Caribbean vs Bermuda

HR Queen

We seem to have become very addicted to cruising in the Caribbean. We have gone the last 8 years mostly on Celebrity to escape our cold long winters. So we were thinking of adding a 2nd cruise this year and there are some really good offers on a Bermuda Cruise. We are not sure if we would enjoy this one?? Can anyone comment on that? If we went in mid May would in be cold there? We would like to go before all the kids are out of school. Any advise you could give would really be appreciated!

We seem to have become very addicted to cruising in the Caribbean. We have gone the last 8 years mostly on Celebrity to escape our cold long winters. So we were thinking of adding a 2nd cruise this year and there are some really good offers on a Bermuda Cruise. We are not sure if we would enjoy this one?? Can anyone comment on that? If we went in mid May would in be cold there? We would like to go before all the kids are out of school. Any advise you could give would really be appreciated!

I have been to Bermuda 3 times on a one day or overnight port of call, twice on Princess and once on Celebrity. All of them were in early to mid May. I have another Bermuda trip booked for May 8th 2016. The weather was beautiful. It was warm but not humid. The water isn't as warm as it is in the Caribbean that time of year however it was still warmer than the Atlantic ocean off of Long Island in July. Our next trip will be the first time that we only go to Bermuda and I am looking forward to it. We like to cruise off peak when school is still in session. You would be safe booking up to the last week in May. May is just after spring break and just before the kids in the Northeast get out of school which is sometime in mid June.

Edited by Iamcruzin

So we were thinking of adding a 2nd cruise this year and there are some really good offers on a Bermuda Cruise. We are not sure if we would enjoy this one??

While Bermuda is not technically a Caribbean island, I think it's safe to say many around here think it's the BEST Caribbean island. I know I do.

We've cruised there three times. Flew there once for a full seven day stay. Best vacation I've ever had.

We've done Bermuda cruises 4 times over the years, the last two being on Celebrity in 2012 and 2013.

I love the fact that we stay in one place for two overnights and another full day. No clock watching to get back to the ship by a certain time and there's plenty to keep you occupied while you're there.

Bermuda is a gorgeous little island, the people are wonderful, the beaches are beautiful.

We also like to cruise before school lets out here in the east, but I find May to be alittle too cool for us, as we love the beach and relaxing in the water. In early May the water is not that warm.

We have sailed both times during the 2nd week of June and the water was tolerable, but still on the cooler side for me, but the overall weather is just perfect.

Try Bermuda...I don't know a single person who ever went there and didn't enjoy it![/

Edited by CruisersTimesThree

Another vote for Bermuda. Friendly people (but no aggressive panhandlers or flea-market vendors), clean, attractive, prosperous place. I've been all over the Caribbean, and except for the BVI, have no desire to go back now that I've found Bermuda.

Edited by Langoustine

Bermuda is not "caribbean-y" and is a much different island experience. It is upscale, clean, delightful -- I love it. If you want the beach experience though, I think May will be a bit cool for you......of course you are always guaranteed BEACH! when cruising the Caribbean...two different experiences in my opinion - what a horrible choice to have to make, no? ;)

While Bermuda is not technically a Caribbean island, I think it's safe to say many around here think it's the BEST Caribbean island. I know I do.

We've cruised there three times. Flew there once for a full seven day stay. Best vacation I've ever had.

Bermuda is not only "not technically a Caribbean island," it's not in fact a Caribbean island. It's in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, nowhere near the Caribbean Sea. It's like saying Tenerife is not technically a Caribbean island.

Bermuda is great. It has beaches. It has warm weather (part of the year). But it's not a Caribbean island.

Bermuda is all of the things we love about the Caribbean; the gorgeous weather, friendly people, beautiful beaches, turquoise water, etc., but without the element of poverty, drugs and hustlers. Bermuda is safe, clean and affluent. The only downside that comes with that is that it's expensive. It's a wonderful island though.

