Canadian cruisers!!

When you get your boarding pass, make sure you let them know about your nexus card and they will add the TSA imprint on it. Also, go to your booking and make sure your Nexus card # is added to the booking. It makes the travel a lot easier.

Every airline has an area to add you card #.

I think it is normally referred to as Known Traveler Number on the airline check in.

My October Harmony offers BOGO restaurants for everyone and I am thinking to try the fee restaurants for the first time. My cruise is booked in CAD but I want to pay BOGO in USD. Did anyone do this successfully? Or I have to take a chance and wait until on board that this will be offered on board. C&A said that I can only book in CAD in advance since the cruise is booked in CAD.

My October Harmony offers BOGO restaurants for everyone and I am thinking to try the fee restaurants for the first time. My cruise is booked in CAD but I want to pay BOGO in USD. Did anyone do this successfully? Or I have to take a chance and wait until on board that this will be offered on board. C&A said that I can only book in CAD in advance since the cruise is booked in CAD.

C&A gave you the correct answer. If you want to pay in US$ you need to waIt until you are on board.

Question for the Nexus folks.

I have my card, I have my flight booked. Its out of the US. I know I can cross the boarder using the card, its very easy. My question is about using it at the airports. How do I do that? It needs to be in my flight information some where? Or do I need to apply my number some where else? I'm looking at avoiding t he long lines at security especially in Orlando.

Walk me through this, its our first time using it at the airport.

Nexus members MAY be able to use TSA PreCheck, which is a form of expedited security screening. It applies at most US airports, with most airlines (but not all). And there's no guarantee that even if you do everything right that you'll get the 'TSA Prechek' designation on your boarding pass.

I wouldn't wait until check in. For most airlines, you should be able to access your reservation on their website and be able to add contact information, frequent flier numbers and 'Known Traveller' numbers...that's the key - you need to add your 'Pass ID' number from the back of your nexus card into the Known Traveller Number in the airline's computer. You may also be able to add it during online check in, or in person at the airport, but I wouldn't leave it that late.

Question for the Nexus folks.

I have my card, I have my flight booked. Its out of the US. I know I can cross the boarder using the card, its very easy. My question is about using it at the airports. How do I do that? It needs to be in my flight information some where? Or do I need to apply my number some where else? I'm looking at avoiding t he long lines at security especially in Orlando.

Walk me through this, its our first time using it at the airport.

It wont help you with the long lines at Orlando airport. It will expedite your passage through Canadian customs when you return. Just be aware that with the Nexus card you have a greater chance of going through secondary inspection coming and going

Thank you Ken. I take a chance and wait until on board.

You're welcome. I've always booked our dinner reservations on board in order to use OBC. Never had a problem getting the day I wanted and within half an hour of my ideal time. Just make sure that one of your first stops once you board is to one of the specialty restaurants to make the reservations.

It wont help you with the long lines at Orlando airport. It will expedite your passage through Canadian customs when you return. Just be aware that with the Nexus card you have a greater chance of going through secondary inspection coming and going

Yes, we've noticed that too at our Vancouver airport (YVR). Anyone know why? We use the Nexus to get in the shorter queue for initial screening of bags, but once through that when we go to U.S. Customs, we go through the regular line for the declaration of goods.

At land crossings, though, can't be beat. Just did it two days ago, took two minutes in the line up and once at the booth, the agent just waved us through without any questions whatsoever. :)

Yes, we've noticed that too at our Vancouver airport (YVR). Anyone know why? We use the Nexus to get in the shorter queue for initial screening of bags, but once through that when we go to U.S. Customs, we go through the regular line for the declaration of goods.

At land crossings, though, can't be beat. Just did it two days ago, took two minutes in the line up and once at the booth, the agent just waved us through without any questions whatsoever. :)

The problem with Nexus and land crossings is it doesn't do a damn thing to circumvent the traffic jam on the bridge leading up to inspection.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

How's it goin' guys [emoji3] Sailing in 8 weeks, travelling w/ 2 minors and their parents just started drafting the consent letter, Royal requires it to be cruise specific, i get that but my question is: will this letter suffice when we also cross the border?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by egvra76

How's it goin' guys [emoji3] Sailing in 8 weeks, travelling w/ 2 minors and their parents just started drafting the consent letter, Royal requires it to be cruise specific, i get that but my question is: will this letter suffice when we also cross the border?

I have traveled out of country many times with various nieces and this is the consent letter that has worked best for me. It served both Disney and Royal in the past as well as going through customs. I do get it notarized as well.

LETTER OF CONSENT sample.docx

Edited by ubish00

I have traveled out of country many times with various nieces and this is the consent letter that has worked best for me. It served both Disney and Royal in the past as well as going through customs. I do get it notarized as well.

this is it!![emoji106] forwarded as i speak.. thanks so much !go leafs go( sorry can't help)[emoji3]

I am divorced and have travelled with my daughter many times.

always had her father sign a letter.

the sample is good.

