Canadian cruisers!!

After reading this, thought I'd check if I could prepay my gratuities for a December 2016 cruise. Can't see where to do that (would only do it if the 'deal' was still there as our Cdn. $ conversion may be better down the road).

Any clues as to how to do this on the internet? :confused:

I'm not sure that you can do it over the Internet. I've always called.

Just a warning for Canadians using ATMs in Europe.

I recently returned from Ireland and using my debit card withdrew 220 euros from an ATM. Fine no problems. However when I received my statement it showed I had withdrawn 249 euros. When I pointed out this discrepancy to my bank they said this is what some banks in Europe are doing now. They convert it to US dollars and give the rate on that.

This is the first time this has happened even years ago when our dollar was low. Plan to order from my bank and take euros with me for my next trip.

Hello, I just returned from Amsterdam and Denmark and the same thing happened, my eeuro withdrawal was converted to USD then converted again to CDN. my CREDIT UNION who explained to me that I took money from a bank, not a credit union and so I got hit with the double conversion. My husband took money from his bank account and did not get converted to USD first. Maybe this is the explanation for you too.

Edited by molly2kit

Thanks. Will call and see what's up.:rolleyes:

Called RCCL and because I booked through a travel agent (first time ever), she'd have to call. So I contacted her and she said that RCCL had no idea what she was talking about. Huh?

I so much prefer doing it all myself, but the price I got (from the agent) on the cruise was $2000 less than what was offered by RCCL itself.:cool:

Go figure.

Hello, I just returned from Amsterdam and Denmark and the same thing happened, my eeuro withdrawal was converted to USD then converted again to CDN. my CREDIT UNION who explained to me that I took money from a bank, not a credit union and so I got hit with the double conversion. My husband took money from his bank account and did not get converted to USD first. Maybe this is the explanation for you too.

Yes I used a credit union (Van City). Do have a TD debit card too so will use that next time. Don't like carrying too much cash.

Thank you for the clarification.

Just a warning for Canadians using ATMs in Europe.

I recently returned from Ireland and using my debit card withdrew 220 euros from an ATM. Fine no problems. However when I received my statement it showed I had withdrawn 249 euros. When I pointed out this discrepancy to my bank they said this is what some banks in Europe are doing now. They convert it to US dollars and give the rate on that.

This is the first time this has happened even years ago when our dollar was low. Plan to order from my bank and take euros with me for my next trip.

What the hell? That's ridiculous. Was it a banks ATM? Edit to add I see both of you use a credit union at home. Holy cow, that's awful.

Edited by Cruise Junky

That's insane. Thanks for the heads up as I'll be going to Europe for the first time in September and want to be well prepared. I was going to take money out while I was there but I think I'll just take out enough money and use my credit card for the bigger purchases.

I thought perhaps this was something new but just read that there was a credit union involved.

The past two years we have visited Europe and have always used our TD debit card to get Euros or pounds from either an ATM or a teller inside the bank. We have never had them convert it to USD first.

Called RCCL and because I booked through a travel agent (first time ever), she'd have to call. So I contacted her and she said that RCCL had no idea what she was talking about. Huh?

I so much prefer doing it all myself, but the price I got (from the agent) on the cruise was $2000 less than what was offered by RCCL itself.:cool:

Go figure.

I always use a travel agent and RCCL will only talk to the travel agent.

I thought perhaps this was something new but just read that there was a credit union involved.

The past two years we have visited Europe and have always used our TD debit card to get Euros or pounds from either an ATM or a teller inside the bank. We have never had them convert it to USD first.

This is comforting as I'm with TD as well. Did you find the rates were better doing it this way?

This is comforting as I'm with TD as well. Did you find the rates were better doing it this way?

I have been using my VanCity debit card for years and this is the first time this had happened.

I think RCL have learned from Canadian banks, on how to make money by charging outrageous rates, I think it about 1.4 :(

I didn't hear too many complaints about RCI when, for the longest time, it was offering by far the best exchange rate available. :) Like many others, I purchased quite a bit of OBC during that period.

:confused: To be honest I really can't remember the exact rate but I know it was not converted to USD first. It couldn't have been too much different than what we could buy the Euro for here or I would definitely have remembered. We found we didn't really need a lot of cash over there and used our Sears (no foreign exchange fee) Mastercard for a lot of things.

