Celebrity Cruises Orders Two New Iconic Ships

Bababooey Land

I am so excited about two things:

1. That Celebrity is ordering two new ships

2. That we will have something new, fun and POSITIVE to chat about on this board :):):).

Additionally we can all speculate on which M class ship goes first. Lots of fun ahead

Edited by dkjretired

Looking at the stats of the previous ships, it is going to be shorter than the S class ships, and only a little bit longer than the M-Class ships; the height looks like it will be on part with an S-Class. In general, it seems like its going to be a taller, shorter ship in general. I am glad they are deciding to stick with (relatively) smaller ships....this will allow them to do the more intimate ports and keep their "modern luxury" theme going. I was going to be disappointed if they decided to go with an Oasis-type class of ship. Overall I am very happy, great news to hear! :D

Looking at the stats of the previous ships, it is going to be shorter than the S class ships, and only a little bit longer than the M-Class ships; the height looks like it will be on part with an S-Class. In general, it seems like its going to be a taller, shorter ship in general. I am glad they are deciding to stick with (relatively) smaller ships....this will allow them to do the more intimate ports and keep their "modern luxury" theme going. I was going to be disappointed if they decided to go with an Oasis-type class of ship. Overall I am very happy, great news to hear! :D

Agreed on the smaller ships, which we prefer. We did a cruise on the NCL Epic, which was a 4300 passenger ship. It always felt crowded.

We like either the S or M class size.

Maybe one of the moderators could combine all the threads about this

topic:D...I know Andy is on a cruise.....maybe Host Walt or Host Anne

could merge them:)

My concern from the stats is that it will carry even more passengers than the first three S-class ships, but be 56 feet shorter and about 5,000 GT (gross tonnes) smaller. (GT is a measure of volume, not weight. In essence, it is a measurement of it's size).

Smaller, but more crowded. Not sure how that equates to an improvement. :(

Edited by fortinweb

My concern from the stats is that it will carry even more passengers than the first three S-class ships, but be 56 feet shorter and about 5,000 GT (gross tonnes) smaller. (GT is a measure of volume, not weight. In essence, it is a measurement of it's size).

Smaller, but more crowded. Not sure how that equates to an improvement. :(

I don't think there will be a problem. Even Celebrity admitted that the Solstice Class had too few cabins for the space available, which is why Reflection has more passengers. That is something Celebrity do, they have a much lower passenger/gross tonnage ratio than most cruise lines.

Also, 5000GT is a pretty insignificant decrease in size.

Not sure where to post...

.Looking forward to the new builds..hope they continue AQ and BLU, .and would also guess Millie would go first.

We recently tried Reflection and it was our least fav S class ship as to design, so hope that is not used as the main model for the new ships...

Although the spa area is beautiful with a larger Relaxation room and PG area, we did not care for it being on a different deck from the Solarium pool, did not like the changing room lockers.

Did not like the truncated nightclub...and it being on same deck as the Solarium pool

Missed Quasar...where the DJ coukd make as much noise as he wanted,

Did not like the big round Sunset Bar...it .truncated the area making it harder to enjoy music and attracted some fairly permanent bar stool occupants.....

we did enjoy BLU and had a fun cruise but prefer other S class ships..hope they are used models

guess we have some time to dream about what they will be like

Exciting news !!

I too am looking forward to the months & years of POSITIVE topics & speculation (day dreaming) that will bring to this CC Forum

Looking at the Announced Stats, I do not see tho where this is a "smaller" series of ships...

At 2900 Pax - 117,000 tonnes - and 984 feet long x 123 feet wide x 190 feet high this footprint is truly not that far off from the Solstice Class Ships

Infact, I took a look at Wikipedia, and their listing of the largest cruise ships...