I agree that it must mention the cruise and the ports of calls.

( copy past the cruise itinerary on the letter)

But the cruise line does not realize that you have to get into the USA with those children. And the border patrol will need to know that you are authorized to take them out of the country.

If you are flying, I usually include the flight dates - times - numbers on the letter. ( depart and return)

ps - I have only been asked for the letter once, and that was actually coming back into Canada, and my daughter was about 12.

There are definitely different views of what should be included in a consent letter. As instructed by the lawyer, I deliberately do not include flight specific information as I add one extra day. Should I run in to any problems I have a little wiggle room.

This letter was initially drafted for weekend getaways to the States and land vacations to the Caribbean. Since I have travelled with nieces as young as 1 year old I have had to show it on several occasions. I use it mainly for flying but works perfect for cross border road trips as well.

I stopped getting them notarized once the kid turned 16 unless it was specifically required. A few years ago I took my then 16 year old niece on a Royal cruise and it had to be notarized. So glad I had it as they copied it for their files.

In summary you must use a format that you feel most comfortable with.

There are definitely different views of what should be included in a consent letter. As instructed by the lawyer, I deliberately do not include flight specific information as I add one extra day. Should I run in to any problems I have a little wiggle room.

This letter was initially drafted for weekend getaways to the States and land vacations to the Caribbean. Since I have travelled with nieces as young as 1 year old I have had to show it on several occasions. I use it mainly for flying but works perfect for cross border road trips as well.

I stopped getting them notarized once the kid turned 16 unless it was specifically required. A few years ago I took my then 16 year old niece on a Royal cruise and it had to be notarized. So glad I had it as they copied it for their files.

In summary you must use a format that you feel most comfortable with.

I'm thinking about taking my nieces for a cruise. Until what age is a letter needed?

Thanks!!

The problem with Nexus and land crossings is it doesn't do a damn thing to circumvent the traffic jam on the bridge leading up to inspection.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I guess we are lucky enough at the Niagara Falls at the Whirlpool bridge Only Nexus can use that bridge so very seldom is there any waiting to drive across to the US here.

At Toronto we have never had to go to secondary inspection we just fill out the

info on the computer take the print out and walk up to the customs agent and hand in our card.

We fly at least 4 times a year.

other questions i need to ask on behalf of the parents: Do they need to attach photocopies of their credentials to the letter? Do i need mine?

You dont need to attach copies of any credentials. The parents sign the letter in front of the lawyer/ notary and then he/she will stamp it with their seal. The letter references your passport. It's up to the parents to vet that the information in the letter is correct. The lawyer is vetting that it's the parents who sign the letter of consent.

We consolidated the letter to cover the 3 checkpoints(Border, Airlines and Pier) which I believe they will be needed, and here's a sample text:

"to travel on October 2016 to Miami Fort Lauderdale flying from Buffalo Int'l Airport aboard SouthWest Airlines. They will then sail on Cruise Ship: Oasis of the Seas c/o Royal Caribbean Int'l "..

Thanks for the advice:)

Used nexus at Port Everglades and at YYZ. Made what would've been at least a 45-60min wait down to. ZERO.

When you said Port Everglades, do you mean FLL airport or at the port when we check in with Royal? This gonna be my first cruise after getting Nexus.

Nexus members MAY be able to use TSA PreCheck, which is a form of expedited security screening. It applies at most US airports, with most airlines (but not all). And there's no guarantee that even if you do everything right that you'll get the 'TSA Prechek' designation on your boarding pass.

I wouldn't wait until check in. For most airlines, you should be able to access your reservation on their website and be able to add contact information, frequent flier numbers and 'Known Traveller' numbers...that's the key - you need to add your 'Pass ID' number from the back of your nexus card into the Known Traveller Number in the airline's computer. You may also be able to add it during online check in, or in person at the airport, but I wouldn't leave it that late.

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know what is 'TSA Prechek" when I went to Orlando last December, and the security told me that Nexus isn't qualified, I guess that was because I didn't tell the airline staff about it when I check in, so didn't get it stamped on my boarding pass.

Regarding adding the 'Known Traveller Number', I've already booked my upcoming flight to FLL through Expedia, should I add my Nexus number to my Expedia profile, or have to do it through AC? And is the 'Pass ID' the first set of numbers only, or it includes the 2nd set of letters + numbers? Mine is something like 123456789 SC123.

When you said Port Everglades, do you mean FLL airport or at the port when we check in with Royal? This gonna be my first cruise after getting Nexus.

Nexus will not save you any time checking in at the pier but it will save you time when you are disembarking the ship. Look for the signs to the right of the customs line. It is available at terminal 18 (Oasis and Allure) not sure about the other terminals.