I know using the card may have cost us a few cents more but it was just handy not having to worry about carrying cash with us. I actually brought Euros back since we didn't need them all. :)

I didn't hear too many complaints about RCI when, for the longest time, it was offering by far the best exchange rate available. :) Like many others, I purchased quite a bit of OBC during that period.

That is why we are Canadians , only complain when things get really bad and only complain on an open forum where no one can do anything about it :D

I always use a travel agent and RCCL will only talk to the travel agent.

I always prefer doing it all myself. I can do the calling and get immediate answers. I don't like 'bothering' the agent, but have no problem 'bothering' RCCL after they take my money.:rolleyes:

My agent checked yesterday and it was 1.42! Nuts:eek:

That is nuts...who would ever buy OBC at that rate? :confused: If they used a rate similar to the banks, they could still make a bit of money and some people might buy OBC in advance just for the sake of convenience. I can't imagine anyone paying 10% more than the going bank rates, though.

That is nuts...who would ever buy OBC at that rate? :confused: If they used a rate similar to the banks, they could still make a bit of money and some people might buy OBC in advance just for the sake of convenience. I can't imagine anyone paying 10% more than the going bank rates, though.

Couldn't agree more. Wonder what they're smoking.:rolleyes:

I just saw this thread being titled Canadian Cruisers so I hope I'm not throwing everything off by changing the subject.

I wanted to throw this info out for those of you might be like me and not know this info.

Going on a cruise in mid August. My passport expires the following Feb. 10 so that puts me just under the 6 month mark.

Have always heard not to travel out of the country using a passport with less than 6 months to go on it so not wanting to take the chance I went to CAA and got my photos done. When I commented about the 6 month bit I was told at CAA that if I was only going to U.S. ports or cities then that rule did not apply. My cruise is out of Vancouver and going to Alaska. But now I already had the photo taken so on I went with all paperwork in hand to the closest Service Canada that takes passport paperwork. There the man told me exactly the same thing and added on that the photo is good for 6 months after being taken. So he advised me to keep everything, use the passport I have in August and when I return send everything in. Then he added the part that really made my decision easy....a possible postal strike coming up meaning I would be in a real panic because I couldn't receive the new passport via mail! Yikes!

Thought some others might not be aware of this. Of course most cruises include ports that are not U.S. ones.

I just saw this thread being titled Canadian Cruisers so I hope I'm not throwing everything off by changing the subject.

I wanted to throw this info out for those of you might be like me and not know this info.

Going on a cruise in mid August. My passport expires the following Feb. 10 so that puts me just under the 6 month mark.

Have always heard not to travel out of the country using a passport with less than 6 months to go on it so not wanting to take the chance I went to CAA and got my photos done. When I commented about the 6 month bit I was told at CAA that if I was only going to U.S. ports or cities then that rule did not apply. My cruise is out of Vancouver and going to Alaska. But now I already had the photo taken so on I went with all paperwork in hand to the closest Service Canada that takes passport paperwork. There the man told me exactly the same thing and added on that the photo is good for 6 months after being taken. So he advised me to keep everything, use the passport I have in August and when I return send everything in. Then he added the part that really made my decision easy....a possible postal strike coming up meaning I would be in a real panic because I couldn't receive the new passport via mail! Yikes!

Thought some others might not be aware of this. Of course most cruises include ports that are not U.S. ones.

I e-mailed US boarder control a few years ago and this is what they sent me.

Entering the U.S. - Canadian Citizens/Residents/Landed Immigrants

Published 07/19/2010 05:52 PM | Updated 05/05/2011 03:45 PM |

What documentation, identification, and paperwork does a Canadian citizen need to travel to the U.S.?

Travel by Air:All Canadian Citizens entering the United States by AIR are required to present a valid passport, or an Air NEXUS card when departing from a designated Canadian airport.

Canadian Citizens' passports are NOT required to be valid for six months past their intended date of departure. Their passports must only be valid up until the date of their intended departure.

I have a sister-in-law that works for the Canada Post and she said that there will almost certainly be a strike at the start of July

Edited by mattR

Good post. Always check the rules of the destination you are going to. We should never "assume" anything.

I will check..... passport, visa, vaccine........requirements.

this is usually on the booking confirmation

only takes a few seconds and can avoid many issues.

TRAVEL DOCUMENTATION

Please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the required travel documents. The requirements described below are required by government regulations and policies. They are subject to change without notice.

Royal Caribbean International strongly recommends that all guests travel with a passport that is valid for at least 6 months beyond the end of the cruise.

***This is copied from the Royal Caribbean website.

Edited by nseit1974