I did Celebriry Summit to bermuda 2 times last year, once memorial day weekend, other last weekend of August, once in Aqua once in an inside cabin.

Both seemed to be out of the realm of overwhelming kids - though during summer there are lots of them. Water was a tad chilly for the may/june one, but I still swam at the beach, it was in the mid 80's air temp wise.

I too enjoy the multiple nights in ports, it's the one thing that disappoints me about most itineraries - not having any nightlife experience or late dinners at local eateries and clubs.

Go, and try for late in may.

Have cruised to Bermuda 8 times over the years...both with 3 days on the island as the only destination on a 7 day and as an overnight/day stop on TAs.

Would go back in a heartbeat if the itinerary fit. Somehow the island/people/climate is a good fit for us.

The Caribbean? Pretty much gave it up years ago. Just not our cup of (often very hot and humid) tea.:)

Bermuda is an awesome island to visit. We cruised there the middle of May and the air temp was warm, but the water was a little cold for me. We enjoyed the 2 nights and 3 days we spent on our Celebrity Summit cruise. It is a very clean and safe island but it is very expensive. We will go back in a heartbeat if the timing is good.

We will be there starting June 4. I hope the water is warm enough to enjoy. That is the one thing my cruise companion really wants to do. I kinda talked her into doing a cruise to Bermuda so I hope the water is warm.

Laura

We will be there starting June 4. I hope the water is warm enough to enjoy. That is the one thing my cruise companion really wants to do. I kinda talked her into doing a cruise to Bermuda so I hope the water is warm.

Laura

This page (and other sites) will give you the average water temperatures in Bermuda by month.

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_00015d.htm

BTW, I know someone who grew up in Bermuda, and she has told me that Bermudians never go in the water until after (our) Memorial Day, so it sounds like you should be okay in June!

Have a great trip!

BTW, I highly recommend lunch at the (original) Swizzle Inn. This may not look like much, but the Bailey's Bay Fish Sandwich is one of the best sandwiches I've ever eaten, and it pairs perfectly with Rum Swizzle. :)

LunchatSwizzleInn.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

I am wanting to cruise to Bermuda for the very fact that your cruise ship is a perfect home base. Could some one address two concerns: I am concern that the Atlantic is a little to rough (seasickness). Also, are the entertainment/activities on board reduced do to the time in ports?

I am wanting to cruise to Bermuda for the very fact that your cruise ship is a perfect home base. Could some one address two concerns: I am concern that the Atlantic is a little to rough (seasickness). ...

Bermuda is indeed a great cruising destination thanks to the overnights in port.

Anytime you are aboard a ship in the ocean you can encounter rough seas. And what's "too rough" for some may be fine for others. Cruising to Bermuda, you will certainly be in the open ocean.

There are of course medications you can take if you are prone to seasickness, but no one will be able to tell you whether or not your particular cruise will encounter calm or rough waters.

May will be cool. Best choice for combination of price, weather and few kids is first two weeks in June. Wait till prices plummet after final payment to book. My cousin sailed on Summit last Summer during first week of June for $499 per person plus tax in an oceanview cabin.

We loved sailing out of NYC on our way to Bermuda, going by Manhattan and New Jersey and out to sea.

As mentioned Bermuda is affluent, so we felt a very different feeling than most Caribbean islands.

My wife found her favorite perfume at a perfumery on Bermuda. I would recommend that.

We have never cruised to bermuda but we have vacationed there many times. Its lovely. We always went July August. The water was fabulous !!!!!

We went to various beaches and never saw that many kids or college kids. Again Bermuda is more expensive perhaps that is why.

Many times we would chat with cruise passengers while at the beach and every time several would complain about choppy waters and seasickness.

