4

Our first cruise was a Christmas cruise in 1980 on the old Sun Princess (aka Spirit of London). This was very early Love Boat days. We were just tottering on the borderline of our 30th birthdays, and had not had children yet. Our TA was sure we would love the cruise.

Well, our cabin was twice the size of the queen bed that resided there. We had to take turns getting dressed. We could have lived with that had there been space somewhere on board where we could quietly and comfortably read and commune with the sea - but the staff was h--l bent on getting us to "have some fun". If I sat down with a book, anywhere, I was harassed -- "don't you want to have some fun?" They never left us alone.

It was over ten years before we tried to cruise again. We took our 8 year old son on a Christmas cruise on the old Regent Sun. Wow! We all had a wonderful time. When Regency went bankrupt we tried HAL. Our son liked that cruise best!

It is not only your state of mind - it is what you enjoy. We enjoy the well travelled clientele of HAL - we do not judge folks by their age. And we enjoy the elegant, sophisticated and quiet atmosphere aboard HAL ships.

I've always wondered where the idea that HAL is for the elderly comes from as I have never experienced that on a cruise I've taken. On my last cruise there were enough young families with kids that the Lido pool was busy all day. I've always felt somewhere in the middle in the age bracket.

Debbie

Another factor under considerationshould be which cruise?/ How LONG? AND comparing a week's cruise off Florida is hardly comparable to 7 weeks into Asia. HARDLY comparable BECAUSE the clientel will be totally different but so will the "problems" - Its like comparing apples and mosquitos....and its an assumption that "wrong" on ANY cruise line with the possible exception of Disney. [ and frankly I love Disney but not to cruise!]