Celebrity Cruises Orders Two New Iconic Ships

Bababooey Land

I' m sure that the new " suite " class will have a more prominent roll on the new ships. Possibly a dedicated area where Michaels club, the restaurant and other amenities will be located.

I envision a modified suite, somewhat smaller and more luxurious, akin to their competition at around 300 sq ft, and of course a lot more of them.

My concern from the stats is that it will carry even more passengers than the first three S-class ships, but be 56 feet shorter and about 5,000 GT (gross tonnes) smaller. (GT is a measure of volume, not weight. In essence, it is a measurement of it's size).

Smaller, but more crowded. Not sure how that equates to an improvement. :(

Exactly

I don't think there will be a problem. Even Celebrity admitted that the Solstice Class had too few cabins for the space available, which is why Reflection has more passengers. That is something Celebrity do, they have a much lower passenger/gross tonnage ratio than most cruise lines.

Also, 5000GT is a pretty insignificant decrease in size.

I don't understand your comment " Even Celebrity admitted that the Solstice Class had

too few cabins for the space available" . It is in conflict with your next line " "That is something

Celebrity do, they have a much lower passenger/gross tonnage ratio than most cruise lines."

Isn't this a good thing ? Isn't this why the Solstice ships were so praised ?

Reflection by all accounts is still a fine ship but according to many here on CC , not as fine.

In short as fortinweb posted , "Smaller, but more crowded. Not sure how that equates to an improvement"

Exactly !

Edited by richstowe

So it appears that the Staff Captain was correct after all, though he did miss the delivery date... ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42660980&postcount=25

"We heard from the Staff Captain on Silhouette who was hosting the Captain's table on our last cruise in March, that X is going to build two new ships that will be the size of the Solstice class, but with a different interior design. He also said that delivery of the first ship could be in 2017, and kept repeating that he expected X to make an announcement very soon. New ships cost money, so it is no wonder that prices are going up..."

Edited by C-Dragons

I'll be first and say the Millennium.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

On another thread someone recently asked me about a theory I had regarding the Millennium. For months I have been thinking the same thing, that the Millennium will be the first to go, and the Infinity will probably be the second.

I am really looking forward to the new ships, whatever their configuration. Can't wait to book! :D

Edited by C-Dragons

A reason to come back to X, I hope. As much as I love the s class ships they are essentially the same design (well, reflection is a bit different and my favorite). Trying our first RCCL cruise in January after a rather staid cruise on azamara earlier this year. X has gotten a little pricey for the well-worn Caribbean itineraries so we are trying Vision out of Tampa for al out half the price. Will see how it compares.

Will this ship go through the new Panama Canal ?

Yes. They will fit in the new, larger locks currently being constructed, which will be about 1,400 feet long and 180 feet wide. They will not fit the current locks, however. And at 190 feet tall, they will just fit under the Bridge of the Americas, which is 201 feet above water level at high tide.

The S-class will also be able to traverse the canal when the new locks are open.

Edited by fortinweb

Mein Schiff 3 has been built by STX Turku in Finland, X Millennium has been built by STX France however. Wondering why the new ships are not built by Meyer Ship Yard who built Solstice Class and also RCL Quantum Class.

$$$$$$$ !! besides, The Myer family group has acquired control of STX....(I could be wrong...a recent decision )..so it'll '' stay in the family''

I'll be first and say the Millennium.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Yep ! One of those winters, she simply won't come back and will join CTRIP joint venture with RCL ( re-uniting with Century).

Quite a logical guess you have !

Sifting thru this very enjoyable dialogue, I get the impression we are concluding two new ''EDGE '' class ships mean two less ''M'' class.....

we ought to be optimistic that perhaps == X == will expand ..Just a thought.

While it makes geographical sense that Millie will sooner or later leave our westCoast for Asia one way and transfer to the joint venture CTRIP ( along with Century), maybe ==X== will keep the other 3 ''M'' and build an expanded program.

