Book Specific Cabin or Guarantee

sail7seas

I've wondered for a while........

About what percentage of us book specific cabin by number and about

how many book guarantee?

I also wonder if the percentage remains about the same regardless categories booked. Do people in Suites book more specific cabins vs. Inside or Oceanview?

This is our first cruise on HAL and based on reading the forums we booked a SZ guarantee and got a real nice upsell to a very nice mid-ship SA 30 days before sailing later this month on the Eurodam.

So based on my very limited experience I would go for the guarantee.

Good Luck in your decision making process.

We booked a specific cabin on every cruise save for one we just booked at the last minute. We'll have to see how it works out. (I guess it will give me something to write about.)

There are locations aboard a ship that I prefer over others. For an outside stateroom, I will book the lowest possible deck, as close to the middle as I can get, and try to obtain a stateroom in the category that is directly next to the stateroom that is in the next highest category.

For a veranda or some category of a suite stateroom, I again try for a stateroom as close to mid-ship as possible and at a price I am willing to pay. With the recent re-classification of stateroom categories, I have found myself in a more forward or aft veranda than what I would choose, but from all aspects of my experience with those locations, they have been most acceptable.

I do prefer Port side staterooms particular on the lower deck for an outside forward stateroom. Reason: the stairway that leads down a deck to the tender platform area in the forward foyer often allows for hot/humid air to invade that part of the forward Starboard side of that bottom passenger deck. I do not want to risk the environmental condition in a cabin I might have near that area to be negatively affected.

We're all over the place. Most of the time, I try to book a specific cabin to guarantee sleep. On this one, the 42 Maasdam Atlantic Adventure, I booked a guarantee because the price was too dear on a veranda. However, we received an upsell today, which we took, and are happy people!:) If we are taking a Southern Caribbean cruise for 14 or 21 days, I don't care if I'm in a quiet inside cabin. However, with the number of sea days we are facing, I thought this would be best. We always book Holland America, love the line!

About what percentage of us book specific cabin by number and about how many book guarantee?
For us, it depends on the ship and the itinerary.

In recent years, we've been on Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam a number of times, and each time have specifically booked an aft balcony.

But on Statendam and Rotterdam we've been happy to have a guarantee. No upgrade on the former and we were happy with the grade we'd booked which delivered everything that we wanted; but we got a pretty satisfying upgrade-followed-by-upsell on the latter which will be hard to beat.

how many book guarantee?

I also wonder if the percentage remains about the same regardless categories booked. Do people in Suites book more specific cabins vs. Inside or Oceanview?

We always book specific cabins, usually aft wraparound cabins on the Rotterdam Deck of Vista and Signature ships. We like to know where will be staying for our cruises.

On our upcoming Eurodam cruise, we booked an SC guarantee. We have never done this before and it remains to be seen how it works out. We had booked our normal aft corner on Westerdam, but had to make a late change to Eurodam due to a schedule snafu and all the aft corners were sold already. We chose the SC gty because it was $800 less than an SA and we're not all that concerned about the location. Whatever we end up with, I'm sure it will be satisfactory.

We always book a specific cabin -- no guarantees for us.

Even when we missed our Ryndam cruise this past February because of the snow storm, we were able to book a specific cabin for 3 weeks later on the Nieuw Amsterdam and in the area we like -- SA right at the back doors of the Neptune Lounge.

Part 1: My philosophy is to be in any cabin on the best ship I can afford, so on HAL I will book either an inside of OV depending on the difference in price. On the HAL ships I sail a verandah is MUCH more expensive than an OV so I've never booked one.

Part 2: I try to book a specific cabin, but do a lot of segments of longer cruises so I often get only a guarantee. I usually say I'm willing to accept an upgrade and got one from an inside to an OV on my last HAL cruise (Statendam).

Roy

We normally book a specific cabin whether we are booking 9 months out or 30 days out. When we book really close to sailing, we have booked a guarantee and gotten a nice upgrade followed by an upsell but I believe it was on a cruise that we not selling well. You never know.

I try to book a specific cabin. If that cabin is not available, I will book a guarantee. More often than not, I book well over a year out so the chances that my preferred cabins are not available is lessened.

I prefer ocean-view cabins on the lower decks, port side, and as far forward as possible while still having a window (instead of portholes).

how many book guarantee?

Specific cabins unobstructed oceanview

Most of the time I go with a guarantee, because we usually book less than two months out. We like ocean views. We have had a balcony once.

I booked a cruise in November and for $20.00 extra it was worth picking the location.

I would say 90% of the time we go with guarantees.

When we do a guarantee we book an obstructed view and have been upgraded to a full view except once.

Edited by liketraveling