Left Behind

Kazu; not disputing what you are saying and not being a wise a$$, but do you know who you're looking for when it comes to the port agent? They come in all shapes, sizes and ages, and don't wear a uniform. ;)

I think I can tell after a few days at sea and I always enjoy watching that stuff.

I always ask after to make sure I got it for the first few times.

I find all the goings and comings very intriguing - whether it be a dog at the port that the crew are enchanted with and is quickly whisked away when a tour bus arrives, the customs agents, the medical team to whisk a passenger off, etc., so yes, I do ask.

So if I wasn't sure what I saw I asked and got the answers :)

The joy of small ships :)

Keep in mind, I have not been in Alaska yet which are your examples.

I have only been in Australia & New Zealand, Europe, South America and the Panama & Caribbean, so my experiences are somewhat limited.

I think I can tell after a few days at sea and I always enjoy watching that stuff.

I always ask after to make sure I got it for the first few times.

I find all the goings and comings very intriguing - whether it be a dog at the port that the crew are enchanted with and is quickly whisked away when a tour bus arrives, the customs agents, the medical team to whisk a passenger off, etc., so yes, I do ask.

So if I wasn't sure what I saw I asked and got the answers :)

The joy of small ships :)

Keep in mind, I have not been in Alaska yet which are your examples.

I have only been in Australia & New Zealand, Europe, South America and the Panama & Caribbean, so my experiences are somewhat limited.

Never hurts to ask, does it? ;) Just be sure to ask the right person because the avg crew member, just like the avg cruise ship passenger, is not aware who the port agent is and never comes in contact with him/her

Oh yeah, another thing the port agent is really good at is obtaining, usually prior to the ship arriving, misc. items the crew is in need of but, for various reasons, is unable to get themselves. In Kodiak, AK for instance, the port agent there, a nice guy by the name of Nick, was able to get us three counters at the local Wal-Mart, yes, Kodiak, AK has a Wal-Mart ;) The counters or clickers are used by Security to keep track of the number of pax going into the tenders during tender ops in places like Half Moon Cay, Sitka, AK, Tabuaeran/Fanning Island, Vaitape, Bora Bora, etc.

Never hurts to ask, does it? ;) Just be sure to ask the right person because the avg crew member, just like the avg cruise ship passenger, is not aware who the port agent is and never comes in contact with him/her

thanks Copper - I always thought the ship's officers were a good resource and that's whom I got my information from

good advice :D

great info!

haven't been to Alaska (yet ;)) but I have rarely seen the port agent come on board. When he does (haven't seen women yet sorry), it's not a long stay.

We normally have great views from our verandahs and love watching this stuff.

Certainly we don't have as many days as some, but I think we have been to enough ports over many cruises to have observed.

Interesting what the different experiences are.

Aren't you most usually having breakfast and off for your excursions? :confused: Surely you aren't standing on your verandah or wherever looking for Port Agent. :D

You're 100% correct as usual, S7S! A port agent for HAL will be in every port the ship calls on. As a matter of fact, he, sometimes a she, i.e. in Skagway, AK ;), is usually the first individual up the gangway and into the ship at that port after the gangway has been landed in that port. He/she will first assist, sorta kinda liase, the interaction between the local authorities coming onboard and the ship's Crew Officer (Crew Purser), aka Port Paper Officer on the Vistas and Signatures in clearing the vessel/obtaining the authorization for pax and crew to leave the ship and visit the port, not always an easy process in some countries, like the People's Republic of China.

After this has been completed, the port agent will liase with the GRM and Front Office staff in case of special requests. The port agent will also facilitate shore consults for pax and crew with local doctors, medical facilities and dentists, medical disembarks, and is the person who will assist with flights elsewhere for guest entertainers, crew on leave and pax on emergency disembarks. He/she will take care of any mail/packages to the ship and, as one of his/her last duties, will take mail/packages off the ship just prior to departure.

If someone misses the vessel's departure, be it pax or crew, the port agent will have that individual(s) name, picture and required info and will generally wait a reasonable amount of time on the dock for those individuals after the ship has departed. The port agent will facilitate a hotel stay, if required, and airline/ground transportation for those having missed the ship. It will be the responsibility of those individuals having missed the ship take care of the cost for those expenses

Thanks, Copper.

I always appreciate all the helpful information you share with us.

