Why does Celebrity Have the WORST Entertainment on board?

Feelin' Nauti'

Sounds like I'll avoid the the entertainment, have a late dinner and a couple drinks.

Too bad their entertainment is hit or miss. I prefer a lively poolside experience (no belly flops) but a festive setting with good nightly entertainment. Maybe my X selection is questionable at this time. I don't need a geriatric cruise but I'll have fun anyway, be damned! At least Ill be with good friends.

Edited by blindrid

My DH and I used to sit in the front of the theatre, now we sit toward the back or the balcony near an isle. If we find a show that we do not like (we dislike jugglers and circus type performers,) we leave early and do something else. As you say- you cannot love every show- But we will no longer suffer through things we dislike.
All these posts prove is that people like different things. Just because someone likes or dislikes the entertainment, doesn't mean that the person behind them will feel the same. I don't like string quartets, jugglers or A Cappela groups, but that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be those type of entertainment on Celebrity (even though I would love it if they didn't have them), it just means that that isn't for everyone and there should be other entertainment that others can enjoy. In other words, variety is the spice of life. Edited by NLH Arizona

Some of you people need to get out a bit more.

I have managed ships for all the major cruise lines.

Currently Princess and HAL are in a dead heat for worst entertainment at sea.

Currently HAL has the advantage with old ships, lack of technology, and low entertainment budgets.

Take one HAL or Princess cruise and you will be begging Celebrity to take you back.

I agree and I don't consider dancing fountains entertainment. I can get that kind of performance at any mall or just by standing outside of of an office building.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can only say that on the Equinox TA in April we had the best entertainment we've ever had on any cruise that I've been on - and we've been on a lot. Everything was truly outstanding, at least everyone in our group loved it. Hoping for similar experience on the Silhouette when we board on 10/18!!

Hmmm we cruised in 2012 on Grand Princess and they had nice entertainment. All kinds - production shows, lounge music, comedy.

By the way Princess very often brings local entertainers on board, which is pretty interesting.

IMHO NCL and MSC usually have good quality entertainment. RCI is hit or miss. Worst was on Brilliance last year during NE-Canada cruise.

Currently HAL has the advantage with old ships, lack of technology, and low entertainment budgets.

Take one HAL or Princess cruise and you will be begging Celebrity to take you back.

I beg to differ,Princess always has 5-7 things happening throughout the ship... Unless that's changed since my last cruise....

Haven't sailed on Hal, like to one day...

I beg to differ' date='Princess always has 5-7 things happening throughout the ship... Unless that's changed since my last cruise....

Haven't sailed on Hal, like to one day...[/quote']

Hmmm we cruised in 2012 on Grand Princess and they had nice entertainment. All kinds - production shows, lounge music, comedy.

By the way Princess very often brings local entertainers on board, which is pretty interesting.

IMHO NCL and MSC usually have good quality entertainment. RCI is hit or miss. Worst was on Brilliance last year during NE-Canada cruise.

I agree.

The problem on Princess is usually WHICH thing to choose amongst all of the offerings!

The local entertainment and lecturers brought on board are outstanding!

We quite like the amount of entertainment during the day, its low key, not rowdy, and suits us (I am 43) I like to join in with Zumba, and we have participated in pool volleyball etc. its enough but not over the top. The evening entertainment is excellent, especially the cirque style show.

Be prepared to pay for that Zumba next time you sail X. It's not free anymore.

Really? It is always at the pool deck- how can it be restricted? What ship did you sail on? We had it on the Summit in August.

Thanks,

Since Canyon ranch took over it's no longer on the pool deck, it's in the gym and there is a fee ($11/class if I remember correctly) :(

Some of you people need to get out a bit more.

I have managed ships for all the major cruise lines.

Disagree. We have sailed all three lines recently, including Celebrity Solstice in Australia in March, and Princess in June. We found Princess to have far more variety in the evening, running in multiple venues. Celebrity seems to have reduced its evening entertainment to primarily the main show and some music in the lounges. Celebrity seems to have settled on a model for people to spend most time in the evenings in the drinking venues. The Celebrity entertainment cutbacks was very obvious from our previous Celebrity cruises. This was even before some of the more recent reductions in CD staff and the Canyon Spa charging for Zumba.

Shame on Celebrity! So petty. What next, charging for a lounge chair and towel?

Isn't that like saying I hope we don't get a flat just before you hear; thump, thump, thump, thump as you're driving?

OP if you think Celebrity is the worst, you have limited experience. :)

My all time favorite WORST entertainment was on Admiral Cruise Line just before they filed bankruptsy. The Captain playing his accordion solo was the whole entertainment one night. :eek: Unfortunately I'm not joking.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I'm not a big TV watcher and find most entertainment rather bland. But even having said that the entertainment on Celebrity has been good, and even surprising.

