Canadian cruisers!!

TRAVEL DOCUMENTATION

Please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the required travel documents. The requirements described below are required by government regulations and policies. They are subject to change without notice.

Royal Caribbean International strongly recommends that all guests travel with a passport that is valid for at least 6 months beyond the end of the cruise.

***This is copied from the Royal Caribbean website.

The key word above is "recommends". I have posted a few times on various threads my experience traveling to the US last year with a passport that expired in 2 months and had no problems. I researched the passport requirements on both the Canadian and US passport websites before I left. Circumstances prevented me from renewing before I left so I was very worried about this supposed "6 month rule". What I learned is the passport requirement for Canadians travelling to the US is their passport must be valid for the duration of their expected stay in the US. So as long as it is valid on the day you return to Canada you are good to go. I did have the customs officer comment that my passport was expiring soon but he was just pointing that out as a reminder for me to renew. No problems at the pier check in with RCL.

Had the same circumstances a few years back , passports expired one week after sailing , contacted Royal and airline, and all was ok , but it does depend on where your traveling, different countries have different rules

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This GOC website provides excellent, up to date information for all countries you might want to visit:

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories

In addition to entry/exit requirements, the site also addresses such topics as security and health, and provides advisories for any current concerns. Well worth checking out any country you'll be visiting.

I e-mailed US boarder control a few years ago and this is what they sent me.

Entering the U.S. - Canadian Citizens/Residents/Landed Immigrants

Published 07/19/2010 05:52 PM | Updated 05/05/2011 03:45 PM |

What documentation, identification, and paperwork does a Canadian citizen need to travel to the U.S.?

Travel by Air:All Canadian Citizens entering the United States by AIR are required to present a valid passport, or an Air NEXUS card when departing from a designated Canadian airport.

Canadian Citizens' passports are NOT required to be valid for six months past their intended date of departure. Their passports must only be valid up until the date of their intended departure.

I have a sister-in-law that works for the Canada Post and she said that there will almost certainly be a strike at the start of July

Thank you for that confirmation (re the passports, but also the strike). I just did my online check in for the cruise to Alaska and on the Celebrity site it says they recommend your passport be good for 6 months after the end date of your cruise. This would be a blanket statement for all cruises though. Right? (Can you tell I'm starting to worry?)

If I wait until after the August cruise it will give me more months on the new passport which at $160 I don't consider cheap.

This GOC website provides excellent, up to date information for all countries you might want to visit:

In addition to entry/exit requirements, the site also addresses such topics as security and health, and provides advisories for any current concerns. Well worth checking out any country you'll be visiting.

Thanks for the link - very helpful. My passport expires a week after my cruise in November - however looks like Spain requires passport be valid at least 3 months post 'arrival' - so I will definitely be renewing it very soon - prior to my departure!

Edited by Froufie

Excellent info. Thanks.

Thank you for that confirmation (re the passports, but also the strike). I just did my online check in for the cruise to Alaska and on the Celebrity site it says they recommend your passport be good for 6 months after the end date of your cruise. This would be a blanket statement for all cruises though. Right? (Can you tell I'm starting to worry?)

If I wait until after the August cruise it will give me more months on the new passport which at $160 I don't consider cheap.

I would e-mail US border and customs get it in writing from them so that you have it for confirmation if the cruise line questions you. It is a recommendation from the cruise line and I'm sure it is a blanket statement.

We exchanged a large amount of CND $$ to USD when the CND $$ was at $0.95. We are traveling to Europe so am wondering if it is financially better to use a CND $$ credit card or USD $$ credit card while there??

We exchanged a large amount of CND $$ to USD when the CND $$ was at $0.95. We are traveling to Europe so am wondering if it is financially better to use a CND $$ credit card or USD $$ credit card while there??

Just a matter of doing the math...

If you buy something that costs 1 Euro and pay on your USD credit card, it'll cost maybe $1.15 USD. And that USD of yours was purchased at about $1 USD to $1.05 CAD. So that 1 Euro purchase actually costs you around $1.21 CAD.

But right now, purchasing 1 Euro directly in CAD will cost you about $1.47. So you're definitely better off using your USD credit card and your pre-purchased U.S. currency.

I took the mid-market rates from XE.com and added about 2%, and did some rounding. The numbers aren't exact but the difference between the two is sufficiently clear that a few percent here or there and rounding won't change the outcome.

Just a matter of doing the math...

If you buy something that costs 1 Euro and pay on your USD credit card, it'll cost maybe $1.15 USD. And that USD of yours was purchased at about $1 USD to $1.05 CAD. So that 1 Euro purchase actually costs you around $1.21 CAD.

But right now, purchasing 1 Euro directly in CAD will cost you about $1.47. So you're definitely better off using your USD credit card and your pre-purchased U.S. currency.

I took the mid-market rates from XE.com and added about 2%, and did some rounding. The numbers aren't exact but the difference between the two is sufficiently clear that a few percent here or there and rounding won't change the outcome.

Greatly appreciate your analysis. Now I guess the only variable that may change this is if the euro declines in value compared to the CND.

Greatly appreciate your analysis. Now I guess the only variable that may change this is if the euro declines in value compared to the CND.