Heck...why not ? :)

Mein Schiff 3 has been built by STX Turku in Finland, X Millennium has been built by STX France however. Wondering why the new ships are not built by Meyer Ship Yard who built Solstice Class and also RCL Quantum Class.

Yes, this was my question! [sorry, realise that someone has answered it!]

We were told on our latest cruise that Constellation would be the first to be sold. I found it hard to believe then and still do unless, of course, there is already someone showing interest in the ship ...

Edited by Project_gal

I was really joking but remember with the C class ships they did not do oldest first.

True, but there seems to be more issues with Millie's engine system and condition when reading reviews than the other "M" class....but who knows....I would however expect Connie to leave the fleet last....she had the latest extensive drydock for "solstization" of all the "M" class and is in amazingly good condition....at least as of last Dec when we sailed on her...:)

When they state in the press release:

"On this stunning new ship we will bring our guests even closer to the must-see destinations of the world"

have they somehow engineered a way to have this larger ship (than M class) sit higher in the water, weigh less or something so that it is able to navigate shallower waters....I'm not an engineer but thinking perhaps something new is coming that will permit this....some combo of river cruise ships and oceangoing making it easier to get to these ports.....or is that just not possible...don't know why they would make this comment unless they mean something entirely different then what it states.....:confused:

Edited by Gracie115

I'm looking forward to 2018...we sailed the Eclipse at age 2 months and the Silhouette before her 1st birthday. Can't wait to sail the new baby!

Wonder what the new builds will be named? NCL had a naming contest when the Breakaway was being launched...Celebrity Cruises are you reading?

I am beyond happy with this news and can't wait to see drawings, mock-ups, and watch as they are built! I really enjoyed the cams watching as S-class ships were built. Hope there are cams at this shipbuilding facility!

As for design, I figure that they'll get rid of the lawn. Almost anything would be a better utilization of this space...almost. Please no MUTS!

Yep ! One of those winters, she simply won't come back and will join CTRIP joint venture with RCL ( re-uniting with Century).

Quite a logical guess you have !

Agreed! As soon as the Century was sold, that seemed to me to be the logical progression, as this new venture will look to expand their fleet and the Millennium is already sailing that market.

We were told on our latest cruise that Constellation would be the first to be sold. I found it hard to believe then and still do unless, of course, there is already someone showing interest in the ship ...

I truly hope that whoever made that statement was incorrect. Why would X would choose to keep their oldest M class ship over another "younger" one?

I will hold judgement until I see more.

Smaller ship, more passengers. Thats all we know. Set design elements well over a year away.

Plus, would not be the least bit surprised if one or both of these new builds finds its' home in China.

I'm curious as to how they could make this new class different from the S-class.

I agree that they should probably get rid of the grass. It was unique and interesting, but if someone values the grass enough, they'll just go on the S-class. The space could be better used. I'm sure many of us would like to see another pool, or at least an open area with deck chairs to relieve the crowding the current pool decks have. Perhaps an innovative use of space that will allow deck chairs during the day, and some type of entertainment in the evenings.

I expect there will be more suites, perhaps with the cabins, lounge and restaurant in a dedicated area.

I'm hoping for some different restaurants. Although I'm sure the duplication of restaurants on the ships makes good business sense, but as someone who cruises frequently on the same cruise line, I would love to see different offerings on different ships. Perhaps a different type of casual restaurant instead of the Bistro, or a new ethnic restaurant.

I'd like to see more variety of entertainment; perhaps two smaller showrooms instead of one large one, with a different type of entertainment. It seems comedy shows are popular - perhaps a few more of those.

Count me as someone who is excited by this news and plans to book on the new class of ship as soon as itineraries are released.

I have a theory as to how the new ships can be smaller than S-class but accommodate more passengers than S-class:

No traditional dining room. If all restaurants are pay-as-you-go specialty restaurants, they can eliminate the dining room altogether.

That two story giant mega-space that creates no revenue whatsoever for Celebrity can be eliminated giving ample room for Ben & Jerry's, Johnny Rockets, etc. and also free up more space for additional revenue producing passenger cabins.