We cruise allot, but again, never to Bermuda. I dont know if the waters are just choppier sailing there. You may ask on the "ports" board

New York to Bermuda can be rough -- I've done this route several times as NYC is a very convenient departure point for me. Each time it was rough. I love rockin' and rollin' and even try to book an aft suite to have the motion emphasized! :p But I know of many people who won't sail from New York due to the seas and motion sickness. As others have said, there are products that I hear work quite well. It is an amazing experience sailing past the Statue of Liberty and then down to Bermuda - a fantastic voyage in my opinion.

Edited by heidik

If you sail to Bermuda from NY, then you can expect smooth sailing to Bermuda, but is't aways more rough on the way back. The crew members explained to us that it is caused by the path the ship take on the way back. It's 2 sea days on the way there and ionly 1 sea day on the way back. I'm very sensitive to the motion, but I was fine on this cruise.

We wend in the begining of August. The weather and water were just great! I heard from lots of people that it's still cool there in May and June. Especially the ocean water.

Bermuda is our favorite island, & while we have never flown to Bermuda, we have cruised there 8 times. Assuming the same weather yes, you will feel the trip down, & the trip back more so than on a Caribbean sailing. However in all of our sailings, we have never needed a patch, dramamine, or other meds for motion sickness, & my wife has a somewhat sensitive stomach when it comes to motion sickness. I would say to take some motion sickness meds for the sea days, just to be safe.

What others have said regarding sailing down the Hudson River, past the NYC skyline & the Statue of Liberty (chills), is true & unforgettable, but you will not experience that sailing out of Bayonne, NJ. You can see the lower NY skyline, & the Statue from afar, & will sail under the Verrazano Bridge, which is cool, but it is not the same as sailing from Manhattan.

Try Bermuda, you won't be sorry!

If you sail to Bermuda from NY, then you can expect smooth sailing to Bermuda, but is't aways more rough on the way back. The crew members explained to us that it is caused by the path the ship take on the way back. It's 2 sea days on the way there and ionly 1 sea day on the way back. I'm very sensitive to the motion, but I was fine on this cruise.

We wend in the begining of August. The weather and water were just great! I heard from lots of people that it's still cool there in May and June. Especially the ocean water.

I actually find the opposite of this is true. In 4 sailings to Bermuda from NY, we had rough seas on the way down on 2 trips. One bad enough that more then half of the group we traveled with were seasick and stayed in their cabins all morning. The crew told us that by lunchtime it would all pass and it did.

I've been told that the area were the ship cuts off at Cape Hatteras to head to Bermuda is the "rough" patch.

The other 2 times, nothing too bad, just the usual rocking.

I have never encountered rough seas for the trip back. It's always a little rocky, but the return trips were no problem.

As many people have said...there are many remedies to help overcome seasickness. Our favorite is ginger, either pills we take each morning, or ginger sucking candy which usually offer immediate relief. Both are readily available at most health food stores or on Amazon.

The fact of the matter is, percentage-wise you are more likely to encounter rough seas going to or from Bermuda than you are when doing the Caribbean. Whether a particular cruise will have rough seas of course depends on the seas that week. In the Caribbean, I have had seas flat as glass, as well as seas up to 30' high in the Gulf of Mexico (thankfully the latter is a much more rare occasion, but believe me it did happen!). So the risk is higher, but no guarantees either way. Whether the reward is worth the risk is up to the individual.

I have never cruised to Bermuda but have been there several times joining my husband on business trips. I really enjoyed the island - very pretty, minimal poverty, friendly people, nice scenery and beaches. There are downsides besides potential rocky seas. It is considerably more expensive than the Caribbean. You are not allowed to rent and drive your own car so are dependent on ferries, taxis, local buses or scooters (which I personally don't recommend as tourist accidents are common, but to each their own). The beaches are pretty but I don't think the water ever gets 'warm' to the extent it does in the Caribbean. It is swimmable in the summer months, but warm would be stretching it IMHO.

So all in all, there is a lot to like about Bermuda but whether it is for you depends on what you are looking for and your tolerance for a higher probability (but no guarantee) of rougher seas than the Caribbean.