You're welcome :) Personally I can't see the CAD gaining that much against the Euro any time soon, but who knows what'll happen in the wake of the U.K.'s "Brexit" vote...(well, I suppose some economists have a decent guess but I'm not paying that close attention) :D

I would tend to always go direct between 2 currencies.

The question is......... if you plan to need USD .......... then you will have to buy that back at 0.78 ?

Currency is gambling....... it is not only about math.

I would tend to always go direct between 2 currencies.

The question is......... if you plan to need USD .......... then you will have to buy that back at 0.78 ?

Currency is gambling....... it is not only about math.

I think everybody understands the fact that currency values fluctuate constantly. Our friend was asking a specific question about which option would cost them less -- to use pre-purchased USD or use CAD at the prevailing Euro exchange rate.

They have a utility for the pre-purchased USD now, to realize the advantageous exchange rate they had at the time of purchase. So why not realize those savings now? I don't think it makes sense to "save" the "cheap" USD for later. Money is fungible.

What I would NOT do is end up needing buy extra USD using CAD to pay off the USD credit card (since that would otherwise result in two currency exchanges at the prevailing rates). So if our friend only has enough pre-purchased "cheap" USD to buy 1000 Euros, I would only put 1000 Euros on the USD credit card and put the rest on a CAD credit card.

I purchased a lot of OBC at $1.10 CAD to $1.00 USD, and I plan on using much of the rest of it this year, when I'd otherwise have to pay about $1.32 CAD. It's money that has to be spent anyway as I have a cruise booked. So I'll use my "cheap" USD and get the savings now.

I think everybody understands the fact that currency values fluctuate constantly. Our friend was asking a specific question about which option would cost them less -- to use pre-purchased USD or use CAD at the prevailing Euro exchange rate.

They have a utility for the pre-purchased USD now, to realize the advantageous exchange rate they had at the time of purchase. So why not realize those savings now? I don't think it makes sense to "save" the "cheap" USD for later. Money is fungible.

What I would NOT do is end up needing buy extra USD using CAD to pay off the USD credit card (since that would otherwise result in two currency exchanges at the prevailing rates). So if our friend only has enough pre-purchased "cheap" USD to buy 1000 Euros, I would only put 1000 Euros on the USD credit card and put the rest on a CAD credit card.

I purchased a lot of OBC at $1.10 CAD to $1.00 USD, and I plan on using much of the rest of it this year, when I'd otherwise have to pay about $1.32 CAD. It's money that has to be spent anyway as I have a cruise booked. So I'll use my "cheap" USD and get the savings now.

You interpreted my question accurately. I have access to a sum of USD that if it is financially better than using CND that is what I want to do. When my USD are all spent I will have to decide whether to buy more at the current rate or stay home!:(

Does anyone know the current rate of exchange of any of the cruiselines if you book your cruise in CAD?

I see that some lines are offering Canadian at par for certain cruises but then don't let you have any of the promos that are on.

Last July we went on a Royal Caribbean cruise, booked in CAD and the exchange rate charged by the cruise line was just 10%, a great rate.

Last March we went on an NCL cruise booked in CAD and the rate was 13%. Now it looks like the cruiselines have really upped their exchange rate. If anyone knows what specific lines are charging I'd appreciate knowing.

Does anyone know the current rate of exchange of any of the cruiselines if you book your cruise in CAD?

I see that some lines are offering Canadian at par for certain cruises but then don't let you have any of the promos that are on.

Last July we went on a Royal Caribbean cruise, booked in CAD and the exchange rate charged by the cruise line was just 10%, a great rate.

Last March we went on an NCL cruise booked in CAD and the rate was 13%. Now it looks like the cruiselines have really upped their exchange rate. If anyone knows what specific lines are charging I'd appreciate knowing.

It's approximately 35% but can vary by sailing.

Canadian pricing isn't based on the US price plus conversion. While conversion costs might be factored in, there other influences, just as there are on US prices. Essentially, what will the market bear.

I normally make the comparison before booking, using the US and Canadian sites, and I've yet to see a cheaper US price for a cruise I'm interested in. That doesn't take into account perks available through US TAs, just the cruise fare.

Proceeding with Nexus application. Next cruise for us is MSC out of Miami, anyone use global entry or other at port for extra quick disembark?

There was a separate NEXUS line when we disembarked in April, but it only split off from the main line part way along. Still, the line had moved quickly to that point, and the NEXUS line was very quick.

Proceeding with Nexus application. Next cruise for us is MSC out of Miami, anyone use global entry or other at port for extra quick disembark?

I used Nexus disembarking in Port Everglades. Straight to head of line even in front of Americans. However not sure if Miami has it yet.

Global Entry (Nexus) is currently only available at Port Everglades.

You're quite right. :o Guess I was having a senior's moment when I wrote my previous response, and I thank you for setting things straight! We did split off from the main line and were directed to a quickly moving, shorter line, but it wasn't Global Entry.

Global Entry (Nexus) is currently only available at Port Everglades.

First time cruisers. Just my 14 yr old daughter & myself. Could you provide me a little info on Nexus and thoughts on whether it might be beneficial for us? As you can tell not big travellers.