Casual night attire in MDR?

bbiggar

This will be our first RCL sailing and wondering what people recommend for casual nights for men. I find it very hard to get my husband into slacks and wondering if nice dress shorts are ok? Easy enough to get him to wear a collared shirt so no problem there.

This will be our first RCL sailing and wondering what people recommend for casual nights for men. I find it very hard to get my husband into slacks and wondering if nice dress shorts are ok? Easy enough to get him to wear a collared shirt so no problem there.

Shorts will be fine. Nothing is enforced.

Shorts are not supposed to be worn in the MDR during dinner service. I believe most ships have a sign at the entrance stating this. However, on casual nights the restriction on shorts does not seem to be enforced. If he wears a collared shirt with sleeves, I don't think he will have any problem at all.

Personally, I would like to wear shorts on some casual nights too and I wish they would relaxed their suggested dress guidelines. I think they will...it's just a matter of time.

Eventhough Dress codes are in a transitional mode on the ships .

If you arrive at MDR in shorts,

be prepared to be turned away

depending on the attitudes of staff at the door.

But there are usually signs at the door

Advising of no shorts.

From RCCL website:

"Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch."

We are just off the Christmas sailing of Oasis. Could not believe what people wore to dinner. Even on formal night, we were in gowns and tuxes, next to people in cut offs and flip flops. Couldn't believe it. I have never seen such a relaxed dress code on any other cruise.

shorts in the MDR for dinner are not permitted.

whether he will be turned away.. is up to him to take that chance.

Shorts will be fine. Nothing is enforced.

and I have seen people being turned away wearing dress shorts at the MDR on Royal ships( and Celebrity)

the ONLY time I ever see dress shorts in the MDR for dinner is on the BERMUDA itineraries. and they are dressed fully.. the dress socks, the shiny shoes, the button down shirt and the tie.

NOT a pair of shorts and sandals.

and I have seen people being turned away wearing dress shorts at the MDR on Royal ships( and Celebrity)

the ONLY time I ever see dress shorts in the MDR for dinner is on the BERMUDA itineraries. and they are dressed fully.. the dress socks, the shiny shoes, the button down shirt and the tie.

NOT a pair of shorts and sandals.

Then we're sailing on different ships. I haven't seen anyone turned away in 7 or 8 years. And that's a fact. It's their policy that allows shorts to be worn.

This thread is bizarre. There are people saying a person will definitely be turned away, others saying you might be turned away, still others saying they've never seen anyone turned away, and others saying they see men wearing shorts in the dining room all the time.

Is it possible all of these things can be true? Seems hard to believe all of it can be true at the same time. It's possible some people are remembering events from cruises a long time ago, or perhaps cruises on a different cruise line. Maybe some people are saying what they wish was true, instead of what is really happening.

I really feel sorry for anyone who is sincerely seeking a factual, true answer to this question. You won't find it here apparently.

This thread is bizarre. There are people saying a person will definitely be turned away, others saying you might be turned away, still others saying they've never seen anyone turned away, and others saying they see men wearing shorts in the dining room all the time.

Is it possible all of these things can be true? Seems hard to believe all of it can be true at the same time. It's possible some people are remembering events from cruises a long time ago, or perhaps cruises on a different cruise line. Maybe some people are saying what they wish was true, instead of what is really happening.

I really feel sorry for anyone who is sincerely seeking a factual, true answer to this question. You won't find it here apparently.

Yes, it's possible for all these accounts to be true. Royal does not consistently apply their guidelines.

Ships handle things differently so people have different experiences. I also think that some tell tall tales though and see the worse in all things cruising but that is a tale for another day.:cool:

Yes, it's possible for all these accounts to be true. Royal does not consistently apply their guidelines.

And bear in mind we are talking either two or three story dining rooms open for nearly 5 hours to accommodate 2000-6000 people; what someone sees on Deck 4 starboard at 5:30PM won't match what someone else sees on Deck 5 port side at 9:00PM, and so on.

In the past year on cruises, I have seen folks, being turned away from the mdr, folks being allowed in the mdr when you have shorts on. I think it depends upon the ship and the staff.

The sign outside the mdr says no shorts, but some people choose to ignore it and are let in, and some choose to ignore it and are turned away.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

JUst off the Liberty

Saw regular shirts and t-shirts on men AND women in the MDR

On the more formal nights, there were alot of men without jackets at the first seating. This was a 5 day cruise

We saw very few couples really "dressed up" . Maybe there were more at the late seating