On NCL they had the white hot party, newlywed game, and that other adult oriented game show that they do. It's at the very least somewhat entertaining to watch people act foolish. They also would have their comic, who does a routine in the main theater, do a more adult routine elsewhere. I was expecting anything to wild and was surprise to hear a few passengers yelling for him to swear and get raunchier.

On Celebrity the entertainment in the theater can start out with a so-so musical production and end with a great cirque show near the end of the cruise. I've also had some pleasant surprises with other shows offered. During our last cruise the the rock vocals group was ok, but the fusion violinist was amazing! And the late night comedy shows? They do not holdback and even had me blushing!

All that really matters is that my GF is entertained. She likes the entertainment Celebrity offers.

I beg to differ' date='Princess always has 5-7 things happening throughout the ship... Unless that's changed since my last cruise....

Haven't sailed on Hal, like to one day...[/quote']

Hey Nauti -- long time, no see (or is that sea)! :D Had to swear off Floataway, some time ago -- I was spending WA-AY too much time there! ;)

But, re: live entertainment on X, I would normally tend to agree with you -- it can be somewhat lame. But, we just did the Summit Bayonne to Bermuda run, last month -- and I was blown away by the live entertainment, on that itinerary! This season, they alternated between "54 Below" and the Tenors of Rock. We saw Telly Leung (from the original closing cast of Rent) from 54 Below -- a great performance!

And, the regular live entertainment on the ship seemed to be a notch above X's average offerings. Jordan Peterson -- who we've enjoyed seeing on other ships, a very good flamenco guitarist, and a young duo, called the "Lost Boys" -- to list just a few. Basically, everywhere we went on the ship, there was good, live entertainment. I even loved the late-night comedy show (Sin City) -- and I'm not normally a big fan of "adult comedy".

I'm just hoping that Summit's live entertainment will be as good next spring, when we go back to Bermuda! :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

I just finished the New England / Canada cruise on the Summit and found the entertainment to be very good. The individual performers for the most part were excellent. The production shows were very good also, albeit a bit over-ambitious for my part with too many songs. I found myself wondering when they were going to end. I can't speak for the lounge performers since I really don't bother going to any of those places on the ship.

Entertainment varies all the time. You could be on a cruise one week and love the entertainment. On the same cruise the next week, the entertainment is usually different. I never judge a cruise by the entertainment. It can be a matter of what is available. Over the years, I have seen good and bad.

I did think there was much less in the way of activities & entertainment on the transpacific cruise I just got off of, compared to the transatlantic I took on Celebrity in 2009.

The cruise in 2009 had free classes in the gym that were well attended, challenging, and open to all. Offered mid morning and mid afternoon, not only at 7 or 8AM which is too early for me to want to do on vacation & too early for me to be able to do with my back problems. This cruise, any class had a sign up limit of the first 25 participants. That meant anyone signing up after #25 were on a "wait list."

The first day I took zumba, it was charged for & no one seemed to care how many people crammed in to the class. After this first class though the 25 person limit was enforced for fee based classes as well. For the most part, the fee-based classes I saw had room left for more participants. The zumba, pilates, yoga & cycling classes were $12 each plus gratuity. This isn't out of line with other cruise lines, it is less than carnival charges. But I think they need to hold the classes in a different location if the room in the gym is so puny it can only hold 25. Not enough considering the number of passengers on board.

One class, (a free stretching class) the first 15 minutes of a 50 minute class were spent with the instructor approaching each participant and asking them to point to their signature. People were asked to leave, I've never seen this on a cruise before.

Of the production shows, I did feel there was a drop in the quality of the production over what I had seen on the Century years before. I thought the quality of dancers I had seen on Carnival & HAL were good, although the recent change on Carnival to adding multi-media to the production shows is a terrible cut back. On my recent cruise on the Millennium, the most petite of the dancers on this ship was great imho, along with most of the men on stage. Some of the other dancers with less training or talent than I've seen in the past - seemed more remarkable for being tall pretty / leggy blondes than for stage performance.

Edited by CanWeGoYet?

I like it, if one don't likey the shows, one can go to bed.

I totally agree. If you don't like the shows, there's always something else to do on the ship at night. Cruise shows, in my opinion, are hit and miss. I really wish they would retire the Broadway shows. They're all the same - that is for those of us who cruise regularly but not for first time cruisers. When those shows are on we find something else to do like go to a lounge and listen to live music.

Jammen - I LOVE your drinks cruise countdown calendar!

We don't like the production and Broadway shows, so we find something else to do (movies on the laptop). We usually enjoy the comedians, jugglers and magicians. I would love to see a Cirque type show, but we've never seen one onboard. They must be included in other shows and not listed in the schedule.