We know for sure you have it right. :cool: ;)

I know that there are exceptions but most of the people who get left are either drunk or they have just been so busy shopping that they lost track of the time. I find it difficult to feel sorry for them. The ship should leave precisely on time. If they get left, they might learn for next time instead of assuming that the ship will always wait for them.

DON

There are various reasons people may miss the ship and it may not include drinking or shopping. A few years ago in Kauai we had an early afternoon departure and spent the morning driving to the North Shore and turned around with plenty of time (a couple of hours) to get back to the airport, return the car and catch the shuttle back to the ship. Then we hit traffic, really bad traffic, due to road construction that was not there when passed there in the morning. And there aren't alternative routes, just one way to go. We ended up not refilling that gas tank, dropped the car off and they held the shuttle for us. We made it to the pier with 10 minutes to spare.

One day you may miss the ship too, due to no fault of your own.

The second week in Juneau, Alaska, July 2014 saw a dense fog roll in during the afternoon. 43 passengers from the Zuiderdam and Westerdam were stuck on Mendenhall Glacier, dog sledding camps, and Taku Lodge when all flights were grounded. Six passengers spent the night in a dome emergency tent on Mendenhall Glacier; the Taku Lodge folks spent the night; and the dog sledders rode the dog sleds back to a pickup point point for an overnight hotel stay. Both ships left Juneau without the missing passengers.

For those on HAL-sponsored excursion, the local agent arranged for hotels, chartered aircraft to get pax to Skagway; and chartered a whale-watching excursion boat to chase-down the Westerdam just as we were leaving Glacier Bay.

One of those 26 passengers who returned to the Westerdam told me that seven passengers on their excursions were privately paying for their excursions and so were on their own to find their way back to their ship's next port.

Edited by Crew News

The ships have an agent for every port. The agent may or may not be in the port though; there's a difference. That is why having the phone number is essential.

Many times there has been one or two port agents for all the ports on a cruise I have taken. Alaska is a good example of this.

You're operating under the assumption that people READ their documents. ;)

Often, the Agent spends a good deal of the port time aboard.

The second week in Juneau, Alaska, July 2014 saw a dense fog roll in during the afternoon. 43 passengers from the Zuiderdam and Westerdam were stuck on Mendenhall Glacier, dog sledding camps, and Taku Lodge when all flights were grounded. Six passengers spent the night in a dome emergency tent on Mendenhall Glacier; the Taku Lodge folks spent the night; and the dog sledders rode the dog sleds back to a pickup point point for an overnight hotel stay. Both ships left Juneau without the missing passengers.

For those on HAL-sponsored excursion, the local agent arranged for hotels, chartered aircraft to get pax to Skagway; and chartered a whale-watching excursion boat to chase-down the Westerdam just as we were leaving Glacier Bay.

One of those 26 passengers who returned to the Westerdam told me that seven passengers on their excursions were privately paying for their excursions and so were on their own to find their way back to their ship's next port.

A very important message here that should be carefully read,

IMO

I remember you telling us about this.

There are various reasons people may miss the ship and it may not include drinking or shopping. A few years ago in Kauai we had an early afternoon departure and spent the morning driving to the North Shore and turned around with plenty of time (a couple of hours) to get back to the airport, return the car and catch the shuttle back to the ship. Then we hit traffic, really bad traffic, due to road construction that was not there when passed there in the morning. And there aren't alternative routes, just one way to go. We ended up not refilling that gas tank, dropped the car off and they held the shuttle for us. We made it to the pier with 10 minutes to spare.

One day you may miss the ship too, due to no fault of your own.

This is my fear of missing the ship and I've mentioned it many times. Getting stuck in traffic or having transportation issues. This is why private shorex don't work for me.

A very important message here that should be carefully read, IMO
But were they completely on their own, in the sense of having no assistance whatsoever?

Given what Copper10-8 has said, I'd find it surprising:-

The port agent will facilitate a hotel stay, if required, and airline/ground transportation for those having missed the ship. It will be the responsibility of those individuals having missed the ship take care of the cost for those expenses

I bring a marine radio on cruises. I enjoy listening to the ship operations.

