Celebrity Cruises Orders Two New Iconic Ships

Bababooey Land

I truly hope that whoever made that statement was incorrect. Why would X would choose to keep their oldest M class ship over another "younger" one?

Because it's the flagship of that class?

That's what they did with the "C" class, kept Century and sold Mercury which was two years younger.

When they state in the press release:

"On this stunning new ship we will bring our guests even closer to the must-see destinations of the world"

have they somehow engineered a way to have this larger ship (than M class) sit higher in the water, weigh less or something so that it is able to navigate shallower waters....I'm not an engineer but thinking perhaps something new is coming that will permit this....some combo of river cruise ships and oceangoing making it easier to get to these ports.....or is that just not possible...don't know why they would make this comment unless they mean something entirely different then what it states.....:confused:

They will be wider so need less draught?

I'm looking forward to 2018...we sailed the Eclipse at age 2 months and the Silhouette before her 1st birthday. Can't wait to sail the new baby!

Wonder what the new builds will be named? NCL had a naming contest when the Breakaway was being launched...Celebrity Cruises are you reading?

Hi there,

Of course we are! :)

Because it's the flagship of that class?

That's what they did with the "C" class, kept Century and sold Mercury which was two years younger.

Agreed. Both Mercury and Galaxy were gone years before Century will leave the fleet.

I'm really excited about the new ships as well. :):)

Celebrity did a great job on improving the bathroom in the S class ship.:)

Now, I only hope that Celebrity can improve upon the storage space in the cabin. Are you listening Celebrity??? Please make the storage more like the M class ships.

My biggest two issues with the S class ships are: :eek:

•The over the bed storage is very hard to access. You have to be real tall or stand on the bed. Please redesign - maybe put them on hinges so the shelf can be lowered, like some kitchen cabinets I have seen.

•Please use an even number of drawers, and not so deep. The deep 3 drawers are hard to split between 2 people. Plus, it's hard to fill them up as you can't see what's on the bottom.

Thanks for listening Celebrity! Can't wait to hear more details.:)

My spouse and I would also love to see a true promenade deck!

I wonder whether the new builds will do away with traditional, fixed-seating dining? It seems that Select Dining is growing in popularity, with Select often being oversubscribed and guests being closed out. Personally, I think that's where the cruising population is heading; query whether Celebrity might use the new ships to go all "my time"? At the very least, I hope they provide more space for Select than is allotted now, to accommodate the growing demand.

My very first thought was if they will fit under the bridge so they can sail from Baltimore.

Celebrity is far and away our favorite line, but we have taken quite a few RCL cruises out of Baltimore-particularly since the Mercury left.

Glad they are not building mega ships.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

It seems the definition of what a mega ship is has changed . 2900 is a lot of pax.

Perhaps this is no longer considered a mega ship but it is still a very big ship.

This is not criticism. I understand the economics where more passengers = lower costs P P.

I still don't see how this class of ships will " deliver small ship itineraries " Mr. Fain.

I assume they will go more toward the Royal Caribbean "Dynamic Dining" concept and move further from a traditional dining/cruise experience. Which means more revenue and higher costs. I still enjoy the traditional dining rooms but understand that things change and evolve.

I have a theory as to how the new ships can be smaller than S-class but accommodate more passengers than S-class:

No traditional dining room. If all restaurants are pay-as-you-go specialty restaurants, they can eliminate the dining room altogether.

That two story giant mega-space that creates no revenue whatsoever for Celebrity can be eliminated giving ample room for Ben & Jerry's, Johnny Rockets, etc. and also free up more space for additional revenue producing passenger cabins.

I think you have Celebrity confused with Royal Caribbean. I don't see Ben & Jerry's and especially Johnny Rockets as "modern luxury". More like "shopping mall". If they include those restaurants, they might as well include rock climbing, flow riders, and ice skating and change the name from Celebrity to Royal Caribbean Jr.

Edited by fortinweb

My very first thought was if they will fit under the bridge so they can sail from Baltimore.

Celebrity is far and away our favorite line, but we have taken quite a few RCL cruises out of Baltimore-particularly since the Mercury left.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I would love to have a Celebrity ship in Baltimore!!!!

I assume they will go more toward the Royal Caribbean "Dynamic Dining" concept and move further from a traditional dining/cruise experience. Which means more revenue and higher costs. I still enjoy the traditional dining rooms but understand that things change and evolve.

I suspect you may be right. I know I like the idea of one restaurant that is formal every night, with everything else smart casual.

Greetings

It's nice to see new builds for Celebrity but what's this French shipyard's history building cruise ships. We know Myer Werft builds high quality products. Would anyone trade a German built car for a French built car?

Good Sailing

Tom

The next two Oasis Class ships will be built at STX France and the first two were built at STX Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chantiers_de_l%27Atlantique

I have a theory as to how the new ships can be smaller than S-class but accommodate more passengers than S-class:

No traditional dining room. If all restaurants are pay-as-you-go specialty restaurants, they can eliminate the dining room altogether.

That two story giant mega-space that creates no revenue whatsoever for Celebrity can be eliminated giving ample room for Ben & Jerry's, Johnny Rockets, etc. and also free up more space for additional revenue producing passenger cabins.

That is a terrible idea. If X does this, I would not cruise on that ship.

Geeze, who wants Johnny Rockets, etc. that you can find in most any shopping mall in the USA.

Greetings

It's nice to see new builds for Celebrity but what's this French shipyard's history building cruise ships. We know Myer Werft builds high quality products. Would anyone trade a German built car for a French built car?

Good Sailing

Tom

So right...

Great news and not building Oasis size ships.

Typing w/one hand and using the other to make rude gestures at everyone on the RCL forum who hooted me down that any Cruise Line would build anything smaller than their new Quantum class, and even going to far as to predict ships larger than Oasis class were the way. "Bigger is better, and got to get more paying customers aboard."

Uh-huh, not like you can profitably sail a 6000-passenger ship on every route, regularly, unless it's full. Not every route can support that much business.

Nicely done Celebrity.

Greetings

Good Sailing

Tom

They did build the World's first megaships, the RCI Sovereign class of which two are with Pullmantur (Sovereign and Monarch) and Majesty still with RCI (all three are over 20 years old as I recall). They are also building the 3rd and 4th Oasis class ships for RCI. Here is their website with other companies ships listed including the Celebrity Millenium class. http://www.stxeurope.com/sites/France/products/Pages/Cruise-vessels.aspx

I know Meyer Werft recently got an interest in STI Finland. Don't know if they also have one in STI France. STI is a South Korean Corporation.

ps, my DS19 Citroen was by far the best European car I ever owned. ;)

Greetings

Good Sailing

Tom

This is basically the same company that built the M class ships as that company, Chantiers de l'Atlantique, was acquired by STX Corporation to form it's STX France unit in 2008. A scan through Google and a Wiki on the shipyard shows they've built quite a few well known ships over the years including several cutting edge ships for RCL, Princess, Cunard, Crystal and NCL among others.

I would love to see a new ship on the West Coast !

The new Panama Canal is expected to be in service in early 2016. From what I understand the S class ships, as well as the scheduled new builds, will be able to pass through the new canal. This means that the S Class and new Edge ships will be able to transit the canal making it much more practical to reposition to the west coast as well as making Panama Canal cruises possible for these ships.

Edited by Lsimon