Celebrity Cruises Orders Two New Iconic Ships

Bababooey Land

Greetings

It's nice to see new builds for Celebrity but what's this French shipyard's history building cruise ships. We know Myer Werft builds high quality products. Would anyone trade a German built car for a French built car?

Good Sailing

Tom

All the Millie class were built at Saint-Nazaire as well as QM2, so they do have a track record for quality.

If I had to pick one major structural change I hope they'd incorporate into the ship it would be the return of an additional entertainment lounge so they wouldn't have to have nighttime dance/entertainment bands in the atrium like they do on S class ships. The dance and entertainment events in the atrium do attract more people on impulse but the atrium is a very poor place for attending entertainment due to the acoustics and lack of seating areas. Music there is also disruptive to the many other venues and services located on the atrium.

A second wish, although I think it would matter to fewer people than the above, would be a larger/nicer walking/jogging path - either up on deck or on a wrap around promenade. I'm not sure this is much of a priority for Celebrity as they cut back on the area they had on the M class ships both with the Solstice design and the additional cabins added to deck 11 on the M class ships a couple years back.

The new Panama Canal is expected to be in service in early 2016. From what I understand the S class ships, as well as the scheduled new builds, will be able to pass through the new canal. This means that the S Class and new Edge ships will be able to transit the canal making it much more practical to reposition to the west coast as well as making Panama Canal cruises possible for these ships.

The clearance at the Bridge of the Americas is 201 feet, too low for many large cruise ships including the ships included in the Solstice class.

I believe that only one ship in the class, the Solstice, has had a modification that allows her to retract her top masts to slip under 200'' about 61 meters

I'd like to see the new ships built so that they could pass under the bridges before Sydney and Montreal... 49 meters

Edited by A Sixth?

The clearance at the Bridge of the Americas is 201 feet, too low for many large cruise ships including the ships included in the Solstice class.

I believe that only one ship in the class, the Solstice, has had a modification that allows her to retract her top masts to slip under 200'' about 61 meters

I'd like to see the new ships built so that they could pass under the bridges before Sydney and Montreal... 49 meters

Ooooo, I second this wish.

How fabulous it would be to see a Celebrity Ship get up the Magnificent St Lawrence River all the way to Montreal !!!!!!

Cheers!

Interesting - thanks for pointing that out as I was unaware of that limitation. It seems like it would make sense for the new ships to be designed to accommodate these bridges.

I did find one site which indicated the Air Draft (max height) of the Silhouette http://maritimt.com/batomtaler/2011/celebrity-silhouette.html

It shows the Silhouette at 56.15 meters (185 feet). I wonder if that is incorrect or if the Silhouette had a different design and a lower air draft.

thinking of names it might be nice to have a genuine Celebrity tie in on the name - such as Oprah or Kardashian

Will these new ships have a larger aft?

Or perhaps the aft will.....

...... on second thought maybe I should quit before I get kicked off the boards.

Edited by Crazy Cruzer

How great to read this wonderful news !!

I hope that over the coming years, Celebrity will have some great "enticement" contests/features for all of us who will anxiously be awaiting the new launches, and to build on the excitement !!

* Name the ships-Win a cruise

* Live Video Blog on Inaugural Sailings

* Win a trip to the Sail Out/Christening

* Vote for Godmothers

etc...

And I am sure Celebrity will be personally contacting many of us very, very soon :D:D, to get our "expert" advice on planned offerings/venues/design plans etc. for the new ships…I mean, who better to ask, than the Cruise Critic Celebrity Fans !!??

Gonna be a fun few years of anticipation !! :)

BBL

we finally got it!!! enjoy!!!!!!!!!

"Our new class of ship will set the standard for premium world travel and deliver the next generation of modern luxury experiences that our guests know and love," said Michael Bayley, president and chief executive officer of Celebrity Cruises. "STX France designs and builds some of the most innovative and stylish cruise ships in the world, and project EDGE offers them the opportunity to again set a new standard for modern iconic architecture. On this stunning new ship we will bring our guests even closer to the must-see destinations of the world, while indulging them onboard in the most luxurious accommodations, the finest culinary experiences, and the best hospitality delivered by our dedicated staff."

My translation: More Suites, especially at the top end. Expanded extra charge restaurants. Competion will no longer be the mainstream lines, but geared to winning over the true Premium cruiser.

Interesting - thanks for pointing that out as I was unaware of that limitation. It seems like it would make sense for the new ships to be designed to accommodate these bridges.

I did find one site which indicated the Air Draft (max height) of the Silhouette http://maritimt.com/batomtaler/2011/celebrity-silhouette.html

It shows the Silhouette at 56.15 meters (185 feet). I wonder if that is incorrect or if the Silhouette had a different design and a lower air draft.

Well, the Lions Gate Bridge at Vancouver is the same height as the Bridge of the Americas and they modified the Solstice's top masts to fit

Found this from a post a few years back....

The distance from the waterline to the highest point on the ship is commonly referred to as an Air draft.