In September on Zaandam the ship was waiting for 2 passengers in a Hawaii port. The staff captain asked security the age and nationality of the missing passengers. One was late 60's and the other early 70's. Forget the nationality. He did wait and they arrived 1/2 hour late. From what I hear on my radio, HAL really will do what they can do to not leave folks behind. On that cruise there were many medical disembarkations and the port agents were kept very busy looking after the patients and companions.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will be a devouted ship excursionist going forward. Just not worth saving a few bucks IMHO and risk ruining a vacation.

Let's put this into perspective. I believe we've only heard of this happening once, on one excursion out of many that were offered that day (never mind on the total cruise, during the total Alaska season, during the entire HAL year etc.)

Also, most folks who are doing a private excursion or DIY probably would not consider doing an excursion that involves a plane or other transport that involves a fairly high degree of risk without having some kind of back-up plan.

So....

While I could see saying "For that type of excursion, I would definitely take the ship tour," I cannot see translating that into "I will pay a higher price for a ship excursion even when there is no realistic risk of missing the ship."

I will be a devouted ship excursionist going forward. Just not worth saving a few bucks IMHO and risk ruining a vacation.

HAL excursions are not exempt from being left behind. I do wish I could recall the thread of a couple of years ago about the 60 people left behind in Alaska, and treated pretty shabbily by HAL with regard to hotel, supplies and flights back to Vancouver. I wish the guy who posted all that was still reading here. It was factual, and briefly reported in our local paper. True, the ship put out to sea due to weather, but for the 60 people left behind it was a dreadful experience.

My favorite is on our 2012 Veendam trip to Bermuda. Despite being docked in Hamilton for 3.5 days, we still had 4 people miss the ship that led at 1 p.m.. We saw them as we disembarked in NYC, as they were signing to get their luggage that was at the gangway.

They win the Darwin Award for sure.

HAL excursions are not exempt from being left behind. I do wish I could recall the thread of a couple of years ago about the 60 people left behind in Alaska, and treated pretty shabbily by HAL with regard to hotel, supplies and flights back to Vancouver. I wish the guy who posted all that was still reading here. It was factual, and briefly reported in our local paper. True, the ship put out to sea due to weather, but for the 60 people left behind it was a dreadful experience.

Perhaps you are thinking of a group a couple of years ago...Two different ships, different cruise lines...The people were on an excursion from Skagway to Haines which involved taking the ferry to Haines. The weather got too bad for the ferry to get back to Skagway, and they were stranded in Haines. I think one group was on NCL, and maybe their ship treated them shabbily, or they were on an independent excursion. But a large number were on a ship that put them on an Alaska State Ferry the next day, and then a pane to the next port. One woman was distraught because her husband was left, and his medications were back on the ship. but he and the medications were reunited the next day. EM

Perhaps you are thinking of a group a couple of years ago...Two different ships, different cruise lines...The people were on an excursion from Skagway to Haines which involved taking the ferry to Haines. The weather got too bad for the ferry to get back to Skagway, and they were stranded in Haines. I think one group was on NCL, and maybe their ship treated them shabbily, or they were on an independent excursion. But a large number were on a ship that put them on an Alaska State Ferry the next day, and then a pane to the next port. One woman was distraught because her husband was left, and his medications were back on the ship. but he and the medications were reunited the next day. EM

That may be it - it's quite possible - my memory ain't what it used to be.:rolleyes: But some things do stick in your mind, and the posts by the husband on this forum is what I remember because it scared me to be honest, of doing any excursions (ship or otherwise) that was long or far. Nothing was handled very well at all by HAL according to the husband.

I was watching the Crown Princess sail away from San Diego a few days ago. The ship untied and started to leave, but then the ship pushed back against the dock so that one last couple could get on board. I was viewing from the other side of the ship so I wasn't sure if they tied the ship to the dock or just used the engines to pin the ship against the dock.

I was wondering if re-docking for a late passenger was unusual. In all, this amounted to a ~25 minute departure delay for the ship. The was a ship visit rather than an embarkation.

igraf

I almost always take independent tours and I accept the very very slight risk that if I screw up or if the tour operator screws up, I get left behind. However, I also strongly believe that if you decide to take an independent tour or if you decide to drink too much or if you decide to spend too much time shopping - you should be left.

Assuming that all the people who pay extra for ship tours and if there are no medical emergencies, the ship should leave precisely on time, even if the laggards are running down the dock. Why should people be rewarded for nor wearing watches or not looking at them or being too drunk to see their watch?

Flame away.

DON