We LOVE the Viking Crown Lounge!!!!!!!!!

I just read a short review of a westbound TA on Oasis. Since they added all those new cabins and took away the Viking Crown Lounge that definitely takes away the appeal for us to sail on that ship!!!!

We cruise for the views of the ocean. Period. We LOVE the sea and prefer to enjoy it from a vantage point like the Viking Lounge where you don't have to wrap up in a blanket or stand in the blazing sun!!!

Now, if you want that view the cruise line is forcing you to pay for a suite!!!

It is sad to us that they are moving this direction. :mad:

I love the VCL as well, though one of the reasons I love it is so often it's a nice quite space to watch the ocean go by. I do have to agree, it's often underutilized.

I still hate to see it be eaten up for other uses, especially uses I probably won't have access to, like suite lounges.

Majesty has best VCL in the fleet. If not for the rock wall blocking aft view you'd have 360° panoramic views. Was on Legend this year; they crammed so much (too much?) into that space so now the portion of VCL with public access is more like a "nook". But at least it is there. With Quantum and Anthem there is no VCL.

I start every cruise in the VCL, enjoy it a lot. If it is underutilized much of the blame can be placed on CD's and Activities staff that do not schedule events there.

Our first cruise on Mariner we spent a lot of time in the VCL both day and night as they had activities going on that appealed to us. It was our "go to" place.

On our next trip we thought we knew where to go. We tried many times to go to the VCL and found it empty most of time. We like to interact with others on our cruises, so this was not where we wanted to be. We eventually found other place to "hang out".

While we enjoy the views and would love to see them stay, they have chased most people away so they are very underutilized. Underutilized space is not generating profit so they go away.

Also, with the push to bring families on board people are going in different directions with cruising. Royal is not the relax and enjoy cruise line any more, but the go, go, go one for the family. Now that our kids are older and not sailing with us as much we may be "going, going, gone" with a lot the changes happening.

We love the Oasis and Allure, but the "removal" of the Viking Crown is probably a deal-breaker for us moving forward. That was the only place on Oasis and Allure that you could sit and have a drink with an ocean view. The ships are fantastic, but offer little to no feeling of being at sea.

I start every cruise in the VCL, enjoy it a lot. If it is underutilized much of the blame can be placed on CD's and Activities staff that do not schedule events there.

I agree about the underutilization of the VCL. It is a great place to sit and relax. I think one problem is simply that newer cruisers don't know about it.

As far as scheduling events there, it could be a problem. The configuration is not really set up for events. Access is limited because only two elevators serve the VCL and they are often difficult to find.

We too have been on cruises where the VCL was underutilized in years past and that's what made it special. But on our last two cruises it was often difficult to find a seat!!! People love that space and view without having to pay for it!!!!! It has been the BEST spot on the ship for our beloved sail aways!

I'll probably get flamed for this, but the Voyager class ships are not our favorite even though we have been on them for several cruises and will be on another in January. We think the Royal Promenade is an ugly, closed in space with no views of the ocean what so ever!!! Nothing much of interest there for us. Looks more like the inside of a crowded prison!!!! Just our humble opinion.

We LOVE the Radiance, Vision and Sovereign class of ships. We have the Jewel booked for Alaska in May.

RCCL. Bring back the views!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Viking Crown Lounge was a signature design element of every Royal Caribbean International cruise ship. Started in the 70's, the VCL was the highest guest-accessible area on board offering at least a 180 degree view. That is until now.

Fast forward to 2014. The Quantum of the Seas is the first ship in the fleet that will not have a Viking Crown Lounge. It was replaced with the North Star. And guess what, it's going to cost you. Cha-Ching!

If it is underutilized much of the blame can be placed on CD's and Activities staff that do not schedule events there.

The Viking Crown Lounge was a signature design element of every Royal Caribbean International cruise ship... The Quantum of the Seas is the first ship in the fleet that will not have a Viking Crown Lounge.

Great posts... my biggest disappointment is not seeing the VCL on Q when it was being built. It'll be interesting to see how I feel about it when I'm on, but I too wish to see the signature VCL as the ship sails in.