Sister ship Enchantment of the Seas has an air draft of 164 feet so I imagine Rhapsody of the Seas is the same.

Some others for comparison:

QE2 171'

Celebrity Mercury - 177'

Voyager of the Seas - 208'

Oasis of the Seas - 236'

Celebrity Solstice - 200'

Grand Princess - 188'

Queen Mary 2 - 203'

Millennium-class 180'

Carnival Dream 203'

Carnival Destiny 195'

Caribbean Princess-class 213'

Edited by A Sixth?

Is it me or did Celebrity just put the boots to Meyer Werft.

I was under the impression that when Meyer bought STX Finland

that Royal, Celebrity and NCL had made some kind of deal for ships

to be built in Finland.

I know cost always is the biggest part in the decision as the where to

build and I've always heard the France somehow puts money up to help lower the final cost in order to keep jobs at the yard but didn't see the coming at

all.

Any thoughts.

Because it's the flagship of that class?

That's what they did with the "C" class, kept Century and sold Mercury which was two years younger.

Don't believe that was the reason,probably done because Galaxy and Mercury has more veranda. When Century was built she had very few verandas, they added some later in a drydock. Mercury and Galaxy were redesigned to add many verandas prior to launch.

Is it me or did Celebrity just put the boots to Meyer Werft.

I was under the impression that when Meyer bought STX Finland

that Royal, Celebrity and NCL had made some kind of deal for ships

to be built in Finland.

I know cost always is the biggest part in the decision as the where to

build and I've always heard the France somehow puts money up to help lower the final cost in order to keep jobs at the yard but didn't see the coming at

all.

Any thoughts.

I believe I read somewhere that M/W was pretty full.

Don't forget a clothesline in the bathroom, and drawers in the nightstand. :)

I don't know about the clothesline and I am torn. The S Class Showers have glass doors which I love but due to the glass and the curvature I can't see how they can put in the retractable clothesline like in the M Class. I do not want to give up the glass doors and revert to shower curtains so they would need a new design to incorporate both great features. But I would prefer glass door if I had to choose lol

we finally got it!!! enjoy!!!!!!!!!

"Our new class of ship will set the standard for premium world travel and deliver the next generation of modern luxury experiences that our guests know and love," said Michael Bayley, president and chief executive officer of Celebrity Cruises. "STX France designs and builds some of the most innovative and stylish cruise ships in the world, and project EDGE offers them the opportunity to again set a new standard for modern iconic architecture. On this stunning new ship we will bring our guests even closer to the must-see destinations of the world, while indulging them onboard in the most luxurious accommodations, the finest culinary experiences, and the best hospitality delivered by our dedicated staff."

My translation: More Suites, especially at the top end. Expanded extra charge restaurants. Competion will no longer be the mainstream lines, but geared to winning over the true Premium cruiser.

I concur. I think that the new suite class and AQ will make up the majority of the ship. I also think they will reduce the size of the suites to the size of a Seabourn cabin ~ 300 ft, to allow for more of them.

Clearly Celebrity has decided that there is more $ to be made catering to the higher end of the cruise world going forward.

A perfect fit on a Celebrity ship would be a Ruth's Chris Steak House

I'm a big fan of Ruth's Chris but I'd prefer to have a really high end signature style more in line with Murano's venue, which to me is a perfect private label venue for Celebrity. There is already Tuscan Grill for the steak lover.

Celebrity is a bit shy of a seafood venue, but if we are using our imaginations, I'd be thrilled to consider a Daniel or Oceanaire type menu-venue with interary inspired seafood-fish options as special-specials.

Edited by MizDemeanor

I'm a big fan of Ruth's Chris but I'd prefer to have a really high end signature style more in line with Murano's venue, which to me is a perfect private label venue for Celebrity. There is already Tuscan Grill for the steak lover.

Celebrity is a bit shy of a seafood venue, but if we are using our imaginations, I'd be thrilled to consider a Daniel or Oceanaire type menu-venue with interary inspired seafood-fish options as special-specials.

I was thinking of something new and IMHO, I consider Ruth's Chris far superior to Murano. Murano is nice but it is about equal to the MDR experience on Celebrity 20 years.

I was thinking of something new and IMHO, I consider Ruth's Chris far superior to Murano. Murano is nice but it is about equal to the MDR experience on Celebrity 20 years.

I agree! Ruth Chris far superior to Murano, and something like it would be an excellent new addition to X's new ships.

I agree! Ruth Chris far superior to Murano, and something like it would be an excellent new addition to X's new ships.

Wow…Capital Grille is far superior to Ruth's Chris IMHO….but they are chain venues. I can eat that steak at home any time I want. Granted not for $40/pp:D

NCL has Cagney's. Does not make it for fine dining IMHO if that is what one is after. Tuscan is still better than Cagney's.

But I digress. I was thinking fine dining, not steak house. I just wanted some nice fish place…which is missing from Celebrity's venues.