Celebrity's S-Class holds positions #28 thru #30 as follows:

#28 = Reflection

#29 = Silhouette

#30* = Solstice - Equinox - Eclipse

* As spot #30 is a 3 way tie... The next spot on the list is #33

As announced these new EDGE ships will slot in at spot #33

"Edging out" (pun intended) P&O's Ventura which currently weighs in at 116,000 tonnes and dimensions of 950 feet long x 118 feet wide (Paxs 3092 - 3597)

Wikipedia - Largest Cruise Ships = http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_world's_largest_cruise_ships

So ya, these new builds are hardly smaller ships as claimed by the Press Release... They are infact 20 feet longer and close to 20 feet wider than the M-Class Ships

So I am guessing overall they will have a lot more in common with the S-Class than the M-Class when it comes to passenger ratios (infact essentially taking on more pax than The Reflection on a slightly smaller ship :( )

As for Retirements...

I have said in other similar topics that Celebrity seems to like the 15 - 17 year model...

I'm guessing first in will be first out... So Millennium (2000) - Infinity (2001) - Summit (2002) - Constellation (2002)

Interestingly, this sees the most beloved (my opinion based on comments made on CC by other Cruisers) M-Class Ships... The Summit & The Constellation sticking around for quite some time...

Not a bad thing.

By 2020, we could therefore be looking at a Fleet that looks like this:

NEW Class = Edge 2 (2020) - Edge 1 (2018)

S-Class = Reflection (2012) - Silhouette (2011) - Eclipse (2010) - Equinox (2009) - Solstice (2008)

M-Class = Constellation (2002) - Summit (2002)

SWEET :D

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Exciting news !!

I too am looking forward to the months & years of POSITIVE topics & speculation (day dreaming) that will bring to this CC Forum

Looking at the Announced Stats, I do not see tho where this is a "smaller" series of ships...

At 2900 Pax - 117,000 tonnes - and 984 feet long x 123 feet wide x 190 feet high this footprint is truly not that far off from the Solstice Class Ships

Infact, I took a look at Wikipedia, and their listing of the largest cruise ships...

Celebrity's S-Class holds positions #28 thru #30 as follows:

#28 = Reflection

#29 = Silhouette

#30* = Solstice - Equinox - Eclipse

* As spot #30 is a 3 way tie... The next spot on the list is #33

As announced these new EDGE ships will slot in at spot #33

"Edging out" (pun intended) P&O's Ventura which currently weighs in at 116,000 tonnes and dimensions of 950 feet long x 118 feet wide (Paxs 3092 - 3597)

Wikipedia - Largest Cruise Ships = http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_world's_largest_cruise_ships

So ya, these new builds are hardly smaller ships as claimed by the Press Release... They are infact 20 feet longer and close to 20 feet wider than the M-Class Ships

So I am guessing overall they will have a lot more in common with the S-Class than the M-Class when it comes to passenger ratios (infact essentially taking on more pax than The Reflection on a slightly smaller ship :( )

As for Retirements...

I have said in other similar topics that Celebrity seems to like the 15 - 17 year model...

I'm guessing first in will be first out... So Millennium (2000) - Infinity (2001) - Summit (2002) - Constellation (2002)

Interestingly, this sees the most beloved (my opinion based on comments made on CC by other Cruisers) M-Class Ships... The Summit & The Constellation sticking around for quite some time...

Not a bad thing.

By 2020, we could therefore be looking at a Fleet that looks like this:

NEW Class = Edge 2 (2020) - Edge 1 (2018)

S-Class = Reflection (2012) - Silhouette (2011) - Eclipse (2010) - Equinox (2009) - Solstice (2008)

M-Class = Constellation (2002) - Summit (2002)

SWEET :D

Cheers!

Sloop

I think the posters referenced smaller than the Celebrity ships, not other companies. I was the first to post a comment about smaller ships, wasn't really thinking of other companies but good research in that post.

Edited by dkjretired

Sloop

I think the posters referenced smaller than the Celebrity ships, not other companies.

Ya I got that... Read my post again

My point is they are not going to be much smaller than S-Class... And considerably bigger than M-Class.

The claims of being smaller and able to go so many places that current Celebrity ships cannot... Just is not the reality based on the stats / numbers announced.

Cheers!