Like LMaxwell says, why are more events not scheduled there? Trivia would be incredibly easy for example. On the flip side my 2 cruises this year, Navigator and Serenade, the VCLs were empty. How can RCL justify this hi cost real estate on the ship when us, the paying customers who "vote" with our wallets, do not even bother to use this venue?

Shame that it's gone on Q... I would love to see a photo of Q with a VCL photo-shopped onto it just to see what it would look like without Northstar!!!!! :)

There has been only one time where I have actually seen the VCL full of people at capacity on my cruises. Most of the time when I would go in there it was virtually empty...a good place to chill out away from the crowds and you can always get a "Window" Seat"! I like the view facing the pool deck. I go there and people watch and watch some of the contest going on with a nice drink and no crowds. But as with everything, not just on cruise lines, if you have space that is being severly under utilized, it will eventually go away such as the case on Oasis and not being built on the new Quantum Class Ships! I don't believe Royal had any choice but to come up with something new for that space. At the end of the day it is always about the "bottom line". Businesses are in the business to maximize profits and the CEO still has to answer to a Board of Directors concerning that bottom line! I hate to see them go away....But I can understand! :cool:

A couple observations: First, the VCL has slowly trended towards being underutilized fleetwide. Undoubtedly, they wouldn't repurpose space that was profitable. Second, the VCL on Oasis and Allure are even more underutilized because there are so many other venues. Third, the VCL on Oasis and Allure are probably the least appealing. Because of the width of the ship, and the configuration of the VCL, the panoramic view is nowhere near as impressive as on the Freedom class and other smaller classes.

I know that Freedom of the Seas is going into dry dock I believe in January.

Does anyone know if they will be killing off the Viking Crown at that time!!!!!!! :mad:

All I've heard so far is that the game and card rooms will become a specialty restaurant.

Just my honest opinion, but I've been less and less impressed with the VCL when it basically overlooked the pool deck. Yeah, you can see the ocean off to the side, but it was nowhere as nice as something like the Colony Club on Radiance-class where you could actually have a wide view of the ocean while inside. This was the biggest drawback I see with the aft loft suites on Oasis/Allure (which they have corrected for Quantum) ... who wants to pay that much money and have a view of the basketball courts?

Sorry for the newbie question, but what is the Viking Crown Lounge (or what was it, as the case may be)? A place for C & A members at a certain level to hang out?

Thanks!

The Viking Crown Lounge was for all guests, regardless of C&A level. It was a unique feature on Royal's ships, located aft, above the pool deck, with windows usually giving an expansive view of the ship and ocean.

I believe this is one of the first VCLs:

sunvikingcrown96.jpg

All I've heard so far is that the game and card rooms will become a specialty restaurant.

I read on this board (so I'm not sure if true!) that during the dry dock they are moving the Crypt nightclub up to that top floor where Olive & Twist and VCL are on the Freedom of the Seas. Which is ok if we can still use the VCL for a pre or post dinner cocktail until the nightclub gets going later, kinda makes sense.

I read on this board (so I'm not sure if true!) that during the dry dock they are moving the Crypt nightclub up to that top floor where Olive & Twist and VCL are on the Freedom of the Seas. Which is ok if we can still use the VCL for a pre or post dinner cocktail until the nightclub gets going later, kinda makes sense.

That's how it worked on our recent cruises on Navigator and Enchantment.

Edited by clarea

Fast forward to 2014. The Quantum of the Seas is the first ship in the fleet that will not have a Viking Crown Lounge. It was replaced with the North Star. And guess what, it's going to cost you. Cha-Ching!

For a regular ride on North Star, it'll be free. If you want to book it for a special occasion or some other special event, there will be a cost.

While the VCL was beautiful on Oasis and Allure, it didn't have a great view overlooking the pools. And at night, there was some big structure right in front of the windows. That always bothered me.

Quantum will have Two70º, that will have windows overlooking the aft. I miss a Schooner bar (like on Radiance class) with a view!